TX - Escaped convicted murderer, stabbed guard, 12 May 22; murdered family of 5, Centerville, shot dead near SA, 2 JUNE 2022

Part of the issue is explained in the Marshall Project report:
officials confirmed Lopez went on a “significant number” of medical trips, spending enough time on prison buses to grow familiar with the security protocols — and the gaps. Many of those gaps had grown during the pandemic, as staff vacancy rates soared to historic highs. By the end of April, a third of guard jobs were unfilled statewide. The vacancy rate at the Hughes Unit, the maximum-security prison where Lopez started his bus ride, was close to 45%. Prisoners took notice as overworked guards grew increasingly lax about some of the most basic functions of their jobs, like letting people out to shower or searching them for contraband.
We’ve all seen the impact of staffing struggles in the wake of the pandemic in stores, schools, care facilities, etc. It is critical in many areas, and prisons are one the most dangerous places to have gaps. The photo below is of the funeral for the grandfather and his 4 grandsons. It took my breath away to see 5 coffins in the front. The loss is staggering, and I cannot fathom how a family moves on from that.
How Texas Failed To Prevent One of the Nation’s Deadliest Prison Escapes

1BD37197-30A2-40EF-838D-9F888AA97A49.jpeg

Part of the issue is explained in the Marshall Project report:

We’ve all seen the impact of staffing struggles in the wake of the pandemic in stores, schools, care facilities, etc. It is critical in many areas, and prisons are one the most dangerous places to have gaps. The photo below is of the funeral for the grandfather and his 4 grandsons. It took my breath away to see 5 coffins in the front. The loss is staggering, and I cannot fathom how a family moves on from that.
How Texas Failed To Prevent One of the Nation’s Deadliest Prison Escapes

View attachment 385518
Sure but transporting extremely dangerous inmates hours each way on buses is a bad protocol even when fully staffed & following all procedures to a T.

This is my main problem with the entire bus transport to other units for basic medical needs scenario. It has built in dangers all all times that only increase with staffing shortages, etc.

It was always a time bomb waiting to go off. Why is it designed that way? Bureaucracy that overlooks the extreme inherent dangers?

I just don't think there are any reasonable reasons for this event. Reasonable excuses, maybe.

But IMO this didn't happen just because of low staffing, etc. It happened because protocols were (and probably still are) poorly thought out and executed all the time. As if Gatesville can't do eye exams, for example? Give me a break.

As a Texas taxpayer, I would say spending our money to bring care where it is needed is a wiser investment than all this inherently extremely dangerous bus travel.

They need medical mobile units that bring basic care to where it is needed.

JMHO

Sure but transporting extremely dangerous inmates hours each way on buses is a bad protocol even when fully staffed & following all procedures to a T.

This is my main problem with the entire bus transport to other units for basic medical needs scenario. It has built in dangers all all times that only increase with staffing shortages, etc.

It was always a time bomb waiting to go off. Why is it designed that way? Bureaucracy that overlooks the extreme inherent dangers?

I just don't think there are any reasonable reasons for this event. Reasonable excuses, maybe.

But IMO this didn't happen just because of low staffing, etc. It happened because protocols were (and probably still are) poorly thought out and executed all the time. As if Gatesville can't do eye exams, for example? Give me a break.

As a Texas taxpayer, I would say spending our money to bring care where it is needed is a wiser investment than all this inherently extremely dangerous bus travel.

They need medical mobile units that bring basic care to where it is needed.

JMHO
I agree! You can't blame short staffing for the murders of 5 people. Officials knew his history.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back