Found Alive TX - Fort Cavazos Spc. Craig Chamberlain, 23, Killeen, declared AWOL in March, last seen by wife after argument, 15 May 2023 *wife dies a week later*

Do we know he was getting paid? Maybe that is the reason for the financial problems? If she was working as an air traffic controller, I believe they have a pretty nice income. Like everyone else is stating, there is a lot to this story we are missing and we may never know what is might be! Glad Craig was found safe and RIP Cameron.
I can't see how he was getting paid if he was not showing up to work and failed to report to his new duty station. What job would keep paying you if you just stopped showing up?

I have heard that the military is trying a softer approach to avoid using AWOL, so I’m thinking that is why they are using voluntarily missing. This is because AWOL has a bad connotation in general. They do eventually change the status to AWOL if necessary. They are using it as a way for someone to come back from a mental break, etc., making it easier to turn their self in if necessary.
The softer approach to avoid using the AWOL status is odd. I can see providing immediate and necessary medical and mental health services. Afterward, I except charges filed. One doesn't just quit serving in the military if one wants to quit, one goes through the proper channel for discharge.

The softer approach to avoid using the AWOL status is odd. I can see providing immediate and necessary medical and mental health services. Afterward, I except charges filed. One doesn't just quit serving in the military if one wants to quit, one goes through the proper channel for discharge.
I think it's more about making sure the ones who go AWOL for reasons related to mental health don't escalate the situation to suicide or harming others. If they think they're in so much trouble that can't be fixed because of their AWOL status and the only way out is suicide, that doesn't help anyone. I think it's really important that they are able to get help. Not saying that people can just get a pat on the back, but there needs to be more help and guidance.

I think it's more about making sure the ones who go AWOL for reasons related to mental health don't escalate the situation to suicide or harming others. If they think they're in so much trouble that can't be fixed because of their AWOL status and the only way out is suicide, that doesn't help anyone. I think it's really important that they are able to get help. Not saying that people can just get a pat on the back, but there needs to be more help and guidance.
I agree. A follow-up needed to be conducted by the military as soon as he was a no-show for duty. A death could possibly be prevented. The soldier and his wife could have received services and assistance for this struggling couple.

If they are just “quitting” they will eventually be considered to be AWOL. This isn’t really a change in status, just terminology. If they just had a “bad moment”, mental breakdown, whatever, it just means that if they come back after a very short period of time they might be able to return to the service after receiving help. It’s really just to make it less harsh sounding for media, etc. only the name changes, the charges, penalties, etc. remain the same.

This is such a bizarre case.

When I was reading about it over the weekend, it made me wonder if this was a Romeo & Juliet style case? One thinks the other is dead, so kills themself. After the fact, it turns out the one wasn't dead. That's at least how part of the story goes.

Regardless, this sounds sad & like a tragic situation for those involved.

MOO.

Last edited:
This is such a bizarre case.

When I was reading about it over the weekend, it made me wonder if this was a Romeo & Juliet style case? One thinks the other is dead, so kills themself. After the fact, it turns out the one wasn't dead. That's at least how part of the story goes.

Regardless, this sounds sad & like a tragic situation for those involved.

MOO.
I just hope it wasn’t orchestrated. IMO

Agree, maybe a soft way of washing out.
If he went AWOL when he was set to be deployed to Korea, and that was months before his wife reported him missing then it seems a lack of oversight if no one recognized his absence and was taking action to discharge.

How many of us could simply stop showing up for work, still get our paycheck, and think this is some kind of solution to issues with our employer?
I would guess None.
As a tax payer it begs the question- how much money is wasted paying servicemen for months that are AWOL and therefore someone else is doing their job?

JMO

Where is the documentation he was paid while AWOL?

I have heard that the military is trying a softer approach to avoid using AWOL, so I’m thinking that is why they are using voluntarily missing. This is because AWOL has a bad connotation in general. They do eventually change the status to AWOL if necessary. They are using it as a way for someone to come back from a mental break, etc., making it easier to turn their self in if necessary.
The armed forces make a major investment in training people, sometimes in highly technical areas. I assume they'd want to get them through a rough patch, if possible, and retain that skilled person.

The armed forces make a major investment in training people, sometimes in highly technical areas. I assume they'd want to get them through a rough patch, if possible, and retain that skilled person.
Agreed. Plus soldiers can be medically discharged. It’s not the same as dishonorable or honorable but it’s not the black stain on your record like dishonorable is.
MOO but soldiers with mental health issues are eligible for medical discharge.

I don’t know if it’s appropriate to speculate here, but if you watch the video of Cameron’s interview, you’ll probably understand what I’m saying. They weren’t a traditional relationship in the way that I would expect a conservative church going Texas family would approve of. I expect that they probably didn’t get a lot of family support, based on what parents have said in the interview, and I don’t know much about the military but I can’t imagine there was loads of support there either.
Army veteran here. Met & married my hubby who was also in the Army. There is support in the military for just about everything and easy to get to IF the soldier asks or command knows of the issue. Help in so many areas, just a few big ones off top of my head - Social work, finance, relationship, drug/alcohol, parenting, mental health, etc. Problem comes when soldiers or family won't seek or ask for help. Mental health used to be stigmatized real bad and still is but not like years ago. So many didn't admit to mental health issues unless it was noticeable at work and often then it appeared as anger management issues. So then they got anger management. I could go on and on, but short version is there are services for help on just about anything. An army base is like a mini city or country with all the same kinds of resources a city or country in the civilian world would have.

Army veteran here. Met & married my hubby who was also in the Army. There is support in the military for just about everything and easy to get to IF the soldier asks or command knows of the issue. Help in so many areas, just a few big ones off top of my head - Social work, finance, relationship, drug/alcohol, parenting, mental health, etc. Problem comes when soldiers or family won't seek or ask for help. Mental health used to be stigmatized real bad and still is but not like years ago. So many didn't admit to mental health issues unless it was noticeable at work and often then it appeared as anger management issues. So then they got anger management. I could go on and on, but short version is there are services for help on just about anything. An army base is like a mini city or country with all the same kinds of resources a city or country in the civilian world would have.
Thank you for your service!

Exactly! This was very much a black and white situation for many years..come or go, no return. Everyone deserves another chance. They might have stepped away for a few days, should that mean their career is over? It’s just a very different approach than in the past. A small tweak that could mean everything to someone. I feel that the terminology change helps keep shaming out of the situation.

MAY 31, 2023
[...]

Before Craig Chamberlain was found, family, friends and even strangers organized a search party in Killeen.

"There was always somebody on the ground, looking at all times," Virginia Chamberlain said.
Virginia Chamberlain says she prayed every day for Craig Chamberlain to come home. Her prayers were quickly answered after she received a phone call that led her right to her son.

"One of the people that were with us, helping us had already went ahead of us," Virginia Chamberlain said. "They called us and said we have someone here that has a tip that Craig's [Chamberlain] been seen. We immediately stopped what we're doing. We got in the car. We drove over there. That person led us to Craig [Chamberlain]."

Craig Chamberlain's mother not only expressed thanks to every person who helped in the search process, but she also thanked God for the power of prayer.

"I remember praying to Him," Virginia Chamberlain said. "Every morning, I woke up, and I just said, 'Today's the day we're going to find him.' I know that through this whole thing God just led us and directed us."

[...]

It seems like there was a tremendous amount of friction in this family. Why? I have suspicions. I am glad he was found. This is tragic for his wife and her family. Clearly there is a back story we will never know.

It seems like there was a tremendous amount of friction in this family. Why? I have suspicions. I am glad he was found. This is tragic for his wife and her family. Clearly there is a back story we will never know.

But inquiring minds want to know, darn it!

I think I'm going to have to venture into the jungle of social media on this one.

But inquiring minds want to know, darn it!

I think I'm going to have to venture into the jungle of social media on this one.

Let's see if you have any of the same thoughts when you come back out as I did <wink>.

Keep in mind I am seldom correct in figuring out the back stories! These are only my thoughts right now, and might have a little glass of Shiraz mixed in. But I will keep an open mind to reset them if/when new info appears.

1) There was some kind of plan to all this that Craig was unaware of
2) There was a third party involved (beyond wife, who scared ME! JMO see my post #52)
3) Craig finally figured out what was happening, and was terrified (and still might be)
3) His parents were (and still are) oblivious as to what was actually going on

Remember all MOO and based on my own trip to the jungle!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back