TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope heard that but I already had knew that was the case. My favorite place to have a cocktail is literally across the from southside flats. It’s literally a rooftop bar and you can practically the whole view of Dallas and southside flats is literally right there as well as the garage, my husbands co worker actually lives at one of the townhomes across the street from where it was. Not sure if his coworker is one with the ring doorbell but most definitely one of those town homes that they wanted to get info from... but the garage isn’t that big to begin with, so I kind of already knew that part.

just began following this case...and wondering if as you say the garage is not that big.. how many residents and how many parking spots..could it be that there were no parking spots on her parking level?? that does not negate the red rug at apt door but maybe the wrong parking level...BSJ graduated from the same college as my husband several years before...BSJ had a beautiful voice...sad and JMO

Completely agree! There are lots of scenarios that would've prevented this case making national headlines. For instance had it been a white male that was shot, you would never hear about this case in my opinion. It most likely would've been quietly dealt with.

Really? I live in California and I don’t think that would be true here. Almost no cases are covered nation-wide these days, but in California, any unusual type of crime (cop neighbor shooting defenseless neighbor in his own home) would get lots of press (like that recent Costco shooting). We’ve had a couple of cop suicides that are still getting some press, years later (families have challenged MoD). A recent case where a cop didn’t kill himself but did shoot himself badly got a lot of press (white guy).

A white male stabbed to death while eating at a nice restaurant in Central California (by a black man) is still getting press and got tons of press when it happened (but perhaps not nation-wide?)

But as to “nation-wide” coverage, well, I barely heard about this case (it wasn’t in my local media feed at all) and wouldn’t even have heard about it if I didn’t follow true crime on reddit. WS of course is a wealth of daily crime info, but we are hardly typical (I’m a fairly new member, so yesterday is about the first time I actually read about this case).

IOW, this particular case did not and is not getting a whole lot of “nation-wide” coverage, especially in this day and age of cable-cutting.

Yes. Good points. I mean I have a dangerous job but I'm not a hero.

These people are specifically hired to protect society. And they ignore all human instinct and run into the line of fire to do so.

I will never forget the video of the people huddling in a hall during the San Bernardino massacre. A cop was with them. One cried out in fear that the gunmen would find and get them.

The cop definitively and almost defiantly stated- "Don't you worry. They'd have to get through me and I won't let them." And he meant it.

When it comes to a discussion of cops and what they risk, who they are, whether they're inherently protective or inherently aggressive, I like the words my dad used to say, "Ni tanto ni tan poco."

It's really never black and white. But we need to try to be fair in our assessments.

Oh so true. I, for one, would not wish to be a cop, a judge, a lawyer - or a nurse - or a doctor. Different compelling reasons for me to have rejected these jobs (and I did start out on the path to a couple of those). The classroom has its risks (obviously) and there are a lot of teachers who have put themselves in between gunmen and their pupils, too. Some people just have that in them (I think I would do the same - but not sure I would have, when I was much younger).

The cops I personally know are amazing people and many have never used their guns. All would put themselves (and have put themselves) in harms way to protect others, and that includes high speed chases or neighborhood foot chases. Heck, just standing by the side of the road on a traffic stop is dangerous.

I did some research on bear/human interactions not that long ago, and some of my police friends thought I was crazy (bears are so much less scary than humans, seriously). The only times I’ve been afraid, it’s been of humans (not bears).

My dad died 3 years ago, but maintained strongly that policing in California had changed, that cops were being trained to kill and to think too quickly of that option. He was from a family of LE people, and one of his best friends was a cop (who agreed with him - and quit policing because of it). Dad’s experience with police spanned 90 years (there’s a newspaper article of him and his brother being picked up for curfew violation when he was 9).

Having you on this thread, Gitana, is like having our own dedicated and expert legal professional, far better than any coverage I’m seeing elsewhere.

CourtTV posted this 1:02 minutes short clip of Prosecution's opening summary:

Twitter

"Amber Guyger made a series of unreasonable errors and unreasonable decisions and unreasonable choices."

yes she certainly did!!!! but what was her motive??? living there just 2 months did she even know BSJ or any neighbors???

Yet, as someone who taught for years at a Sheriff’s academy, one of the main points I had to drive home was that being a policeman is not the most dangerous occupation. The Bureau of Labor Statistics, year after year, shows that. Worldwide, the same occupation comes up in nearly every nation as the “most dangerous” (fisherman; if controlled by which nations are landlocked, fishing is and apparently has always been the world’s most dangerous occupation).

The other “most dangerous” include roofers, airline pilots and flight engineers, loggers, and refuse workers. My brother, a pilot, is 3X more likely to die in the line of duty than my friends who are police. And fisherman are about 7-8X more likely to die than police.

Firefighters and police share similar death stats, and yet, both groups choose their professions knowing the risks and in my view, must work with that knowledge and not excuse illegal or negligent or antisocial behavior because there are risks. We honor some of these professions way more (police and firefighters get the flag at half mast where I live - refuse workers and pilots do not).

I agree that as a society, we must do what we can to equip police and support them in their duties; permitting them to use the tools we’ve provided to harm innocent people cannot be part of the gig. Perhaps our legal system is not yet equipped to deal with these police-specific screw-ups, and maybe this case will be part of addressing that.

Obviously, we need to treat police the same as all other citizens when it comes to facing justice. I sure don’t know what “justice” is in this case, but 180 days in jail does not seem like enough. Truthfully, if she could some how spend the rest of her life involved in traveling the nation to warn other police about the need to separate personal lives and personal problems (including the need for overtime) from their professional duties...that would be great.
Could not agree more! Soldiers face real fear on the battlefield and I promise saying "oops, my bad" is not going to help.

So am I reading right that some think this case is only being prosecuted because she is white and he is black? Wow. I hope justice is served. If I drive my car and hit someone because I was distracted im still liable. She is culpable and should be punished. Her depraved indifference afterwards disgusts me

Now BJ's family is playing the race card.

SMH!!!!

Their attorney said that if he were white, he would be alive.

"Unfortunately the color of Botham's skin was the weapon she saw".

They are probably just scared AG will walk.
Bo’s sister said they needed this so they can go on, go forward.

MOO

So did she order commands or just start shooting at him?

I really hope she takes the stand and explains why she did what she did

You know I might have done the same. Walked into my apartment. Key seems weird. See some dude in there. My instinct would be I'm in trouble. It's why I don't conceal carry. I'm too worried about danger.

However, i'm not a trained cop. And I also think I wouldn't make that mistake because I try to be super aware of my surroundings, also due to being hyper alert for danger.

Last edited:
Really? I live in California and I don’t think that would be true here. Almost no cases are covered nation-wide these days, but in California, any unusual type of crime (cop neighbor shooting defenseless neighbor in his own home) would get lots of press (like that recent Costco shooting). We’ve had a couple of cop suicides that are still getting some press, years later (families have challenged MoD). A recent case where a cop didn’t kill himself but did shoot himself badly got a lot of press (white guy).

A white male stabbed to death while eating at a nice restaurant in Central California (by a black man) is still getting press and got tons of press when it happened (but perhaps not nation-wide?)

But as to “nation-wide” coverage, well, I barely heard about this case (it wasn’t in my local media feed at all) and wouldn’t even have heard about it if I didn’t follow true crime on reddit. WS of course is a wealth of daily crime info, but we are hardly typical (I’m a fairly new member, so yesterday is about the first time I actually read about this case).

By Nationwide I mean the national news outlets picked up the case. The nationwide news only picks up certain cases causing huge public outcry is my point. I of course am local to this case but there are numerous examples of this.

So am I reading right that some think this case is only being prosecuted because she is white and he is black? Wow. I hope justice is served. If I drive my car and hit someone because I was distracted im still liable. She is culpable and should be punished. Her depraved indifference afterwards disgusts me
I for one am not saying that’s it’s only being prosecuted for that reason. I am saying it’s getting this national attention and public outcry for the murder charge for that reason. I think had it not been for the public outcry she would’ve been charged with manslaughter which was the original suggestion and certainly she should be convicted of. IMO

I hope she does as well, it seems she didn't even give him a chance to stand up imo

Isn’t that what Castle Doctrine does, though? Give people the idea that they can shoot an intruder inside their own home, regardless?

I’m not that familiar with Texas law, but every Texan I’ve met seems to believe this is their right (I lived in El Paso for a while). Heck, lots of people everywhere believe this - but I believe Castle Doctrine makes it legally explicit that you can shoot and ask questions later if someone is an intruder inside your home or RV or trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsedani