TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think there is a suspect, unless this was maybe a hit. If police have an idea who the person I think they could have enhanced the clip enough to make an id of the vehicle, and make an arrest by now.

It doesn’t feel to me like a case well in hand, with a proper suspect, but who knows...

I don’t think there is a suspect, unless this was maybe a hit. If police have an idea who the person I think they could have enhanced the clip enough to make an id of the vehicle, and make an arrest by now.

It doesn’t feel to me like a case well in hand, with a proper suspect, but who knows...

The truck is the key to all of this, not the video of the perpetrator. The truck, if identified, has a name and address attached to it at the DMV.

I think we can be sure that nobody with even the slightest relationship or connection to Elizabeth owns a Nissan Frontier or they would be in custody.

That they haven't found that vehicle yet, with such a good description, means that it's connection to her is either non-existent or very well hidden. And will also go out on a limb and say that it isn't someone who lives nearby, at least no similar truck is registered to a nearby address or we would likewise have seen an arrest. I am sure LE pulled all the local the registrations for trucks of that type.

That leaves a couple of possibilities. 1) This was committed by a total stranger with no connection EB or 2) the person does have a connection but the truck is registered to someone else or is registered out of state.

That a total stranger would just happen to pull up to a random garage sale just a few minutes after her husband left, murder someone, and slowly drive away seems a bit too improbable to me.

The truck is the key to all of this, not the video of the perpetrator. The truck, if identified, has a name and address attached to it at the DMV.

I think we can be sure that nobody with even the slightest relationship or connection to Elizabeth owns a Nissan Frontier or they would be in custody.

That they haven't found that vehicle yet, with such a good description, means that it's connection to her is either non-existent or very well hidden. And will also go out on a limb and say that it isn't someone who lives nearby, at least no similar truck is registered to a nearby address or we would likewise have seen an arrest. I am sure LE pulled all the local the registrations for trucks of that type.

That leaves a couple of possibilities. 1) This was committed by a total stranger with no connection EB or 2) the person does have a connection but the truck is registered to someone else or is registered out of state.

That a total stranger would just happen to pull up to a random garage sale just a few minutes after her husband left, murder someone, and slowly drive away seems a bit too improbable to me.

The truck is distinct enough that MOO is that police know who the vehicle belongs to. Now the police have to get warrants for social media and phones, find burner phones. Just getting warrants for social media takes awhile. It’s also possible that a judge won’t sign a warrant (yet) because the probable cause isn’t there (yet).
Again MOO but I think the police are busy analyzing technology awhile. Look at how long it took for arrests in the Teresa Sievers murder.

The truck is distinct enough that MOO is that police know who the vehicle belongs to. Now the police have to get warrants for social media and phones, find burner phones. Just getting warrants for social media takes awhile. It’s also possible that a judge won’t sign a warrant (yet) because the probable cause isn’t there (yet).
Again MOO but I think the police are busy analyzing technology awhile. Look at how long it took for arrests in the Teresa Sievers murder.

True about Sievers...
I'm hoping LE was/is seriously interested about the gaming those folks did together, and their vehicles -- serious enuff to hear what her husband had to say about the individuals and any "peculiarities," such as anybody paying too much attention to either him or his wife -- like jealousy or a try at flirting.
Sometimes finding a suspect is the easiest thing about investigating the crime -- obtaining proof so as to have enuff to write up solid Probable Cause for an arrest, etc.
So, we wait.

RANDOM SHOOTER?
CRAZED PSYCHO JEALOUS SHOOTER?
HIRED HIT?

JMO As to just my viewing of video evidence. It's looks so cold and calculated. Not a crime of Passion IMO.
Like she was a target for cold blooded COLLATERAL Damage.
This shooter did not pause or flinch. CCTV, breaking dawn, target outside sitting up garage sale, and shooter arrived in costume armed (time) all in 15 min or less. In a neighborhood of all places. (Her address, her home, her garage sale, her day off, her guard down.)
I wonder if she was in the way of someone? did she know something?
Who would benefit from her death.
I know we have all speculated many theories.
This shooter had his target and he made sure she knew before the gun raised and he/she made sure she would never talk again.
It was cold & calculated. This shooter made sure she knew she was going to die. MOO I think the shooter let her know why and who.
JUSTICE4ELIZABETH

RANDOM SHOOTER?
CRAZED PSYCHO JEALOUS SHOOTER?
HIRED HIT?

JMO As to just my viewing of video evidence. It's looks so cold and calculated. Not a crime of Passion IMO.
Like she was a target for cold blooded COLLATERAL Damage.
This shooter did not pause or flinch. CCTV, breaking dawn, target outside sitting up garage sale, and shooter arrived in costume armed (time) all in 15 min or less. In a neighborhood of all places. (Her address, her home, her garage sale, her day off, her guard down.)
I wonder if she was in the way of someone? did she know something?
Who would benefit from her death.
I know we have all speculated many theories.
This shooter had his target and he made sure she knew before the gun raised and he/she made sure she would never talk again.
It was cold & calculated. This shooter made sure she knew she was going to die. MOO I think the shooter let her know why and who.
JUSTICE4ELIZABETH

That's a great post all around. Collateral damage, not crime of passion but calculated. Those points stand out to me. And the last part makes me wonder: why would a shooter want the victim to know - what kind of circumstances? If so does that indicate that their rage is directed at her rather than killing her to hurt someone else?

I don't know if the note was to distract Liz so she wouldn't see the gun. They fired a split second after she started to look at the note.

A neighbor or more came to her aid and called 911 so these people may have seen the note. One film clip from the local news showed the husband talking to these neighbors with his mother that same day. He was detained at a police car by the house for apparently some time, but at some point he did talk to neighbors and most likely so did his mother.

It is also odd that the killer shot 4 times and still she survived approximately a full day. So what does that say about the shooter?

I wonder how astute local police are about some basics on social media; presumably they can look up a lot on their own but even so they probably need hard documentation from the social media companies and internet / phone service providers.

I would think that others in the family would still be in danger from this killer and so would anyone who has been involved in or knows info about the crime.

This week marks 9 months.

Last edited:
I don't know much of anything about the 501st Legion except that you have to "get in" and I heard somewhere that it is an exclusive group to get into. I wonder if someone wanted in but was turned down. And if that person chose to blame Liz for this and sought revenge. From what I see the group is a lot of great people but I'm sure there is a 1 to 2 percent of whackos who are also big fans of this activity.
As cosplay can e used to escape reality by some, or to create an alternate reality, I think that this is probably a good guess as to the percentage of wackos involved.

One could probably double your figure and add another 2-4% of 'marginal' individuals who to varying degrees, could transfer cosplay world issues into the real world. So…. With a possible cosplay link, there could be what- 6% of the participants that could merit a closer look.

Identifying those individuals could start with social media reviews to see who may have a uhnmm….. “disproportionate” focus in cosplay. Then perhaps interview selected organizers to see if anybody was declined admittance, left following a dispute, or is known be “extremely focused” on the alternate world.

A truly deep review might need an undercover detective attending conventions, joining a group with relaxed admittance standards (maybe as say, Boba Fett the bounty hunter?) and just talking with and listening to the participants.

Profiles have been given a bad name, but when reviewing cos players even those heavily involved, people with families, dating interests outside of cosplay, multiple social outlets, sufficient income to develop other interests, known to have other sources of esteem and value etc. might not be the population to start with. Rather, initially screen for those who appear to lack those things.

Profiles have been given a bad name, but when reviewing cos players even those heavily involved, people with families, dating interests outside of cosplay, multiple social outlets, sufficient income to develop other interests, known to have other sources of esteem and value etc. might not be the population to start with. Rather, initially screen for those who appear to lack those things.
Yes!

Again, profile has negative connotation, but a screening would need to start with some individuals and not others as one needs to start somewhere. Barring any other indicators with specific individuals, perhaps initially screen cosplay participants for somebody who has some of the following characteristics:

Social media shows limited, or no other interests besides cosplay: Increased chance of cosplay being focus of life outside work. Potentially increases importance of status, esteem derived from cosplay world.

Limited income: Pricier cosplay gear favored by established groups represents a real sacrifice. Convention hotels room, meals out etc. also represent more of an investment. If investment does not Pay” in regards to friendships, status etc. bigger sense of loss. Limited income also means less funding for other interests and could indicate less esteem being derived from work.

Romantically unattached, or significant other also heavily into cosplay: No significant other means less interests beyond cosplay. Significant other in cosplay and heavily involved could lead to possible dispute impacting relationship with that person. Thus, disputes might magnify.

