Identified! TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 #4 Sherry Ann Jarvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes the “I’ll contact you again between my 18th - 21st birthdays.” Sounds very weird and unsettling. That’s a strange thing to write to your family.

It sounds believable to me—actually, it resonates with me. When I was 13/14, I’d made specific plans for something I was going to do when I reached 18+. (It turned out that I didn’t need to.)

Since she was taken away from her parents, could she even have been trying to protect them, by not coming back to visit until the state doesn’t have control over her?

I personally disagree with the accepted time of death for Sherri - if she was found approximately 5 miles from her last known location (probably hitchhiking) then why do they think she died at around 3 AM?

I'm assuming it was based off her decomposition, rigor mortis, blood pooling and whatever else medical examiners do to determine time of death, but (assuming they are correct) it does bring the question of, what were Sherri's final movements before the murder and where did it take place.

As a historian, I guess it’s my time to shine (lol) so here’s a timeline of events so far:
(Please note that some of these dates and times are approximated)
  • March 9, 1966- Sherri is born in either Virginia or Minnesota (probably the latter)
  • c. 1966-1970- Sherri’s parents separate or divorce
  • February 28, 1970- Sherri’s parents remarry
  • April 10, 1971- Another sister is born
  • October 20, 1974- Another sister is born
  • 1979/1980- Sherri is removed from her parents’ custody
  • c. March 1980- Sherri (probably) runs away from her housing location
  • c. April 1980- Sherri sends a final letter to her mother from Denver, Colorado
  • c. Sept 1980- Sherri gets her ears pierced
  • October 31, 1980-
    • 6:30 PM- Sherri arrives at the South End Gulf Station
    • 8:30 PM- Sherri arrives at the Hitchin' Post Truck Stop
  • November 1, 1980
    • (approximately) 3:20 AM- Sherri is killed by an unknown individual
    • 9:30 AM- Sherri's body is found

Did both parents remarry? Were the siblings who were born in '71 and '74 born to the mother and her new husband or the father and his new wife?

As a historian, I guess it’s my time to shine (lol) so here’s a timeline of events so far:
(Please note that some of these dates and times are approximated)
  • March 9, 1966- Sherri is born in either Virginia or Minnesota (probably the latter)
  • c. 1966-1970- Sherri’s parents separate or divorce
  • February 28, 1970- Sherri’s parents remarry
  • April 10, 1971- Another sister is born
  • October 20, 1974- Another sister is born
  • 1979/1980- Sherri is removed from her parents’ custody
  • c. March 1980- Sherri (probably) runs away from her housing location
  • c. April 1980- Sherri sends a final letter to her mother from Denver, Colorado
  • c. Sept 1980- Sherri gets her ears pierced
  • October 31, 1980-
    • 6:30 PM- Sherri arrives at the South End Gulf Station
    • 8:30 PM- Sherri arrives at the Hitchin' Post Truck Stop
  • November 1, 1980
    • (approximately) 3:20 AM- Sherri is killed by an unknown individual
    • 9:30 AM- Sherri's body is found
How do you know the date she got her ears pierced? I thought I'd followed this case pretty closely for years since I live in Rockport, but I've never heard that.

I am still in awe that after all these years, Sherri finally has her name back. I just need to share my absolute gratitude to Carl Koppelman, Othram, and everyone involved in helping give her name back. Might start crying again soon if I think too much.

Rest In Peace, Sherri Ann Jarvis <3

Wow oh wow!! My family and I visit Stillwater often! So surreal finding out she was from there! What a beautiful young lady. I was only 8 when she went missing and was found. I grew up about an hour away from Stillwater. It's right on the Minnesota/Wisconsin state line located on the banks of the St Croix River. Very historical little town that is highly visited, especially in the summer.
Fly high Sherri! Hopefully now, LE can track down the person(s) who extinguished your beautiful, bright light.

Lovely photos of her from a more carefree time. She looks absolutely nothing like what I’d imagined from the PM photos or the resulting reconstructions. I guess we’ve never seen her smiling until now.

I am totally surprised that she’s from the opposite end of the country. When I heard she was not from Texas I was assuming nearby states. Also very shocked that a child could be removed from their family just for truanting. What a horrific punishment for Sherri and her family. And a fat lot of good it did.

RIP young Sherri <3 may you and your family have peace now.

Minnesota can be very harsh on chronic truants. When our Mom died in 1989, my, at the time, 13 year old sister, kept skipping school because she was afraid that if we left him alone, something would happen to him. They sent her to Lino Lakes Juvenile Detention Center for 2 mos. I'm betting that's where Sherri was placed also. Back in the 80s, security was pretty lax for juveniles that weren't charged with violent crimes. The truant kids were barely watched. It would have been very easy for Sherri to slip out after dark and have a friend pick her up.

Minnesota can be very harsh on chronic truants. When our Mom died in 1989, my, at the time, 13 year old sister, kept skipping school because she was afraid that if we left him alone, something would happen to him. They sent her to Lino Lakes Juvenile Detention Center for 2 mos. I'm betting that's where Sherri was placed also. Back in the 80s, security was pretty lax for juveniles that weren't charged with violent crimes. The truant kids were barely watched. It would have been very easy for Sherri to slip out after dark and have a friend pick her up.

RSBM...

Since it appears the letter was sent in April 1980 and she was in Denver at least long enough to send a letter, it seems like she was picked up by someone and somehow brought to Colorado.

I think there could be something on the anniversary, considering there have been some cases ID'd with genetic genealogy that were announced shortly after the anniversary (like Alisha Heinrich or Margaret Fetterolf). However I still want the family to have peace first before anything gets released, don't want to rush them.
Guess I was correct, only 8 days after the anniversary and we finally know her name.

Because her father married in Virginia in 1960 and her parents remarried in Minnesota in 1970 - we don’t when exactly the family moved there.
Because her father married in Virginia in 1960 and her parents remarried in Minnesota in 1970 - we don’t when exactly the family moved there.
Thank you so much for clarifying that for me. Super appreciate it.

Wow. It is surreal to see a name finally affixed to the end of this thread. I had somehow figured @othram might possibly be working behind the scenes on this one. As always, thank you! Another miracle.

I hope that Sherri's killer may someday be identified. She most certainly deserves justice. Peace be with her family also.

Many wouldn't agree, but I think @CarlK90245 recons especially resemble Sherri. Carl, your dedication to this case will be remembered by so many!

Rest peacefully now Sherri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member