Identified! TX - Kilgore, 'Lavender Doe' WhtFem 483UFTX, 17-25, in woods, burned, Oct'06 Dana L Dodd

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by jodierenee, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 #RememberingCupcake

January 29 at 7:00 PM

GREGG COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - The mystery has been solved in the case of an unidentified woman, a murder victim, dubbed by law enforcement as “Lavender Doe.

According to the DNA Doe Project, a humanitarian initiative to help identify Jane and John Does through advanced genetic genealogy techniques, the remains of the woman have been identified. Lt. Eddie Hope with Gregg County Sheriff’s Office confirms that the woman has been identified to law enforcement, but that her identity will not be released to the public at this time due to “the open nature of her case and pending trial.”

DNA leads to identification of Lavender Doe, name not being released

LadyL, j_in_c, byo and 12 others like this.

2. wary

wary Well-Known Member

Hmmm, that doesn’t sound quite the same as: “name not released until trial is over.”

3. LeenC

LeenC Well-Known Member

And yet another one brought home by the DNA Doe Project! I hope she will find peace.

I don’t really understand why her name is being witheld because of a “pending trial”. But then I’m not very familiar with these things. Won’t her name come out regardless during the trial? Does anybody know if this trial is going to be behind closed doors?

wary, neesaki and cvaldez1975 like this.
  4. MarziPanda

MarziPanda Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, he claims to not know/not remember her name? Maybe, in the event of him claiming the confession was coerced, if they could get him to say her name, that could be good evidence - since the name hasn't been released yet, he'd have no way of knowing unless he knew her.

Of course, it's entirely possible that he really doesn't remember her name or never knew it. But that's the only reason I could think of for not releasing her name yet. Other than maybe it complicating the case, depending on who she was. If she led a high risk lifestyle maybe the defence could claim someone else killed her.

Mauge, neesaki, YaYa_521 and 4 others like this.
  5. wary

wary Well-Known Member

That’s my point. If there’s any sort of defense at all, they’re going to TRY to complicate the case. And, much as I hate to say it, they have a RIGHT to try to complicate the case, whether it’s with talk of risky lifestyle or current/ex husband/boyfriend.

I don’t know what the discovery laws are in Texas, but I’m pretty sure that if the prosecution knows who the victim is, the defense has a right to know.

Suglo, FireOwl9, LeenC and 1 other person like this.
  6. YaYa_521

YaYa_521 Every Body's Name Matters

Great job, CarlK. Consistently impressive work!

FireOwl9, GarAndTeed, dotr and 4 others like this.
  7. Al Ka

Al Ka Well-Known Member

My thought is that her name was not released publicly yet only for family sake. Nothing to do with defence.

Family have just found out about her murder, which is quite shocking itself and straight away before they can process this information they also have to adjust for her murder trial happening as well which is always quite traumatic for any victim families. They have to sit there and listen and re-live all those horrific details what happened to her.

Imagine if her name was released now too, that's another extra big pressure from media on them. All this combined is just too much for anyone to handle at the same time.

8. iulia

iulia Well-Known Member

East Texas officials release identify of Lavender Doe

j_in_c, coffeeandacig, byo and 15 others like this.
  9. Samaritan

Samaritan Follower of the Way

[​IMG]

Photo Source

So now we have her face and name. Continued prayers for her family and justice to be done.

j_in_c, LadyBadWolf, Keane and 15 others like this.
  10. wary

wary Well-Known Member

I knew that there was no chance at all that they’d go through a trial while hiding her name.

They investigated her friends and associates, living circumstances, etc. first, but announced it well before the trial.

11. faithx

faithx Member

From the Never Forget Me Facebook page:
    ❤️We are pleased to share the news with you that Lavender Doe has been Identified as Dana Lynn Dodd ....Her family has been thru a long and hard journey trying to find her. They have shared her photo with us and they could really use our love and support during this difficult time❤️
    [​IMG]

12. MarziPanda

MarziPanda Well-Known Member

She looks so much like Carl's recon. Amazing work again, Carl. Rest in peace Dana. So happy you got your name back and your family have closure. And hopefully soon she will also have justice.

13. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    UPDATE: Victim identified in Lavender Doe case

14. Fairy1

Fairy1 VOTE!!!

So happy to see this lovely young woman have her name back. My heart goes out to her family and I'm very happy to know they've been searching for her. I'm sorry this was the outcome.

15. FireOwl9

FireOwl9 Someday everything will make perfect sense...

Rest in Peace Dana Dodd :( May heaven forever protect you.

silverjug, coffeeandacig, byo and 4 others like this.
  16. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Condolences to her family and friends in this difficult time.

17. YaYa_521

YaYa_521 Every Body's Name Matters

Wow. Great news and great job to all who refused to give up until Dana was identified.

Rest peacefully, Dana. Our thoughts and prayers are with all who know and love Dana.

sans_soleil, FireOwl9, LRMOM and 3 others like this.
  18. AmonAmarther

AmonAmarther Nadia

So sad... It's always very hard to see their real face.
    Thank you, DNA Doe Project and Carl Kopperman, you guys are angels on earth... Thank you, LE, who did not stop until she got her name back.

Rest In Paradise, Dana.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  19. sloane7777

sloane7777 Well-Known Member

I'm so happy and sad at the same time , do we know if she was reported missing?

20. AmonAmarther

AmonAmarther Nadia

According to one of her family members, they tried to file a report, but the police didn't take it because she was an adult. The family never stopped looking for her, though.