TX TX - Houston, 'Swimsuit Boy' WhtMale 15-19, UP4547, Dean Corll victim, Aug'73

I just copied the info from the Namus file. Are you saying there's a mistake?

clerical error his name is Mitchel Weiser not Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
clerical error his name is Mitchel Weiser not Michael

Ah, okay, thanks :) I think I've seen it wrong in other places as well. I'll fix it.

Ruleouts from Namus listing as of December 11 2013 (correct spelling of Mitchel Weisner's name):

Mark Bachelder 1957 Texas
James Egan 1954 Wisconsin
David Hesterlee 1956 Texas
Dermot Kelly 1955 Illinois
Norman Prater 1957 Texas
Derran Rogers 1959 California
David Waggoner 1947 Texas
Mitchel Weiser 1956 New York

Does anybody know how conclusive the evidence is that the U.S. Peace shirt belongs to this particular boy? It was found amidst three of the boys, wasn't it? Were they definitely able to connect it to this boy? Or was it ruled out as being the other two boys' based on speaking with their families?

Also, I couldn't find any pictures of the shirt that showed the letters USMC. Were they getting that by turning the shirt sideways, and considering the U's to be C's? And the 11 being sideways also? I looked into the possibility of it meaning 11 years or an 11th Annual rally, protest, concert or other event around Houston at that time but I didn't find anything. I doubt this shirt would have anything to do with the Marine Corps, really. And looking at the 11s, they could only be 11's if they were sideways and backwards. That would make the shirt either lamely inaccurate or brilliantly subtextual.

Anyway, I've been doing some considerable research on the shirt. You know, this boy was only killed about three years after Woodstock. They sold peace shirts like crazy there, and everywhere else too. I was just thinking as to where he might have gotten it, and why he would written on it what he did.

Then I started paying attention to how crudely the design was made (or did it just degrade and break apart due to its storage conditions)? It looks like a haphazard, homemade jobby...not something made well enough to sell. The obvious message appears to be an anti-war sentiment. There are particular graphic elements within the shirt, and they appear to have been placed over top of each other in layers. 1) the peace symbol, 2) the U.S. text, and 3) the jagged white lines. It make sense that, if the message is one of peace between nations, that the other two elements would represent the two nations. The U.S. With the Stars and Stripes is obvious, so the remaining element, the jagged lines, must represent the other nation...Vietnam, most likely, since we were currently at war with the Vietnamese. And, of course, it is well-known that the opposition to that war was tremendous.

I looked up symbolic representations of Vietnam and there was one recurring image that kept popping up repeatedly. It was the symbol of "longevity", a symbol composed of angular lines. The lines on the shirt bear a striking, although simplistic, resemblance to those in this Vietnamese symbol. If you do a google search using just the two keywords "symbol vietnam" you will see what I am talking about.

As far as the lettering goes, the only reason I can imagine somebody writing on a shirt like that, directly beneath a graphic, and as neatly and intentionally as was done, is to either create a caption to accompany or explain the graphic, or to document the event where the shirt was purchased or worn. Or else to identify the shirt as belonging to a particular owner by labeling it with his name, or perhaps even to sign the graphic work in a visible place as the artist.

I tend to agree with whomever it was here who suggested that it could alternately read "LBHMF". The only phrase I could come up with that made sense was "Let's bring home military forces". I strongly doubt this is correct; it doesn't really flow. And I suspect that he may well have abbreviated a commonly quoted phrase that other people would have printed or shouted at protests or rallys. However, I was not able to find any documented slogans that matched the letters.

Something else I noted about the lettering...has anybody else mentioned this? There seems to be a big gap after the fifth letter and then what looks like part of another letter. It reminds me of the angled strokes of a K. Then I thought I could faintly make out a hint of other letters in between, perhaps ones that faded out because the ink degraded more there. I think I may have just been seeing things, though...connecting dots into lines where there were no lines. When I started looking around at other areas of the graphic I started seeing letters everywhere. Kind of like when you keep seeing shapes and faces in the clouds. But that stray mark to the right of the five letters intrigues me.

By the way, has anybody noticed that the reconstructions of Michael Baulch, Randall Harvey, and the boy in the swim trunks all look like slight variations of each other? And then there's the alternate reconstruction. I have a hard time identifying people according to sketches and Line drawings. I can't visualize the dimensionality.

Wow! I think I stumbled upon this case without knowing it was posted here. I actually spoke to the ME's office Deborah Pinto to rule out Peter Bonick and Richard Lamdon and neither were a match. I snipped out my information but the rest is really copy/pasted from our correspondence. If you can see, I brought up the fact that the items (boots) and bones may have well been mixed up with others since they said it was a "mass grave" of sorts. Idk how well they took that into consideration though. But I was happy with her willingness to work with me. :)Pinto, Deborrah (IFS)

Jan 21

to me
DNA excluded Richard Lamson as a possible match for ML73-3356.
Thank you,
DCP

Deborrah C. Pinto, PhD
Forensic Anthropologist II
Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences
1885 Old Spanish Trail
Houston TX 77054
713-796-6819 (Business)
713-796-6799 (Fax)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2014 2:54 PM
To: Pinto, Deborrah (IFS)
Subject: Re: Peter Bonick

I didn't know if it was included in the message but Peter had a friend named Richard Lamdon. He was told to have worn boots and his facial structure seems similar to me. Sorry to bother you. And thank you for a quick response.

"Pinto, Deborrah (IFS)" <Deborrah.Pinto@ifs.hctx.net> wrote:

>Dear Ms. ,
>
>I compared the dental records of Peter Bonick against the unidentified decedent ML73-3356 and found no match. Please feel free to contact our office with further questions, inquiries, or possible matches.
>
>Thank you,
>DCP
>
>Deborrah C. Pinto, PhD
>Forensic Anthropologist II
>Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences
>1885 Old Spanish Trail
>Houston TX 77054
>713-796-6819 (Business)
>713-796-6799 (Fax)

Does anybody know how conclusive the evidence is that the U.S. Peace shirt belongs to this particular boy? It was found amidst three of the boys, wasn't it? Were they definitely able to connect it to this boy? Or was it ruled out as being the other two boys' based on speaking with their families?

Also, I couldn't find any pictures of the shirt that showed the letters USMC. Were they getting that by turning the shirt sideways, and considering the U's to be C's? And the 11 being sideways also? I looked into the possibility of it meaning 11 years or an 11th Annual rally, protest, concert or other event around Houston at that time but I didn't find anything. I doubt this shirt would have anything to do with the Marine Corps, really. And looking at the 11s, they could only be 11's if they were sideways and backwards. That would make the shirt either lamely inaccurate or brilliantly subtextual.

Anyway, I've been doing some considerable research on the shirt. You know, this boy was only killed about three years after Woodstock. They sold peace shirts like crazy there, and everywhere else too. I was just thinking as to where he might have gotten it, and why he would written on it what he did.

Then I started paying attention to how crudely the design was made (or did it just degrade and break apart due to its storage conditions)? It looks like a haphazard, homemade jobby...not something made well enough to sell. The obvious message appears to be an anti-war sentiment. There are particular graphic elements within the shirt, and they appear to have been placed over top of each other in layers. 1) the peace symbol, 2) the U.S. text, and 3) the jagged white lines. It make sense that, if the message is one of peace between nations, that the other two elements would represent the two nations. The U.S. With the Stars and Stripes is obvious, so the remaining element, the jagged lines, must represent the other nation...Vietnam, most likely, since we were currently at war with the Vietnamese. And, of course, it is well-known that the opposition to that war was tremendous.

I looked up symbolic representations of Vietnam and there was one recurring image that kept popping up repeatedly. It was the symbol of "longevity", a symbol composed of angular lines. The lines on the shirt bear a striking, although simplistic, resemblance to those in this Vietnamese symbol. If you do a google search using just the two keywords "symbol vietnam" you will see what I am talking about.

As far as the lettering goes, the only reason I can imagine somebody writing on a shirt like that, directly beneath a graphic, and as neatly and intentionally as was done, is to either create a caption to accompany or explain the graphic, or to document the event where the shirt was purchased or worn. Or else to identify the shirt as belonging to a particular owner by labeling it with his name, or perhaps even to sign the graphic work in a visible place as the artist.

I tend to agree with whomever it was here who suggested that it could alternately read "LBHMF". The only phrase I could come up with that made sense was "Let's bring home military forces". I strongly doubt this is correct; it doesn't really flow. And I suspect that he may well have abbreviated a commonly quoted phrase that other people would have printed or shouted at protests or rallys. However, I was not able to find any documented slogans that matched the letters.

Something else I noted about the lettering...has anybody else mentioned this? There seems to be a big gap after the fifth letter and then what looks like part of another letter. It reminds me of the angled strokes of a K. Then I thought I could faintly make out a hint of other letters in between, perhaps ones that faded out because the ink degraded more there. I think I may have just been seeing things, though...connecting dots into lines where there were no lines. When I started looking around at other areas of the graphic I started seeing letters everywhere. Kind of like when you keep seeing shapes and faces in the clouds. But that stray mark to the right of the five letters intrigues me.

By the way, has anybody noticed that the reconstructions of Michael Baulch, Randall Harvey, and the boy in the swim trunks all look like slight variations of each other? And then there's the alternate reconstruction. I have a hard time identifying people according to sketches and Line drawings. I can't visualize the dimensionality.

A silkscreened design will often deteriorate like that just from ordinary wear, so I'm not surprised by the condition. But it could be a one-of-a-kind he made himself. In the late 60s and early 70s, back when most schools still required students to take things like art and music, many schools offered classes in silk screening. I took one myself. I didn't make a t-shirt, but several others in the class did.

And yes, I've never been able to see the USMC either. Of course that photo's so bad I can't see much of anything. Do you have a clearer one than what's posted on Namus?

Namus ruleouts as of 5 Feb. 2014. I see they've corrected the spelling of Mitchel Weisner's name. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Mark Bachelder 1957 Texas
Peter Bonick 1953 California
James Egan 1954 Wisconsin
David Hesterlee 1956 Texas
Dermot Kelly 1955 Illinois
Richard Lamson 1952 California
Norman Prater 1957 Texas
Derran Rogers 1959 California
David Waggoner 1947 Texas
Mitchel Weiser 1956 New York

I'm trying to drag a new member, Methodical over here by the hair if I have to. He's a great sleuther!

Looks just like the kid. Did he have any reason to be in Houston area? Hitchhiker? Dean picked up a few hitchhikers.

Houston Mom, I seriously think you should submit John Deeny's photo to the M.E. His facial structure is VERY similar to Swimsuit boy's. Particularly the angled image, which I trust much more than the other one (it would have been sculpted over a model of his skull so the contours of his face would be revealed). I think there's a very good possibility that it's him. And his name hasn't been ruled out. He's a strong possibility.

Plus, if my theory about the timeline is correct then any kid anywhere in the country could be Corll's victim. Not just kids in Houston. Notice that when John Deeny disappeared there were no Houston victims for like four months. I seriously think [modsnip] may have taken his show on the road. And wasn't he on his own for some of 1973? He probably wouldn't have wanted to drive around trying to pick up kids in his own neighborhood, especially when so many boys had already disappeared.

[modsnip]

I just double-checked the timeline and while there were about 4 months there in 1973 with no victims (from Feb 1 - June 4) he did move into a new house on March 7th. Although possibly that move date was just on paper. Or even still he could have gone on a trip as soon as he moved and had plenty of time to abduct. Another possibility would be that his *advertiser censored* perv pals could have handed off some boys when they had finished with them. Honestly, I think Deano-boy took a road trip in 1973.

And what do you think was up with all the moves? The obvious thing that comes to mind for me is that he was being cautious and he didn't want to stay in one place long enough to have his neighbors notice a slew of boys coming and going. Or coming and NOT going. But people always draw attention to themselves when they move. And every time he evacuated one of his crime scenes he risked leaving evidence or something else behind that someone could find. I wonder if he got spooked a number of times.

I never understood how they could have some of the boys contact home with messages saying they were going to hang out with Brooks or with Henley, or how they could get the boys to leave their home with them to go to a party without letting their parents know, or how they could even just walk around with them and yet have nobody witness any of the missing boys hanging out with those two.

And when Brooks ends up with a brand new Corvette? And they both suddenly have a lot more spending money? How did nobody notice those things?

Hugs, pokypuppy. I've been through some of those same feelings and it's no fun. You've done great work.

I just double-checked the timeline and while there were about 4 months there in 1973 with no victims (from Feb 1 - June 4) he did move into a new house on March 7th. Although possibly that move date was just on paper. Or even still he could have gone on a trip as soon as he moved and had plenty of time to abduct. Another possibility would be that his *advertiser censored* perv pals could have handed off some boys when they had finished with them. Honestly, I think Deano-boy took a road trip in 1973.

And what do you think was up with all the moves? The obvious thing that comes to mind for me is that he was being cautious and he didn't want to stay in one place long enough to have his neighbors notice a slew of boys coming and going. Or coming and NOT going. But people always draw attention to themselves when they move. And every time he evacuated one of his crime scenes he risked leaving evidence or something else behind that someone could find. I wonder if he got spooked a number of times.

I never understood how they could have some of the boys contact home with messages saying they were going to hang out with Brooks or with Henley, or how they could get the boys to leave their home with them to go to a party without letting their parents know, or how they could even just walk around with them and yet have nobody witness any of the missing boys hanging out with those two.

And when Brooks ends up with a brand new Corvette? And they both suddenly have a lot more spending money? How did nobody notice those things?

Have you read the book The Man with the Candy? You need to if this case interests you. It's amazing how he was able to carry on kidnapping friends and neighbors in the same are for so long. I grew up in the area. There were missing posters of different kids on top of each other on the same lamp post. It's unbelievable. The book gave me nightmares.

Have you read the book The Man with the Candy? You need to if this case interests you. It's amazing how he was able to carry on kidnapping friends and neighbors in the same are for so long. I grew up in the area. There were missing posters of different kids on top of each other on the same lamp post. It's unbelievable. The book gave me nightmares.

OMG! We're lucky to have you with us!:eek:

OMG! We're lucky to have you with us!:eek:

Thanks :blowkiss: but I wasn't among his "target audience" if you will. I was just a young girl, but my brother was the same age as most of his victims. I can remember watching the news as body after body was dug up.:scared:

It's hard to describe the shock of having multiple bodies dug up in your area, and people going missing. We had -- I hate to call him a run of the mill serial killer, but "only" 5 to 7 known victims, with two of the bodies discovered at the same time and one about six months later. Even though it was known that he was kidnapping prostitutes from a particular area, still you couldn't stop thinking that you might be next, and every time the wind made the house rattle, you'd think it was somebody breaking in. I can't even imagine how horrifying it must have been to be a kid and see something far worse going on around you. OMG. I'm glad you and your brother are okay.

No I haven't but I will definitely be buying a copy. Thank you! The logistical details of this case are perplexing. And everything else about it is absolutely horrifying. I can't even begin to imagine how much devastation this one "man" caused by his selfishness and cruelty. I will never understand how anyone could be so heartless.

Snoods, I'm sure glad that your brother didn't end up being one of the victims. And what a terrifying thing to happen so close to home. The innocence and sense of security that all children deserve to have was stolen from so many of you young kids growing up around there. I was fortunate as a child that I didn't have to know such monsters even existed.

Hi guys,

[modsnip]

Houston Mom, did you have a chance to send John Deeny's photo in to the M.E. for possible match? I think you really found a strong possibility for the identity of swimsuit boy.

I wish there was some way to get today's police to dig up the rest of the remains. I really believe Norman Prater would be found among them. There are families out there who have never found closure who still need answers. Have any of you guys from Houston ever heard whisperings of that happening some day? Some kind of plans for recovering those remains? Or any reasons why they would choose not to do so?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back