TX TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 #2 *NAME NOT RELEASED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to a lady at my work this week and she has lived in Huntsville her whole life. Since I'm obsessed, I always find a way to bring up Walker County Jane Doe (and I feel like a freak when I do) to people I know have lived here their whole lives. When I asked her about it, she said she was in high school when it happened. I asked her how much attention it got and if it was "well known" around town back then. She seemed pretty aloof about it and as said it was treated like it was any other news story. She said from what she remembers, it was on the news for only one night and it wasn't til months after WCJD was found that they started showing/hanging up her picture. Given, I know back then it might have taken some time to create the reconstruction picture - but it still seemed odd that it took a few months before it was "buzzing". Mostly because to me, as long as i've been researching this case, something has always seemed off. It had seemed curious and strange how little of information about this case is has been given or available. Who knows, maybe i'm just perpetually suspicious, but I think part of the reason WCJD is such a pet case of mine is because of how something seems off (aside from her tragic and brutal fate).

**Also, I don't know if it's worth mentioning or is valuable to this case but she also said the area WCJD's body was found, it's a known area for people to dump bodies and a few have been found there since**
I wonder when exactly it was that they went down to Aransas Pass? It seems like they thought they could go down there and figure it out quickly. Maybe when that didn't work that is when they decided to publicize it more?
I brought it up to my aunt to see if she knew anything about it and she seemed like she knew of it but nothing more.

I hadn't heard of other bodies being found there.

I wonder when exactly it was that they went down to Aransas Pass? It seems like they thought they could go down there and figure it out quickly. Maybe when that didn't work that is when they decided to publicize it more?
I brought it up to my aunt to see if she knew anything about it and she seemed like she knew of it but nothing more.

Yea I think that LE probably assumed from her appearance (an attractive, well maintained teen) that there was not going to be a huge problem finding her family or id'ing her. once they realized that it was going to be a problem the evidence became much more valuable but at that point it was too late to preserve some of it or track down other key witnesses, the car etc....

WCJD being pretty/beautiful doesn't really matter because the sexual assault and murder was about power and anger not sex.

WCJD being pretty/beautiful doesn't really matter because the sexual assault and murder was about power and anger not sex.
Wasn't it the sheriff that was first saying how pretty she was? The detectives must of thought her being pretty would mean people would know her and be able to tell them who she was like @Jdart14 said. Pretty girls get noticed and all that.
Personally I think it is a little creepy that he looked at this naked brutalized girl and made comments about how pretty she was. He probably didn't mean anything by it but that just struck me as off.

Correct @daisy6441 and The assumption I was making was that she was well taken care of and did not have the appearance of someone that had lived a hard life on the road...or homeless...definitely not for any long period of time. so they probably assumed this girl would be reported missing and would be id'd because someone would be missing her. I don't necessarily agree that this was not a sexually motivated crime though..

I hadn't ever heard of other bodies being found there either and for how much I've combed over this case, I've never thought about if any other bodies were ever dumped there before or after WCJD. The girl who told me that it's a "dump site for bodies" told me that the other body that was found there was a male. She didn't have any other info besides it was a few years after WCJD.

I've asked a few other people that i've known for a while who have lived in Huntsville their whole lives and they seem to go "oh yeah yeah, I remember that. Sad." When I asked more about what they remember as far as what amount attention it got or how the news came off to them (urgent, all over the knews, everyone was talking about it, etc), they shrug and say something along the lines of "just a girl was found dead, nobody knew her" -- I understand that not everyone will be as involved and interested in the case as I/we are, but I never know if their flat responses are because they truly don't care or if it shows just how little this case was publicized back then as important/significant.

Last edited:
I've asked a few other people that i've known for a while who have lived in Huntsville their whole lives and they seem to go "oh yeah yeah, I remember that. Sad." When I asked more about what they remember as far as what amount attention it got or how the news came off to them (urgent, all over the knews, everyone was talking about it, etc), they shrug and say something along the lines of "just a girl was found dead, nobody knew her" -- I understand that not everyone will be as involved and interested in the case as I/we are, but I never know if their flat responses are because they truly don't care or if it shows just how little this case was publicized back then as important/significant.
If someone you know goes missing or is murdered there are people with personal connections to them. They can talk about them and it gives other people a glimpse at who they were. When a person no one can identify is found dead there isn't someone to humanize them. There is also no one to explain what they were doing so they might be written off as a drifter, hitchhiker or runaway.

If someone you know goes missing or is murdered there are people with personal connections to them. They can talk about them and it gives other people a glimpse at who they were. When a person no one can identify is found dead there isn't someone to humanize them. There is also no one to explain what they were doing so they might be written off as a drifter, hitchhiker or runaway.
Our own Carl K. does an incredible job of bringing these Does to life through his renderings....

Don't forget she was beaten and her face was swollen in the pictures. That could distort the proportions. Its made even more intriguing because the sweater she is wearing looks like one of the descriptions of her in a yellow pullover sweater. The shape of the necklace isn't as easy to determine. It could be square or rectangular but it almost looks heart shaped.

<<removed deleted quote>>

Someone mentioned Reet Jurvetson earlier. When comparing her pm photo to ones her family provided, her face appears fuller & rounder than the pm, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
<<removed deleted post>>

Helpful information to have would be. “Who did LE rule out during their investigation. Wish we knew more!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Helpful information to have would be. “Who did LE rule out during their investigation. Wish we knew more!!
You think we could find out? I wonder what the sheriff would be willing to share?

If the police went down there an searched the yearbooks then why didn't they see that? Or maybe they did but they found her and she had simply moved away? Or maybe people thought she moved away?

how well can you really search yearbooks though , peoples pics look so different sometimes

We also don't know exactly which ones they searched.

Also the sketches they were working from were not very accurate. As far as I'm concerned until Carl went to work on it there was not a very believable reconstruction of what she would have looked like. I am guessing they would have the PM pics also....but not sure how well that would assist as we said there was a good bit of swelling and all. Carl I believe actually worked through some yearbooks himself as well. So I hope he has a chance to respond and shed some light on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member