Identified! TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 Sherry Ann Jarvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will contact a mod and ask for it to be changed

(sorry) :blush:

ETA Done I just pm'd Animal

ETA 2 - thank you Animal

Jane, Good find!...I think the ears look the same..

Thanks ML - im not so convinced but Id like to see a frontal shot of the JD
although I read that she was severely beaten causing her right eye to be swollen up so maybe thats why its only that profile view

Maybe someone should edit the title of this thread to warn for the post-mortem photo.

Speaking of the photo, does her hair look wavy/curly or is that just her layered haircut? I believe you had to have some layers in your hair to pull off the Seventies/Eighties "wing" style. Most of the missing girls look like they have naturally straight hair.

Is there a way to tell if a UID's hair has been permed or is naturally curly/wavy?

Id say looking at the PM pic that her hair was layered and she possible had that type of hair as in it goes curly when damp or wet.

They could have put something through her hair brushing it all back removing blood and so on before taking the photo.

The sketch that they did shows it was straighter

Who was the JD going to see at Ellis? I realize everyone there denied knowing her, but she had to be going to see someone there, right? She was pretty adament about getting directions etc. If there is a possibility that this could be Marcia, did she have a boyfriend that she went to Texas with from VA? Maybe her boyfriend was arrested and sent to Ellis and that is who she was going to see?

Is Ellis a local jail, state jail, or federal pen? Do they only house TX inmates?

ANother thing that is puzzling to me...if she was seen at 6:30 pm at night on Halloween, would she even have been allowed into the prison? Prisons usually have visiting hours, and I wonder how late those visiting hours would have been? I wonder if the prison has a visitors log showing who was supposed to receive visitors on a certain day. I was reading some info on a prisontalk web board, and it appears that now prisoners have to request visitor time, and they have to be scheduled in advance. I wonder if that was the case back in 1980? I also wonder if there was anyone in Ellis from Rockport, TX, where she said she was from?

I realize that there was no DNA testing in 1980, but would they have still swabbed the bite mark for saliva?

Was anyone ever arrested in this case? I have not been able to shake the details of what happened to her. It just breaks my heart how she suffered. :(

One of the things that concerns me, is that she was asking for directions and was either traveling on foot or accepted a ride from someone. Seeing as folks knew where she was headed, she became easy prey. Someone definitely needs to pay for this crime and I hope that individual has been caught.

We must find this girl's identity and family!

ETA: I just remembered reading that Ottis Toole was suspected of this awful murder. Have they matched his dental records to the bite yet?

On the doe network profile they have the following statement.

"It is believed that Henry Lee Lucas killed this girl, but investigators could not make a match between the bite mark on her left shoulder and his dental reconstruction."

"It is believed that Henry Lee Lucas killed this girl, but investigators could not make a match between the bite mark on her left shoulder and his dental reconstruction."

There must have been saliva taken from the bite mark-wonder if there is any evidence from her case in a cooler that is worth re-running for other profiles? I mean, now we can get DNA from epithelial cells...

What I like about Rachel Garden is her nose, particularly the shape of her nostril...I think the Doe's is distinctive. Beyond that, NAMUS indicates the UID had three fillings and so did Rachel.

Here are the NAMUS dentals:
https://identifyus.org/?p=case&i=4630&=232&s=DateFound_DESC&from=search

Once you get to the site, look at the links on the left of the screen and click on dental

hmm maybe some of these young men she use to associate with went to Prison.

Anyone think this could be a possible match?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/14dftx.html

Lisa Jane Borden
Missing since 1979 from Big Spring, Howard County, Texas.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: January 15, 1960
Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"; 140 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Scar on left hand, as well as screws and metal in left hand from an injury sustained in an automobile accident.
Fingerprints: Not available
Dentals: Not available
DNA: Pending (sample submitted in 2007)

IMO Rachel Garden is not a match..

UID has a skijump nose and Rachel doesnt she has a pointy tip nose

picture.php

Lisa Borden looks possible but wouldn't it be safe to assume an x-ray was done of the UID that would have revealed any metal screws in her hand like Borden had?

Rachel Garden also looks possible. I have little experience comparing facial features so I'll leave that to others, but I found this article about her that mentions, as did her Doe Network page, that she'd been seen talking to the three men in the dark-colored car. Interestingly,

In the years ahead, all three would have run-ins with the law, and at least one eventually served time for assault and rape.

Could one or more of them have been serving time in Texas at the Ellis unit Jane Doe was trying to visit that Halloween night? It's a fair haul from New Hampshire to Texas...

Here's the article:
http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071116/NEWS/711160415

Hi guys! Sorry for starting this thread and then ditching it, I've been super busy of late! Anyhoo, I can't tell you how happy I am to see so many of you taking an interest in this girl - thank you!!! Now let me go catch up on this thread..........

FYI...just a little factoid about the Ellis Unit for you:

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/drowfacts.htm

Death row was located in the East Building of the Huntsville Unit from 1928 to 1952. From 1952 until 1965, the electric chair was located in a building by the East Wall of the Huntsville Unit.
The men on death row were moved from the Huntsville Unit to the Ellis Unit in 1965. Death row remained at the Ellis Unit until 1999. In 1999, the TDCJ moved death row to the Polunsky Unit.

Unlikely, as one would think this would have been easy to check, but maybe this girl had a daddy or brother or someone on death row that she wanted to see?

One thing I find interesting is that "orange socks" was murdered on October 30, 1979 and was located on October 31, 1979. Henry Lee Lucas confessed to killing this girl. It was later learned that Henry couldn't have murdered "orange socks" because he was in Florida at the time she was killed. I am wondering if indeed Henry Lee Lucas murdered Walker County Jane Doe, perhaps he was "copycatting" the person who was actually responsible for murdering "orange socks" or perhaps Lucas wasn't responsible for Walker County Jane Doe's death either. I find it strange that both girls were murdered so close to Halloween and only 1 year separating when they were killed.
---

Lisa Borden looks possible but wouldn't it be safe to assume an x-ray was done of the UID that would have revealed any metal screws in her hand like Borden had?

Rachel Garden also looks possible. I have little experience comparing facial features so I'll leave that to others, but I found this article about her that mentions, as did her Doe Network page, that she'd been seen talking to the three men in the dark-colored car. Interestingly,

In the years ahead, all three would have run-ins with the law, and at least one eventually served time for assault and rape.

Could one or more of them have been serving time in Texas at the Ellis unit Jane Doe was trying to visit that Halloween night? It's a fair haul from New Hampshire to Texas...

Here's the article:
http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071116/NEWS/711160415

Hmm interestng article

Snipped
The day she disappeared, Rachael was reportedly wearing a two-tone blue ski parka, jeans and a plaid shirt with silver threads. She had on brown lace-up shoes and carried a dark blue tote bag with the word "Things" imprinted on one side. Police believe Rachael left all of her belongings at home, including her dental retainer. She reportedly had a horse she loved and would never have left unattended.

Bold by me
- her dental retainer !!!

Interesting http://www.skcentral.com/print.php?type=N&item_id=742

snipped

Texas Ranger Bryant Wells and WCSO Lt. Charlie Perkins have inherited the case after more than two decades, and both agree the girl's identity is the main objective to solve the cold case murder.

“It got a lot of attention when it was a new case,” Perkins said. “We did an exhumation in 1999 on this girl and had her examined by a forensic anthropologist, as far as better measurements for her age and height.

“We have her dentals, which were actually taken at the time the body was discovered, but we've done updates on her physical characteristics using new technologies which have generated a number of hits.”

Wells said the Internet has allowed details of the case and the unidentified teen to be disseminated nationwide, and every once in a while, cross-referencing will make a match, but so far, never the right one.

“New materials have allowed mitochondrial DNA results we've also put on a database,” Wells said. “The possibility always exists that we'll find out who she is, and technology generally enhances that chance, so we'll keep working.”

As of today, Perkins said there are a total of six hits being investigated, and elimination of a few of those has already become quite certain.

Here's the article:

Hi guys! Sorry for starting this thread and then ditching it, I've been super busy of late! Anyhoo, I can't tell you how happy I am to see so many of you taking an interest in this girl - thank you!!! Now let me go catch up on this thread..........

FYI...just a little factoid about the Ellis Unit for you:

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/drowfacts.htm

Death row was located in the East Building of the Huntsville Unit from 1928 to 1952. From 1952 until 1965, the electric chair was located in a building by the East Wall of the Huntsville Unit.
The men on death row were moved from the Huntsville Unit to the Ellis Unit in 1965. Death row remained at the Ellis Unit until 1999. In 1999, the TDCJ moved death row to the Polunsky Unit.

Unlikely, as one would think this would have been easy to check, but maybe this girl had a daddy or brother or someone on death row that she wanted to see?

IIRC, it is not uncommon to move inmates to facilities across the country if they are a security issue, and escape risk etc...

Anyone think this could be a possible match?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/14dftx.html

Lisa Jane Borden
Missing since 1979 from Big Spring, Howard County, Texas.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: January 15, 1960
Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"; 140 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Scar on left hand, as well as screws and metal in left hand from an injury sustained in an automobile accident.
Fingerprints: Not available
Dentals: Not available
DNA: Pending (sample submitted in 2007)

I think the height bugs me...Walker County Doe was measured at approx 5'1" within hours of her death...

Yes, the height would rule Lisa out if her reported height was correct. Since we do not know from what source Lisa's height and weight came from - it may be suspect. For example, when her missing persons report was filed - if the LE asked family "how tall/how much did she weight?"" response could have been .."Oh, 'bout 5'8" mabbe 140lbs"..?

Problem we all have here is that not all information is posted about UIDs and MPs on the official records - somethings are missed, somethings are just plain wrong. This forces us to look beyond what is recorded. The info on TX Jane Doe is pretty good and since there is a PM photo at least physical facial charateristics can be compared - front and side profiles would have been more helpful of course. Personally, I think Tx Jane Doe was from Texas and not out of State hitchhiker.

IMO Rachel Garden is not a match..

UID has a skijump nose and Rachel doesnt she has a pointy tip nose

picture.php

I thought Rachel Garden looked a lot like the UID, esp the particular nostril shape the UID has. IMO a profile shot of Rachel would be more helpful in identifying the exact shape of the front of her nose..it isn't really that easy to tell with the frontal shot here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare