TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting. I still believe that an independent counsel needs to be brought in to do the prosecution, because the city is looking out for its own here. Why else would the DA request to block release of the 911 call? It states "irrelevant to public". I don't think so...and would impede investigation...haven't they had a month to "investigate"?

The DA is walking a fine line here, she is up for re-election, and it is obvious, Guyger is a hot button election item.

Guyger's lawyer states that it was, "unfair" for Dallas PD to fire his client...seriously, there would have been riots by this time if AG had not been terminated.

Link to timeline so far..
A Disturbing Timeline Of Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger Killing Botham Jean In His Own Home

BBM

I am shocked that there haven’t been riots yet even after AG was fired. Not that I want them, but it just seems that the public has been so quiet regarding this murder and that truly surprises me.

BBM

I am shocked that there haven’t been riots yet even after AG was fired. Not that I want them, but it just seems that the public has been so quiet regarding this murder and that truly surprises me.

I think that the attorneys for the family are well connected with people who would be able to start a peaceful protest. And this situation is so volatile, that I think that they have made their point. The issue with the peaceful protest at this time, is that it seems like it is a hair trigger from getting out of control. No one wants that to happen. So, I think that they are very much in control of what is happening, and the DA, and Dallas PD is very much aware of this. The message was pretty clear, "fire the killer". That has occurred.

It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Yes, the "search warrants" given to the Killer, 3 days after the incident. And they were not even "Warrants", as the killer consented, three days after the fact. What a joke.
It's not a joke. They can easily retrieve anything she has deleted. And, if she deleted a bunch of stuff it will just reinforce the appearance of guilt, or an attempt to suppress evidence.

Amateur opinion and speculation

It's not a joke. They can easily retrieve anything she has deleted. And, if she deleted a bunch of stuff it will just reinforce the appearance of guilt, or an attempt to suppress evidence.

Amateur opinion and speculation

It is a joke. More or less a "rubber stamp" on an already pre-determined outcome.
And why are they looking at the records of the victim?
Agree, to respectfully, and cordially, disagree.

It is a joke. More or less a "rubber stamp" on an already pre-determined outcome.
And why are they looking at the records of the victim?
Agree, to respectfully, and cordially, disagree.
Thank you for the cordiality. : )
I misread your post. They are looking at HIS phone records? Or both, or?

If they are looking at HIS phone records, it's probably to see if her was talking to the management of the apartments (about a noise complaint?) or with AG herself. That *is* relevant.

Amateur speculation and opinion only

Thank you for the cordiality. : )
I misread your post. They are looking at HIS phone records? Or both, or?

If they are looking at HIS phone records, it's probably to see if her was talking to the management of the apartments (about a noise complaint?) or with AG herself. That *is* relevant.

Amateur speculation and opinion only
I agree that they have to look at Botham's phone and laptop, to establish for facts like he was texting his girlfriend, he was using the laptop until AG arrived etc.

If there is any data saved on the tv, they should look at that too.

And like it was said before, if there is a smart meter for electricity.

This is not targeting the victim IMOO.

There's little in the local DFW media about the case now.That's frustrating.

I want to know these things because they really concern me:
1) Was AG actually returning home from a shift at DPD?
2) I believe she'd reported him for " noise" in the AM time period, not late at night. What kind of noise? I mean, when a person works night shift, the person walking around above can sound loud when they aren't loud. Was her complaint or complaints valid or were they magnified by her shift work and maybe lack of recognition that reporting " noise" in the daytime has to set a much higher noise level than reporting noise at night?
3) Where is the 911 call and why isn't it being released? Even an unredacted transcript? I don't think it's usual procedure for a LE officer to get a blackout on their 911 call, as they are obviously off duty.
4) What about his autopsy? Is the full report being withheld? Is a summary not available yet? I've not found anything yet.
5) Did she know him other than " the person who lives upstairs" before she gained entry to his apt. and shot him?

Believe me, people in N. Texas do not stand with AG en masse'. Most of us believe Mr. Jean was wronged and killed due to something really messed up about AG's thinking process. No one I know thinks he did anything wrong, but was in his apartment minding his own business.
I believe when it all shakes out, she will go to trial and there will be a good, impartial jury of her peers to try her on very serious charges for the unlawful death of another person.
Everyone who mentions the case wants justice, and the fact that they were of different races and she was a police officer never enters the discussion. It's about the unlawful taking of a human life.

You know, I have read so many wonderful things about him, but not one single good thing about her. That's really scary when you think about it.. He had not lived there very long either.

There's little in the local DFW media about the case now.That's frustrating.

