TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep having trouble with why this wasn't just a drive by? What is with the conversation? After the gun was pulled out, they didn't shoot immediately.. there was more words and a gesture with the shooters left hand. If the motive was to kill her, why draw this out.. Why not conceal yourself? Why keep your hair down and not have a hat on? Unless that's a disguise, im not sure of the logic of it all..

I keep having trouble with why this wasn't just a drive by? What is with the conversation? After the gun was pulled out, they didn't shoot immediately.. there was more words and a gesture with the shooters left hand. If the motive was to kill her, why draw this out.. Why not conceal yourself? Why keep your hair down and not have a hat on? Unless that's a disguise, im not sure of the logic of it all..

My guess, the killer WANTED EB to know who it was shooting her. That is as cold-blooded as they come, no? You’re right, it could have been done from a distance, but this killer wanted to see EB’s eyes, and wanted EB to see hers/his. Just as heartless as all get out. That alone should qualify for the harshest possible punishment under the law.

What is with the conversation? After the gun was pulled out, they didn't shoot immediately.. there was more words and a gesture with the shooters left hand. If the motive was to kill her, why draw this out..

Humans under stress rarely function like Terminator Robots. The conversation and hand gestures could have been any number of things:

- A demand for an apology
- An explanation / justification as to why the attack was occurring. Such an explanation could also be the murders way of justifying the attack to him/herself one final time.
- A taunt.

Looking at that video, it sure seems deliberate and planned. I was reminded of a case from many years ago where an ex-girlfriend of the victim's husband stalked, kidnapped and murdered the wife of her former boyfriend. Even though this couple seemed happily married at the time, some people are slow and methodical in their plans for revenge.

Usually, garage sales are advertised in news circulars, etc., and most people are out earlier setting them up. I hope LE is checking phone records from days leading up to sale. She may have contacted the victim earlier regarding that particular garage sale and items being sold. It's not difficult to find out names and phone numbers if an address is listed for the sale. ALL MOO.

I only hope LE is all over this and knows a lot more than the public. Hopefully, an arrest warrant is ready to be served.
Yes- everything about it screams that it was deliberate, planned, and personal. She parked so she could get away. She left the truck running. She jumped right out of the car with the gun (e.g. she had it on her lap). She came up the driveway with a gun in her hand. She said almost nothing before shooting multiple times even after the victim was on the ground. And she must have known the victim was going to be out at that time, on that day.

Humans under stress rarely function like Terminator Robots. The conversation and hand gestures could have been any number of things:

- A demand for an apology
- An explanation / justification as to why the attack was occurring. Such an explanation could also be the murders way of justifying the attack to him/herself one final time.
- A taunt.
Spot on. Even a rouse of "asking when the garage sale starting" would make no sense. This person felt they were wrong by her or that the victim was standing in their way so much so she had to be eliminated... Which brings me to another thought of what we are saying...

• What Power does the victim have? At work? In their Star Wars Legion they belong to? (Husband was in command of it I believe) or Relationship wise?
To know where they live.. to stake out the house... to have a loaded weapon ready to go.. I might be going out on a limb here but it boils down to three things for me..

1. Random attack or mistaken Identity... (Least likely)
  2. Love interest gone wrong (popular theory)
  3. Someone slighted by the couple over Cosplay or work (reminding me of the video game tournament murders of last year in Jacksonville) Was someone no allowed in the 501st Legion or slighted at work..?
Too much talking for my liking, was something left behind? A taunt? Someone wanted her to know why she was meeting her demise and went out of their way to explain it.. (The brutality of standing over her though..)

Spot on. Even a rouse of "asking when the garage sale starting" would make no sense. This person felt they were wrong by her or that the victim was standing in their way so much so she had to be eliminated... Which brings me to another thought of what we are saying...

• What Power does the victim have? At work? In their Star Wars Legion they belong to? (Husband was in command of it I believe) or Relationship wise?
To know where they live.. to stake out the house... to have a loaded weapon ready to go.. I might be going out on a limb here but it boils down to three things for me..

1. Random attack or mistaken Identity... (Least likely)
  2. Love interest gone wrong (popular theory)
  3. Someone slighted by the couple over Cosplay or work (reminding me of the video game tournament murders of last year in Jacksonville) Was someone no allowed in the 501st Legion or slighted at work..?
Too much talking for my liking, was something left behind? A taunt? Someone wanted her to know why she was meeting her demise and went out of their way to explain it.. (The brutality of standing over her though..)
I agree that it looks as though the shooter has an incredible amount of personal rage for the victim. But, given that this was just your average citizen who seems sweet and a little nerdy, I would think the list of people she has enraged would be very short! Surely, they have someone in mind. The thing that throws me off is that LE is asking for tips. Perhaps they are hoping the tips will lead to more evidence on the person they are suspecting?

I agree that it looks as though the shooter has an incredible amount of personal rage for the victim. But, given that this was just your average citizen who seems sweet and a little nerdy, I would think the list of people she has enraged would be very short! Surely, they have someone in mind. The thing that throws me off is that LE is asking for tips. Perhaps they are hoping the tips will lead to more evidence on the person they are suspecting?
I feel you are right in that LE hasn't said everything they know.. In many cases when it comes out what LE knew prior, that wait to see people incriminate themselves by confiding in someone, trying to destroy evidence to a lesser degree, missing work or acting strange etc. It does pose the question how dangerous this person if they do have a clue is to society or prior gun/criminal violence.. If we take this at face value as a "woman" in a robe killing the victim in cold blood in the morning am.. Im sure she is unhinged in other aspects of her life as well.. If this is something more calculated, they just in fact might need more help from the public..

In response to comments regarding her setting up the garage sale on a Friday and whether or not she took a vacation day, etc. I just wanted to say that in the Houston area it is not uncommon for companies to have a schedules that provides every other Friday off. Especially in companies connected to the oilfield and energy sectors. My own son has such a schedule.

What Power does the victim have? At work? In their Star Wars Legion they belong to? (Husband was in command of it I believe)

I think that if the romantic rivalry does not pan out, that is a very good foundational question to ask.

I also like your inclusion of even cosplay power / authority. Somebody blurring reality and fantasy, or whose total sense of self is based on the role play, even symbolic power can be very real.

I would also add family power / authority- was the victim ever seen as a source of authority, or the source of an action in a family dispute? Likewise, was she ever a spokesperson for a particular side or position?

Looks like a news conference tomorrow. Sheriff Gonzalez and HCSO Homicide Unit to Host Press Conference at Crime Stoppers from Harris County Sheriff's Office : Nixle

I also noted her time of death in the notice, 1:40 pm. I hope she was able to communicate more than we know before her death.

I’m new and learning. I hope it’s ok to share just opinions.

Here is why I think the video is of a man dressed to conceal identity. IMO

1. It’s hard to see in the video but the way the hair moves and hangs in face during the last shot looks like a wig to me.
2. A bathrobe conceals body shape somewhat. But why would one wear one to commit a murder if you were female, unless it was spur of the moment? It would seem very cumbersome to run in. And, it wasn’t tied?
3. It appears the suspect was taller than Elizabeth.
4. I get that females drive trucks, especially in Texas, but a higher percentage of males drive trucks. 14.4% if truck registrations are to females. http://salesfuel.com/girls-love-big-ole-trucks-and-country-music-too-2/ Yes, I get it could have been borrowed, or rented as well.

Looks like a news conference tomorrow. Sheriff Gonzalez and HCSO Homicide Unit to Host Press Conference at Crime Stoppers from Harris County Sheriff's Office : Nixle

I also noted her time of death in the notice, 1:40 pm. I hope she was able to communicate more than we know before her death.

1. It’s hard to see in the video but the way the hair moves and hangs in face during the last shot looks like a wig to me.
2. A bathrobe conceals body shape somewhat. But why would one wear one to commit a murder if you were female, unless it was spur of the moment? It would seem very cumbersome to run in. And, it wasn’t tied?
4. I get that females drive trucks, especially in Texas, but a higher percentage of males drive trucks. 14.4% if truck registrations are to females. http://salesfuel.com/girls-love-big-ole-trucks-and-country-music-too-2/ Yes, I get it could have been borrowed, or rented as well.

WELCOME to WEBSLEUTHS DIGGNDEEPERSTILL!
Great information on the presser scheduled for tomorrow morning. Here’s hoping they will tell us this crime has been solved.

Excellent thoughts as well regarding the possibility that the killer is male, in addition to your other insights. Really good discussion topics! Glad you joined us!

Thank you cocochanel!

I hope you guys will choose to look at this video. Family members, friends remember woman gunned down outside her Tomball home I just did a little search for news and found this story right away. The video is only the part when the suspect approaches Liz, so no need for warning with it. But, what is interesting is I can see the hand movement better. It almost looks like Liz doesn’t see a gun and the two are talking with hands or she is being shown something?

Also, to me it looks like when the suspect approaches she has on boots that go to mid calf? Do you see that? Maybe some like this? https://www.6pm.com/i/9213525/style/4680268/0
I’m wondering if it could be an outfit to look like a Star Wars character , a cape not a robe? Or a robe to look like a cape?

Thank you cocochanel!

I hope you guys will choose to look at this video. Family members, friends remember woman gunned down outside her Tomball home I just did a little search for news and found this story right away. The video is only the part when the suspect approaches Liz, so no need for warning with it. But, what is interesting is I can see the hand movement better. It almost looks like Liz doesn’t see a gun and the two are talking with hands or she is being shown something?

Also, to me it looks like when the suspect approaches she has on boots that go to mid calf? Do you see that? Maybe some like this? https://www.6pm.com/i/9213525/style/4680268/0
I’m wondering if it could be an outfit to look like a Star Wars character , a cape not a robe? Or a robe to look like a cape?

This video is way clearer than the one I first watched. The killer seems to stroll up the driveway, not with any urgency or emotion. It is just bizarre. WHO IS THIS AWFUL PERSON?!?

Thank you cocochanel!

Looks like that to me.

I too think it could very much be a male. It really depends on how smart this killer is at deceiving us and LE. The pick up truck could also be a rental. I’m not sure if this has been mentioned before but have there been any more survelliance footage of the vehicle pre/post murder ?

The fact that this happened moments after her husband left for work tells me that this is very personal and not a random psycho walking the streets in a robe at 7AM. This person knew their schedules.

If the killer was savvy enough to dress in disguise -- which indeed appears to be the case, with an apparently large frame, no visible bust, and unnatural-looking hair -- then (s)he must have suspected the murder would be caught on video or seen by a witness. Therefore the person would certainly not use his/her own car. Renting or stealing a vehicle is probably the route the killer took.

If it is a disguised killer, the murder was premeditated and not in the heat of the moment. Maybe the killer stole the truck hours before in the middle of the night, then returned it immediately after the crime before it could be reported stolen. I don't know about blood spatter -- would blood have gotten on the killer when shooting at point blank range and possibly been transferred into the truck? If the truck was stolen or rented, why not rent/steal a more generic vehicle that doesn't stand out so much? How common are those trucks in that area? Hopefully not common...

This case and the video footage is terribly eerie and haunting. I hope tomorrow's press conference gleans information about a suspect or at least a POI. I can't imagine how someone could actually get away with murder in broad daylight and when it's caught on surveillance!!

I think that if the romantic rivalry does not pan out, that is a very good foundational question to ask.

I also like your inclusion of even cosplay power / authority. Somebody blurring reality and fantasy, or whose total sense of self is based on the role play, even symbolic power can be very real.

I would also add family power / authority- was the victim ever seen as a source of authority, or the source of an action in a family dispute? Likewise, was she ever a spokesperson for a particular side or position?

All very good points. I also think it is worth thinking about who might in a very twisted way may have wanted to get revenge or deeply hurt her husband by this act. By all accounts they were a very devoted couple (I know these accounts don't always mean it is true but taking the reports at face value) and they had an anniversary coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle