TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder also, even though the Jeep was sold to a CarMax and they did a detailed cleaning. I wonder if there’s any chance there is evidence still left in KA’s jeep. Like gunshot residue on the steering wheel? I may not know what I’m talking about. How long does residue last? And how easily is it cleaned?

Well, if she was shooting from a close distance, maybe, blood?

Probably not useful, but here's a detail that's bugged me for which I'd like more info. Why did the property owner open the garage door only partially? This just so happened to be the exact moment they heard someone run down the stairs of the property. I know this is likely just a weird coincidence, but it's bothered me. Why would one only open the garage door partially at that time of night? Were they planning to open it ALL the way, to back their car out, but then heard something and only opened it partially? And what did they do after they heard someone run down the stairs and speed off on a bike? Go about their business? Just seems weird and I'd like to know more. If it were my property, I'd have checked in upstairs to make sure all was good with my property and tenant.

He may not have thought much of it at the time, but only in retrospect when he knew what had happened.

It's not unusual to open a garage door only partially if you are working in the garage. I do this often, it lets in a breeze if it is hot outside, or if you are going in and out through the garage door, you don't have to keep opening and closing it, just duck under the open area, but partially open gives me access to go in and out while still having privacy from people who might be walking by.

Probably not useful, but here's a detail that's bugged me for which I'd like more info. Why did the property owner open the garage door only partially? This just so happened to be the exact moment they heard someone run down the stairs of the property. I know this is likely just a weird coincidence, but it's bothered me. Why would one only open the garage door partially at that time of night? Were they planning to open it ALL the way, to back their car out, but then heard something and only opened it partially? And what did they do after they heard someone run down the stairs and speed off on a bike? Go about their business? Just seems weird and I'd like to know more. If it were my property, I'd have checked in upstairs to make sure all was good with my property and tenant.
It bothered me, too. But I don’t know what can be done about it.

@SMK777 thanks for that excellent time line. Now I know that MW and CS were at Deep Eddy pool (very cold water on a hot day) and not across Lady Bird Lake at Barton Springs. Deep Eddy is a regular swimming pool; it would be hard but not impossible to spy on those swimming without detection if KA was stalking and spying or even just following CS on the motorcycle.

The most distressing thing to me is that MW was clinging to life, suffering but unable to call for help if conscious.

Also, the detail that likely KA took MW's bike and threw it in the bushes is simply beyond weird. I'm sure there's major psychological significance (jealous rage?) there, considering that all three (KA, CS, MW) were cyclists, but KA was a recreational cyclist while MW and CS were pros.
BBM. I always thought the bike thing was a rage thing, too. CS made it clear that he admired MW's cycling talent while KA was just a "participant" who slowed him down. I'm sure that KA was aware of this. And cycling is where CS and MW (presumably) met while KA was on the fringes. It is my thought that KA saw the bike as an extension of MW and that after shooting MW, she was in such a rage that she just grabbed the bike and threw it in the bushes.

@SMK777 thanks for that excellent time line. Now I know that MW and CS were at Deep Eddy pool (very cold water on a hot day) and not across Lady Bird Lake at Barton Springs. Deep Eddy is a regular swimming pool; it would be hard but not impossible to spy on those swimming without detection if KA was stalking and spying or even just following CS on the motorcycle.

The most distressing thing to me is that MW was clinging to life, suffering but unable to call for help if conscious.

Also, the detail that likely KA took MW's bike and threw it in the bushes is simply beyond weird. I'm sure there's major psychological significance (jealous rage?) there, considering that all three (KA, CS, MW) were cyclists, but KA was a recreational cyclist while MW and CS were pros.
Sorry, double post.

My thoughts too... she was in a rage so strong she murdered a young woman, then to go home to the source of the rage? He had lived with her for years, I am sure he had to sense something! What transpired on the next days as they were questioned... surely at some point CS had to realize KA was being looked at for the murder.

He might not be a very sensitive person to start with.
From his point, he went to see a woman who his gf was jealous about, and lied to cover it up. He was anxious to get away with own lie. He called KA 3 times once he drove away from MO’s house. Once KA came home, CS was working at his bike; it is possible that KA went upstairs, threw clothes into the washing machine, got under the shower. CS, in the meantime, could be happy to not be asked more questions.

He might not be a very sensitive person to start with.
From his point, he went to see a woman who his gf was jealous about, and lied to cover it up. He was anxious to get away with own lie. He called KA 3 times once he drove away from MO’s house. Once KA came home, CS was working at his bike; it is possible that KA went upstairs, threw clothes into the washing machine, got under the shower. CS, in the meantime, could be happy to not be asked more questions.
Good thoughts

Regarding the person who told LE that KA was shaking and wanted to kill Mo, did LE specifically state that the informant refused to identify themselves? Or perhaps LE could be stating anonymous because they want to protect the informant?

Here is the thing. That informant is probably not a mandatory informer, however, didn’t the person warn CS, Mo or someone in the cycling community when they heard it?. The girl at whose house Mo was staying planned to talk to Mo about CS. Returned home for it. Did she know about CS’s reputation, or did she mention his jealous gf? They always mention that it is a small community (of gravel cyclists), didn’t rumors circulate there about CS’s gf?

Here is the thing. That informant is probably not a mandatory informer, however, didn’t the person warn CS, Mo or someone in the cycling community when they heard it?. The girl at whose house Mo was staying planned to talk to Mo about CS. Returned home for it. Did she know about CS’s reputation, or did she mention his jealous gf? They always mention that it is a small community (of gravel cyclists), didn’t rumors circulate there about CS’s gf?
It sounded that way to me, yes. That the roommate wanted to talk to MW about her seeing CS.

Need more facts - perhaps, burglary (the bike).
I was wondering if they could be going for the burglary angle. While the police have not released any incriminating footage of KA taking the bike, if they do have such footage or DNA evidence, that could be the way to go.

KA dug out an old passport?
The original poster was incorrect. Neither passport was expired.

It may have been one of those things where the informant thought at the time it was just an expression of speech and noted that KA was extremely angry, but never thought she would be capable of murder, enough to take the next step to warn anyone. But then after there was a murder, looking back in hindsight, those "comments" suddenly take on a new like and are very damning.

The thing is, that particular caller/witness (the one who advised that KA wanted to kill MW) was anonymous and refused to be identified. They didn't just request to be anonymous. So I would think that would have to be substantiated in order to escalate a charge?

There's another part of the affidavit where another witness, "Jane" (the one who advised that MW had an on again, off again romantic relationship with CS, once again contradicting his self serving statement of his "one week" relationship), that witness requested to be anonymous so she was given a pseudonym in the affidavit. But LE likely has her real information. The caller who anonymously reported KA's comments and rage toward MW, did not disclose their identity to LE. That may have been enough for an arrest warrant, combined with all the other evidence, but I don't know if that claim would stand up in court without more evidence or proof that KA said those things.

I don't think this is the case at all, but for all anyone knows (or what the defense could argue), it could have been a friend of CS or MW, or someone with an agenda, etc etc.
Right! Even CS could be the "anonymous" caller!

I always mistakenly think of burglary as requiring theft. In Texas, “burglary” only requires entry into a building with bad intent, without the effective consent of the owner. See Texas Penal Code Section 30.02.

Sec. 30.02. BURGLARY. (a) A person commits an offense if, without the effective consent of the owner, the person:

(1) enters a habitation, or a building (or any portion of a building) not then open to the public, with intent to commit a felony, theft, or an assault; or

(2) remains concealed, with intent to commit a felony, theft, or an assault, in a building or habitation; or

(3) enters a building or habitation and commits or attempts to commit a felony, theft, or an assault.

(b) For purposes of this section, "enter" means to intrude:

(1) any part of the body; or

(2) any physical object connected with the body.

So the prosecution wouldn’t have to prove theft of the bicycle, though that would be helpful. I guess a potential hurdle is that perhaps MW invited KA to enter the residence.

I wonder if the person who owned the apartment where MW stayed in Austin went back to her house to show Mo how to use the digital lock, as she wouldn't want to put this information in a text. It may not have been about CS at all.

But I assume we will find out more about this when she takes the stand during KA's trial, if there is one, which I assume there will be.

Thinking like a defense attorney for a moment: It's still hypothetically possible that her boyfriend killed this girl with her gun and she walked in on it after the fact. Not sleuthing him or implying his guilt, just thinking about the trial. Realizing she was framed she fled.

Does LE really have the timing down that precisely that it couldn't be him?

He may not have thought much of it at the time, but only in retrospect when he knew what had happened.

It's not unusual to open a garage door only partially if you are working in the garage. I do this often, it lets in a breeze if it is hot outside, or if you are going in and out through the garage door, you don't have to keep opening and closing it, just duck under the open area, but partially open gives me access to go in and out while still having privacy from people who might be walking by.
He might have just been putting the mower in there, so all he'd need was half the door open.

I seriously see Armstrong receiving LWOP if convicted due to the stalking & premeditation in the murder of Moriah Wilson.

I wonder if her lawyer could dispute the "stalking" charge by arguing that she was looking for her live-in boyfriend, and not MW. I think he might be able to argue this, that KA was looking for her cheating boyfriend's motorcycle or car at the house where MW was staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard