TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you.

I've had in my head that this was the same direction the dogs tracked. But you're correct, I don't think that has been stated anywhere for sure.

Trying to wrap my brain around possible reasons he might have taken the backpack from the car (if this in fact occurred), but then for some reason parted ways with it. Somewhere between 100 and 900 feet down the road. o_O

IMO, there's probably not a reasonable explanation (for the untrained) why JL took his backpack only to discard it 100 feet from the crash site. I think it was just an impulse that he grabbed the pack. What I do know from a family member that works as a helicopter medic is to expect the unexpected from crash survivors in shock or concussed. I've heard of victims gathering their strewn groceries while a loved one is trapped in the vehicle --and no memory having done so. A most common story is that nearly all victims begin removing their clothing (before their body temp stabilizes), and are desperate for water more than anything. Both actions are very dangerous leading to hypothermia and probably why so many accident victims are found in water far from the crash scene. Similarly, injured animals are often found in water. MOO

I'm still not happy.
I agree with you but I think it's one of the cases where the dogs got it right.
Does anybody know where is the report stating 5 different SAR dogs reached the same conclusion?
But even if they had not, even if it was only one good dog that signalled, I have to believe it is relevant.
Actually it is one of the very few facts we have that are not based on speculation or fantasy.
I wish we knew what TES thought when they finished investigating that region? I know what they stated publicly. How seriously did they take the dog's signals?

"Five dogs have led searchers to the pond, according to the family."

Texas college student Jason Landry goes missing on trip home | Miami Herald
Texas college student disappears on his way home for holidays, dad says. ‘No answers’

IMO, there's probably not a reasonable explanation (for the untrained) why JL took his backpack only to discard it 100 feet from the crash site. I think it was just an impulse that he grabbed the pack. What I do know from a family member that works as a helicopter medic is to expect the unexpected from crash survivors in shock or concussed. I've heard of victims gathering their strewn groceries while a loved one is trapped in the vehicle --and no memory having done so. A most common story is that nearly all victims begin removing their clothing (before their body temp stabilizes), and are desperate for water more than anything. Both actions are very dangerous leading to hypothermia and probably why so many accident victims are found in water far from the crash scene. Similarly, injured animals are often found in water. MOO

Thank you for that. Especially regarding why so many victims are found near/in water. Though I have seen it's common I didn't realize why.

Let’s not forget what Caldwell County Sheriff’s office said. They expected that he survived the crash with little or no injury. Following is BBM.

The Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office continues the search for 21 year old, Jason Landry, who is considered missing. Jason was believed to have been involved in a single vehicle collision on Dec. 13th, 2020 in the area of the 2300 blk of Salt Flat Road. Investigation of that accident scene leads authorities to believe that the operator was able to walk away from the collision with little or no injury. Jason’s cell phone and some personal property were left in the vehicle. Approximately 900 feet to the south of the accident scene, a few articles of clothing and personal effects were discovered in the roadway. Texas Search and Rescue TEXSAR conducted an extensive search in which 3,900+ acres were searched by foot, horse, and canines with another 16,900+ acres by air, using drones, fixed wing and helicopters. The family and friends of Jason have not seen or heard from him since before the accident on Dec. 13th and his whereabouts are currently unknown. The updated missing person flyer includes the most recent picture of Jason, taken the same weekend he went missing. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact Detective Ferry with the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office, 512-398-6777 Ext. 4516 or by email: Jeff.Ferry@co.caldwell.tx.us
Caldwell County Sheriff's Office

Let’s not forget what Caldwell County Sheriff’s office said. They expected that he survived the crash with little or no injury. Following is BBM.

The Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office continues the search for 21 year old, Jason Landry, who is considered missing. Jason was believed to have been involved in a single vehicle collision on Dec. 13th, 2020 in the area of the 2300 blk of Salt Flat Road. Investigation of that accident scene leads authorities to believe that the operator was able to walk away from the collision with little or no injury. Jason’s cell phone and some personal property were left in the vehicle. Approximately 900 feet to the south of the accident scene, a few articles of clothing and personal effects were discovered in the roadway. Texas Search and Rescue TEXSAR conducted an extensive search in which 3,900+ acres were searched by foot, horse, and canines with another 16,900+ acres by air, using drones, fixed wing and helicopters. The family and friends of Jason have not seen or heard from him since before the accident on Dec. 13th and his whereabouts are currently unknown. The updated missing person flyer includes the most recent picture of Jason, taken the same weekend he went missing. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact Detective Ferry with the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office, 512-398-6777 Ext. 4516 or by email: Jeff.Ferry@co.caldwell.tx.us
Caldwell County Sheriff's Office

I don't read anything in the CCSO statement that doesn't mean that Jason did not suffer a concussion or he wasn't disoriented after the crash. Visually and little blood inside the vehicle essentially shows he wasn't crushed or trapped inside -- no serious internal injuries likely.

I believe he walked away from the vehicle and still could have succumbed to hypothermia or vomiting/asphyxiation.

We don't know JL's conditions before his car had impact with the trees. We only know that he was on a dark road, 5 miles opposite the direction of HI-10 interchnge. MOO

Last edited:
I noticed he worked for Jimmy John’s on Facebook in San Marcos, however the 2 Jimmy John’s in San Marcos recently and out of no where decided to permanently close and only notified most by leaving a note on the door. This occurred just this past year, and if the speculation is that he was a lost soul in life, this only adds to that stress. JMO

The Jimmy John’s on Wonderworld Dr. in San Marcos is open. I just ordered from them yesterday.

