Found Alive TX - Melissa Highsmith, 21 mos, Fort Worth, 23 Aug 1971 *found alive in 2022*

I was looking at another case and came across a reply on this facebook page https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150117879408312.331021.357719023311&type=1 from a Mary Shehrami who says she was taken to Iran in 1972 and she only has a picture at a young age to try to match up. The picture on her profile (I am assuming her) reminds me of Melissa but also looks a lot like her sisters pic at that age. Not sure what all I can post without breaking the rules but if someone would like to see the pic comparisons let me know.

Her resemblance to the sketch made my hair stand up. Not a lot of people look like that.

I was looking at another case and came across a reply on this facebook page https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150117879408312.331021.357719023311&type=1 from a Mary Shehrami who says she was taken to Iran in 1972 and she only has a picture at a young age to try to match up. The picture on her profile (I am assuming her) reminds me of Melissa but also looks a lot like her sisters pic at that age. Not sure what all I can post without breaking the rules but if someone would like to see the pic comparisons let me know.

It's hard to know who has really been kidnapped from the US and taken over-seas. We had someone posting on Caledonia Jane Doe's FB page that they were with Tammy until the trucker got weird. When LE went to their house to question them, it turned out to be a lie. Some people are trolls, they just want attention.

If someone feels they have been kidnapped, they really should speak to LE. They should also do their DNA at Family Tree or 23 and me to see if they get a family match.

I'm Melissa's brother. I've always dreamed of one day finding her. I started trying again to investigate her case s little over a month ago. I've found my mom's roommate, when Melissa was kidnapped. Shes lives here in Texas. I pray every day God opens a door to help me find my sister

I'm Melissa's brother. I've always dreamed of one day finding her. I started trying again to investigate her case s little over a month ago. I've found my mom's roommate, when Melissa was kidnapped. Shes lives here in Texas. I pray every day God opens a door to help me find my sister
Email me @ Crimeblogger1983@gmail.com

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

48 years after disappearance of Dallas child, family continues to search for her

Aug 23, 2019 article.

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

@Melissas brother , this is the link to the Verified Insider process. We'd love to know what you & your family have tried in your search for your oldest sister!

Have you tried 23&Me or Ancestry?

I agree, those with a missing child family member should do Ancestry, it's on sale for $For Black Friday do 23 and me when it's the cheapest.

I suggest Ancestry 1st because they have the largest database. My Heritage has been making a lot of matches for people who didn't know they had a different parent or new sibling. They're cheap at $49 on sale so a lot of people do it for that reason alone. As I said, you can upload for free so don't spend the money on a test. See the links below for more info

Family tree and DNA general instructions
Directions to upload to my heritage

Melissa Suzanne Highsmith
melissa_suzanne_highsmith_1.jpg
melissa_suzanne_highsmith_2.jpg
melissa_suzanne_highsmith_5.jpg
melissa_suzanne_highsmith_6.jpg
melissa_suzanne_highsmith_9.jpg

Melissa, circa 1971; Age-progression to age 42 (circa 2011); Suspect sketch

• Missing Since 08/23/1971
  • Missing From Fort Worth, Texas
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 11/06/1969 (50)
  • Age 1 year old
  • Height and Weight 2'8, 27 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown/hazel eyes. Melissa has a three-inch red-colored birthmark on her back, just below her neck.
Details of Disappearance

Melissa's mother, Alta Highsmith, advertised for a babysitter for her in August of 1971. At 7:30 a.m. on August 23, a woman who called herself "Ruth Johnson" answered the ad.

Johnson and Alta made plans to meet each other at Alta's place of work, but Johnson did not arrive. She called Alta later, and was hired sight unseen. She stated she had a nice house with a large backyard and cared for other children.

Johnson went to Alta and Melissa's apartment at Spanish Gate Apartments on on east Seminary Drive in south Fort Worth, Texas at 7:30 a.m. on August 23. Alta had already left for work, and Johnson met Alta's roommate instead. The roommate stated Johnson was well-dressed and wore white gloves.

Johnson took away Melissa, some diapers and Melissa's pink dress and white sandals. When she did not return Melissa by 8:00 p.m. that day, Alta contacted the police.

A sketch of the babysitter is posted with this case summary. She has never been identified and Ruth Johnson was probably not her real name. Authorities believed the baby was taken by someone who wanted to raise a child, but this theory has never been proven.

Both of Melissa's parents were investigated in their daughter's disappearance. They were divorced in 1971 and the child's father lived in Illinois. They subsequently reconciled and had three additional children before separating again in 1998.

No serious leads have ever been developed in Melissa's abduction, but the case was reopened in late 2005 at the request of her sister. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Fort Worth Police Department 817-335-4222
Source Information

"I didn't like the idea of not meeting her, but that's just the way it happened. ... I think of all the mistakes I made. It's too late to go back."
I really think it's very likely Alta knew the kidnapper. "Ruth Johnson" only contacted her through the phone (and could have been other person), but they never saw each other...
I wonder if she/he was an old neighbour, a client from the restaurant or something like that, someone who Alta would have been able to identify even with a disguise.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back