TX - Hailey Dunn, 13, murdered, Scurry County, Dec 2010 *Arrest in 2021, released in 2023* #4

I know you read the statement issued when the charges were dropped. You’re grossly misstating the facts. They dismissed without prejudice and sent the case back for further investigation.

We all have opinions about Adkins, but you cannot say they don’t have a case against him. That’s simply not true.
If they had a case against him they would not have dismissed the charges. The charges were dismissed because there was insufficient evidence and they knew it. If they had gone to trial, and the case was then dismissed there, and that would have been the end of it. They were relying on the dirt on his boots matching dirt from the site HD's remains were found, but that turned out not to be the case. That, together with the window of opportunity being very small were the reasons they gave for dismissing the charges. If their case rested on a single piece of evidence then I would suggest that the case was not strong at all. And at this point I don't see what else they could possibly find. They dismissed the charges before going to trial to keep the possibility of refiling at a later date open, but realistically it is over.

Let me put it this way then, what case do YOU think they have? If you think there is a case, present an evidence chain that supports SA being the one responsible. I would be curious to see what your argument actually is. Over the years people have kept on asking why has he not been arrested yet, why is it taking so long, and that they think he is guilty, but they never say why they think that or why a conviction would be so certain if he was arrested. If everyone is so adamant that he is guilty, then surely they have a solid argument for why that is the case. What is the basis for their firmly held belief?

What would be the motive? I know that if there is compelling evidence for the crime then you don't need a motive, you only need to show what happened, but if there is little or no evidence then you most definitely do need a motive.

How would it have happened? Is there anything to support that it happened that way?

What was the window of opportunity? How was it determined? Could the accused have reasonably done it in that window?

Are there alternative explanations for what might have happened that could fit the known facts? Why are these alternative explanations not viable?

Those are the kinds of things that would be brought up in a trial, so you would need to have a good answer for them.

When SA was arrested, I did not understand why they did it since the facts, such as we knew publicly, in my opinion were insufficient to support an arrest let alone a conviction. My understanding was the current DA decided to re-examine the cold case, reinterviewed potential witnesses and on the basis of new evidence arrested SA. At the time we did not know what that evidence was. Speculation was that it was DNA since they apparently collected a DNA sample just prior to arresting him, although I did not see how a DNA specimen would have helped in this case since SA and HD lived together meaning cross contamination would be expected. Nor did I see what they could possibly have gotten now that they did not already have years ago. It would appear that this new evidence was actually the dirt on the boots. And when that turned out not to be the case after the FBI forensics looked at it the situation went back to insufficient evidence again.

We all need to remember that the case was dismissed ‘without prejudice’. So maybe he will be recharged, maybe not.

Dunn's private investigator said the prosecutor dropped the charges at the request of the FBI. She said the case was dismissed without prejudice. This means that the state can re-file the charges against Adkins at a later date.

Thanks @TexasGiGi wonder why that particular paper is the only one covering?

So the MCDA says the charges will be re-filed @Tugela01. Oh wait, I guess the poster isn't a member any longer, hmmn ...

Commissioners voted unanimously to pay Bode Technologies, a Florida-based testing facility, for genetic testing on hair strands related to the murder of former the Colorado Middle School student who went missing in 2011. Her remains were discovered later near Lake J.B. Thomas.

“I think we need to do this to keep the case moving forward,” said Commissioner Jeremy Strain. “I think we have to pay the bill and keep the process moving.”

Strain said the county had set aside about $50,000 for a possible trial in last year’s budget. Those funds, he said, could be repurposed to help cover the cost for the testing, especially as a trial, when it happens, will likely not take place in Mitchell County.

“We set that (money) aside so, in my opinion, the county needs to cover it all,” he said. “If we can get some of that back through insurance, that’s great. If not, we need to do what we can to keep this (case) moving.”

Despite dismissing charges, Thompson said Adkins remains the prime suspect in the case and that charges could be filed again once the state has organized its case.

The DNA testing, which cost $25,736, was been submitted to Bode Technologies by a Texas Rangers officer after being told the facility was the only lab in the U.S. capable of obtaining a reading off a small sample of hairs. According to Mitchell County District Attorney Ricky N. Thompson, approximately nine hair strands were found in a vehicle suspected to have been involved in the case.

I wonder how they plan on proving that the hairs they found weren't already there since they lived in the same house and had daily contact.
Weren't they found clutched in her hand or am I thinking about another case? There would no reason for his hair to be found in her hand IMO.

Weren't they found clutched in her hand or am I thinking about another case? There would no reason for his hair to be found in her hand IMO.
Lloyd found Hailey Dunn's remains March 16 near Lake JB Thomas in Scurry County.

Lloyd recently told KTXS that he found a skull, a tooth and a femur, along with blue warmups that Hailey Dunn, then 13, was believed to have been wearing when she disappeared in late December 2010.

No, you're thinking of another case, IMO.

I hate that TX cold case page on the .gov site lists this case as "solved" and hasn't updated to include Shawn's release.

DETAILS:

Hailey DUNN, 13, was an outgoing 8th grade student at Colorado City Middle School located in Mitchell County, Texas. Hailey was a cheerleader, active in sports and band. On 12-27-2010, Hailey was last seen leaving her mother's house to go to a friend's house, but never arrived. On 12-28-2010, Hailey's mother reported her missing. On 03-16-2013, the remains of Hailey were located near Lake J.B. Thomas in Scurry County, Texas.

On 06/13/2021, Shawn Adkins was arrested for the murder of Hailey Dunn. At the time of the offense, Adkins was the boyfriend of Hailey's mother. This investigation will continue.

All persons are presumed innocent until convicted in a court of law.
Details - Unsolved Homicide

I hope one day we see justice for Hailey :(

Hoping for the holidays to be filled with good food, great friends and a loving family for each of you. Maybe this next year will bring some justice for Hailey. I so hope David will man up and go to authorities with what he knows. Hailey needs someone to speak up for her. Happy Holidays everyone!

That was not the reason the prosecutor gave in court though, and the reason the prosecutor gave is the real reason. They thought that dirt collected from SA's boots matched dirt from where HDs remains were found, but the FBI forensics disagreeed with them. Basically the evidence they thought they had to corroborate their hypothesis turned out not to be evidence and the period of opportunity was too short to have reasonably been enough to commit the crime anyway. and there was a maximum of 2 hours for SA to have returned to CC from BS, killed her, dropped the body at the lake, returned to CC and cleaned the house and car so thoroughly there was no trace of anything (and yes, they did a forensic search of the car and found nothing). Two hours is simply not enough. Essentially there was no case. They had no absolute proof that SA did not do it however, so they left it open, but basically the case against SA is done.

Whatever the Hailey Dunn page is claiming is just made up.

The claims about what went on in Odessa are more likely closer to the truth about what really happened to HD. I doubt SA or BD had anything to do with it. Instead, look to where HD went AFTER she left the house when SA returned to CC. That is where you will find your answers.
Reading back over this upsetting case. Bbm, and this is not the first time they mentioned blood.
That was not the reason the prosecutor gave in court though, and the reason the prosecutor gave is the real reason. They thought that dirt collected from SA's boots matched dirt from where HDs remains were found, but the FBI forensics disagreeed with them. Basically the evidence they thought they had to corroborate their hypothesis turned out not to be evidence and the period of opportunity was too short to have reasonably been enough to commit the crime anyway. There would have been tons of blood from the injury HD sustained, there was no evidence of any of that, and there was a maximum of 2 hours for SA to have returned to CC from BS, killed her, dropped the body at the lake, returned to CC and cleaned the house and car so thoroughly there was no trace of anything (and yes, they did a forensic search of the car and found nothing). Two hours is simply not enough. Essentially there was no case. They had no absolute proof that SA did not do it however, so they left it open, but basically the case against SA is done.

Whatever the Hailey Dunn page is claiming is just made up.

The claims about what went on in Odessa are more likely closer to the truth about what really happened to HD. I doubt SA or BD had anything to do with it. Instead, look to where HD went AFTER she left the house when SA returned to CC. That is where you will find your answers.
Bbm, reading back, this is not the only time the poster lots of or tons of blood. Did LE ever state that? I do know there was the head injury. They can be closed head injuries, and one can paint or replace furniture etc. And the lack of time to commit the murder she stated many times as fact makes no sense to me. Not to be graphic but a head injury happens very quickly imo. And I don't recall if LE speculated about strangulation. Both methods can be quick, and not messy imo. ETA and iirc the TOD and location is assumed, not absolute fact.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back