TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you all remember any other cases in Texas where the alleged murdered who had also used a gun and fled the country to escape capture was to able to receive bail and pay the bond, released and was put on house arrest with a gps monitor ? Is this the way it’s always done in Texas? Is the any way a judge can revoke her bail before she makes it? I live in a state that does not allow bail for people charged with murder and I’m really shocked about Texas. ^^bbm

In this case, given KA used a weapon to murder MW, seems she would have either needed another felony conviction on her record, was on bail for a felony, or on felony probation when she killed MW, to be denied bond.

If prior cases exist where examples cited by OP were denied bond, it would likely be because the Texas Constitution made it happen. At this time, I'm not aware of the date the following 4 exemptions were actually adopted.

The Texas Constitution (Section 11a) sets out the following four exceptions where a murderer shall NOT be bondable:
  1. If a defendant is charged with a felony and has been convicted of two prior felonies at two different times
  2. If a defendant has been charged with a felony while on bail for a felony for which he has been indicted
  3. If a defendant has been charged of committing a felony with a deadly weapon AND has been convicted of a prior felony; or
  4. If a defendant has been accused of murder, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated robbery, aggravated sexual assault, sexual assault, or indecency with a child while on felony probation.
If any of these four circumstances apply, the State has seven days to ask the judge for a hearing to hold the defendant without bond.

If, at the hearing, the judge finds that one of these four circumstances applies and (for circumstances 1 and 3 only) if evidence is also presented substantially showing the defendant’s guilt, the judge can order the defendant held without bond for sixty days.

But after sixty days, the no bond order is set aside and the judge must set a bond.

I wonder if KA's sister gave up her apartment/housing when she left Austin to go to Camp Haven in NY state. If not, then perhaps KA would stay there, while CS is in New York for the summmer. This would allow time for longer-term living arrangements (if needed) while KA is waiting for her trial.

Edited to add: If CA is not charged with anything, then I think they could probably live together. If CA is charged with a crime, it is probably best for her to not live with KA.
I know in my state they can place bond restrictions. Like the person facing trial can not travel out of the city or within 50 miles of their home. They can’t associate or have any contact with others charged with the same crime. I’m hoping we will see more charges added - using a fraudulent passport and traveling under the name of someone else. If CA is charged with helping her sister escape - in my state - KA and CA would not be allowed contact. But I’m finding Texas is so very different.

Last edited:
“The U.S. Marshals claim to have received dozens of tips indicating Armstrong would be in Costa Rica.”

I wonder who these were?

Maybe people who knew she had been to Costa Rica before and figured she might be there?
Possibly former clients of hers in Austin with whom KA mentoned having been to Costa Rica to study/teach yoga?

Here’s another thing I’m wondering. If CA helped KA - there HAD to be some correspondence between them before KA traveled to her sister’s location. I’m hoping the LE has that correspondence or is working on it. Emails, texts, social media private messaging, snap chats - even phone logs. I hope they acted quickly and got them.

Edited to add - KA prolly got a burner phone right away.

Looks like the State filed a motion to increase bond and requested a hearing on Friday, 7/1!

Great! I am very happy to see this. Like someone else here, I too live in a state where bond can be denied a person charged with first degree murder, and usually is. Does anyone know if there is a maximum dollar amount a bond can be set at in Texas?

Art. 17.15. RULES FOR SETTING AMOUNT OF BAIL.

(a) The amount of bail and any conditions of bail to be required in any case in which the defendant has been arrested are to be regulated by the court, judge, magistrate, or officer taking the bail in accordance with Articles 17.20, 17.21, and 17.22 and are governed by the Constitution and the following rules:

1. Bail and any conditions of bail shall be sufficient to give reasonable assurance that the undertaking will be complied with.

2. The power to require bail is not to be used to make bail an instrument of oppression.

3. The nature of the offense and the circumstances under which the offense was committed are to be considered, including whether the offense:

(A) is an offense involving violence as defined by Article 17.03; or
(B) involves violence directed against a peace officer.

4. The ability to make bail shall be considered, and proof may be taken on this point.

5. The future safety of a victim of the alleged offense, law enforcement, and the community shall be considered.

6. The criminal history record information for the defendant, including information obtained through the statewide telecommunications system maintained by the Department of Public Safety and through the public safety report system developed under Article 17.021, shall be considered, including any acts of family violence, other pending criminal charges, and any instances in which the defendant failed to appear in court following release on bail.

7. The citizenship status of the defendant shall be considered.
(a-1) Notwithstanding any other law, the duties imposed by Subsection (a)(6) with respect to obtaining and considering information through the public safety report system do not apply until April 1, 2022. This subsection expires June 1, 2022.

(c) In this article, "family violence" has the meaning assigned by Section 71.004, Family Code.

Amended by:
Acts 2021, 87th Leg., 2nd C.S., Ch. 11 (S.B. 6), Sec. 10(a), eff. December 2, 2021.

Great! I am very happy to see this. Like someone else here, I too live in a state where bond can be denied a person charged with first degree murder, and usually is. Does anyone know if there is a maximum dollar amount a bond can be set at in Texas?
According to this Texas firm (bbm):

In Texas, every court has a bond schedule that guides the judges on bail, depending on the type of crime. However, the judges and magistrates are free to adjust the amount, depending on the case. The common factors that the court uses to determine the bail amount are:

• The severity of the case
  • Whether the defendant was out on bail during the arrest
  • Whether the defendant may be a risk to society
  • Whether the defendant has prior criminal convictions
  • Whether the defendant is on probation due to another crime conviction
  • Whether the defendant is considered a flight risk

I know and relate. Solidarity with you. Though as I said before IMO KA hid the extent of her violent potential when it served her, I’d be willing to bet there was a fair amount of mess & fixation apparent to perceptive folk.
I finally had a chance to read up the Goylar case. Oh my stars! Frightening as all get out! She even killed her own pets! It gave me nightmares last night. I once had a woman so jealous and so very angry at me for no reason other than her partner was a paid instructor of mine. The first call she made to me - I quit the class. But she kept hounding me for months and accusing me of things I didn’t do. I was there to learn a new skill - in a public setting with other people around, not take her BF. The man later told my husband that from then on he was not allowed to ever have a female student in his class ever again. I was scared of that woman for years. Crazy eyes and everything. I thought she was going to break into our house or Id find my animals hanging from trees. Women’s insecurities and jealousy can get the best of them!! After reading that above case - I’m so creeped out! The things humans do! UGH!

Kaitlin Armstrong’s attorney and sister have not yet responded to messages left for them by FOX reporters

I wonder if they will???
Her sister, Christine Armstrong, did not respond to messages seeking comment -- nor has she been charged with a crime.…
Armstrong’s attorney did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Monday, the Fourth of July holiday.

Great bump. I posted this exact update yesterday. The silence by her sister & attorney is interesting! Maybe she'll be back in Austin soon or the delay will be explained?

CRIMINAL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:22-mj-00515-SH-1​

On 5/25/22, KA was charged in US District Court, Western District of TX (Austin), pursuant to:

18 US Code § 1073 - Flight to avoid prosecution

Richard Lyn Cofer, filed attorney notice of appearance on 7/2/22, and
Naomi Howard, P.C. filed attorney notice of appearance on 7/4/22.

Glad to see this.

Driving and hiding in someone else's apartment in the same vicinity to avoid prosecution is one thing,

Committing passport fraud and having a complete plan to depart the US and live with false identification, and altering your appearance is multiple levels higher in the "flight" part of the infraction.

It's like the old mobsters leaving NYC and trying to burn or mutilate their fingertips to avoid connection with murders.

IMHO, she deserves no bond or if necessary, a very high bond. I also think she is a flight risk and possibly a suicide ( or faked suicide) risk. And, she should be absolutely banned from any contact with the person whose identity she tried to assume by the passport and plastic surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa