Identified! TX - Midland, living Male, 13-17, can't communicate his name, found near Ward & Shandon, 30 Jan 2023 - Cordarius Lashun Pegues

I am glad she seems to be on top of it and caring for this poor kiddo. I don't think he's Adji, either. I'm just so glad he was able to be found by police before freezing to death, someone knowing he was vulnerable and trying to somehow take advantage of him, or being struck by a car.

I thought she handled that really well. Some of the reporter questions I couldn't hear, because my speakers are garbage, but what I could hear seemed very smoothly answered and delivered.

So, the items like the balls and helmet he was found with, but they think he picked them up as he wandered, rather than bringing them from his home.

I thought it interesting that she deflected from the question about using devices etc. to communicate with him. It was the only moment I felt she really stonewalled and refused to answer. I would imagine they are trying to use both devices and sign language. Those are the things most commonly used with nonspeaking people for two-way communication. He may not have responded to either, or his responses may not have been any use in helping to determine identity. For example, his commuication may be limited to requests for food, tv, drink, toilet, and communicating pain, discomfort, tiredness, etc. So much of what language is taught to nonspeaking people is purely about base-level needs. He wouldn't necessarily know or know how to communicate his location, his family structure, etc. That's a different kind of information. If you don't know how to express it, it can be impossible to communicate it to another person.

Good to know they're doing the DNA comparison with the missing boy from Florida thoroughly, even though they don't think it's Adji. Sad the weather is holding the testing up, but you can't argue with weather. Not fair to expect the DNA techs to come to work if it's unsafe. Hopefully the snow clears up a bit, soon.
Well there is also a matter of observing the boundary between divulging information relevant to public inquiry vs divulging protected personal medical information. Disclosing that he is non-speaking was pertinent to helping identify him - but whether or not he has been offered or is capable of using a digital AAC device… that introduces a complication because an adaptive communication device is technically directly related to his disability and whether or not he can or does utilize adaptive technology is not likely to increase the probability of successfully identifying him. Therefore the public’s interest in whether or not they have offered it does not justify breaching his personal privacy. This may be why she hesitated.

Well there is also a matter of observing the boundary between divulging information relevant to public inquiry vs divulging protected personal medical information. Disclosing that he is non-speaking was pertinent to helping identify him - but whether or not he has been offered or is capable of using a digital AAC device… that introduces a complication because an adaptive communication device is technically directly related to his disability and whether or not he can or does utilize adaptive technology is not likely to increase the probability of successfully identifying him. Therefore the public’s interest in whether or not they have offered it does not justify breaching his personal privacy. This may be why she hesitated.
That's a valid point and not one I had considered.

I have been trying to spread this young man’s story around in some national education and therapy Facebook groups. At least one doctor, teacher and speech therapist all know this young man. I think he must be from another part of the country. At least he is being cared for properly by empathetic people. Imo

I have been trying to spread this young man’s story around in some national education and therapy Facebook groups. At least one doctor, teacher and speech therapist all know this young man. I think he must be from another part of the country. At least he is being cared for properly by empathetic people. Imo
Maybe share that with the tip line if you can.

The mental health system is extremely broken. I'm wondering if his caretaker wasnt equipped to care for him and was unable to get assistance. This may be a last ditch effort to get him the help he needs. Behaviors that may have been manageable when he was younger may not be manageable now due to his size.

I'm still so troubled no one has come forward to say they know him, or even that they THINK they know of him.

If you dig into the name Cordarius a bit, it is not common. There are not large numbers of people of any age with the name. Right there, they should be able to narrow it down--i.e. if his name is Cordarius and he is from Texas and is roughly a teenager, OK how many options for his identity? Branch that out a bit, and who would be options? Then factor in his disabilities, etc.

Something else is going on here, obviously. I do not think it is as simple as an overwhelmed caregiver, or medical event. Poor kid.

I'm still so troubled no one has come forward to say they know him, or even that they THINK they know of him.

If you dig into the name Cordarius a bit, it is not common. There are not large numbers of people of any age with the name. Right there, they should be able to narrow it down--i.e. if his name is Cordarius and he is from Texas and is roughly a teenager, OK how many options for his identity? Branch that out a bit, and who would be options? Then factor in his disabilities, etc.

Something else is going on here, obviously. I do not think ithis as simple as an overwhelmed caregiver, or medical event. Poor kid.

LE does not need to tell us everything imho.

We know there is a pediatrician's office, perhaps that office has contacted LE & the whole legal release of information and search for legal guardians is underway.

Same for the school or speech/language professional/speech therapist.

As mentioned above, there are limits to information sharing that protect the youth & the family.

LE and the juvenile court may know quite a lot about this young man by now.

We know he is safe & cared for in the temporary legal custody of the State of Texas.

We may never know anything more.

I am so glad they found this child before something worse happened, so often they are found too late in situations like this He deserves a chance and I'm so glad so many people want to help.

I feel like schools or community programs like Boys and Girls Club will be the key here. Even homeschooled children attend homeschool co ops, church school co ops, church, other activities or places that offer childcare.

LE does not need to tell us everything imho.

We know there is a pediatrician's office, perhaps that office has contacted LE & the whole legal release of information and search for legal guardians is underway.

Same for the school or speech/language professional/speech therapist.

As mentioned above, there are limits to information sharing that protect the youth & the family.

LE and the juvenile court may know quite a lot about this young man by now.

We know he is safe & cared for in the temporary legal custody of the State of Texas.

We may never know anything more.
Sure thing.

This does not have anything to do with neighbors, friends, other kids, random people in the community, just anyone out there publicly commenting on news articles, press videos, etc. though. I've seen people mention the possibility of Adji Desir several times. There may be others saying this looks like a young man who used to attend their church, or who they have seen at McDonalds on Friday nights or something like that, but I have not seen this, have any of you? Nothing of the sort was shared as a possible lead--even anything like he may have been seen earlier that day or week or ___. It is as if he just appeared in the alley, from thin air. Which is incredibly strange and sad.

Speculation on my part:
Perhaps, Cordarius is not from Midland or Odessa. Perhaps he is from a nearby, rural area or even, New Mexico.
Cordarius may have been being taken care of by an elderly relative who could no longer care for him.
Midland is considered by many as a rich city.
Perhaps the hope was that he would find a better life there.

If someone was overwhelmed and abandoned him, he could have been driven to Midland or possibly put on a bus? This young man seems to have a roughly similar profile to my son and I’m wondering if he could have been sent on a bus but certainly not transfer to another bus on his own. I wonder what cities have direct routes to Midland. Actually could be a combination of drive and bus though which still leaves it wide open!

If someone was overwhelmed and abandoned him, he could have been driven to Midland or possibly put on a bus? This young man seems to have a roughly similar profile to my son and I’m wondering if he could have been sent on a bus but certainly not transfer to another bus on his own. I wonder what cities have direct routes to Midland. Actually could be a combination of drive and bus though which still leaves it wide open!
Anyone know if there's a Greyhound station in Midland or close? I'm not familiar with Texas geography.
I am interested with the idea of him being driving to a bus station with a ticket to another city by someone who felt they could no longer take care of him.

Anyone know if there's a Greyhound station in Midland or close? I'm not familiar with Texas geography.
I am interested with the idea of him being driving to a bus station with a ticket to another city by someone who felt they could no longer take care of him.
I think that it would become clear very quickly to a driver that he was profoundly disabled and unattended. It was clear to the people who rang the police, and to the police when they arrived. It has never come out that he was manhandled and arrested or suspected of being intoxicated, like many young Black boys in need of help sadly often are. I think he would have been memorable to a driver, and that driver would have come forward by now.

All MOO.

I think that it would become clear very quickly to a driver that he was profoundly disabled and unattended. It was clear to the people who rang the police, and to the police when they arrived. It has never come out that he was manhandled and arrested or suspected of being intoxicated, like many young Black boys in need of help sadly often are. I think he would have been memorable to a driver, and that driver would have come forward by now.

All MOO.
Sorry, I wrote what I meant incorrectly - I meant that maybe a caretaker drove him themselves and abandoned him at a bus station with a ticket. I definitely agree that it would be obvious that he was disabled and in need of support.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back