Thanks, I saw it too. Cannot find it now.
Found this early report though
DPS officials say multiple agencies have assisted in the search including Texas Search and Rescue, Department of Emergency Management, Luling PD, Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office, the Department of Parks and Wildfire, Weimer PD and a couple of officers from Texas State.

Kent says all this help and prayers from family and strangers is keeping his family's spirits going.

“He had a great big heart, he loved people, he loved his friends,” said Kent. "Just come home son, just come home."

That's a helluva team of searchers!
article dated December 16 Father of missing Texas State student continues searching for answers

I hate seeing past tense used, though I realize people speak spontaneously in most cases. I imagine in their hearts, the family fears the worst. I know I would, regardless of hopes.

I know we’ve all discussed it a lot on this thread, lol, but just saying that as a Texan I’ve never heard LE refer to weed as a narcotic. Maybe they did in this case, but I would be really surprised.

I am also a native Texan (63 yrs old), and I grew up in a LE family (father, ex military police, post-retirement college cop, then deputy sheriff; brother, deputy sheriff, then later county jail head administrator). Both always referred to any illegal drug as "narcotics," as did their peers, regardless of the type. I'm not sure if this is true for LE in other states, but it has been and probably still is a tradition among the police in Texas.

I am also a native Texan (63 yrs old), and I grew up in a LE family (father, ex military police, post-retirement college cop, then deputy sheriff; brother, deputy sheriff, then later county jail head administrator). Both always referred to any illegal drug as "narcotics," as did their peers, regardless of the type. I'm not sure if this is true for LE in other states, but it has been and probably still is a tradition among the police in Texas.
Well your family is definitely more qualified than I am to know about these things! Haha. That’s interesting. I believe it—I just haven’t heard weed called a narcotic in my non-LE world. DEA says all drugs used to be called narcotics, but now narcotic refers to opioids. So who knows what they meant here.

Given the context of how the term came to use here, I believe you (and your family) are correct. The term "narcotics" appeared on the TX DPS field investigation report -- probably written within hours of surveying and/or inventorying the site and probably prior to any forensic results.

I think LE is probably trained to use the term "narcotics" in their field reports for any suspected illegal drug they find versus trying to accurately identify exactly what was recovered at the scene. And it's still illegal to possess or use marijuana -- under Texas law, and has been since 1931!

CBD, hemp, medical marijuana? Here's what you need to know about Texas' changing pot laws.

I've seen the pictures of it but I'm curious how operable the car was after the wreck. Specifically if the interior light would come on when the door opened. Has this been seen anywhere? I haven't found anything saying one way or another.
There is no way to know from looking at the images. In any accident the car's battery could be damaged or dislodged.

Well your family is definitely more qualified than I am to know about these things! Haha. That’s interesting. I believe it—I just haven’t heard weed called a narcotic in my non-LE world. DEA says all drugs used to be called narcotics, but now narcotic refers to opioids. So who knows what they meant here.
In the State of Texas, marijuana is still illegal and classified as narcotic unless it fails to meet THC thresholds. The general term used means it was not field tested but presumed to be illegal and hence it would be either a small amount or marijuana that needed to be lab tested such as wax, etc.

Given the context of how the term came to use here, I believe you (and your family) are correct. The term "narcotics" appeared on the TX DPS field investigation report -- probably written within hours of surveying and/or inventorying the site and probably prior to any forensic results.

I think LE is probably trained to use the term "narcotics" in their field reports for any suspected illegal drug they find versus trying to accurately identify exactly what was recovered at the scene. And it's still illegal to possess or use marijuana -- under Texas law, and has been since 1931!

CBD, hemp, medical marijuana? Here's what you need to know about Texas' changing pot laws.
You are correct & furthermore, there are accurate field tests for heroin, coke, meth, etc. and you can bet they would have tested it and listed it as such.

Another Texas male missing,car found, phone inside. Body found waiting for positive ID ☹️

Body found amid search for missing Liberty Co. 22-year-old

There you go -- another accident survivor found near water by a fisherman in Liberty County. I hope this is indeed NAH who was last seen walking away after a car crash. #RIP.

Maybe it’s just me but I find it strange that they are no longer searching for JL. Do they know something we don’t? Couldn’t he be just outside the search area like NH seems to have been if that’s indeed his body which it probably is. If this were my loved one I’d want every inch searched around there twice just to make sure unless I really thought he wasn’t around there. This is so baffling to me. What’s everyone’s read and opinion on this? Am I missing something? I can definitely understand Tim and Equs pulling out but there are no searches now? I just don’t understand.

Maybe it’s just me but I find it strange that they are no longer searching for JL. Do they know something we don’t? Couldn’t he be just outside the search area like NH seems to have been if that’s indeed his body which it probably is. If this were my loved one I’d want every inch searched around there twice just to make sure unless I really thought he wasn’t around there. This is so baffling to me. What’s everyone’s read and opinion on this? Am I missing something? I can definitely understand Tim and Equs pulling out but there are no searches now? I just don’t understand.
They absolutely are still searching.
It was reported last week.
The search is continuing but only experienced SAR people are allowed to participate which is often the case,

IMO, unless new information/evidence comes in on where to search, LE most likely won't have any upcoming official searches. Remember, TES works at the request of LE.

The initial quick and heavy boots on the ground is looking for, hopefully, a person who is alive. As the days go by, probability of survival diminishes. Then they switch from a rescue to a body recovery, based on a professional assessment and information known to them.

For a family of a missing loved one, this is a terrible and helpless position to be in. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member