No children: Fewer distractions from cosplay interest. Fewer areas for fulfillment other than cosplay.

Interest in cosplay after negative life event: Greater chance of such an individual feeling that cosplay represents their chance to start over. Thus, greater emotional investment.

If someone could find links to clarify some of this, that would be great.

1. The note - this has not been confirmed nor denied by LE or SB as far as I know, but it keeps getting brought up. There was someone on another site who claimed to be a long-time family friend that confirmed the note, but also didn't spell "Barraza" correctly, so the validity of that is null as far as I am concerned. Is there a credible source regarding a note?

2. A neighbor or more coming to her aid - The neighbor on the news said she heard gunshots and called 911, but didn't say anything about going outside to check on Liz, unless I am remembering the neighbor's interview incorrectly.

Again, I just want clarification and links to credible sources to this information.

I have also been thinking about the sale of their home and would like some insight from someone with LE background or a realtor who would know about disclosing violent crimes to potential buyers. Does a seller need permission form LE to sell a home where a violent crime occurred? Could a potential buyer inquire about the safety of the home considering the circumstances? Any other insight would be appreciated.

If someone could find links to clarify some of this, that would be great.

1. The note - this has not been confirmed nor denied by LE or SB as far as I know, but it keeps getting brought up. There was someone on another site who claimed to be a long-time family friend that confirmed the note, but also didn't spell "Barraza" correctly, so the validity of that is null as far as I am concerned. Is there a credible source regarding a note?

2. A neighbor or more coming to her aid - The neighbor on the news said she heard gunshots and called 911, but didn't say anything about going outside to check on Liz, unless I am remembering the neighbor's interview incorrectly.

Again, I just want clarification and links to credible sources to this information.

I have also been thinking about the sale of their home and would like some insight from someone with LE background or a realtor who would know about disclosing violent crimes to potential buyers. Does a seller need permission form LE to sell a home where a violent crime occurred? Could a potential buyer inquire about the safety of the home considering the circumstances? Any other insight would be appreciated.

Hi BingodinoDNA,

The main thing about the note or whatever it is, is that you can see on the video that the shooter hands Liz something and she immediately reads it or looks at it. I don't think there is any official confirmation of what it actually was.

Neighbors heard shots, called 911, and came outside. In my own opinion they obviously found Liz and stayed with her until medical help arrived. It seems also to follow that a neighbor might see the note or object. But they also might not see it because their main concern would obviously be Liz. You can see from the street in the video that a person is on the ground. Her neighbors in at least one case had become friends so they would certainly go check if they saw something amiss - Liz on the ground in front of her house after shots fired and in the midst of her garage sale. I would also think it's possible that law enforcement would tell any neighbors or witnesses to be sure not to mention or discuss anything they saw.

About home sales, I looked this up as far as how things are now and it's not as cut and dried as you would think, but when it comes to murder on the property, yes, this surely was disclosed, especially since the murder took place just months before the property was sold.

Right now, the statute says this:

"A seller or seller’s agent shall have no duty to make a disclosure or release information related to whether a death by natural causes, suicide, or accident unrelated to the condition of the property occurred on the property or whether a previous occupant had, may have had, has, or may have AIDS, HIV related illnesses, or HIV infection."

This comment from a realtor's website: "...However, the Texas Property Code does not mention homicide (murder), and this becomes a gray area that is often discussed in real estate law circles."
Disclosing Death in Texas | San Antonio Real Estate

Duty to Disclose: Selling Stigmatized Property | LegalMatch

This was a heartless, cold, brutal murder of a young woman in the prime of her life. I can't wait till they catch the sick people responsible.

Last edited:
It appears to me that the murderer pretended to approach Liz like stopping the car to ask an address on a piece of paper . She/he seems disguised as a stranger woman not to startle her until shooting from very close range preventing her even scream or run away. Had Liz recognized her she would come closer or step back maybe but she did't move until the killer came near. My guess is the paper was empty perhaps and Liz appaled an instance and moved back.
He/she may be a hired hitter.

I still keep thinking LE had to have been able to get some video of the truck leaving the neighborhood. There are all kinds of surveillance, security, traffic cams in most busy areas these days. They should have been able to find and review footage from near the subdivision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member