Found Deceased TX - Leanne Bearden, 33, Garden Ridge, 17 Jan 2014 #11

I truly believe that Leanne was a free spirit. She fell in love with Josh and believed she could be happy because she loved him deeply enough, and so convinced herself that she could live an ordinary life. She obviously at least tried to convince herself that is what she wanted.

But sometimes a free spirit such as hers can only be happy living life with adventure and ever changing circumstances, challenges, and discoveries, such as in traveling the world as they did those two years. Maybe she came to realize that she just couldn't imagine living that ordinary life that most of us live, maybe she just found it to be stifling, oppressive, draining.

In the end, I think her love for Josh and family was such that she wasn't able to allow herself to just walk away and go forward and live her life the way she needed to. It was an inner conflict and turmoil that she could not resolve within herself, and it ended with major depression to the point she could see no way out. So very very sad. Jmo

Does it matter where the depression arose from? Does it matter how long she's suffered in silence? Does it matter?? Does it change the end result? Unless you've been alone in a room full of people, you simply can't understand it. You can't!!

I think it does matter for those suffering with depression. They look at this case and want to understand if this was something over her for a long time or if this was something that suddenly came over her. Maybe like a comfort to know hey I've been depressed but it's not like hers and they can over come it. Maybe it's a thought saying this will not be my fate.

I'm not sure on that. This case is just so sad. My heart goes out to Josh and her family.

as a chronic depressive i had to add that try as we may to find an explanation the only one who knows why and what took her to take such drastic steps is, sadly, gone.

life w depression, as many know, is a constant struggle. you keep a happy face because the label of suffering from a mental illness is scary, you feel guilty because even the things you love doing leave a taste of ashes in your mind, you punish your body physically to actually feel something: exhaustion, pain, accomplishment, anything

and sometimes you wake up feeling that you cannot go any longer, you might think you are doing your family a favour: your partner might find someone to make him happy, your friends can go on with their lifes...

oblivion, a deep, eternal sleep. to forget, to be back to where you began. and the more depressed you are, the blacker the skies become that elusive sleep becomes your goal.

and wherever you are leanne, be in peace. no more anguish, no more fear, just a peaceful, everlasting sleep

lupus est homini *advertiser censored*, non *advertiser censored*, non quom qualis sit novit

I cry for Leanne, for Josh, for Leanne's loved ones. I was Leanne just a week ago. While I don't have her looks, her money, her adventures...I know the depression. I know the pain. I know the feeling of being in the way, and wondering if others would be better off without me. Yes, I know the feeling, Leanne. May your soul rest in peace.

Hugs! Thank you for sharing. You are courageous for sharing your struggles.

I keep thinking of Leanne - right now I'm reading "Kisses from Katie" written by a young woman who's a missionary in Uganda. She went there on a year mission trip and was unable to return to the suburban life she grew up with outside of Knoxville, Tennessee. She writes it so poignantly - how physically uncomfortable (even torturous) her conditions are in Uganda, with dust and heat and mosquitos and not enough to eat and disease and heartbreak - but when she returns for a Christmas break to suburban US she can't bear it. The thought of returning to her creature comforts permanently and going to college is unthinkable - and she goes back to Uganda to the miserable conditions.

It's awful - and sounds so much like Leanne. She couldn't bear a life of stability and comfort.

I love to read and I came to love Leanne. When they found her I have never been so upset over a case I had to walk away. I could not believe she killed herself. My heart was broken.

So I will read Kisses from Katie to try and understand the longing Leanne might have had.

I am still having a sad time knowing Leanne is gone from this earth. I haven't been back much because I could not bear her pain.

God Bless Josh having to go on alone. I hope and pray he does not play the blame game. He was and is a good man and I hope everybody lifts him up during this terrible time in his life.

So many plans and dreams for a happy future. Now tears flow again for all that could have been for these two beautiful people!

:banghead:

It sounds like that would be no, based on that long article and the video.

My heart and gratitude goes out to Josh for being willing to publicly sort through his feelings to help others. It's heartbreaking to imagine Leanne coming back to stand at the end of the driveway for a moment, contemplating... what? going back in? It must absolutely twist Josh's heart to imagine that moment.

What I guess I'm still not clear on - maybe because of the editing? or the questions the reporter was asking? is whether or not she suffered from depression before the end of their trip? Was she a depressed person who put on a happy face, or was she a happy person who became situationally depressed after their trip?

I got from the video and the article:

- Josh seemed to be saying that he hadn't considered Leanne to have been battling depression during their marriage.

- She was a people pleaser (which could be a warning sign, stuffing her own feelings so she wouldn't bother anyone with them, but not in and of itself a huge red flag) and she had a lot of energy and happiness during their trip.

- It was weeks before their return that she started showing any signs of depression or anxiety (in fact in the trip video of her walking on the beach, she's saying "I've been anxious for weeks" while she was talking about their trip coming to a close).

- It manifested itself as being uncharacteristically anxious about procedural things like insurance and registration and a bit unsocial at Christmas (but she was also said to have normally needed her "me time" so this must have gone beyond the normal alone time she preferred).

- Something unclear about her weight loss and hormones?

- When she went for a walk that day and called up the stairs to Josh, he heard something like 'peace' in her voice, but in the context of her current mood, that peaceful tone was out of place. (I get that).

- In his gut, he believed she'd committed suicide within 3 hours of her absence, but his heart hoped that she'd just run away.​

So I guess what's bewildering to me is that I'd kind of been left with the impression after they found her body that she'd been battling depression in their marriage and the trip they took was a distraction from that depression - and when they arrived home, it sadly came back to roost with a vengeance.

And now what I think Josh was saying was that Leanne MUST HAVE been depressed, obviously since she committed suicide, but that she hadn't appeared even to her husband to have been a depressed person during their marriage, and that the first sign of anything being amiss was a few weeks before returning home.

The reason that bothers me is that it sounds like there were no signs of depression that couldn't have easily been attributed to post-trip blues, money stress and exhaustion. In fact everyone around her DID pick up on those things - they didn't go unnoticed - and asked her about them, and tried to help her. And Leanne herself was open enough at least about the anxiety to talk in their travel video about how she was feeling, and she told Josh, and she told Josh's dad how she was feeling - she was telling them enough to make her appear as if she were being open about her feelings.

It bothers me because I guess I was left with the idea that Leanne had some history of depression and had been giving off red flags and people just didn't pick up on them until after it was far too late. But from what Josh said, her emotions seemed appropriate to the situation, if excessive for Leanne's personality, and she wasn't someone who suffered from depression ordinarily. Which is scary to me. You can't eagle eye all loved ones who are uncharacteristically anxious when coming to a stressful time of life.

But then - if she hadn't been depressed in the traditional sense during their marriage, how did Josh's gut tell him "suicide" when she took off, and not "runaway" or "abducted"? On some level he must have known she was seriously ill.

Can you direct me to the video and the article Josh wrote. I am sorry for asking but I was so upset when they found Leanne I deleted everything. TIA

Does it matter where the depression arose from? Does it matter how long she's suffered in silence? Does it matter?? Does it change the end result? Unless you've been alone in a room full of people, you simply can't understand it. You can't!!

Aww, 2Hope4, I'm so sorry, and I do understand in my own way, which is why I'm so bothered by not understanding whether her depression was long term or situational. Because I have felt that way, and do cycle down into those depths myself. And I also use travel as a tool to distract me (and it works wonderfully for me, and feels healthy while I'm doing it). And when I return home I do so knowing the "re entry" will be painful.

I can't stop wondering about Leanne because I outwardly resemble her (not physically, but the emotions she exhibited to the outside world) and I want to know how closely I resemble her inwardly. I don't ever want to get to the point she did. I want to know for myself what difference there is between Leanne and me. I want to know if she suffered lifelong depression, or if she leaned on Josh to help her, or if she never told him the depth of what she was feeling? Because whatever she did, it wasn't enough to keep herself alive. And I don't want to get to that point, that's all.

I have felt alone in a room full of people, but I haven't felt suicidal. I have felt like there is not one more positive contribution left for me to make, that I was marking time by waking up and living my life every day, that I was essentially "used up" as a person, done contributing, done serving a purpose, a hollow eggshell - but that has never progressed to feeling that I would better serve the world by leaving it. I haven't gotten there, and I'm grateful I haven't.

But on some level I wonder if Josh would write the story of Leanne - what if he included something that mentioned that Leanne felt like she was no longer serving a purpose, felt used up, felt "done" contributing? If I read that, I would immediately feel like I could be on the same heartbreaking slope. That maybe one additional challenge tips someone like me over into someone like Leanne. And I have children - this isn't anywhere I want to go.

So to me it really does matter what led to it, and I'm so glad that Josh wants to start an awareness campaign to let people know that smiling and being active and high-energy and excited about new experiences does not necessarily mean someone's also not depressed. But again - if Leanne's depression was situational, and came without much recognizable warning, then that changes things in my eyes, as far as depression education goes. I can't relate as much to that, though I'd try to understand and use that understanding to be more aware of my own friends and family and their relative life state, feelings and situational emotions.

Hello, I'm but a lurker to this forum, but I wanted to respond to ami's concerns about depression. As a mental health professional and a person who suffers from mental illness, I was compelled to reach out to you to encourage you to contact your own personal therapist or find one in your community. The questions you are asking are good ones to work through with your therapist. The truth is that everyone is different, but we are learning more about suicidal ideation, which is likely genetic. In fact, some people can be depressed their whole lives and never contemplate suicide and then there are those individuals who suffer a bout of situational depression and experience profound suicidal ideation.

Ami, I sense an urgency in your question and that is why I recommend you reach out to your therapist to put your mind at ease. I can only give you generalities and the questions you are seeking answers to require more in-depth discussion. When suffering from depression, it is important to know if you have ever experienced suicidal ideation and to assess other risk factors to provide you with the best care. I understand your concern, especially since you mentioned children. Protective factors are just as important as risk factors when assessing suicidality. Children and other loved ones can be one type of protective factor.

I wish you luck on your journey and pray for your continued wellness.

Josh recently posted happy pictures from what would have been Leanne's last post from Machu Piccu. He addresses the difference between someone being a depressed person and having depression (which Leanne did).

When Leanne picked these pictures she was happy just like she always was. Leanne was not a depressed person, Leanne had depression. The difference in the two is as far apart as the people that can't recognize this. They might as well live on different planets. During the whirlwind of memorial services that Leanne had one group said that they don't want to remember Leanne as a depressed person. LEANNE WAS NOT A DEPRESSED PERSON, SHE HAD DEPRESSION. I remember the anger that this made me feel but I sucked it up. The danger in this type of thinking is that we learn nothing. The stigma of depression rolls on and nobody notices. This is the exact thinking that feeds the stigma and changes nothing. This type of poisonous thought is something that we all must change.

http://www.goexplore365.com/2014/07/leannes-last-post-machu-piccu.html

We wanted to say congratulations and THANK YOU to Jeff Goldblatt at Kens5 News in San Antonio for being awarded the Betty Fulenwider Media award to honor outstanding contributions and achievements in the treatment of mental health and health related issues. It was stated that his coverage of a significant story on suicide helped turn this tragedy into a positive outcome creating a foundation that will continue to educate communities on the awareness and prevention of this mental health issue. We couldn't thank Jeff enough and are so happy that he's on our side with this issue. Among other things he read this statement from Josh at the ceremony that was attended by several members of the Kens5 team and Josh's parents:

On January 17th, 2014 the world became less beautiful. Leanne had the most perfect soul and was loved by people all around the world. I was not equipped for the turn she took the last month of her life. Meaning, I had no idea what to do with the situation I was in. I was uneducated and unaware like so many are. I want to thank Jeff Goldblatt for taking the risk to follow up with me and making the trip to Denver to cover the story. I hope through this story and the UpFoundation we can educate others in similar circumstances so they might be able to know what to do to prevent another tragedy like mine and everybody else that loved her. We don’t know the direction of the UpFoundation but we do know that we want to work closely with other organizations like the South San Antonio Community for Mental Health. I would also like thank them for nominating this story and for the great work they do to increase awareness of mental health issues. We have decided as our first act of UpFoundation to donate a $1,000 to help their efforts.

Thank you for everything and god bless.

https://www.facebook.com/upfoundationforhope?fref=nf

Downtown conference raises awareness on mental health

Will Bearden spoke with Eyewitness News about the importance of recognizing signs of depression and suicide.

"Our family's not better off without Leanne. I bet she thought that at one time. But we're not," said Bearden. "So, let's keep the awareness out there. Let's keep talking about it and it's part of what we dedicated ourselves to do."

http://www.kens5.com/story/news/hea...lliams-leanne-bearden-death-suicide/14095205/

One year later, and I actually still think of Leanne Bearden more than any other person I've never met.

http://www.kens5.com/story/news/2015/01/17/leanne-bearden-one-year-later/21933923/

I was thinking of Leanne tonight while reading the poems of Robert Burns...

Raving winds upon her blowing
Yellow leaves the woodlands strowing,
By river hoarsely roaring,
Isabella stray'd deploring-

"Farewell hours by late did measure
Sunshine days of joy and pleasure;
Hail thy gloomy night of sorrow,
Cheerless night that knows no morrow!

O'er the past too fondly wandering,
On the hopeless future pondering;
Chilly grief my life-blood freezes,
Fell despair my fancy seizes.

Life, thou soul of every blessing,
Load to misery most distressing,
Gladly how would I resign thee,
And to dark oblivion join thee!"

http://www.robertburns.org/works/210.shtml

I hope you have found the peace you sought, Leanne.

I followed this case before I decided to register. I do think about her often. RIP She was loved by many.

Me too. I joined this site while following her story on the news, and it still breaks my heart.

It is also a very clear reminder to me to be careful what assumptions that we are making from our armchairs, as referenced in the follow up article where Josh talks about how hard it was to cope with all the people pointing fingers at him.
https://creatavist-g49brf5.creatavist.com/untitledproject-6hsv4#chapter-90932

I feel for Josh, and I regret that I, too, was one of those people that immediately put the husband at the top of the guilty list. Ironically, in the middle of all of this, a friend and former colleague lost her husband to suicide. It shocked the community--more than 400 people showed up at his memorial service. He had had seemed so "happy." But--those in his immediate circle knew that he struggled.

Between these two sad stories, I am now committed to being very careful not to point fingers at loved ones of victims without confirmation from Law Enforcement that there is a reason for it. And Josh, if you ever stumble upon this site--I am sorry for ever doubting you. I hope you find peace soon, and I hope your foundation helps others.
One year later, and I actually still think of Leanne Bearden more than any other person I've never met.

http://www.kens5.com/story/news/2015/01/17/leanne-bearden-one-year-later/21933923/

Me too. I joined this site while following her story on the news, and it still breaks my heart.

It is also a very clear reminder to me to be careful what assumptions that we are making from our armchairs, as referenced in the follow up article where Josh talks about how hard it was to cope with all the people pointing fingers at him.
https://creatavist-g49brf5.creatavist.com/untitledproject-6hsv4#chapter-90932

I feel for Josh, and I regret that I, too, was one of those people that immediately put the husband at the top of the guilty list. Ironically, in the middle of all of this, a friend and former colleague lost her husband to suicide. It shocked the community--more than 400 people showed up at his memorial service. He had had seemed so "happy." But--those in his immediate circle knew that he struggled.

Between these two sad stories, I am now committed to being very careful not to point fingers at loved ones of victims without confirmation from Law Enforcement that there is a reason for it. And Josh, if you ever stumble upon this site--I am sorry for ever doubting you. I hope you find peace soon, and I hope your foundation helps others.

Truly a sad, sad case. A husband is always on top of the list in cases like this.

I often think of Leanne. Her bright beautiful smile, and how happy she made others. Truly a reminder that what you see is not always what is happening underneath. I hope that Josh has found peace and is able to remember the memories of their good times and wonderful trip. So sorry I ever doubted you, Josh.

Leanne's story was a turning point for me. I point fingers less, think more. Bless you, sweet Leanne. I'm so sorry.

I do too, all these years later. I searched and searched after she died for the Etta James song "At Last" Leanne sang on a Youtube I believe it was or perhaps her blog. Never could locate it again :(

She was so talented. It was very distressful for many of us here, to hear about how she died. There never was a reason given from what I recall reading. No notes, etc. or none we know of. R.I.P. Leanne

I do too, all these years later. I searched and searched after she died for the Etta James song "At Last" Leanne sang on a Youtube I believe it was or perhaps her blog. Never could locate it again :(

She was so talented. It was very distressful for many of us here, to hear about how she died. There never was a reason given from what I recall reading. No notes, etc. or none we know of. R.I.P. Leanne

Found it in "Josh's Story"....

"She sang in a band for fun and belted vocals with a raw power that belied her petite frame."

02:40

Her Voice
Leanne Bearden sings 'At Last'

Josh's Story:

It was the alleged suicide of Rebecca Zahau that brought me to WS. I'm still not ready to accept Leanne's tragedy as told.

Seattle,
Interesting. So do you think someone close to her did something? Staged her suicide?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769
Back