TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he'd need to go that far down that road (5 miles) just to indulge. JMO
Given that MJ is illegal in TX, I could see JL headed the short distance to the beginning of SFR, and not the crash site. Maybe even the cemetery.

I also think he was out of his mind when he ended up at the crash site -- clearly misdirected at that moment.

MOO

Texas Marijuana Laws

Here's the weird thing to me in regards to when his phone ended up where it did... he doesn't drive without the aid of Waze (would drive it into a wall if Waze directed him to per his father)... yet that car was obviously going in a wrong direction (dark, no houses, gravel road, clearly not the place to be). If it lodged between the seats at the time of the accident... why did a digitally addicted person not have a digital footprint for 67 minutes? Why did he not turn Waze back on after he SnapChatted at the intersection? He couldn't find his way out of a box without it! lol Something is just not right here.
Sometimes you don't realize you've turned an app off when you switch to using another one. I don't use waze so I'm not sure how it interacts with other apps, but I've had that problem with navigation apps before. Usually they keep running in the background and issuing voice directions when you switch to use another app, but occasionally they close instead.

It sounds like Waze shutdown when he used snapchat. Perhaps that wasn't intentional and he thought waze was still running. If the app was running, then silence would mean he was on the right road. So he continued straight because it never told him to turn and just kept going because, as his father said, he would follow Waze's directions into a brick wall.

It does seem like he should have realized he'd missed his turn long before he got to the accident site, but perhaps he was stoned or distracted or something.

I think the phone became out of reach and lost to JL during the accident. I also think JL was kicking back on the dark road to indulge just before getting on HI-10, and did not use his phone during those 67 mins in question -- possibly because of lack of signal. I suspect we will one day learn that there's evidence that JL took a smoke break-- info that was not otherwise released to MSM.

MOO
I agree with the idea that the phone became lodged between the seats as a result of the accident, but I question the speculated activity during those 67 minutes. Those 67 minutes, from my understanding, reflect the time of the last digital footprint at or near the intersection to the time the accident was discovered...not the actual time of the accident.

Based on this, JL could have wrecked immediately after leaving the intersection and the time it would have taken him to drive the approx. 5 miles up SFR. This would support the idea of why he wasn't using the phone (dislodged from the accident impact) and given him more time to walk / leave the scene of the accident before it was discovered by the volunteer firefighter.

Sometimes you don't realize you've turned an app off when you switch to using another one. I don't use waze so I'm not sure how it interacts with other apps, but I've had that problem with navigation apps before. Usually they keep running in the background and issuing voice directions when you switch to use another app, but occasionally they close instead.

It sounds like Waze shutdown when he used snapchat. Perhaps that wasn't intentional and he thought waze was still running. If the app was running, then silence would mean he was on the right road. So he continued straight because it never told him to turn and just kept going because, as his father said, he would follow Waze's directions into a brick wall.

It does seem like he should have realized he'd missed his turn long before he got to the accident site, but perhaps he was stoned or distracted or something.

100% what I think happened with Waze shutting down.

JL's reliance on Waze is not unusual. A 23 year old family member of mine is EXACTLY the same. He depends on Waze for every trip, and trusts it no matter what road it says to go down. From what I've observed, their generation grew up riding in the backseat with their attention on devices instead of out the window. When they hit driving age, most have no clue how to get to destinations they've been to 50 times, much less a new place.

Edited to correct spelling error o_O

Last edited:
I agree with the idea that the phone became lodged between the seats as a result of the accident, but I question the speculated activity during those 67 minutes. Those 67 minutes, from my understanding, reflect the time of the last digital footprint at or near the intersection to the time the accident was discovered...not the actual time of the accident.

Based on this, JL could have wrecked immediately after leaving the intersection and the time it would have taken him to drive the approx. 5 miles up SFR. This would support the idea of why he wasn't using the phone (dislodged from the accident impact) and given him more time to walk / leave the scene of the accident before it was discovered by the volunteer firefighter.

BBM. That is my understanding as well. BTW... Google maps says it's an 13 minute car ride and 4.9 miles to be exact.

True -- however I believe LE seeking public help because they took into account the alleged time of the wreck, and they are truly trying to "flesh out" the 67 min window.

Jason Landry search: More details released in ongoing search for Texas State student

Investigators are now looking to flesh out what happened in the approximate 67-minute window between his cell phone data stopping and the discovery of the crash. The sheriff’s office said his phone had signal and was on, so investigators are still trying to figure out why it appears unused since the Magnolia Avenue intersection.

Investigators are also still waiting on some search warrants from social media and tech companies to be returned, CCSO said.

This is a real possibility I hadn't thought of and would explain no digital footprint. If he met someone at the park and they decided to take a drive to smoke some weed, they would be talking while driving and no reason to be on his phone. I couldn't envision a scenario that involved another person but meeting at the park makes sense.
I doubt the accident was intentional. The other person had a phone and called for help explaining why his scent stopped in the road. Maybe he overdosed, met with foul play, or was kidnapped by a cult. MOO
Or the other person lured him there, never had good intentions from the start, never called for help and staged the whole scene. Brick on gas pedal wreck.

Based on this, JL could have wrecked immediately after leaving the intersection and the time it would have taken him to drive the approx. 5 miles up SFR. This would support the idea of why he wasn't using the phone (dislodged from the accident impact) and given him more time to walk / leave the scene of the accident before it was discovered by the volunteer firefighter
^^rsbm

Reportedly, another passerby provided that he passed the area about 30-45 mins before the firefighter found the abandoned crash scene, and there was no sign of the wreck at that time. LE has a better idea of the time of the accident.

^^rsbm

Reportedly, another passerby provided that he passed the area about 30-45 mins before the firefighter found the abandoned crash scene, and there was no sign of the wreck at that time. LE has a better idea of the time of the accident.

Until we learned that the headlights were left on, I had questioned if the oil worker had just missed seeing the car. Now, I'm wondering if their time estimate of when they had traveled down the road could possibly have been off.

100% what I think happened with Waze shutting down.

JL's reliance on Waze is not unusual. A 23 year old family member of mine is EXACTLY the same. He depends on Waze for every trip, and trusts it no matter what road it says to go down. From what I've observed, their generation grew up riding in the backseat with their attention on devices instead of out the window. When they hit driving age, most have no clue how to get to destinations they've been to 50 times, much less a new place.

Edited to correct spelling error o_O

OT sometimes I wonder what would happen if , worldwide, wireless went down for say a year. Can anyone under 30 read a map? Or perform other basic chores? Just a thought I had, never having heard of WAZ or used any sat nav tool.

Last edited:
Until we learned that the headlights were left on, I had questioned if the oil worker had just missed seeing the car. Now, I'm wondering if their time estimate of when they had traveled down the road could possibly have been off.
IMO, there's really not that much time for error. Reportedly, the first observer was a worker leaving his shift on a road that he drives multiple times per week. Second, LE has the actual times when JL's vehicle was at the intersection and when located by the firefighter.

Do we know if he drove from college to home often? If so, then I doubt he needed Waze to know to turn at that intersection to get home. But let’s just assume he misses the turn, it just seems weird it would take 5 miles to realize he’s on the wrong road. There were probably a number of opportunities to pull into a driveway and turn around and head back to a known intersection. And if his phone was dropped into a place he couldn’t access in his car, then even more reason to safely turn around, head back to civilization and find the phone at the gas station or somewhere with lights. MOO This is so frustrating...I have a 21 year old gamer college kid who brings home gaming consoles in a backpack...and I can’t imagine how Jason’s family feels :( please let Jason be found soon

Do we know if he drove from college to home often? If so, then I doubt he needed Waze to know to turn at that intersection to get home. But let’s just assume he misses the turn, it just seems weird it would take 5 miles to realize he’s on the wrong road. There were probably a number of opportunities to pull into a driveway and turn around and head back to a known intersection. And if his phone was dropped into a place he couldn’t access in his car, then even more reason to safely turn around, head back to civilization and find the phone at the gas station or somewhere with lights. MOO This is so frustrating...I have a 21 year old gamer college kid who brings home gaming consoles in a backpack...and I can’t imagine how Jason’s family feels :( please let Jason be found soon

I've been listening to the long interview and taking notes. I haven't finished yet. *hangs my head in shame* Here is what I have in my notes how he responded in answer to your question (keep in mind these are my notes, to myself, that I'm sharing with others, since you asked a question I had taken a note on. I encourage you to listen to the video. It's enlightening):

· He had just been home ~3 wks prior Thanksgiving, and ‘maybe 2 other times’

Comments to myself that I'll share here - (enough to know you shouldn’t be going straight and onto a gravel road at an obvious intersection). Never at nighttime which raises another question I’ve brought up before…. why was he traveling home, in the middle of the night, and DIDN’T tell his parents he was on his way? Plus Kent said he was waiting for his sister to get there first (which hadn’t happened yet). I say home was not his destination that evening.

I agree he (if he was driving) had multiple opportunities to turn around and head back to town where there were lights.

About missing the turn... Again, these are my notes that I took for myself that I'm sharing here.

40:35 – Kent saying this is Jason’s first semester, yada yada, like he’s justifying why he might have missed his turn due to not being familiar with the route. That just doesn’t make sense to me. To me, along with a prior statement that he’d drive into a brick wall if Waze told him to, and the fact he shut it off to Snapchat with someone at/near the park, and never turned Waze back on for directions, even when it was OBVIOUS he was likely on the wrong road when he hit gravel… this doesn’t jive with me.

Again, I encourage you to listen to the interview yourself and make your OWN determinations.

Thinking tonight about Jason and losing hope that he will be found. :( Waiting for answers on the possible laced weed.

Here’s the thing for me. Jason could have been trippin’ balls or he could have been sober as a judge. How will that lead LE in a particular direction to locating him if he is deceased?

I suppose if it’s drug-oriented, there could be foul play and that will lead them to someone who supplied, or worse yet, purposely drugged him.

I am trying to think of ways the knowledge could help to locate him if he’s still alive. I guess I want to hold on to that small bit of hope just a little longer.

Any ideas?

Thinking tonight about Jason and losing hope that he will be found. :( Waiting for answers on the possible laced weed.

Here’s the thing for me. Jason could have been trippin’ balls or he could have been sober as a judge. How will that lead LE in a particular direction to locating him if he is deceased?

I suppose if it’s drug-oriented, there could be foul play and that will lead them to someone who supplied, or worse yet, purposely drugged him.

I am trying to think of ways the knowledge could help to locate him if he’s still alive. I guess I want to hold on to that small bit of hope just a little longer.

Any ideas?
I am concerned that even if that weed is tested how do they prove that it was actually Jason's? Technically, IF the wreck was foul play and Jason was not in the vehicle at the time of the crash anyone could have staged the scene and placed the drugs. How would they know that he actually ingested laced weed? I guess we could assume that to be true-that he ingested-if it comes back laced. Maybe that means they need to expand their search and find the dealer to determine if foul play or a problem with the drug led to his demise or the drug was a lure of some sort.

Maybe he pulled over to get out of the main town and smoke. Sometimes, you look for "the perfect spot" and it takes a while and you keep driving and looking. It was SUCH a creepy road (to me), and I could see myself saying, "nope, nope, nope" to any driveways or nooks and crannies. This might explain why he drove so far down SFR. Or, conversely, maybe he found a spot right away, smoked (not sure how long someone would sit and smoke before driving again, but this could explain what he was doing in the 67 minutes), and then became confused due to whatever had possibly been laced into the joint. If he found himself on a gravel road with no Waze, no streetlights (I don't think), and high as a kite, he might have gotten turned around and continued down SFR several more miles before turning around and crashing. I can't remember which direction he seemed to be going when he crashed. Just trying to explain why he was so far from the intersection.

It still blows my mind that in this day and age, no one seemed to have CCTV that picked up on anything along the five miles that he drove! It just takes one clip of one vehicle, sometimes, for cops to be able to narrow down who might have gone down the road soon after Jason did. Remember how they caught Brendt Christensen by using the make and model of his car on video (he killed the Chinese student, Yingying Zhang).

Last edited:
I took it to mean his that he stopped using his phone (personal interaction). I Googled "digital footprint" (because I didn't know what it was, I'm not a cellphone user) and found the same definition said a variety of ways:

Simply put, a digital footprint is the record or trail left by the things you do online. Your social media activity, the info on your personal website, your browsing history, your online subscriptions, any photo galleries and videos you’ve uploaded — essentially, anything on the Internet with your name on it.

Just bringing part of the press release forward to show he no longer had Waze on. He had turned it off to use Snapchat (BBM):
  • 11:24 p.m. – Enters the City of Luling on Highway 80, goes through the intersection of Hackberry Street (Highway 80 becomes Austin Street here)
Landry then stops using the Waze app and opens Snapchat. He continued on Austin Street to the intersection with U.S. Highway 183 or Magnolia Avenue, CCSO said. It’s believed he went through the intersection and continued on East Austin Street. It’s at this intersection that Landry’s digital footprint stops.

Due to the above, I feel whatever happened, started at Blanche Square park. It's the intersection his footprint stops for one. For two, he can't pull out from a parking spot without the aid or Waze or he's lost (my way of saying what his dad jokingly says "he'd drive into a brick wall if Waze told him to"), IOW... he was highly dependent on Waze. Yet his car (note I don't say "he drives") ends up 5 miles down a dark gravel road that had multiple ways to turn around and head back to the lights of town had he simply not been able to retrieve his phone. Going further and further into the heart of Texas, into an oil field area and not many inhabited houses just does not make sense if HE was doing the driving.

I think his end destination was Blanche Square park which is why he turns off his lifeline, Waze, and turns on Snapchat, never to turn Waze back on. More notably, never to do anything online again. IMHO he Snapped with whomever he drove there to meet as per the plan and then either something that had been planned happened, and we just don't know what that plan was (best case scenario as that means he's still alive), or something unplanned happened. They then continued down the street that the car was pointing in (Spruce) and continued onto Salt Flat Rd and purposely spun the car out. It could have been their footprint that the dogs followed and it 'abruptly disappears' when they get into their accomplices car.

Why? No clue, but I don't have to know why something had to happen in order for it to have happened. Sometimes you just never end up knowing the why or the how.

So when LE is talking about more searches... I hope that includes a video search of cameras in the Blanche Square park area. Hopefully there is one pointing to the park. It would be a great place for a cam if they don't have one there. I'm not convinced he's down Salt Flat Rd.
This makes a LOT of sense if he was supposed to meet someone at the park (a common meeting place for people looking to do certain things) then follow them somewhere. If this was secretive activity, I could see someone saying, "look for the blue ____" and follow me to somewhere more private." This person could have said, I know a road with no CCTVs (which seems to be true since none have picked up on his car!), and taken him to SFR. Not sure of the logistics after that point in terms of the vehicles, either! This case is SO CRAZY that anything is going to sound crazy, too. None of the usual scenarios seem to fit, and there seems to be a perfect storm of missing information and odd details here. I mean, the poor guy got naked in winter then seemed to disappear into thin air!

I keep going back to the key detail that his father awkwardly stumbled over and didn't explain satisfactorily in the most recent interview--the fact that Jason was driving in the middle of the night and he didn't tell his parents he was coming home. In this day and age, with texting, computers, email, instant messaging and cell phones, there is no reason that Jason couldn't have spent 10 seconds texting his family to say, "I'm heading home tonight!" If he had been the kind of guy to do "surprise visits," his father would have mentioned that right off the bat--he didn't. Also, we're in a pandemic--it's not like Jason had a lot going on socially that could have distracted him. I remember stopping at payphones on my way home from college back in the 1980s to check in with my family. It was a pain in the butt, it was sometimes creepy if it was nighttime at a gas station, but I did it. Is this generation so scattered and lazy that we can't expect them to do this simple thing? I don't think so. Their phones are an extension of their body. To me, this is the huge elephant in the room, and if he wasn't headed home, that changes this entire case.

Last edited:
Another possibility....

Because he had his fish, I think we can safely conclude he was going somewhere purposeful.... perhaps ultimately home, perhaps somewhere else....

What if he was arranging to meet someone? Used Waze to get to a specific location, namely near that last intersection. Once there, he disconnected Waze, no longer needing it, opened snapchat to communicate with whomever he was meeting, and waited. Then another car arrived and he followed that car to somewhere, for much of 67 minutes....

And then he followed that car onto, along or further on Salt.... and driving, either reached for his lost phone or encountered something like deer and swerved, over-corrected, slid off the road, hitting the tree....

The second driver stops.... convinces him to leave absolutely everything behind. He gets in their car and they drive away......

"Somebody knows something."

It explains why no one would come forward, claiming to be the second half of Jason's last snapchat conversation.

It explains the crash, an unintended accident.

It explains snapchat and waze.

It explains all his things, left behind.

If he followed someone out there, they may have known the area. If Jason did leave a scent trail to the abandoned house and pond, maybe he didn't walk that path alone. A tracker dog IMO wouldn't be able to say, "Whelp! Hold the phone! Yes, Jason went this way but he wasn't alone."

What if the pond was ceremonial? Think baptism. You might undress and remove your watch for that.

While I don't think any of this is altogether likely, it does leave a path open for Jason to be alive..... and explains why he wasn't found during the searches and why no one has come forward to supply this missing information...

It makes sense that his parents would assume he must've been on his way home. Heavens, where else would he be going, late at night, packed up from school with his beta fish in tow?

But is it possible Jason found a new religion?

Could he be safe somewhere, insulated from the news, having simply walked away from his old life?

I pray for answers, for LE, for his parents, so that whatever happened, Jason can be found....

JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members