TX - Leslie Squair Baker, 59, murdered in driveway in broad daylight, Dallas, 25 May 2020 *ARRESTS*

mysteryfan96

Reaction score
Killer on Loose in Dallas Murder of Well-Known Marketing Executive

This murder took place at 5 pm on Memorial Day in the upscale Prestonwood residential neighborhood of Dallas. The victim was a well-known marketing executive and was, according to acquaintances quoted in the article, very well-liked and friendly. She was shot multiple times while still sitting in her vehicle in her driveway. There had been rain storms in Dallas earlier in the day, but by 5 pm the sun was out and neighbors would have been more likely to be out and about. This was definitely a bold killing.

Although Dallas is a large city with its share of violent crime, the Prestonwood area is definitely not one where crimes like armed robbery, drive-bys, drug deals, and even murders in general take place. In fact, those crimes would be considered rare or perhaps even nonexistent there.

The article states the police haven’t announced any suspects, persons of interest, or even any potential motives. If they have any leads, they haven’t yet shared them with the media. So it would seem, without any information other than the basic facts to go on at this point, that all solutions are on the table- random murder by deranged killer, armed robbery gone wrong, robbery with the intent of killing from the get-go, murder by acquaintance, murder for hire for someone she knew, murder due to mistaken identity, etc...

The case reminds me somewhat on the surface of the Elizabeth Barrazza murder outside of Houston. There are differences, of course (time of day, age of victim, video being present in the EB murder, etc). But at the core of both cases there seems to be, in my opinion, a very personal element to the crime and a motive so strong that the killer didn’t care that he/she committed the murder under very risky circumstances.

We only have the eyewitness statement from the article to go on, but it sounds like the victim was shot/shot at multiple times. Shooting a victim 5 or 6 times (if that is in fact how many times she was shot) seems to indicate a lot of anger towards the individual, or at the very least a desire to make 100% sure she was dead.

Thoughts?

Larry Q. Robertson, president of Texas Health Center for Diagnostics and Surgery released the following statement regarding Baker’s death.

"We're shocked and heartbroken by Leslie's senseless death. I personally have known and worked with Leslie for many years, and her tragic passing is very difficult to understand and accept.Leslie was part of the Texas Health Resources family for more than 20 years and had been in her current role since 2007. She quickly became a trusted, valued member of our family. During her time here, she was a key member of our administrative team, known as an intelligent, fair and compassionate leader who kept the care of patients as her guiding light.During this tragic time, we send our heartfelt prayers, condolences and support to her husband and beloved children. We ask that everyone keep Leslie's family in their thoughts and prayers as they navigate through this tragic time."

The Dallas Police Department's homicide unit is asking that anyone with information regarding this offense, contact Detective E. Montenegro at 214-671-3624 or via email: e.montenegro@dallascityhall.com. Please refer to case #092727-2020.

Crime Stoppers will pay up to $5,000 for information.

This murder took place at 5 pm on Memorial Day in the upscale Prestonwood residential neighborhood of Dallas. The victim was a well-known marketing executive and was, according to acquaintances quoted in the article, very well-liked and friendly. She was shot multiple times while still sitting in her vehicle in her driveway. There had been rain storms in Dallas earlier in the day, but by 5 pm the sun was out and neighbors would have been more likely to be out and about. This was definitely a bold killing.

Although Dallas is a large city with its share of violent crime, the Prestonwood area is definitely not one where crimes like armed robbery, drive-bys, drug deals, and even murders in general take place. In fact, those crimes would be considered rare or perhaps even nonexistent there.

The article states the police haven’t announced any suspects, persons of interest, or even any potential motives. If they have any leads, they haven’t yet shared them with the media. So it would seem, without any information other than the basic facts to go on at this point, that all solutions are on the table- random murder by deranged killer, armed robbery gone wrong, robbery with the intent of killing from the get-go, murder by acquaintance, murder for hire for someone she knew, murder due to mistaken identity, etc...

The case reminds me somewhat on the surface of the Elizabeth Barrazza murder outside of Houston. There are differences, of course (time of day, age of victim, video being present in the EB murder, etc). But at the core of both cases there seems to be, in my opinion, a very personal element to the crime and a motive so strong that the killer didn’t care that he/she committed the murder under very risky circumstances.

We only have the eyewitness statement from the article to go on, but it sounds like the victim was shot/shot at multiple times. Shooting a victim 5 or 6 times (if that is in fact how many times she was shot) seems to indicate a lot of anger towards the individual, or at the very least a desire to make 100% sure she was dead.

Thoughts?

I moved from DFW to Canada pretty recently and I can confirm that Prestonwood is the elite of the elite. It totally reminds me of Elizabeth Barrazza. I would assume every single house in this very opulent area would have a significant security system.

I moved from DFW to Canada pretty recently and I can confirm that Prestonwood is the elite of the elite. It totally reminds me of Elizabeth Barrazza. I would assume every single house in this very opulent area would have a significant security system.
Yeah, I was hesitant to include the fact that Preston Hollow is home to the very wealthy because I didn’t want it to seem that her death was somehow more tragic because she was wealthy. But I do think it’s noteworthy in this case because violent crimes just don’t happen there, especially in the manner that it did.

Last edited:
Oh my. Thought of Elizabeth immediately. Cameras? Was she arriving home or leaving or? MOO EBM
I would imagine that at least one house on that street has a security camera or doorbell camera which could have recorded the comings and goings around that time, and that the police have at least something to go on. But they’re keeping quiet right now.

Woman Shot, Killed at Home in Apparent Carjacking Near Preston Royal - CandysDirt.com . The link given above have some useful information. It says that a total of 9 shots were fired which includes the first three slow shots followed by 6 rapid shots. The official police statement states that, she was on phone with her friend while at the driveway and she told her friend that she was being robbed and then the phone went dead.

Woman shot and killed in her Preston Hollow driveway on Memorial Day
Snipped
Surveillance photos show a possible suspect vehicle, a grey four-door car seen speeding away from the neighborhood around the time of the shooting. Police haven't released a suspect description, but Crime Stoppers is offering a reward for information.

On Tuesday morning, investigators returned to the crime scene to look for clues. They are investigating a murder that looks like it could have been an attempted robbery or carjacking.
Bob Buschardt says the Bakers were loved in the neighborhood where a lot of the people know each other.

“Leslie and Robert threw the first big parties that the neighborhood had here years and years ago,” he recalled. “They had Dickey’s Barbecue out here, and the whole street was party central.”

Steve Stoler and his wife, Susan Stoler, have known Baker and her family for years. Susan graduated high school with Baker in 1979
this sounds like a hit IMO video will be key
JMO

Sounds like a deliberate hit. So many shots for a robbery. Looks like she didn't know the shooter. Someone wanted her dead. This is just my opinion.
I agree with you, based on the facts we have so far. The other source listed in this thread is an interesting read, stating that the victim supposedly told the person with whom she was speaking on the phone that “I’m being robbed”. But that could have just been her first impression upon seeing an unfamiliar face (perhaps even masked) pointing a gun at her in her driveway. I know if I pulled into my driveway and then out of nowhere a car pulled in behind me and a gunman was upon me, my mind wouldn’t jump to “I’m about to die from a hired hit”. I would think it was a robbery most likely.

I just can’t recall off the top of my head a case where an armed robber unloaded somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-9 shots into one person. That is crazy. Armed robbers and carjackers who commit murder don’t usually stick around to empty the clip. They generally shoot their victims once or twice and then quickly flee with the vehicle or other property.

If what is being talked about by the neighbors and the reporter in that one article is true, it seems like there might have been witnesses, video, and possibly even a description of the killer’s vehicle.

Whatever the case, I hope they catch the murderer(s) quickly. Just like in the case of Elizabeth Barrazza, this was a lady who was just going about her day without even the slightest indication she was about to be brutally murdered. Just awful.

Sounds like a deliberate hit. So many shots for a robbery. Looks like she didn't know the shooter. Someone wanted her dead. This is just my opinion.
I agree with you, based on the facts we have so far. The other source listed in this thread is an interesting read, stating that the victim supposedly told the person with whom she was speaking on the phone that “I’m being robbed”. But that could have just been her first impression upon seeing an unfamiliar face (perhaps even masked) pointing a gun at her in her driveway. I know if I pulled into my driveway and then out of nowhere a car pulled in behind me and a gunman was upon me, my mind wouldn’t jump to “I’m about to die from a hired hit”. I would think it was a robbery most likely.

I just can’t recall off the top of my head a case where an armed robber unloaded somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-9 shots into one person. That is crazy. Armed robbers and carjackers who commit murder don’t usually stick around to empty the clip. They generally shoot their victims once or twice and then quickly flee with the vehicle or other property.

If what is being talked about by the neighbors and the reporter in that one article is true, it seems like there might have been witnesses, video, and possibly even a description of the killer’s vehicle.

Whatever the case, I hope they catch the murderer(s) quickly. Just like in the case of Elizabeth Barrazza, this was a lady who was just going about her day without even the slightest indication she was about to be brutally murdered. Just awful.

Larry Q. Robertson, president of Texas Health Center for Diagnostics and Surgery released the following statement regarding Baker’s death.

"We're shocked and heartbroken by Leslie's senseless death. I personally have known and worked with Leslie for many years, and her tragic passing is very difficult to understand and accept.Leslie was part of the Texas Health Resources family for more than 20 years and had been in her current role since 2007. She quickly became a trusted, valued member of our family. During her time here, she was a key member of our administrative team, known as an intelligent, fair and compassionate leader who kept the care of patients as her guiding light.During this tragic time, we send our heartfelt prayers, condolences and support to her husband and beloved children. We ask that everyone keep Leslie's family in their thoughts and prayers as they navigate through this tragic time."

The Dallas Police Department's homicide unit is asking that anyone with information regarding this offense, contact Detective E. Montenegro at 214-671-3624 or via email: e.montenegro@dallascityhall.com. Please refer to case #092727-2020.

Crime Stoppers will pay up to $5,000 for information.
Definitely scary - seems like a hit at first glance.

What do we know about the health care business where she worked - it's employees, patients, etc.?

jmo

I would imagine this happening on a holiday in a security minded neighborhood would hopefully lead to a suspect and arrest fairly soon. Brazenly bold IMO.
ITA seems like this was planned. No idea who was home, who called 911, did cameras catch any vehicles entering/leaving driveway? so many questions
JMO

May 26, 2020

A killer remains on the loose after the murder of a well-known Dallas marketing executive in broad daylight on Memorial Day.

As of Tuesday afternoon, there was no description of a suspect.

Dallas police would not say whether the attack on Leslie Squair Baker, 59, was random or a robbery.

[..]

“I heard what I thought were six shots,” Jenkins said. “Like a 'boom.' Then like a 'boom, pow.' Then followed by four rapid shots.”

'One of the best people I ever knew': Friends mourn woman shot outside her Preston Hollow home

Updated: 6:15 PM CDT May 26, 2020

DALLAS — Leslie Squair Baker grew up in Dallas, raised her kids in Dallas, and friends say it felt like she knew everything about Dallas.

“She doesn’t know a stranger. She knows everybody,” said Susan Stoler, who went to Dallas ISD’s W.T. White High School with Baker in the 1970s.

“A wonderful, vivacious, loving caring person. One of the best people I ever knew," Susan said.

Their friendship spanned decades. Susan's husband Steve Stoler, a former journalist at WFAA, was friends with Baker, too.

“It took probably two minutes after you were introduced to her and you felt like you’d had a friend for years,” Steve said.

1755bb40-70fd-475d-b9a9-a7c1b91300d3_1140x641.jpg

Credit: Facebook
Leslie Squair Baker was shot and killed outside her Preston Hollow home.
Baker’s Facebook page was inundated with special tributes from her friends Tuesday, as word spread about her death.

Neighbors said they heard six shots about 5 p.m. Monday outside Baker’s home in the 6100 block of Royalton, about a block from the intersection of Preston and Royal.

Dallas Police say when officers arrived, they found Baker in the driver’s seat of a black sedan with a gunshot wound.

RELATED: 59-year-old woman found shot, killed in her car in Preston Hollow

Police tried to revive her and paramedics rushed her to a hospital, but Baker, a 59-year-old wife and mother, died.

On Tuesday, police asked for the public’s help. They want anyone with information to contact Detective E. Montenegro at 214-671-3624 or via email at e.montenegro@dallascityhall.com.

DPD would not confirm whether detectives had any leads or potential motives.

While the coronavirus pandemic has monopolized news coverage in 2020, the story that captured Dallas's attention in 2019 was a spike in violent crime.
[..]

“It’s not just that this happened on Preston and Royal. It’s a fact that a crime like that could happen in any part of the city,” Mata said. “And we are not doing everything we can -- not just the police, but also the civilians to solve these crimes.”

He said citizen cooperation is key.

“In solving these crimes, we are preventing future ones because these individuals are the same people out there committing these crimes over and over and over again,” he said. “Very few people commit murder as their very first crime.”

Crime Stoppers is offering a $5,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and indictment in Baker’s death. Crime Stoppers can be contacted at 214-373-TIPS (8477).

Woman shot and killed in her Preston Hollow driveway on Memorial Day

May 26, 2020

Surveillance photos show a possible suspect vehicle, a grey four-door car seen speeding away from the neighborhood around the time of the shooting.
[..]

On Tuesday morning, investigators returned to the crime scene to look for clues. They are investigating a murder that looks like it could have been an attempted robbery or carjacking.

Video at the link above reports the victim was talking on her phone to a friend and the last thing she said was that she was being robbed.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back