TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the replies. That Seattle Times article filled me in really well and I am catching up on the other things now as well.

So who knows more about this guy? He seemed to have a thing for brunettes with dark eyes and traveled to California, east coast and I think Arizona.. Weird.
http://m.ndtv.com/world-news/dating-game-winner-photographer-serial-killer-446090

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rodney Alcala, very scary man. There's a whole thread on him here.

Many of his photos were released to the public to see if the subjects could be identified and hopefully are ok.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...d-Can-You-ID-Any-Of-These-Women-91752849.html

There's one photo of a young man that looks like he's suspended in the air, it's very creepy. I'm not sure if they were able to identify the guy.

I don't see a striking resemblance to the LaBaron mugshot...the eye width/height is completely off, as is the mouth. Maybe if there was more evidence to connect them I'd be more inclined to see a resemblance?

Does anyone else feel like FLEK doesn't look like *any* of the proposed matches/family member theories? Not LaBaron, not Terry Turner, not any of the missing persons? Anyone else banking on an unreported missing person unconnected to a cult or the Turners?

Lately I keep going back to Sandra Hopler, and 18 year old from PA. The only thing that throws me off on any of them is the tea party picture of FLEK's teeth. With Sandra though, her teeth, mouth, eyes and eyebrows look like the earliest pic of FLEK. The width of Sandra's forehead also throws me off.

I wonder if Sandra should be submitted as a potential match. What do you guys think? I did a side by side in an earlier post.

I am going to add a new name to this discussion, Catherine Ford. Her timeline, height and the only photo available (which is very odd) is a very close match in my opinion. Info obtained on Jane Doe Network web site.

I really like this one. Why the heck does she only have one picture? I scoured the net yesterday in between trying to decipher rashes between bulla and vesicles.. Lol
Still could only find that one.

I think if it were her, then the man who served jail time for her disappearance and death would be the first to say "that's her!" Because then it will exonerate his guilty conviction.

Okay after reading a link on Cathy Ford..... I am skeptical that FLEK is her. The convicted police officer was apparently not well liked by his peers and investigators. If Cathy wanted protection from him, I am sure she would have easily been provided it.... rather than faking a death and reinventing herself. She would however have to maintain her disappearance, despite him being in jail, because if she is alive..... he could REALLY be mad at her now (in her mind). I don't know...... it just seems like a really far stretch to me.

Okay after reading a link on Cathy Ford..... I am skeptical that FLEK is her. The convicted police officer was apparently not well liked by his peers and investigators. If Cathy wanted protection from him, I am sure she would have easily been provided it.... rather than faking a death and reinventing herself. She would however have to maintain her disappearance, despite him being in jail, because if she is alive..... he could REALLY be mad at her now (in her mind). I don't know...... it just seems like a really far stretch to me.

Unless she purposefully set it up to look like he was responsible for her disappearance vs the primary motive being wanting protection from him.

Does anyone remember if the guy who says he knew her and went to her house say where he meet her in texas
?

S/S1988
Thread #2
Posts #680 /pg 46

Around march/April 1988 I worked at an establishment with LEK in Irving, TX. I was 17, LEK was 21. LEK advised me she was from Northern California, and she was in the area visiting her Mother for a few months.

Did Velling ever confirm to anyone that SS1988 had actually contacted him? That might be a good way to clear this up once and for all. Two things are really sticking with me from SS1988 posts: Bakersfield is not in Northern California. SS said she had mentioned that she was from Northern California- is there any information leading us that direction?
Also, SS said LEK's mother had been in Texas for a couple years before this, and that LEK was visiting in March or April- up until now we did not have confirmation that she had been in Texas at all prior to July, right?
Finally, SS claimed to be sure that the woman LEK referred to as her mother was her real mother. It is possible that it was an older sibling or an aunt? As dissimilar as family members can look, they can also look very similar. If the "mother" was quite ill, sick enough to be dying, it is quite possible she looked much older than she was.
Just some thoughts.

Did Velling ever confirm to anyone that SS1988 had actually contacted him? That might be a good way to clear this up once and for all. Two things are really sticking with me from SS1988 posts: Bakersfield is not in Northern California. SS said she had mentioned that she was from Northern California- is there any information leading us that direction?
Also, SS said LEK's mother had been in Texas for a couple years before this, and that LEK was visiting in March or April- up until now we did not have confirmation that she had been in Texas at all prior to July, right?
Finally, SS claimed to be sure that the woman LEK referred to as her mother was her real mother. It is possible that it was an older sibling or an aunt? As dissimilar as family members can look, they can also look very similar. If the "mother" was quite ill, sick enough to be dying, it is quite possible she looked much older than she was.
Just some thoughts.

SS If you are reading this. Could you be a little more specific with your information. Are you trying to help us to solve the mystery. It's seems that you know the answer. If we could find out the answers, then we could go on to other cases. At any rate, thank you for your contributions if you are genuine.

Also, SS said that FLEK was 21 in 1988 and they were 17. Did SHE tell them that she was 21, or did they get that age based on these threads? And! Maybe there was a reason she chose BST after all..... there are lots of different things that you have to wait until your 21 for and FLEK wouldn't have to wait long as BST to attain such. Maybe she was looking to substantiate that she was 21? What was the legal drinking age then? What was the legal age to work in a bar / club?

Two things are really sticking with me from SS1988 posts: Bakersfield is not in Northern California.

I don't think that should be a sticking point. Bakersfield is only where the BST birth certificate came from, and then only because LEK (or someone) figured out that the real BST had died in a different state, breaking the connecting between birth and death that might get flagged as suspicious when someone shows up looking for a birth certificate. In other words, Bakersfield is really just an unrelated data point -- it might as well have been Wisconsin or Kentucky.

SS said she had mentioned that she was from Northern California- is there any information leading us that direction?

I believe (from memory) that Blake's family indicated she had no discernible accent. That's mostly consistent with Northern California, barring some specific California-isms. Veiling himself thought she might be from somewhere on the West Coast, for exactly that reason.

What was the legal drinking age then? What was the legal age to work in a bar / club?

The legal drinking age went from 19 to 21 on September 1st, 1986. So yes, that's actually an interesting possibility. That said, from memory I seem to recall that even though the drinking age was 21, you only had to be 18 to work in a place that served alcohol at the time. But take that with a grain of salt -- I may be misremembering.

(I was in Texas around the time the drinking age changed, and was unable to drink there but could drink in other states that had grandfathered 19 year olds during the transition).

Also, SS said that FLEK was 21 in 1988 and they were 17. Did SHE tell them that she was 21, or did they get that age based on these threads? And! Maybe there was a reason she chose BST after all..... there are lots of different things that you have to wait until your 21 for and FLEK wouldn't have to wait long as BST to attain such. Maybe she was looking to substantiate that she was 21? What was the legal drinking age then? What was the legal age to work in a bar / club?

I never thought of the legal age angle before. True, if she needed a new or stolen identity, it would be to her advantage to choose one that was at least 21 years old. Having a new identity from a teenager could have caused barriers for her. e.g. Where I live some people are not allowed to work towards a GED (or get funding to complete a GED) until a certain age or have been out of the regular K-12 school system for a certain amount of years. There are other social issues as well such as trying to rent a place, rent a car (some places will not let you rent a car unless you are 21 and over for insurance purposes).
There are lots more examples.

Hey all, I posted this a while back on the BST thread but there is less traffic over there... There is a marriage record for a BST marrying in 1988 in Las Vegas - to a RWB. Anyone previously done any research on this, or anyone have an ancestry account who might like to? I can see the record on the 'free' part of ancestry but don't have the account to do further investigation of RWB and this particular BST.

The marriage date is September 1988 which means that our BST would have been BST by then (and also would have been LEK by then, but I guess you would say she could have been both). It's just an interesting incidence given Las Vegas and its proximity to where we know FLEK was around that time. I am guessing this has already been researched but I couldn't find mention anywhere, so apologies if this is a double up.

Didn't the Idaho ID make her 19 instead of 21 though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675