Found Safe TX - LF, 9, & dad, Hector Flores Jr, 49, hiking @ Big Bend Natl Park, 28 Jan 2022 *Arrest*

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK – The National Park Service, Big Bend National Park and the Federal Bureau of Investigation El Paso Field Office, Alpine Resident Agency Office, are seeking information on a missing Fort Stockton man and his daughter.

Hector Flores Jr., 49, and his 9-year-old daughter LF were last seen on Jan. 28 after traveling from Fort Stockton to Big Bend National Park in his blue 2005 Dodge 1500 truck, according to a press release from Big Bend National Park.

Flores’ truck was found abandoned along the northern end of the remote Old Ore Road with many of their personal belongings inside, according to the press release. Authorities believe they may be traveling on foot and may not have the proper clothing or equipment to camp inside the park.

HF is 5-foot- with black hair, brown eyes and approximately 150 pounds. LF has black hair and brown eyes. They both have family in San Antonio.

Search teams are hiking the area, driving the country roads and searching from the air. Searchers from the NPS, the NPS Investigative Services Branch, U.S. Border Patrol, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and the Texas Department of Public Safety are involved in the search.

Investigators believe they may still be in Big Bend National Park.

The public is urged to call the FBI Tipline at 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) with any information. Tips can also be submitted online at tips.fbi.gov. Individuals who provide information may remain anonymous.

rawImage.jpg

Big Bend National Park authorities searching for missing man, child

Where could they be, it's been a week and a half?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, they could be in Mexico or they could be lost in Big Bend or maybe they were picked up by someone. They could be dead from exposure to the elements.

It doesn’t appear that they went there prepared to hike or camp.

I wonder where her mother is? I don’t know any mothers who would be fine with their 9 yr old daughter going overnight hiking in Big Bend in January.

Just Dad and daughter, not dressed or equipped for camping. Surely dad has a cell phone - what’s up with that?

I seem to remember hearing that there is plenty of cartel activity in Big Bend. I don’t remember where I saw that but it makes sense.
MOO

Last edited:
Hmmmm. This is worrisome. I wonder what their plans actually were? People do go camping in Big Bend in the winter for sure, but I personally would rather go in spring or fall. I wonder if they know if their abandoned truck was broken down or out of gas?

Surely dad has a cell phone - what’s up with that?
MOO

Cell reception out there is still very hard to come by. As far to the East side of the park as they were, I'm like 90% certain they didn't have reception. I've never gotten reception out there, even after I switched carriers specifically for the purpose of having better reception in West Texas.

Well, they could be in Mexico or they could be lost in Big Bend or maybe they were picked up by someone. They could be dead from exposure to the elements.

It doesn’t appear that they went there prepared to hike or camp.

I wonder where her mother is? I don’t know any mothers who would be fine with their 9 yr old daughter going overnight hiking in Big Bend in January.

Just Dad and daughter, not dressed or equipped for camping. Surely dad has a cell phone - what’s up with that?

I seem to remember hearing that there is plenty of cartel activity in Big Bend. I don’t remember where I saw that but it makes sense.
MOO
You have the same questions I do. It’s a puzzling situation, IMO.

Hmm if they left their personal belongings in the vehicle, could it be that they weren't prepared to be gone long?
Did they have camping reservations?
Are they late returning?
Its sounds strange, possibly suspicious.

Hector and LF - Google My Maps

This might be wayyy premature, but I created a custom Google My Maps for this case.

I drew a shape of the "northern end of the remote Old Ore Road," the description for where the truck was found.

The area does really seem quite remote, well away from any of the designated Remote Primitive campsites. I labeled the four closest to that general area of the north end of Old Ore Rd, even though they haven't been mentioned as being important.

I also labeled Boquillas, the only and official border crossing into Mexico inside BBNP. It's about 21 miles, but again, I stress it hasn't been mentioned as important.

The Paisano - 2022

A visitor's guide of sorts for visiting Big Bend National Park. Under safety, this line caught my attention:

Avoid travel on well-used but unofficial "social trails"

I wonder what that means?

Hector and L F - Google My Maps

This might be wayyy premature, but I created a custom Google My Maps for this case.

I drew a shape of the "northern end of the remote Old Ore Road," the description for where the truck was found.

The area does really seem quite remote, well away from any of the designated Remote Primitive campsites. I labeled the four closest to that general area of the north end of Old Ore Rd, even though they haven't been mentioned as being important.

I also labeled Boquillas, the only and official border crossing into Mexico inside BBNP. It's about 21 miles, but again, I stress it hasn't been mentioned as important.

The Paisano - 2022

A visitor's guide of sorts for visiting Big Bend National Park. Under safety, this line caught my attention:

Thanks for the map! I was looking at that last night. Their truck was found on the northern part of Old Ore Rd. And there are several campgrounds on the southern end of the road. So it does seem possible they were heading down toward those. But did the truck break down or run out of gas? Why would they stop at the northern end of the road? And just for people not from here, Fort Stockton, where they live, is pretty close to Big Bend. So it would make sense if they were just going for a day hike or even a weekend trip for them to leave on a Friday like they did. Nothing seems too unusual about that to me except that they got out of the truck for some reason before they actually got into the park, right? Left their things in the truck and then disappeared.

Federal entities involved because national parks are Federal entities and a child is in danger?
Cell phone coverage on the east side of the park is likely non existent.

My husband and I were in Big Bend National Park (pre Covid) about this time of year and decided to check out the Old Ore Road. To get there, one turns off the paved Main Park Road onto Dagger Flat Auto Trail, an unpaved road.

After two miles on Dagger Flat Road, there's a clearly marked intersection that is the start of the north end of Old Ore Road. The large sign at the intersection clearly notes that 4-wheel drive is required on Old Ore Road. (This is where we parked our Toyota van, got out the mountain bikes and headed down Old Ore Road. We biked along for about five miles, and headed back to the car.)

I'm assuming the dad and daughter were NOT in a 4-wheel drive truck, so first red flag. That said, the road looks innocuous at the turnoff and the first few mile or two are pretty mellow.

There are eight or nine designated camping spots (by reservation only) along Old Ore Road, so one might or might not be passed by a 4-wheel drive SUV or truck headed for one of the camping spots.

Their truck was described as abandoned, so that's concerning. Or maybe it just means there was no one at the truck when it was found?

Possibly scenarios?
Breakdown/stuck/ran out of gas and decided to walk south for help instead of north to the paved highway?
Same, but tried to hike overland for help?
Went for a day hike and got lost/disoriented?
Father has mental illness...any of the above?
Least likely: they were stuck/broke down and were given a ride by an evil doer
I'd discount cartel activity. It's just doesn't seem likely to me.
If they wanted to go to Mexico, that's not how you get there.

The area is remote, the terrain is rugged, unforgiving desert. I'd guess elevation at the start of Old Ore Road is around 2,500 ft.

I tried to find historical weather data for Jan. 28 but Weather Underground defaulted to Chihuahua, MX. Winter weather in Big Bend is all over the place, from freezing and maybe a few snow flurries, to balmy days in the 80s, all within the span of a day or two.

It's suppose it's possible to be in Fort Stockton, decide to go to Big Bend without ever having gone on the internet to do research.
Dagger Flat Auto Trail is the 2nd major road turnoff after entering the park from the north entrance, so "Hey, there's a road, let's check it out!"
(The other turnoff is Terlingua Ranch Road, which is not really part of the park).

I'm sad to say I don't think this will have a happy ending.

Note: google "picture of sign for old ore road off dagger flat auto trail" and you'll likely come up with a photo of the sign at the intersection, to get a sense of the area.

If you are Big Bend curious, google or search youtube for "Old Ore Road in Big Bend National Park" and probably come up with videos and photos. A lot of overland type folks like to document their drives.

Federal entities involved because national parks are Federal entities and a child is in danger?
Cell phone coverage on the east side of the park is likely non existent.

My husband and I were in Big Bend National Park (pre Covid) about this time of year and decided to check out the Old Ore Road. To get there, one turns off the paved Main Park Road onto Dagger Flat Auto Trail, an unpaved road.

After two miles on Dagger Flat Road, there's a clearly marked intersection that is the start of the north end of Old Ore Road. The large sign at the intersection clearly notes that 4-wheel drive is required on Old Ore Road. (This is where we parked our Toyota van, got out the mountain bikes and headed down Old Ore Road. We biked along for about five miles, and headed back to the car.)

I'm assuming the dad and daughter were NOT in a 4-wheel drive truck, so first red flag. That said, the road looks innocuous at the turnoff and the first few mile or two are pretty mellow.

There are eight or nine designated camping spots (by reservation only) along Old Ore Road, so one might or might not be passed by a 4-wheel drive SUV or truck headed for one of the camping spots.

Their truck was described as abandoned, so that's concerning. Or maybe it just means there was no one at the truck when it was found?

Possibly scenarios?
Breakdown/stuck/ran out of gas and decided to walk south for help instead of north to the paved highway?
Same, but tried to hike overland for help?
Went for a day hike and got lost/disoriented?
Father has mental illness...any of the above?
Least likely: they were stuck/broke down and were given a ride by an evil doer
I'd discount cartel activity. It's just doesn't seem likely to me.
If they wanted to go to Mexico, that's not how you get there.

The area is remote, the terrain is rugged, unforgiving desert. I'd guess elevation at the start of Old Ore Road is around 2,500 ft.

I tried to find historical weather data for Jan. 28 but Weather Underground defaulted to Chihuahua, MX. Winter weather in Big Bend is all over the place, from freezing and maybe a few snow flurries, to balmy days in the 80s, all within the span of a day or two.

It's suppose it's possible to be in Fort Stockton, decide to go to Big Bend without ever having gone on the internet to do research.
Dagger Flat Auto Trail is the 2nd major road turnoff after entering the park from the north entrance, so "Hey, there's a road, let's check it out!"
(The other turnoff is Terlingua Ranch Road, which is not really part of the park).

I'm sad to say I don't think this will have a happy ending.

Note: google "picture of sign for old ore road off dagger flat auto trail" and you'll likely come up with a photo of the sign at the intersection, to get a sense of the area.

If you are Big Bend curious, google or search youtube for "Old Ore Road in Big Bend National Park" and probably come up with videos and photos. A lot of overland type folks like to document their drives.
I agree with everything you said! I don’t see this being cartel related, and they wouldn’t have stopped their truck and gotten out where they did if they wanted to go to Mexico. Makes no sense.
You would think they would know a lot about the park since they live in Fort Stockton (about 2 1/2 hours away, which is CLOSE out there). Even if they didn’t go there often or ever they would probably know about weather and roads etc.
Sadly I’m worried about Dad’s motivation and mental health. Unless we find out the truck was inoperable—then I worry about if they came across somebody bad or are just very lost. I would think with the huge amount of professional searching they would have been located if lost though. How far could they have gotten away from truck?

Hector and LF - Google My Maps

The Paisano - 2022

I'm guessing it's the trails that people have often used BUT are NOT the officially marked trail. If that is indeed cartel area there could be a lot of those "social trails". A person can really get themselves in trouble going off the marked trail. Sometimes you can get off the main trail without realizing it. If your unfamiliar with the area you could end up lost or worse in a heartbeat, even if your an experienced hiker. Hoping for a good outcome for these two, but sadly I don't think that's going to happen.

I wish they would say whether or not the truck was operable. It makes a difference I think. Since they didn’t say it was out of gas or broken down in some way, I’m leaning toward that it WAS operable. That’s weird then that they got out there. I wonder if where it was parked was a normal spot to park near trails OR if it was haphazardly left on side of road?

It really doesn’t look like that bad of a road as far as 4x4 only roads. But I do wonder if their truck was 4 wheel drive. And where exactly the truck was left. Was it at a difficult spot? But like you said the first part is ok, which would be the northern part where they left the truck….

Have I missed it somewhere? Were they just out for a day hike or were they planning on camping? This does not look like a place to take a 9 year old. If you wanted to spend some quality time with your child surely there would have been other places to go. That's about an hour and half drive from their home. I feel like a part of the story is missing for me. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back