TX TX - Julie Moseley, 9, Mary Trlica, 17, Lisa Wilson, 14, Fort Worth, 23 Dec 1974 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So,  prevailing theories regarding motive for the girls' disappearance include: money (involves the possibility of drugs and/or trafficking), jealosy, and stranger abduction (sorry, couldn't bring myself to include aliens). Is this pretty accurate?
No, it isn't. There are not multiple prevailing theories. There is one prevailing theory: jealousy (re. Rachel) followed by disposal of witnesses (Renee and Julie). Other theories have been floated, but they are not close to being on par with the prevailing theory.

I was wondering the other day about all that RA has said and done, which is a lot. He's been all over the place but then it occured to me as far as I know he has only stated one thing as a fact regarding this case and I do not dismiss it based on his age at the time like some have. I don't know if he still stands by the statement he made about him and his mother going to the mall on the night of the 23rd but at one time he was adamant about it. His mother denied it and claims it was the next day.
I don't know but for some reason I tend to believe RA and if we assume for a minute that he's right about this then my very next question is,

Did they go in that post office?
I wonder how long those stores were open on 23rd in 1974. Till midnight? Or they kept it open cause of the family search?
I'm sure I saw reading about RA remembering assisting his mother with calling stores to ask for the girls, and remembering going through the mall and asking. One certainly doesn't exclude another and could be done even if it closed down relatively early, but... I don't know.

He was old enough to remember things well. It'd be completely understandable for a person at this age to not remember, but we're not talking about 2yo child who suddenly claims to have vivid memory of the day, decades later.

Can someone tell me about the fridge? I haven’t been able to find anything in the threads about it. Granted, I haven’t been here in a long time.

I was looking more at the letter. It does seem possible that the last sentence could have been written by someone else, the more I compare words and letters to each other.

Did Rachel and Debra ever go to Houston together???

Also… the shop. Is that building still there? I’m not local.

No, it isn't. There are not multiple prevailing theories. There is one prevailing theory: jealousy (re. Rachel) followed by disposal of witnesses (Renee and Julie). Other theories have been floated, but they are not close to being on par with the prevailing theory.
But that prevailing theory is, as far as I understand based on assumption that:
- DA and TT were still into each other, supported by the fact that they had relationship before TT married Rachel,
- CJG was with the girls, despite of his best friend, Renee's bf denying that he was with them when they left to the Army Navy - so relying on the statement from the record store employee, who thought that he may saw Rachel and Julie in distance, possibly being in company of some guy,
- DA lied about her whereabouts, TT lied, FA lied, and TM was also lying and CJG was also lying, so pretty much nobody's credible but record store clerk,
- TT was, at the age of 21 capable of triple murder of minors, disposing of their bodies, getting alibi and acting like nothing happened afterwards.

Not saying that it couldn't happen. But I'm either consistently failing to see how that adds up (and I'd be seriously grateful for pointing out what makes this theory look most likely), or - IMO - the reason why this is prevailing theory is that most people wondering what could happen are fed with the scenario where it is, indeed, the most likely.
So... full confidence in accuracy of record store sighting, and assumption that all those closest to the case are either lying or mistaken?

Last edited:
- DA and TT were still into each other, supported by the fact that they had relationship before TT married Rachel,
- CJG was with the girls, despite of his best friend, Renee's bf denying that he was with them when they left to the Army Navy - so relying on the statement from the record store employee, who thought that he may saw Rachel and Julie in distance, possibly being in company of some guy,
- DA lied about her whereabouts, TT lied, FA lied, and TM was also lying and CJG was also lying, so pretty much nobody's credible but record store clerk,
- TT was, at the age of 21 capable of triple murder of minors, disposing of their bodies, getting alibi and acting like nothing happened afterwards.

Not saying that it couldn't happen. But I'm either consistently failing to see how that adds up (and I'd be seriously grateful for pointing out what makes this theory look most likely), or - IMO - the reason why this is prevailing theory is that most people wondering what could happen are fed with the scenario where it is, indeed, the most likely.
So... full confidence in accuracy of record store sighting, and assumption that all those closest to the case are either lying or mistaken?
For me the only assumption that is relevant is that TT thought that Rachel was meeting up with CJG that morning. IMO, this is what set events in motion.

Everything else is to a certain extent 'white noise'.

Can someone tell me about the fridge? I haven’t been able to find anything in the threads about it. Granted, I haven’t been here in a long time.

I was looking more at the letter. It does seem possible that the last sentence could have been written by someone else, the more I compare words and letters to each other.

Did Rachel and Debra ever go to Houston together???

Also… the shop. Is that building still there? I’m not local.
The "fridge" story I was referring to came from Texas True Crime- Gone Cold Podcast, Fort Worth Missing Trio Part 2: The Letter. It mentions folks claiming to have seen part of the letter on the fridge at (I believe) the house on Minot. When I made the comment a few posts back about the letter, what I meant was, that I believe part of it was written at one time ( not before running away, or going on vacation) by someone (namely perp or accomplice)who was unable to "place" it where desired because they'd be seen or caught doing so. Instead, they "edited" it, to fit the circumstances, then mailed it discreetly while all eyes were on the car (so to speak). Is this plausible?

I can accept that there may have been some goings-on between Rachel and another guy that would've provoked jealous anger (although TT has been accused of some pretty inappropriate things,also...), but mad enough to killthree girls; one of them a nine year-old? I don't know the guy, but I'm having trouble swallowing that. And then for him to go on, like nothing ever happened...
I can see how an accomplice might be afraid of him, if he's really capable of that. But, still...

The "fridge" story I was referring to came from Texas True Crime- Gone Cold Podcast, Fort Worth Missing Trio Part 2: The Letter. It mentions folks claiming to have seen part of the letter on the fridge at (I believe) the house on Minot. When I made the comment a few posts back about the letter, what I meant was, that I believe part of it was written at one time ( not before running away, or going on vacation) by someone (namely perp or accomplice)who was unable to "place" it where desired because they'd be seen or caught doing so. Instead, they "edited" it, to fit the circumstances, then mailed it discreetly while all eyes were on the car (so to speak). Is this plausible?
I dont know, the letter is so short, why would it need to be written in several passages at different times? I could see the point if the letter started as a genuine one from Rachel in different circumstances, that the perp would take this and then try to 'complete' it to pass it off as a genuine post-abduction communication from her. But this seemd quite absurd...

Is it possible that Rachel was killed (accidently or otherwise), and the other two sold and/or taken elsewhere-- someplace they'd not easily come back from? Just a thought. I'm having a hard time buying the idea that they all three were killed and buried that afternoon, and that was it. Something about that scenario just doesn't work for me.

Funnily enough I've just listened to this part of the podcast today. The way I understood it was some friends said they thought they had seen the note with most of the words on but not the bit about the car and not signed, and they had assumed that DA had written it before the trio went missing, as she was intending to take off to Houston with her friend over Christmas.
It made sense of the wording of the note but then raises the question of who in the house changed the wording and why.

Im still not sure if that letter was ever in that envelope, but I do think it could have been a pre existing note that was altered. One thing I think though about someone actually mailing it to the house ( rather than the envelope being from something else) is that whoever mailed it couldn't be sure it wouldn't get delayed till after the Christmas. So if they had gone to the trouble of altering the note, why take the chance of mailing it when they could just say it had arrived that way - which is what originally happened, if remember rightly, until police asked to see the envelope it arrived in.

You're failing to see quite a bit.

The prevailing theory has nothing to do with TT and DA being into one another, so I'm not sure where you're getting that.

You are also misstating facts. We don't have CJG's statement; so far as the general public knows he did not deny being at the mall with the girls. Whether he was with them when they left the army-navy store is irrelevant because the girls could have picked him up after that or met him at the mall.

I believe that DA claimed to be at the house on Minot—sleeping late, as I recall—so she didn't necessarily lie about her whereabouts. She may have lied about other things.

It isn't known whether FA lied, but I suspect that she did.

No one has ever accused TM of lying.

It seems like you are trying to diminish the prevailing theory by completely misstating many of its elements and then attacking those misstated elements. I think they call that a straw-man argument.

The prevailing theory has nothing to do with TT and DA being into one another, so I'm not sure where you're getting that.
It is pretty popular in the comments about the case. Not here and not recently, but as far as there is any extended context delivered as to why the person thinks that's the most likely theory, it tends to go back to that. Usually there is nothing and it's implied that it's obvious why.
I believe that DA claimed to be at the house on Minot—sleeping late, as I recall—so she didn't necessarily lie about her whereabouts. She may have lied about other things.
I was referring to her claim that CA didn't gave TT any rides cause he was taking cancer treatment at home.
It isn't known whether FA lied, but I suspect that she did.
VI mentioned here that she was telling different stories over the years. Claims by press also varied a bit but that could be the matter of misreporting. Considering that she really was at the workshop, with TT whole day isn't supporting theory with TT being responsible.
No one has ever accused TM of lying.
Not true, unless theorising that he may "have something to do with it" or be responsible for the girls disappearance doesn't count as implying that he lied.
You're probably right as far as the technicalities go, I wrongly assumed that he was one of VI here and explained CJG situation here, it could be on the website that's not allowed to quote here.
It seems like you are trying to diminish the prevailing theory by completely misstating many of its elements and then attacking those misstated elements. I think they call that a straw-man argument.
I wasn't attacking any misstated elements.
I listed those:
Not as facts, but as explanation of what I got out of the reasoning behind theory with TT being the perp. And that's why I said "as far as I understand" and not "the facts are" or "those who find the theory with TT being responsible are saying the following things".
And that's because I really don't understand what makes it the most popular theory - if not misstated facts.
I respect your opinion on the subject, I'd like to understand it better, but those are still two different things to me:
1. Specific person's theory/opinion and reasons what made them come to those conclusions (so for example yours)
and
2. Majority of those concerned with the case coming to same conclusion and seeing it as the most likely theory, despite of various sources telling quite different stories about the case.
I think they call that a straw-man argument.
Straw-man argument does not include straw-argument maker to state their confusion about what the arguments actually are. Maybe I shouldn't made those guesses so bluntly, but you said that it is the prevailing theory.
And I agree that it is, but as I said: I don't understand why.
Apparently we disagree on the part with popularity of the theorised relationship between TT and DA.

I can understand your theory and your reasoning.
But still, what's really in there that makes majority of people come to same conclusion.
The fact that girls could pick CJG or someone else while doing their trip to the mall cause if they did, TT could learn about this, could get jealous, could feel furious, could act on it, could go to far with it and could find himself in perfect circumstances that allowed him to rid of the whitnesses.
It's okay as one person's theory. But to make sense as majority's theory isn't that a bit too much of theoretically possible events following itself?
And I'm not saying it's not a valid theory, but I fail to see how majority of people could come to same conclusion - apart from relying on stories with specific narrative - cause either:
a) I'm (as I mentioned above) completely unable to see the reasons why,
b) it is a main theory cause majority of those finding it the most accurate relied on opinions about the story, not on the story to came up with their theories.

VI stated many times, here, that all certaintity about girls whereabouts and actions ends with them leaving Army Navy Store.
There were tree possible sightings mentioned publicly:
- one reported years after the disappearance,
- one allegedly provided by an older woman who was never interviewed about it or identified, reported by the clerk from one of the stores,
- one from record store clerk who claimed that the girls may be in company of a guy, with no further details provided.
Average person is likely aware that "it's usually the spouse".
But we're talking about 21yo guy with no widely available reports of acts of violence commited before or after the disappearance.

I, too, am impressed that this case is still being discussed, after all this time-- would  love to see some closure for the girls. Also, I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind insisting the husband is guilty (no, I'm not defending him-- just trying to understand some things). I can only assume one or more of the following to be true:
1. There's insider knowledge I'm unaware of, that would make it obvious
2. All other possibilities have been ruled out by either LE or the families
3. The answers are all on this forum somewhere, and my working memory is too poor to put it together

I, too, am impressed that this case is still being discussed, after all this time-- would  love to see some closure for the girls. Also, I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind insisting the husband is guilty (no, I'm not defending him-- just trying to understand some things). I can only assume one or more of the following to be true:
1. There's insider knowledge I'm unaware of, that would make it obvious
2. All other possibilities have been ruled out by either LE or the families
3. The answers are all on this forum somewhere, and my working memory is too poor to put it together

I would recommend checking out the Nancy Grace podcast on this case, in particular the parts where Richard Wilson (Renee's father) is interviewed.

There are some interesting bits in the Nancy Grace podcast, but damn this woman is annoying as hell and rude, too. Just horrible...I feel sorry for Mr Wilson (rip) that he had to put up with such tasteless people to get some attention to this case.

The GC podcast is not perfect, but a much better listen.

Last edited:
Per Richard Wilson on Nancy Grace’s podcast, the envelope and letter were forensically compared to legal documents TT had written. According to Richard, the tests concluded that TT had authored the envelope, but the testing on the actual letter was inconclusive.

@Ozoner youve been here a long time. Do you know the address of the actual shop Tommy worked at?

Are any of the old timers here??? Please chime in if you are!!! It’s awesome to see people discussing this case still!
Google maps
Here exactly. Other office location in Arlington was bit farther, I did some attempts at doing maps with all important locations 10 pages back.

Last edited:
There are some interesting bits in the Nancy Grace podcast, but damn this woman is annoying as hell and rude, too. Just horrible...I feel sorry for Mr Wilson (rip) that he had to put up with such tasteless people to get some attention to this case.

The GC podcast is not perfect, but a much better listen.
She's very emotional about things, makes good attempt at digging for some details and was interested in bringing some attention to cases that otherwise would go completely ignored by the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77