TX - Maria Gonzalez, 11, father found her dead underneath a bed in their apt, strangled, SA & beaten, Pasadena, 12 Aug 2023 *Arrest*

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
A Houston-area police department is asking the public for potential leads as it investigates the brutal murder of an 11-year-old girl last weekend.

Maria Gonzalez's father found her dead underneath a bed in their Pasadena apartment on Saturday afternoon, according to the Pasadena Police Department, which said the girl was strangled and beaten to death and also sexually assaulted.

"Obviously, this case is very important to us," Bruegger said Tuesday. "Anytime you have a death, especially a child, one that's been sexually assaulted, very brutal. Obviously, it's also taking a toll on our officers that were out there and made the scene.

Bruegger said the police department did not immediately publicize the case because it was awaiting the results of an autopsy, which was completed Monday. Gonzalez's death was ruled a homicide by the Harris County medical examiner's office, which determined she died from asphyxia caused by strangulation as well as blunt force trauma to the head and neck.

The girl's father, 32-year-old Carmelo Gonzalez, left home for work at about 9:45 a.m. Saturday, according to Bruegger, who said the elder Gonzalez received a text message from his daughter shortly after 10 a.m. saying someone was knocking on the door of their apartment.

"That was the last communication he had with his daughter," Bruegger said.

Carmelo Gonzalez sent subsequent messages to his daughter but did not get any replies, Bruegger said, so at about 1 p.m. he reached out to relatives who also live at the apartment complex and asked them to check on Maria. The girl's aunt and uncle went into the apartment but did not find her, according to Bruegger, who said Maria was discovered by her father when he returned home from work at about 3 p.m.

There were no signs of forced entry at the apartment, where the front door was unlocked but closed when Maria's aunt and uncle went to try to check on her, Bruegger said.

The family is originally from Guatemala, according to Bruegger, who said many other residents of the apartment complex – located at 1004 Main St. in Pasadena – also are from Guatemala. Carmelo Gonzalez and his daughter had lived in apartment No. 24 for the last three months after previously living in Austin as well as Florida, Bruegger said, adding that Maria's mother lives in Guatemala.

Last edited:
1692212570046.jpeg
During the investigation, it was discovered that Maria had been found under a bed by her father, Carmelo Gonzalez, after returning home from work, according to police.

Her father left for work that morning and had been in communication with Maria over the phone, police said.

Shortly after Gonzalez left, police said he received a message from Maria stating someone was knocking at the front door.

In an evening press conference on Tuesday, Chief Josh Bruegger said the father called family members who live at the same apartment complex to check on Maria.

"At this point, the father's alibi checks out, so he is, at this point, not considered a suspect in this investigation," Bruegger said, adding the father and daughter have been living at the apartment for three months. The mother currently lives in Guatemala.

According to Bruegger, they've taken DNA samples from some people in the complex, but getting cooperation has been a challenge.

Last edited:
11-year-old’s body found underneath her bed, strangled, sexually assaulted at Pasadena apartment

The girl texted her father, Carmelo Gonzalez around 10 a.m. Saturday morning that someone was knocking on the door.

"I told her don’t open the door because I am arriving at work, and she responded I am in my bed," Gonzalez explained.
[snip]
When her father came home and began searching for her, he found his little girl's lifeless body, underneath his bed inside of a laundry basket.

"Unfortunately, they left her under the bed in a plastic bag, they left my poor daughter," Gonzalez said.
11-year-old girl found deceased in Pasadena, investigation underway

According to Gonzalez, speaking in Spanish in an interview with KTRK, he asked family members who also lived in the apartment complex to check on Maria, but those family members did not see or hear anything at the scene (the girl’s mother is reportedly living in Guatemala). The father reportedly said that he arrived home five hours after receiving the text about the person knocking on the door. After that, he made the grisly discovery of his daughter dead in a plastic bag inside of a laundry basket under his bed.
Dad comes home from work and finds daughter sexually assaulted and strangled in laundry basket

Arteche lives nearby and, like many, was horrified to hear what happened.

Police said no suspects have been identified. It's unclear if the cameras on the property were working at the time.

Federal investigators are helping Pasadena police investigate what happened. DNA samples have been taken from people who live in the complex, but investigators said they are running into some roadblocks.

"Getting cooperation has been, frankly, somewhat of a challenge," Police Chief Josh Bruegger said.

Arteche, who has daughters himself, took the time to try to talk to residents, hoping to encourage someone to speak up.

"An innocent girl's life was taken for nothing," Arteche said.
Dad says daughter texted that someone was knocking on door before she was found dead in Pasadena

Strange that whoever did this hid her under the bed. I mean, young Maria was home alone. There was no imminent danger of being caught in the act, so apparently didn’t need to hide her to buy some time, IMO. Dunno, it’s strange.

Anyways, so so sorry Maria you didn’t deserve this. Rest in peace, little one.

"It's just unfortunate that this happened, but I know somebody knows something," neighbor Shannon Arteche said.

"Getting cooperation has been, frankly, somewhat of a challenge," Police Chief Josh Bruegger said.

Arteche, who has daughters himself, took the time to try to talk to residents, hoping to encourage someone to speak up.

Strange that whoever did this hid her under the bed. I mean, young Maria was home alone. There was no imminent danger of being caught in the act, so apparently didn’t need to hide her to buy some time, IMO. Dunno, it’s strange.

Agree with this, the location of the body stuck out to me as being odd immediately as well...normally when a body is stashed in a hidden location in the victim's own residence that is because the perpetrator is buying time to dispose of it or buying time until the body is discovered. It usually points to someone, then, who either lives with the victim OR has a traceable reason to be there and so needs time to establish an alibi (not accusing anyone by this statement, just stating what is usually seen). So if LE do not suspect any household members, this act is an odd one and may hold part of the answer as to the killers identity.

I think this is unusual too. Someone took time to hide her little body instead of putting distance.

Agree with this, the location of the body stuck out to me as being odd immediately as well...normally when a body is stashed in a hidden location in the victim's own residence that is because the perpetrator is buying time to dispose of it or buying time until the body is discovered. It usually points to someone, then, who either lives with the victim OR has a traceable reason to be there and so needs time to establish an alibi (not accusing anyone by this statement, just stating what is usually seen). So if LE do not suspect any household members, this act is an odd one and may hold part of the answer as to the killers identity.
Can it possibly signal someone in the complex?

Someone who was trying to "buy time" either to establish an alibi etc as you wrote of. Someone who knew that dad/daughter kept in contact while he was at work (article mentions they had spoke on the phone and then that she had texted him that morning) and knew that dad would send his relatives who lived in the same complex over to do a welfare check on her when she failed to respond?

No forced entry so I think it’s someone who definitely knew her. Poor girl. I’m guessing dad locked the door when he left. When I was that age I never answered the door unless it was someone I knew. My kids didn’t either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back