GUILTY TX - Emma Thompson, 4, dies with STD, skull fracture, Spring, 27 June 2009

http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2009/09/11/news/news01.txt

Friday, September 11, 2009 1:57 PM CDT
A man accused of injuring a child who later died remained in jail today after a district judge set his bail at $100,000.

Lucas Ruric Coe, 27, remained in the Harris County jail under the $100,000 bail set Thursday by District Judge Mary Lou Keel.

Bert Steinmann, Coe’s attorney, had asked last week that bail be set for his client, according to reports in The Houston Chronicle.

Keel, in addition to setting bail, also said Coe could not have any contact with children as a condition of his release from jail.

As of noon today, Coe had not yet posted bail.

http://www.themonitor.com/articles/officials-30485-case-teen.html

CPS officials: League City teen case mishandled

Earlier this month, a state review team announced plans to probe DPS's own abuse investigations.

Katy infant Amber Maccurdy, 3-year-old David Tijerina, of Conroe, and 4-year-old Emma Thompson, of Spring, died of abuse since April despite the fact that all three had been reported to CPS as possible child abuse victims, according to the Associated Press. Emma and Amber died even though both were seen within weeks of their deaths by CPS investigators.

It took all three to die before they figured out the system was broken?
:eek:

http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2009/09/11/news/news01.txt

Friday, September 11, 2009 1:57 PM CDT
A man accused of injuring a child who later died remained in jail today after a district judge set his bail at $100,000.

Lucas Ruric Coe, 27, remained in the Harris County jail under the $100,000 bail set Thursday by District Judge Mary Lou Keel.

Bert Steinmann, Coe’s attorney, had asked last week that bail be set for his client, according to reports in The Houston Chronicle.

Keel, in addition to setting bail, also said Coe could not have any contact with children as a condition of his release from jail.

As of noon today, Coe had not yet posted bail.

I had to read this a few times because I was sure I was mistaken. There are few people more dangerous to society than this person. Wonder if bail would be set if he had been murdering and raping judges?

just sayin.

PS I suggest that Mr. Steinmann post bond for Coe and host him at his house until his trial.

Coe wasn't allowed to be around his own children and yet, the night Emma was killed at Young's home, one of HIS children was at the house, along with Emma's 2 older sisters. Is this Judge Mary Keel setting bail based on the facts and his history. If so, why would Melissa Huckaby be in jail with no bail and Coe be allowed bail? Coe has a history of not following orders and abusing children. I hope that Judge Keel will answer why she feels Coe deserves to be let out in a law-abiding society to prey on children.

Coe’s bond reduced to $100,000

Updated: 09.10.09
The Magnolia man arrested in connection with the death of 4-year-old Emma Thompson had his bond reduced to $100,000 Thursday morning by a Harris County District judge.

Lucas Ruric Coe, 27, has been in the Harris County Jail without bond since he was booked into the jail on Aug. 11. Bert Steinmann, Coe’s attorney, petitioned 232nd District Judge Mary Lou Keel for the bond reduction.

“The (Harris County) District Attorney had not filed a letter requesting that he (Coe) be held without bond,” Steinmann said. “He (Coe) has made all of his previous court appointments, and I told the judge I needed him during his case.”

While Coe was granted a bond reduction, Steinmann said there was no guarantee his client would make the bond.

Coe and his girlfriend, Abigail Young, were charged last month with one count each of felony injury to a child. Thompson died June 27 in Montgomery County from blunt force trauma to the abdomen, according to an autopsy conducted in Conroe.

<snipped>

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2009/09/10/conroe_courier/news/coe0911.txt

Coe&#8217;s bond reduced to $100,000

Updated: 09.10.09
The Magnolia man arrested in connection with the death of 4-year-old Emma Thompson had his bond reduced to $100,000 Thursday morning by a Harris County District judge.

Lucas Ruric Coe, 27, has been in the Harris County Jail without bond since he was booked into the jail on Aug. 11. Bert Steinmann, Coe&#8217;s attorney, petitioned 232nd District Judge Mary Lou Keel for the bond reduction.

&#8220;The (Harris County) District Attorney had not filed a letter requesting that he (Coe) be held without bond,&#8221; Steinmann said. &#8220;He (Coe) has made all of his previous court appointments, and I told the judge I needed him during his case.&#8221;

While Coe was granted a bond reduction, Steinmann said there was no guarantee his client would make the bond.

Coe and his girlfriend, Abigail Young, were charged last month with one count each of felony injury to a child. Thompson died June 27 in Montgomery County from blunt force trauma to the abdomen, according to an autopsy conducted in Conroe.

<snipped>

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2009/09/10/conroe_courier/news/coe0911.txt

They sure sugar-coated what he is actually accused of doing to Emma. Home Cooking? :furious:

They sure sugar-coated what he is actually accused of doing to Emma. Home Cooking? :furious:

fhc -

You might want to remove your comment from within the article (where you quote me) so no one accidentally thinks that your comment is part of the actual article. Thanks!

I totally agree with you!

Poor baby. I just cannot even imagine allowing any man to harm my child and over look it for the sake of having a man. I know first hand that officials in Texas read probation orders different than they are. One lady I know with 2 children married a convicted sexual offender, he served 5 years, got out and moved back to TX and had his probation transferred. The law there said his order said he could not be withon a 1000 feet of where children congregate that it said nothing about him living in the home with them. So to them he had not violated his probation, the judge allowed the kids to stay with their mom and the RSO even tho the dad fought with all he had to get his children out of that situation, he lost because of the way the law reads.

It is just sad and uncalled for that our judicial sytem fails the children they should be protecting.There is no cure for SO's, they will re-offend and most times the child dies at their hands. My heart breaks for all these children.

RIP Emma.

I am really flabbergasted here. First of all, she died as a result of the beating and she was noticebly raped. I am assuming someone will get around to filing first degree murder charges? Secondly, the Defense Attorney thinks it is sufficient comfort to the rest of us that "there is no guarantee" his client will make bail? I am not surprised that there isn't anyone left willing to invest 10K in this guy, but the defense attorney is between a rock and a hard place since he asked for the reduction and presumably believes his client is "innocent."

Locals, I hope you are trying to get a bright light shining on what is going on with this case because it feels like it is being swept under the rug....

I know I'm not asleep....although I can hardly believe what I'm reading! What was that Judge thinking? Would she be willing to let that monster stay in her home while he's waiting for his trail! This just makes me sick! Coe has no right to be out of jail not for one minute. Emma will never get to do anything again why should he.

By the way I feel exactly the same about her mother and I use that term loosely! She should burn for eternity! and that still would not be enough.

http://www.kbtx.com/local/headlines/59126612.html

Man Charged in Spring Girl's Death Out on Bond

The man charged in the death of a four-year-old from Spring -- the daughter of a Brenham nurse -- has bonded out of the Harris County jail.
Posted: 10:47 AM Sep 12, 2009

The man charged in the death of a four-year-old from Spring -- the daughter of a Brenham nurse -- has bonded out of the Harris County jail.

Lucas Coe, 27, had his bond reduced to $100,000 Thursday, according to the Houston Chronicle, though he has been ordered to have no contact with children.

Coe and Abigail Young, 33, were charged in August in the death of Young's daughter, Emma Thompson.

Back in June, Thompson died at a Houston hospital, having suffered from a skull fracture and dozens of contusions.

Young bonded out of jail shortly after her arrest, and claims it was Coe, her live-in boyfriend, that was responsible for Thompson's death.

<snipped>

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6614730.html

Suspect in Spring girl's death posts bail
By MIKE GLENN
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Sept. 12, 2009, 11:00AM

Harris County Sheriff's Office

Lucas Coe is charged with injury to a child in the beating of Emma Thompson.

A convicted felon charged with causing the injuries that led to the death of his girlfriend's daughter was released Friday from the Harris County Jail after posting bail.

Lucas Coe, 27, had been in the jail since his Aug. 10 arrest in connection with the beating death of Emma Thompson, 4.

Last week, Coe's lawyer asked District Judge Mary Lou Keel to set $100,000 bail for Coe. The request was granted Thursday with the provision that Coe has no contact with any children.

Both Coe and Emma's mother, Abigail Young, 33, were charged with one count each of felony injury to a child. They were living together at the time.

<snipped>

I just don't understand the reasoning behind this.

This little girl is no longer with us. She didn't get a chance to start preschool this year, or kindergarten. She wasn't able to shop for school supplies and clothes with her sisters. She isn't going to have the fun of choosing her Halloween costume soon. This is the reason that he should not be free:

emma2.jpg

I just don't understand the reasoning behind this.

This little girl is no longer with us. She didn't get a chance to start preschool this year, or kindergarten. She wasn't able to shop for school supplies and clothes with her sisters. She isn't going to have the fun of choosing her Halloween costume soon. This is the reason that he should not be free:

emma2.jpg

I am at a loss-am I misreading the charges some how? What am I missing? I knew he would have to bond out; it was a put up or shut up to his defense attorney.

There must be a way to determine if the std she had was his-they do this on CSI all of the time. But regardless, the child was murdered and raped. How is COE not a threat to the community and a flight risk?

http://www.kbtx.com/local/headlines/59126612.html

Lucas Coe, 27, had his bond reduced to $100,000 Thursday, according to the Houston Chronicle, though he has been ordered to have no contact with children.

Coe's arrest record includes aggravated assault for which he served six years probation. Multiple times, he was jailed for not meeting the terms of that probation.

"Lucas Coe, 27, had his bond reduced to $100,000 Thursday, according to the Houston Chronicle, though he has been ordered to have no contact with children."

(Snippet from the article posted by Paintr.)

He's been ordered to have no contact with children has to be the dumbest chance to take. We see how well he's followed the "rules" already, what happens if another mother takes this "thing" into their home and hides him?

He shouldn't have ever been allowed out, IMO.:furious:

i know I keep posting the same thing, but WTH? He is non compliant with probation, and he caused the death of a child who was also sexually assaulted. Mexico, here he comes....because he would be crazy to stick around and see how this all goes for him...

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7011568

As a rule, judges don't comment on ongoing cases. But legal analyst Joel Androphy believes the judge may have set a $100,000 bond, believing Coe would never be able to pay it. Or, he said, the judge may have doubts about the strength of the evidence.

:eek:

Both of these supposed reasons just made my jaw drop! I can't see any responsible judge changing bond for either of those reasons in this case (no disrespect to Mr Androphy's opinion) Surely there must have been something more compelling?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back