I want to know these things because they really concern me:
1) Was AG actually returning home from a shift at DPD?
2) I believe she'd reported him for " noise" in the AM time period, not late at night. What kind of noise? I mean, when a person works night shift, the person walking around above can sound loud when they aren't loud. Was her complaint or complaints valid or were they magnified by her shift work and maybe lack of recognition that reporting " noise" in the daytime has to set a much higher noise level than reporting noise at night?
3) Where is the 911 call and why isn't it being released? Even an unredacted transcript? I don't think it's usual procedure for a LE officer to get a blackout on their 911 call, as they are obviously off duty.
4) What about his autopsy? Is the full report being withheld? Is a summary not available yet? I've not found anything yet.
5) Did she know him other than " the person who lives upstairs" before she gained entry to his apt. and shot him?

Believe me, people in N. Texas do not stand with AG en masse'. Most of us believe Mr. Jean was wronged and killed due to something really messed up about AG's thinking process. No one I know thinks he did anything wrong, but was in his apartment minding his own business.
I believe when it all shakes out, she will go to trial and there will be a good, impartial jury of her peers to try her on very serious charges for the unlawful death of another person.
Everyone who mentions the case wants justice, and the fact that they were of different races and she was a police officer never enters the discussion. It's about the unlawful taking of a human life.

You know, I have read so many wonderful things about him, but not one single good thing about her. That's really scary when you think about it.. He had not lived there very long either.

Jana, they are keeping an extraordinary tight lid on this, because as I stated earlier, if it was "Just an Accident", release everything, if there is nothing to hide. The fact that not even the caliber of the weapon is known, is really interesting.

Now, they are hoping people will forget about Mr. Jean, and move on. The Killer will request a dismissal of all charges, 2 or 3 years down the line. The family will have a check by then. It may just all go away, and the Killer can be re-hired by Dallas PD.

Jana, they are keeping an extraordinary tight lid on this, because as I stated earlier, if it was "Just an Accident", release everything, if there is nothing to hide. The fact that not even the caliber of the weapon is known, is really interesting.

Now, they are hoping people will forget about Mr. Jean, and move on. The Killer will request a dismissal of all charges, 2 or 3 years down the line. The family will have a check by then. It may just all go away, and the Killer can be re-hired by Dallas PD.

It's not going to go away and we who live in the area, and it's a huge population, will not forget.
I promise you, there are enough fine people who can't be bought off that this case is not going away.
Whatever happened, the truth will be found out and AG will stand trial in a court of law, before a jury of her peers.

Please have faith in Texas justice. We, the people, have very long memories and very big hearts. Most of us ( I can't speak for everyone, obviously) grieve for Mr. Jean's family and for the fact that he was afraid of the police in the US, then became a victim of a police officer off duty.
I wish you could be here. I wish you could see and hear the sentiment of wanting justice for the victim, who is Mr. Botham Jean. At some point, it will go from " wanting justice" to " demanding answers" and " calls for justice" from our legislators.
Please have faith in the people. Remember, our Constitution, our national founding document for the United States of America, starts out " We, the people".
Texans are probably the most justice- seeking people in the entire country within the proper boundaries of the law. Vigilante' justice is wrong and it's scary and LE is prohibited from using it just like the rest of us are. Keep the faith.

Botham Jean: Officials reportedly REFUSE to release 911 call, autopsy in off-duty officer’s fatal shooting of unarmed black neighbor
City officials in Dallas, Texas, are being accused of launching a cover-up as they’ve reportedly refused to release a 911 call recording, autopsy report, and other crucial information related to ex-officer Amber Guyger’s fatal shooting of her unarmed neighbor, Botham Jean.

The Dallas Morning News said they requested the 911 recording Guyger placed the night Botham Jean was killed and instead obtained a letter showing that the city attorney is asking the state attorney general if the call can be withheld from the public. An update from the newspaper indicated that the district attorney also wants Jean’s autopsy report to remain private.

Assistant City Attorney Pavala Armstrong told the newspaper that releasing this information to the public would jeopardize their criminal investigation.
BBM

Respectfully, regarding the release of documentation we want released, I realized last night when I was thinking about what's being done in this case that the Dallas PD and all other LE agencies had the case removed from local and area jurisdiction early on, and the Texas Rangers took the investigation over. So, DPD can't legally release information to the public in an ongoing case investigation by another, higher level professional investigative body.

The Crimeonline.com article quoted above does not even mention the presence of the Texas Rangers, and this is a huge omission or oversight.

To learn a bit about the Texas Rangers and the scope of their investigative abilities, this might be helpful:TxDPS - Texas Ranger Responsibilities

I had to learn about them when we moved to Texas. I thought the Texas Rangers was simply the name of a sports team.

They are absolutely respected in Texas and are directly responsible to the governor.
The units they have which are likely at work in Mr. Jean's case are these, in addition to their regular investigative work to solve the crime:
"Public Corruption Unit
The 81st session of the Texas Legislature passed HB2086; this bill created the Public Corruption Unit within the Texas Department of Public Safety, under the responsibility of the Texas Ranger Division. The Texas Rangers are committed to fighting public corruption, as it relates to public officials, law enforcement officers, and others that hold a position of public trust. Fighting corruption is vital to preserving our democracy, protecting our borders, and securing our communities.

Public Integrity Unit
The Texas Ranger’s Public Integrity Unit is responsible for investigating crimes committed by state officers and state employees.
In 2015, the 84th Texas Legislature passed House Bill 1690, which created a Public Integrity Unit within the Texas Ranger Division of the Texas Department of Public Safety to investigate offenses against public administration.
To discuss public integrity or corruption allegations with a Texas Ranger near you, contact your local Texas Ranger’s Office."

It's not usual for them to release any information when they take a case over from another LE agency in Texas. They have all the 911 info, the DPD statements, A.G.'s statements, and info from cameras outside the parking garage, Mr. Jean's apartment and her apartment.
Also, they likely have all current case info, including the answers to the questions I was asking about his autopsy and her drug testing and so forth.

In my experience, they do not usually release info in an active investigation unless they need specific information from the public, or may want to give a preliminary finding when the suspected outcome involves the death of a kidnapped or otherwise missing child or children. Also, in some cases which affected an entire city, they do present regular press conferences but what they tell until there is a final resolution is much different from what the locals will try to insinuate or say to make themselves look " good". They historically perform a thorough and unbiased investigation if past performance is an indication.
Usually, their investigations are on the level of the FBI, because they have state jurisdiction and override any other state LE agency.
This is my experience, and I'm not trying to sugar coat anything about this case. It was a great relief for the Texas Rangers to step in and take the case early.

nope, can't convince me there is any reason whatsoever for them to be searching his phone, etc. Glad that we can be on two sides of the fence and exist here together.

I respectfully disagree that there is no reason for the investigators to search the victim’s phone. What if there was evidence on his phone to show that AG had been threatening him to keep the noise down. That would be something that would be extremely helpful in the investigation, especially if AG had already erased it from her phone.

Now what I don’t like is when investigators release things they find about the victim and they release it in an attempt to paint the victim in a negative light. And on the flip side they release info that seems to help the office like she worked a long shift, but never seem to release anything that paints the officer in a bad light.

I’ve said it before the police should be treated like anyone else would in this same situation, no better and no worst. Any special treatment only erodes the public trust in the police and that can only put the vast majority of the good officers out there in potential danger.

I respectfully disagree that there is no reason for the investigators to search the victim’s phone. What if there was evidence on his phone to show that AG had been threatening him to keep the noise down. That would be something that would be extremely helpful in the investigation, especially if AG had already erased it from her phone.

Now what I don’t like is when investigators release things they find about the victim and they release it in an attempt to paint the victim in a negative light. And on the flip side they release info that seems to help the office like she worked a long shift, but never seem to release anything that paints the officer in a bad light.

I’ve said it before the police should be treated like anyone else would in this same situation, no better and no worst. Any special treatment only erodes the public trust in the police and that can only put the vast majority of the good officers out there in potential danger.

Interesting perspective. You are right the "no information" lock down on the investigation only applies to anything related to Amber Guyger. However, information regarding the search warrant for the victim's residence, including the marijuana found, was reported immediately.

There seems to be a definite selection of information given to the public about this investigation.

Interesting perspective. You are right the "no information" lock down on the investigation only applies to anything related to Amber Guyger. However, information regarding the search warrant for the victim's residence, including the marijuana found, was reported immediately.

There seems to be a definite selection of information given to the public about this investigation.

I'm guessing that Mr Jean's background came back as clean as can be or we would be hearing all about what a "Bad Man" he was.

Cobra, for some reason I am unable to quote your post but I wanted to respond as this case has affected me as well. I think about it often.

This morning I let my dog out around 2 am and stood on my porch/entryway while waiting for the little guy to do his business. I had grabbed my jacket and put the hoody over my head as it was chilly outside. All of the sudden a police car drove slowly past my condo, quickly reversed and sat in front of my condo, staring at me for 30 seconds, maybe a minute. I stood there like a statue and didn’t move. I was afraid to wave, move a muscle or approach him because I know what can happen even when u are totally innocent and going about your routine, daily life. I guess after the cop saw my dog he realized I was no threat so he left, but this case quickly came to my mind. And I kid u not, I was scared in that short period of time. I have never before been afraid of police but, sadly, I am now because I see the power they hold and how any situation can turn out badly. Scary stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms