TX - Keyontae Holzendorf, 8, drowned in hotel bath tub, Houston, Mar 2021 *mom and husband arrested*

MoeInVA

Reaction score
Mom and common-law husband arrested after 8-year-old boy dies

A mother and her common-law husband have been arrested after an 8-year-old boy was pronounced dead in west Houston.

Police and paramedics responded to a possible drowning call at at the Quality Inn and Suites off the West Beltway around 11 p.m. Tuesday.

Paramedics began CPR and transported the boy to Texas Children's Hospital in Katy where he was pronounced dead.

Officers observed multiple injuries on the boy's body, not consistent with a drowning, according to a release from Houston police.
The 24-year-old woman and 28-year-old man are facing charges of injury to a child and tampering with evidence.

"We believe this to be domestic violence related and we are investigating this now with our homicide division," Assistant Chief Wendy Baimbridge with the Houston Police Department said. "We suspect foul play."
—-

Mom and common law husband Arrested today in Houston, names coming soon:
Two Suspects Arrested in Child’s Death at 2930 West Sam Houston Parkway South – City of Houston | Newsroom

Mom and common-law husband arrested after 8-year-old boy dies

A mother and her common-law husband have been arrested after an 8-year-old boy was pronounced dead in west Houston.

Police and paramedics responded to a possible drowning call at at the Quality Inn and Suites off the West Beltway around 11 p.m. Tuesday.

Paramedics began CPR and transported the boy to Texas Children's Hospital in Katy where he was pronounced dead.

Officers observed multiple injuries on the boy's body, not consistent with a drowning, according to a release from Houston police.
The 24-year-old woman and 28-year-old man are facing charges of injury to a child and tampering with evidence.

"We believe this to be domestic violence related and we are investigating this now with our homicide division," Assistant Chief Wendy Baimbridge with the Houston Police Department said. "We suspect foul play."
—-

Mom and common law husband Arrested today in Houston, names coming soon:
Two Suspects Arrested in Child’s Death at 2930 West Sam Houston Parkway South – City of Houston | Newsroom

There's just so many....:(
Poor kid - may he rest in peace xx

Houston police had contact with 8-year-old boy 3 weeks before his death

boy-death-.jpg

By Jessica Willey and Charly Edsitty

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Houston police officers spoke with an 8-year-old boy three weeks before he was found unresponsive with both new and old injuries, including patches of missing skin and deep ligature marks.

The boy's mother, Kayla Holzendorf, 24, and her common-law husband, Dominique Lewis, 28, have been charged with injury to a child and tampering with evidence. Those charges could be upgraded.

Nahji Jackson told ABC13 she called police on Feb. 28 to report abuse. The boy, who had been identified in court records as Keyontae Holzendorf, was selling muffins outside a Food Town on Briar Forest. She said he was unkempt but also injured.

"He had a cut here," Jackson said motioning to her eye. "Old cuts and bruises. When I asked the little boy if he was okay, all he did was stare at me. He did not speak."

Jackson provided video of the encounter to ABC13. Three and a half weeks later, the boy was found dead.

...snipped...

Tuesday night, police and firefighters responded to a possible drowning call at the Quality Inn and Suites off the West Beltway around 11 p.m. Investigators said it was obvious there was more to it.

I can't completely say we are sold that it was a drowning. When HFD and Houston police arrived, this complainant had many, many signs of chronic abuse, both old and new injuries and the new injuries are horrendous," explained Gilbert Sawtelle, the chief prosecutor of the Child Fatality Division at the Harris County District Attorney's Office. "It involves large patches of skin missing from his chest, upper arms, thighs and genitalia. He also had fairly new, deep ligature marks on his ankles."

Handcuffs and duct tape were found in the room, said Sawtelle. He added the mother admitted to hiding the handcuffs, which led to the tampering charge.

"We believe those handcuffs may be associated with ligature marks on the ankles," he said.

Officers found the boy on the floor in the middle of a room on the second floor of the hotel. Paramedics began CPR and transported the boy to Texas Children's Hospital in Katy where he was pronounced dead.

MOM TOLD POLICE SHE AND COMMON-LAW HUSBAND HAD SEX WHILE SON WAS DYING

According to court records, the couple told investigators they "don't know what happened" to Keyontae. Police wrote they observed new and old injuries on his body the night he died and the details are graphic. They include burn patches on his chest and body, burns to the shaft of his penis, bruising to the left side of his forehead, a laceration to the left ear, small puncture wounds to different places and ligature marks on his ankles and wrists.

https://abc13.com/amp/boy-killed-grandparents-8-year-old-found-dead-in-hotel-keyontae-holzendorf/10448338/

Ex-girlfriend of man accused in 8-year-old's death says he was abusive

She said eventually the emotional abuse turned physical. She told him the relationship was over. The ex-girlfriend said he tried to assault her when she came home from work one day.

"I had just gotten home from work. I was trying to take a shower. He was all like, 'Baby, baby. Let's kiss,' and whatever. 'I already told you I'm not your girlfriend anymore. You're just still living here. I'm trying to take a shower.' Gradually, he took me to the bed and tried to have sex with me. I told him I'm not interested," said the woman. "He's like, 'I'll rip your shirt off.' My dad was in the next room and heard the scuffle. He called 911."

"If I had continued the relationship, it could have gotten a lot worse. The thing about Dominique is when he gets angry, he gets extremely angry," said the woman. "He doesn't control himself well. He will destroy things. He will hit things. Luckily, I got out of it before it got too bad."

The woman said she feels for the boy's mother, Kayla Holzendorf. She said she wanted to hug her and said it's likely Kayla got caught up in a bad relationship.

Ex-girlfriend of man accused in 8-year-old's death says he was abusive

Prosecutor describes death of Keyontae Holzendorf as a ‘long-term torture case’

The couple appeared Friday morning in Harris County criminal court before Judge Hilary Unger. Prosecutor Gilbert Sawtelle revealed more details in what he called a “long-term torture case,” saying that he suspects Lewis, who is not the boy’s biological father, was the main culprit in the child’s death.

Preliminary autopsy results reveal that the boy likely died from a combination of blunt trauma and asphyxiation, Sawtelle said. The full autopsy results have not been released. There was also evidence of prior injuries. The boy had scars on his back and thighs, Sawtelle said.

Keyontae had injuries consistent with duct tape being ripped off his face and body, Sawtelle said. He had internal injuries consistent with choking on his own blood, the prosecutor said. Investigators recovered handcuffs stuffed under a mattress and duct tape with evidence of hair and skin.

Kayla Holzendorf told investigators that she and Lewis told the boy to take a bath while they had sex, Sawtelle said. The mother said she fell asleep and awoke to screaming in the bathroom. Prosecutors said they believe that Lewis struck Keyontae in the mouth and bound him with duct tape.

“Our inclination is that the injuries were (caused) by Mr. Lewis,” Sawtelle said.

Grandparents seeking justice after 8-year-old boy found dead in Houston motel

“I immediately thought there was something else behind it. There is no way an 8-year-old boy is going to just drown himself in a tub,” said Keyontae’s step-grandfather Deon Davis.

Kayla’s mother, Sheryl Holzendorf, agrees that her daughter’s story doesn’t add up.

Kayla’s father, Timothy Holzendorf, said he is heartsick over the death of his beautiful grandson.
“You could not find a sweeter, more lovable, little boy,” Timothy said.

Grandparents seeking justice after 8-year-old boy found dead in Houston motel

Poor boy.
Did they live at the hotel?
I wonder if any other guests heard anything.
Anyone of any age could accidentally drown in a bath or shower, but let's see what the evidence shows.
I think they were living there. JMO
As is so often the case, people realized in retrospect what they saw and heard.
The boy came and went from the Quality Inn motel carrying muffins to sell in grocery store parking lots. His mother always walked ahead of him, empty-handed.

Sometimes, neighbors or front-desk staff would slip Keyontae Holzendorf a snack, a high-five or a “Hey Tae!” He was always sweet and polite, they said.

The boy’s family gave hotel management no trouble, but looking back, some residents said there were signs they overlooked that indicated something was wrong.

Keyontae wore long sleeves and a mask. One long-term resident said she heard loud thuds, like furniture dropping. The woman, who declined to give her name because she did not want to jeapordize the police investigation, noticed his eyes were jaundiced and full of pain, like those of an older man. For his birthday, she gifted him with a Minions figurine — he loved it.

It really is...:(
He is such a gorgeous little boy, and looks so sweet and kind. It is devastating to hear what horrid things went on ...I hope the so-called mother gets asa much punishment as her worthless bf. She should have protected that sweet baby...:mad:

Her own family seems to feel the same.
It’s hard to comprehend a mother allowing a boyfriend to abuse her child but it happens all the time.
It’s pretty obvious her family, his maternal grandparents, would have taken care of him if she had asked.

“Harris County court records revealed the new details just hours after the child's maternal grandparents told ABC13 his mother concealed him from them before his death.
Sheryl said she and her family did not know Keyontae and his mother, 24-year-old Kayla Holzendorf, were staying at a hotel with her common-law husband, 28-year-old Dominique Lewis.
Timothy Holzendorf and other relatives woke up late Tuesday to distraught calls from Kayla Holzendorf from her hotel room. It wasn’t clear what had happened, but they knew something was wrong. They hit the road without packing, driving to Houston from Georgia and Florida and rushing to the hospital. Keyontae was already gone.
"I want everybody to know that Keyontae had a family," said Ericka. "We love him. He wasn't by himself, and he's not alone, and we're here to find out what happened ... we're here until we get justice."
Relatives said they were not aware of the abuse because Kayla Holzendorf kept her son’s face hidden when they talked on FaceTime. She was always hovering over him, coaching him on what to say, Timothy Holzendorf said. She would vanish or refuse to take calls if family members asked questions.
“We’re all in disbelief,” said Sheryl Holzendorf, the boy’s grandmother. They described Keyontae as a sweet and loving boy who always found a reason to smile and be happy.

and this:
Lewis is on disability due to a mood disorder, said his attorney, David Ryan. In 2018, he pleaded guilty to an assault charge for hitting his then-girlfriend, court records show. In the past six years, he was also convicted in Harris County court for criminal trespassing, giving a false identity to a peace officer and robbery causing bodily injury.
Prosecutor describes death of Keyontae Holzendorf as a 'long-term torture case'

boy-death-.jpg

By Jessica Willey and Charly Edsitty

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Houston police officers spoke with an 8-year-old boy three weeks before he was found unresponsive with both new and old injuries, including patches of missing skin and deep ligature marks.

The boy's mother, Kayla Holzendorf, 24, and her common-law husband, Dominique Lewis, 28, have been charged with injury to a child and tampering with evidence. Those charges could be upgraded.

Nahji Jackson told ABC13 she called police on Feb. 28 to report abuse. The boy, who had been identified in court records as Keyontae Holzendorf, was selling muffins outside a Food Town on Briar Forest. She said he was unkempt but also injured.

"He had a cut here," Jackson said motioning to her eye. "Old cuts and bruises. When I asked the little boy if he was okay, all he did was stare at me. He did not speak."

Jackson provided video of the encounter to ABC13. Three and a half weeks later, the boy was found dead.

...snipped...

Tuesday night, police and firefighters responded to a possible drowning call at the Quality Inn and Suites off the West Beltway around 11 p.m. Investigators said it was obvious there was more to it.

I can't completely say we are sold that it was a drowning. When HFD and Houston police arrived, this complainant had many, many signs of chronic abuse, both old and new injuries and the new injuries are horrendous," explained Gilbert Sawtelle, the chief prosecutor of the Child Fatality Division at the Harris County District Attorney's Office. "It involves large patches of skin missing from his chest, upper arms, thighs and genitalia. He also had fairly new, deep ligature marks on his ankles."

Handcuffs and duct tape were found in the room, said Sawtelle. He added the mother admitted to hiding the handcuffs, which led to the tampering charge.

"We believe those handcuffs may be associated with ligature marks on the ankles," he said.

Officers found the boy on the floor in the middle of a room on the second floor of the hotel. Paramedics began CPR and transported the boy to Texas Children's Hospital in Katy where he was pronounced dead.

Physically sickening, and heart breaking. So much more difficult since Keyontae is so adorable.

Thank you Nahji Jackson. You cared. You spoke out. You tried.

Her own family seems to feel the same.
It’s hard to comprehend a mother allowing a boyfriend to abuse her child but it happens all the time.
It’s pretty obvious her family, his maternal grandparents, would have taken care of him if she had asked.

“Harris County court records revealed the new details just hours after the child's maternal grandparents told ABC13 his mother concealed him from them before his death.
Sheryl said she and her family did not know Keyontae and his mother, 24-year-old Kayla Holzendorf, were staying at a hotel with her common-law husband, 28-year-old Dominique Lewis.
Timothy Holzendorf and other relatives woke up late Tuesday to distraught calls from Kayla Holzendorf from her hotel room. It wasn’t clear what had happened, but they knew something was wrong. They hit the road without packing, driving to Houston from Georgia and Florida and rushing to the hospital. Keyontae was already gone.
"I want everybody to know that Keyontae had a family," said Ericka. "We love him. He wasn't by himself, and he's not alone, and we're here to find out what happened ... we're here until we get justice."
Relatives said they were not aware of the abuse because Kayla Holzendorf kept her son’s face hidden when they talked on FaceTime. She was always hovering over him, coaching him on what to say, Timothy Holzendorf said. She would vanish or refuse to take calls if family members asked questions.
“We’re all in disbelief,” said Sheryl Holzendorf, the boy’s grandmother. They described Keyontae as a sweet and loving boy who always found a reason to smile and be happy.

and this:
Lewis is on disability due to a mood disorder, said his attorney, David Ryan. In 2018, he pleaded guilty to an assault charge for hitting his then-girlfriend, court records show. In the past six years, he was also convicted in Harris County court for criminal trespassing, giving a false identity to a peace officer and robbery causing bodily injury.
Prosecutor describes death of Keyontae Holzendorf as a 'long-term torture case'

Not so sure

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member