TX - *LOCATED* Barefoot woman seen on surveillance video, Montgomery County, 24 Aug 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops sorry I should have clarified. Our Toronto suspect. :)

Oh, lol. I thought they found him. But I only learned of that one in passing while reading about this one, so don't take the fact that I thought they found him as anything more than my probably-mistaken opinion on the matter.

Do all crime victims have the option of requesting to stay anonymous? Or does LE decide who they identify and who they don’t? Those may be a stupid questions but it has me puzzled a bit why it is important in a domestic violence case that the people involved not be named. Doesn’t that unfairly imply that the victim has something to be ashamed of, and isn’t it that kind of thinking that keeps this sort of crime hidden and in the dark instead of exposed for the absolute wrong that it is? I know traditionally rape victims have not been named unless they specifically give permission, but I did not realize the same might be true for family violence. Just trying to understand. I certainly do not want to add any further pain to the experience this woman went through, but violence is never the fault of the victim, no?

I’m glad this woman has been found safe. I’m sad however for Caitlin’s sister. At least this has brought more attention to Caitlin’s case.

“On Tuesday Rachael Denison told DailyMail.com that she thought the mystery woman could be her 19-year-old sister Caitlin who ran off to Midland, Texas, 450 miles from Montgomery, with a man she barely knew in January.

Her family doesn't know his name, and the last thing Caitlin told her sister was 'This guy makes me scared for my life.'“

Suspicious shooting DOORS away from where woman was seen in video half naked ringing doorbells | Daily Mail Online

Do all crime victims have the option of requesting to stay anonymous? Or does LE decide who they identify and who they don’t? Those may be a stupid questions but it has me puzzled a bit why it is important in a domestic violence case that the people involved not be named. Doesn’t that unfairly imply that the victim has something to be ashamed of, and isn’t it that kind of thinking that keeps this sort of crime hidden and in the dark instead of exposed for the absolute wrong that it is? I know traditionally rape victims have not been named unless they specifically give permission, but I did not realize the same might be true for family violence. Just trying to understand. I certainly do not want to add any further pain to the experience this woman went through, but violence is never the fault of the victim, no?

It’s simply due to circumstance. The victim here is still alive and wasn’t a missing person. LE protects victims wherever they can.

I still have so many questions. Why the restraints? What caused her to escape and ring those doorbells the first time? Did she fear he was going to kill her? Was he really her boyfriend or more of a captor?

I accept that it's enough to know she's safe. Still, I wonder.

OK - now I have an issue with this. I usually don't like to question LE too much, but if a neighbor had told police that he saw a white van driving around the neighborhood at around the same time she was ringing door bells, how did they not find her sooner? It was quite obvious she was from the neighborhood. She had on no pants and no shoes. Did they canvas the neighborhood? It's not that big. I'd want to find anyone who owns a white van that lives there and certainly check on the safety of all females from that neighborhood.
In all fairness, we don’t know that they didn’t.

I still have so many questions. Why the restraints? What caused her to escape and ring those doorbells the first time? Did she fear he was going to kill her? Was he really her boyfriend or more of a captor?

I accept that it's enough to know she's safe. Still, I wonder.

I know - it is difficult when a story like this captures the world's attention and you have an emotional investment in the outcome. So many questions we have, but at the end of the day, it is her story to tell or not to tell. I am thinking this poor woman never imagined that after going through a horrific situation it would end like this and in such a public way. Poor lady.

I would say chances are very high that she was the victim of sexual crime. My guess is the PIO was trying to put things as gently as possible by saying “family violence “.

So you have java script turned off? If so that’s why you can’t see the videos on here.

Yes, my JavaScript is turned off. But normally that shouldn't make a link completely disappear like that, but I guess it does now. For example I can see the video player for it on Facebook. I just can't play the video until I turn JavaScript on. But here it's completely invisible. It's like it doesn't even exist.

Thanks for that point.

In most missing persons situations the victim's name and likeness are made public for the purposes of trying to find the victim and hopefully catch the perpetrator. Once the person is found, the media will usually start using the victim's initials or stop referring to him or her entirely to protect their privacy. If the case goes to trial, trial information is public record so we hear about developments that way too. I think we're used to knowing so much about a missing person when we follow these cases that this seems odd. But in general the media doesn't report on cases of domestic violence except for celebrities. It's not really newsworthy and it can revictimize innocent victims.

Last edited:
Mine is on and I can't see the video either.

JavaScript is part of the problem, but there is some bug with the forum too, that is hiding the video. Even without JavaScript you should at least be able to see a link to the Facebook video. It shouldn't just be invisible.

I am very glad she is okay. I'm also disappointed it didn't solve an existing missing person case... though glad she wasn't being held captive for years as well. Very glad she was able to escape, she likely kept this from being a murder/suicide by doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419