GUILTY TX - Elizabeth Ennen, 15, Lubbock, 5 January 2011

When was she reported missing? If it was not reported until several hours later, then that hinders LE from the start. They need to know when and where she was last seen. If there's a gap of several hours, then they have to figure out if she left on her own or was forced against her will.
But as far as I know, most LE investigate kidnappings or runaways the same way, with perhaps a little more urgency for a kidnapping. But they have to have someplace to start, which can be pretty difficult, depending on whether the people who last saw her are lying or telling the truth. They just have no way of knowing immediately.
I think there are far more runaways every year than there are actual kidnappings of teenage girls.

When was she reported missing? If it was not reported until several hours later, then that hinders LE from the start. They need to know when and where she was last seen. If there's a gap of several hours, then they have to figure out if she left on her own or was forced against her will.
But as far as I know, most LE investigate kidnappings or runaways the same way, with perhaps a little more urgency for a kidnapping. But they have to have someplace to start, which can be pretty difficult, depending on whether the people who last saw her are lying or telling the truth. They just have no way of knowing immediately.
I think there are far more runaways every year than there are actual kidnappings of teenage girls.

From what I understand the timeline of her going missing is...she was dropped off at home around 1:30 a.m. by whomever she was babysitting for, the people left (I guess before seeing her enter the house?) and noticed that she had left her purse in the car and they went back to her house to give it to her and that is when the parents knew she was not there I have read like a 15-20 timeline from drop off to them returning with the purse....hinky stinky IMO

Yes, her cousin confirmed this on FB, that those dropping her off had said that it was right after, and then that she was reported missing by her mother shortly after-don't know when exactly but take this to mean the early hours of the morning.
But now we know the whole story is likely made up

it's the fact that just googling these peoples names we found past offenses such as aggravated assault which makes me wonder why they weren't immediately checked out. But then the elder was a close friend of Beth's mother so maybe that was a factor in not being alarmed.

Yikes, this guy is a close friend of E's mother? Did I read that right?
Also do we know if the younger was bonded out, or simply released?
I hope he knows where Elizabeth is...

Yikes, this guy is a close friend of E's mother? Did I read that right?
Also do we know if the younger was bonded out, or simply released?
I hope he knows where Elizabeth is...

Yes, he was, so I imagine he was a trusted friend despite his past, or maybe she didn't know about it- he is not on the mother's FB friend list as of today, I checked

http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/...idnapping-teen

"He did say Salinas is a relative of Elizabeth's boyfriend and was a resident of the Carriage House in the 900 block of East Slaton Road. Moss said Salinas also is a close friend of Elizabeth's mother, Virginia Ennen."

not quite sure re the second question sorry!

Well i was going to reply to some posts and all but, ya know what? All it boils down to, is what sounds like some adults in this girls life made some bad decisions regarding where EE went that night, and why, and who she was with.
That unfortunately can't be changed. And after sleeping on it, picking the situation to death isn't going to change anything IMO....
And apparently, for whatever reason EE was at that motel that night, she got caught in a situation that may well have taken her life.
The wouldas, couldas, shouldas in this case are making my head spin.

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/news/lo...y-arrest/0E5iWc6Bxk6N2xkLS39YiQ.cspx?rss=2345

And in reference to the above link, God help anyone missing in that town, the last paragraph blows my mind:waitasec: I am gonna keep my mouth shut!

That being said, I sincerely hope LE is on the ball today.

Well i was going to reply to some posts and all but, ya know what? All it boils down to, is what sounds like some adults in this girls life made some bad decisions regarding where EE went that night, and why, and who she was with.
That unfortunately can't be changed. And after sleeping on it, picking the situation to death isn't going to change anything IMO....
And apparently, for whatever reason EE was at that motel that night, she got caught in a situation that may well have taken her life.
The wouldas, couldas, shouldas in this case are making my head spin.

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/news/lo...y-arrest/0E5iWc6Bxk6N2xkLS39YiQ.cspx?rss=2345

And in reference to the above link, God help anyone missing in that town, the last paragraph blows my mind:waitasec: I am gonna keep my mouth shut!

That being said, I sincerely hope LE is on the ball today.

Yeah, isn't that something?! There is NO way I'd make a statement like that if I were in his shoes...and this is professionalism at it's finest? Must be comforting to the residents of Lubbock. (sarcasm intended)...I'm sure glad I don't live there...

it's the fact that just googling these peoples names we found past offenses such as aggravated assault which makes me wonder why they weren't immediately checked out. But then the elder was a close friend of Beth's mother so maybe that was a factor in not being alarmed.

Police should know better. Most molestations happen by a friend or family member.

I understand not calling in a search party at 2am to find someone when there is no real place to look, but there still should have been a cursory "search" done of the last known place she was. I mean, (and it's possible that LE did do this and we just haven't heard about it) why not go back to the hotel, check to see if any independent witnesses can place her either coming to the hotel in the first place, or leaving from the hotel after the babysitting.

Why not check her cell pings, did it ping at the hotel, arriving there, staying there for several hours? Did it ping back to her house, and then leaving and returning to her house, showing any truth to the story? Or did it ping only one way to the house, showing that it only made one trip after she was supposed to have arrived home? Chances are that her purse was in the vehicle the entire time, so did it ping anywhere besides the hotel and her home to find out where she may have gone or been taken?

I've seen this sort of stuff reported within a day on other cases, so why wasn't it at least looked into here before she is automatically termed a "runaway", with LE apparently (by their own admission no less) throwing up their hands saying, "hmmm, don't know where to look, so we just aren't going to, but we sympathize with you that you as her mother don't believe she ran away"??

To any reporters:
PLEASE, when interviewing law enforcement regarding a missing person, could you try to elicit why so many departments do not handle it as a missing person's case? I know certain criteria influences how it is handled, but when you have parents who say the child would never run away, WHY not bring scent dogs out immediately to search from where the person was last seen??? Is it the budget? Are the departments understaffed and just do not have the man/womanpower top handle the searches? LE needs to speak out about this so that we, the public can find a fix to this repeated problem with SAR training and volunteers to search and utilize scent and cadaver dogs. This is something that needs to be done immediately when there is ANY suspicion whatsoever that the missing person could be in danger. Barring a parent reporting that they frequently run away, etc., a search must be done immediately! Please, ask any LE you know why searches are not done immediately on all missing cases. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the answer is the buget...but somehow LE has to figure out a checklist or something to try to determine if a case warrants immediate attention. Of course they all deserve that, but that is not going to happen if a city has dozens of missing people reported each day, for example. But an updated, standardized list of criteria that could at least make an effort to determine if suspicious circumstances are involved would be a start.

I can't imagine being the LE officer who has to tell a parent, wait 24/48 hours or whatever...

I understand not calling in a search party at 2am to find someone when there is no real place to look, but there still should have been a cursory "search" done of the last known place she was. I mean, (and it's possible that LE did do this and we just haven't heard about it) why not go back to the hotel, check to see if any independent witnesses can place her either coming to the hotel in the first place, or leaving from the hotel after the babysitting.

Why not check her cell pings, did it ping at the hotel, arriving there, staying there for several hours? Did it ping back to her house, and then leaving and returning to her house, showing any truth to the story? Or did it ping only one way to the house, showing that it only made one trip after she was supposed to have arrived home? Chances are that her purse was in the vehicle the entire time, so did it ping anywhere besides the hotel and her home to find out where she may have gone or been taken?

I've seen this sort of stuff reported within a day on other cases, so why wasn't it at least looked into here before she is automatically termed a "runaway", with LE apparently (by their own admission no less) throwing up their hands saying, "hmmm, don't know where to look, so we just aren't going to, but we sympathize with you that you as her mother don't believe she ran away"??

This "we don't know where to look" incenerates another hot flash :furious:. LE can't say they don't know where to look unless: They have already used search dogs where the person was believed to be missing from, and they pick up no scent or it ends indicating possibly getting into a car/boat, etc. They get a consent search of the room or any vehicles (since they may not have enough probable cause to get a search warrant at this point). If they believe the person is in a vehicle, but they do'nt have the required vehicle description for an Amber Alert, they need to put out a BOLO (be on the lookout) with the child's description and any other info that could help to surrounding LE agencies. They need to view any surveillance video that can show them what happened and I certainly HOPE they looked at the surveillance video at the Carriage House Motel before it was taped over!

There is plenty they can be doing right at the moment someone goes missing and the department should be embarassed by their public coment that "we don't know where to look". :banghead:

PS: IF the reason LE can't handle a missing person's case as such, due to budgetary restrictions and lack of wo/manpower, they cannot be blamed if they are inundated with these cases and most turn out to be a teen out partying or running away, However, they need to state the reason that they cannot investigate on the spot so changes can be made to resolve this repeated problem, be it allocation of more funds, citizen search groups, etc.

Another option for LE is outside agency assistance during these times from surrounding departments and FBI. However, if the problem is lack budgetary, all departments are probably experiencing the same problem and this would not be a permanent help.

PPS: Any child who runs away and leaves parents to wonder what happened to them, needs to be required to do public service and/or pay fines that will help to reimburse the system for money lost in searches and investigation.

Here's an idea... :innocent:

The people say she was babysitting at the motel and they dropped her off at her house. Okay, so that's the statement you start with on this case and that's where the statement leads you.

I know, it's like WAY out there... totally a new concept... but how about you start by searching (maybe with dogs tracking her scent to start with) BETWEEN the two locations given in the initial report?

How about searching between the house and the motel. If they find her scent, see where the dogs go. :waitasec:

I know... what a novel idea, isn't it? :innocent:

"If there's no lead to follow right then, it doesn't really matter what you call it. If there's no where to look, we don't know where to start looking. Where would you send a search party if you called them out right then? Does that make sense? And so, it's really too early to tell right now, what difference it would have made had it been categorized as missing endangered right then. It could have made a great difference, could have made no difference at all, we just don't know right now," LPD Captain Greg Stevens said.

PPS: Any child who runs away and leaves parents to wonder what happened to them, needs to be required to do public service and/or pay fines that will help to reimburse the system for money lost in searches and investigation.

You know, that is kind of a novel idea- I gotta think on that. Maybe some kind of mandatory counseling with all involved...and giving back to the communtiy who searches...
hmm

Maybe the public service could be mandatory searches for other missing persons or assisting on some cadaver dog searches etc.

not finding any thing new today on MSM nor on FB

the missing does have a MS but it is private, and I think a FB too

http://www.examiner.com/missing-per...-texas-teen-case-suspected-kidnapper-arrested

Huckabee told Examiner.com in a phone conversation Saturday evening that the father of Elizabeth’s boyfriend, Humberto “Art” Maldonado Salinas, Jr., was arrested and charged with kidnapping Elizabeth.
“We feel sure that he [Humberto M. Salinas] is involved in her disappearance, and right now we’re hoping for the best and that somebody can help us find her,” Greg Stevens, Lubbock Police Department, told local Lubbock KCBD News.
Huckabee said two others were arrested Saturday morning: Humberto Salinas’ common-law wife, Carmen Manzanares, and his son, Humberto Lopez Salinas.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Flurry of activity in missing Texas teen case; suspected kidnapper arrested - National missing persons | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/missing-per...se-suspected-kidnapper-arrested#ixzz1BtGJb47t

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back