TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Cash found it necessary to go home and talk to MW about meeting CS after she received MW’s text (stated in AA), don’t you think MW had confided in her about the situation with CS & KA and she would have told APD after she found her good friend shot to death in her house?

We don't know how much information MW shared with CC, other than she was going swimming with CS. It is possible, of course, that MW had confided that she was having issues with KA regarding her relationship with CS, and that CC mentioned this to LE. I thought perhaps you had seen this information in MSM or the AA. Just curious.

Last edited:
OP here. I was working with the information provided in your email, above, regarding the 8 pm time of the search warrant and your statement about the search warrant 24 hours after the incident, both timelines from your post bolded by me in the above.
Huh? I've not exchanged any emails with OP.

I apologize if my post referenced was unclear so let me restate: when discussing why CS was not searched for gunshot residue, I specifically provided it appeared that a search warrant was issued for CS DNA after 8 pm.

This does not and should not imply that no other search warrants were executed or no evidence was collected by investigators before 8 PM on 5/12!

Again, Article 18.02 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure is a good reference for Search Warrants.

Last edited:
Huh? I've not exchanged any emails with OP.

I apologize if my post referenced was unclear so let me restate: when discussing why CS was not searched for gunshot residue, I specifically provided it appeared that a search warrant was issued for CS DNA after 8 pm.

This does not and should not imply that no other search warrants were executed or no evidence was collected by investigators before 8 PM on 5/12!

Again, Article 18.02 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure is a good reference for Search Warrants.

Right. In "Search Warrant SW22104043: Colin Strickland, Deoxyribonucleic Acid - Buccal Swab - saliva sample and/or Deoxyribonucleic Acid - blood draw sample - whole blood - Issued by a Judge on May 12, 2022, at 8:08 pm, City of Austin Municipal Court - County of Travis, Texas" - the search warrant was issued on May 12, but in the actual search warrant it says that MW's friend and host gave verbal consent to search her residence. So LE was already collecting evidence and building a case for probable cause to conduct other searches.

They also discovered the black jeep on camera before any search warrants were issued.

ETA: That warrant also says LE found Strickland's house and observed Strickland and Armstrong going in and out. It doesn't specify when that time period of observation was or how long they had them under surveillance. The warrant only specifically states that the detective made first contact with Strickland at 9:20am on May 12, 2022. But they were observing them before that.

At the moment I have neither sufficient time or energy to search, but I distinctly recall reading that LE said ballistics testing matched the bullets at the crime scene to the gun at KA and CS’s home.

How does the defense get around that?

EDIT:
Here it is:

Detectives continued to build their case against Armstrong even as she was planning her departure after the interview with police. On May 17, they issued an arrest warrant after they said they matched ballistics evidence from the scene to a 9 mm handgun owned by Armstrong. By then, Armstrong had left Austin. The next day, she left the country, landing in Costa Rica.

Last edited:
Seems like a big conflict of interest to me. MOO.
You know, he’s since KA and Cofer have attorney client privilege when they speak in person or over the phone, he COULD speak to KA while CA is sitting in his office and let KA and CA talk without the jail recording the conversation. I’m not saying he’s doing that, but nothing surprises me anymore.

ETA: That warrant also says LE found Strickland's house and observed Strickland and Armstrong going in and out. It doesn't specify when that time period of observation was or how long they had them under surveillance. The warrant only specifically states that the detective made first contact with Strickland at 9:20am on May 12, 2022. But they were observing them before that.
^^rsbm

Great post @scdiv. Now that this case seems to be on the fast track to trial, perhaps we need a **MEDIA ONLY** thread to track reported facts and be reminded of the hours APD poured into this murder investigation, and all the potential evidence collected.

While it's Cofer's job from day one is to create reasonable doubt (i.e., blame everybody but KA), I personally find it difficult when the defense counsel's prepared soundbite is accepted as fact-- including RC's shade thrown at detectives and the investigation. MOO

By Michael Ruiz
Published July 14, 2022

[..]

Search warrants obtained by Fox News Digital reveal a new look at how Austin police quickly zeroed in on Armstrong as a suspect before she allegedly led investigators on an international manhunt ending in a Costa Rica beach town. They also reveal new gruesome details about the slaying.

Documents revealed Armstrong’s boyfriend, 35-year-old pro cyclist Colin Strickland, initially denied knowing the victim, a 25-year-old fellow riding pro, to detectives when they first interviewed him after the murder.

[..]

Police obtained search warrants for Strickland’s DNA, his phone, two phones belonging to Armstrong, her MacBook Pro and a house she owned in Austin that is different from where she lived with Strickland.

One of the warrants states that Strickland texted Armstrong right after dropping off Wilson at 8:36 p.m., a minute before police say her Jeep showed up on surveillance video outside the crime scene. It also alleges that Armstrong arrived home shortly after 9:21 p.m.

The warrants state that Strickland’s version of events was corroborated by surveillance video. He did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Updated: Jul 12, 2022 / 03:32 PM CDT

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin Police Department filed a search warrant Monday for an email account associated with Kaitlin Armstrong. Police believe Armstrong used the account as she was fleeing Austin. She is charged with murder in the death of pro-cyclist Moriah “Mo” Wilson

The search warrant revealed some of what happened after Armstrong allegedly shot and killed Wilson. The pro-cyclist was in town, staying with a friend in Austin, ahead of a race.

[..]

That prepaid card was what Armstrong used to pay for a trip with a ride service to the airport, court documents say. That was on May 13.

That is also how police found an email account they believe was used by Armstrong. Police filed a search warrant for that account Monday.

Yes, the Cycling News article alone listed 5 different search warrants (and one Affidavit and application for Arrest Warrant). I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones referenced in the article's timeline:

Moriah Wilson: The key events around the gravel star's shooting

Warrants​

1) Affidavit for a Search Warrant SW22104041: Manchester Circle, South Austin property owned by Kaitlin Armstrong - Issued by a Judge on May 12, 2022, at 6:57 pm, City of Austin Municipal Court - County of Travis, Texas.

2) Search Warrant SW22104043: Colin Strickland, Deoxyribonucleic Acid - Buccal Swab - saliva sample and/or Deoxyribonucleic Acid - blood draw sample - whole blood - Issued by a Judge on May 12, 2022, at 8:08 pm, City of Austin Municipal Court - County of Travis, Texas.

3) Search Warrant SW22104050: phone owned by Colin Strickland - Issued by a Judge on May 13, 2022, at 2:01 pm, City of Austin Municipal Court - County of Travis, Texas.

4) Search Warrant SW22104063: phone identified under APD Evidence Tag # and phone, identified under APD Evidence Tag #, both owned by Kaitlin Armstrong. Issued by a Judge on May 16, 2022, at 10:05 am City of Austin Municipal Court - County of Travis, Texas.

5) Affidavit and application for Arrest Warrant DIDC22301129: Kaitlin Marie Armstrong - Issued by a Judge on May 17, 2022 at 10:40 pm and filed on May 19, 2022 at 8:20 pm, City of Austin Municipal Court - County of Travis, Texas. Police affidavit as published in the Washington Post. Cyclingnews has requested a copy from the Austin Municipal Court and Travis County Court.

6) Search Warrant SW22104092: Computer owned by Kaitlin Marie Armstrong - Issued by a Judge on May 19, 2022 at 10:48 am, City of Austin Municipal Court - County of Travis, Texas.

You know, he’s since KA and Cofer have attorney client privilege when they speak in person or over the phone, he COULD speak to KA while CA is sitting in his office and let KA and CA talk without the jail recording the conversation. I’m not saying he’s doing that, but nothing surprises me anymore.

IMO, CA is a witness. And right or wrong, it would not be the first time a legal party facilitated communication between family members outside of the jail system.

IMO, if such communication is suspected, the prosecution can certainly call such a family member/witness and inquire of them under oath if the witness and defendant have ever communicated via legal counsel while the defendant was in custody. The prosecution has every right to impeach the credibility of the witness. MOO

Soooo...Cofer is going to go with the shoddy LE investigation + SODDI defense. Unimaginative but predictable. I don't know if I have the stomach to follow another case with a vocal "my poor client is such a victim" attorney. The Morphew case is enough. A lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Two thoughts - originally, I was really angry that LE had KA in their grasp and let her go on a technicality, but now that she's been caught, I'm actually really glad, because her running, selling her jeep, using her sister's passport, and jetting off to Costa Rica makes her look beyond guilty. I don't know how they're going to explain away that one!

Second thought, as much as I find him distasteful, I hope by now CS has retained his own competent legal representation or at a minimum has come completely clean with LE/prosecution. Because newsflash, CS, if this is a SODDI, I bet you're looking like a pretty darn good Some Other Dude to Cofer and Co.

Police obtained search warrants for Strickland’s DNA, his phone, two phones belonging to Armstrong, her MacBook Pro and a house she owned in Austin that is different from where she lived with Strickland.
^^rsbm
1) Affidavit for a Search Warrant SW22104041: Manchester Circle, South Austin property owned by Kaitlin Armstrong - Issued by a Judge on May 12, 2022, at 6:57 pm, City of Austin Municipal Court - County of Travis, Texas.
^^rsbm

In prior thread, using public records, KA's real estate portfolio was previously identified to include a couple of 1,000 sq ft residences in Travis County and a 50% interest in a smaller property in Caldwell County-- including 4924 Manchester Circle, Austin, TX.

I'm sure it was not lost on investigators that 4924 Manchester Circle was located only 2 minutes from the residence KA shared with CS (5301 Fort Clark Dr., Austin, TX), and/or about 10 miles from the crime scene at 1708 Maple Ave., #B, Austin, TX. Seems a Judge also found grounds for issuance of a search warrant for this property (less than 24 hours after MW was murdered).

1658624699691.png
16 min (10.7 mi) via State Hwy 71 E

I am wondering what CS may have told Mo about his relationship with KA. He could have told her that they were in the process of splitting up, and that she was about to move out. Philandering men are not noted for telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Just as married men's wives never understand them.

I am wondering what CS may have told Mo about his relationship with KA. He could have told her that they were in the process of splitting up, and that she was about to move out. Philandering men are not noted for telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Just as married men's wives never understand them.
From everything that’s been said about Moriah’s basic character and ethics, I think we can safely assume that CS was feeding her that kind of disinformation (KA and he were in the process of splitting up, were no longer sleeping together, etc.) and that’s why she allowed herself to be drawn in. Poor girl had no idea the lies she was being fed, and what danger was really lurking.

Soooo...Cofer is going to go with the shoddy LE investigation + SODDI defense. Unimaginative but predictable. I don't know if I have the stomach to follow another case with a vocal "my poor client is such a victim" attorney. The Morphew case is enough. A lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Two thoughts - originally, I was really angry that LE had KA in their grasp and let her go on a technicality, but now that she's been caught, I'm actually really glad, because her running, selling her jeep, using her sister's passport, and jetting off to Costa Rica makes her look beyond guilty. I don't know how they're going to explain away that one!

Second thought, as much as I find him distasteful, I hope by now CS has retained his own competent legal representation or at a minimum has come completely clean with LE/prosecution. Because newsflash, CS, if this is a SODDI, I bet you're looking like a pretty darn good Some Other Dude to Cofer and Co.
^^BBM
Documents revealed Armstrong’s boyfriend, 35-year-old pro cyclist Colin Strickland, initially denied knowing the victim, a 25-year-old fellow riding pro, to detectives when they first interviewed him after the murder.
^^rsbm

Very true @Kittybunny!

I'm still wondering if CS denied knowing MW before he learned of her murder or after?

I suppose it doesn't matter -- to quote the former Orange County, DA Matt Murphy,... "the suspect had just lied to them, and for an innocent man, there's no reason to lie about anything."

Hope he gets better advice than he must have been hearing at home! MOO

Oh what a tangled web we weave, (Shakespeare, maybe). I am very sympathetic to all the families involved.
So much uncertainty. We live in such a complicated world. I just pray that justice prevails.

From APD News Release -- don't recall seeing this posted before.​

Austin Police Department

May 14 ·

Case: 22-1311523
Date: May 11, 2022
Time: 9:56 P.M.
Deceased: Anna Moriah Wilson, W/F, 5/18/1996

On Wednesday, May 11, 2022, at approximately 9:56 P.M., Austin Police Department (APD Officers) responded to an emergency call at 1708 Maple Ave #B. A woman told 9-1-1 dispatch she returned home to find her friend bleeding and unconscious.

Investigators arrived at the scene and discovered a 25-year-old female with multiple gunshot wounds. Officers and EMS performed life-saving measures. However, the victim died from her injuries. The victim is Anna Moriah Wilson. Wilson was pronounced deceased at 10:10 P.M. by Dr. Escott.

The investigation shows someone shot Wilson inside the home on Maple Ave. Detectives have identified a person of interest.

There is no reason to suspect any threats to the public, and the shooting does not appear to be a random act.

On May 12, 2022, the Travis County Medical Examiner's conducted an autopsy and determined the official cause of death to be multiple gunshot wounds, and the manner of death was a homicide.

Detectives ask anyone with information or video of the incident to call APD Homicide at 512-974-TIPS, the Crime Stoppers anonymous tip line at 512-472-8477 (TIPS), the new Crime Stoppers App, and or email APD Homicide at homicide.apd@austintexas.gov. You may remain anonymous. You can also submit tips by downloading APD's mobile app, Austin PD, free on iPhone and Android.

This case is being investigated as Austin's 27th homicide of 2022.

From everything that’s been said about Moriah’s basic character and ethics, I think we can safely assume that CS was feeding her that kind of disinformation (KA and he were in the process of splitting up, were no longer sleeping together, etc.) and that’s why she allowed herself to be drawn in. Poor girl had no idea the lies she was being fed, and what danger was really lurking.
Except KA had warned her off. More than once, I believe. Whatever MW's thoughts about the KA/CS relationship and even if her getting together that day with CS was platonic, she knew KA had "issues". When your texts don't go thru but you continue finding ways to communicate knowing the potential for monitoring is there, you have to really want to stay in touch to keep trying.

This is not to blame the victim but to point out that she could have told CS to contact her only if KA is actually & in fact no longer living with him & they are no longer partners in a business together. FACT: As long as KA was part of his life, MW was going to be dealing with her in some way.

We have gone over all this before in this thread so blow me off if you like but MW had knowledge of KA's annoyance & maybe even aggression/anger. Whatever CS was saying does not mitigate the direct warn offs.

KA is obviously the one to blame for the death of MW if facts we know hold up in court.

But CS chose to keep contacting someone (and hiding/trying to hide contact with someone) when he knew it had powderkeg potential....KA I think had made it clear. And MW paid the price for his creating & sustaining the drama.

When people who own guns (KA) start acting like petulant children who think others are their possession (CS), you usually get bad outcomes. But murder? That's just evil to the core.

MOO

Last edited:
Except KA had warned her off. More than once, I believe. Whatever MW's thoughts about the KA/CS relationship and even if her getting together that day with CS was platonic, she knew KA had "issues". When your texts don't go thru but you continue finding ways to communicate knowing the potential for monitoring is there, you have to really want to stay in touch to keep trying.

This is not to blame the victim but to point out that she could have told CS to contact her only if KA is actually & in fact no longer living with him & they are no longer partners in a business together. FACT: As long as KA was part of his life, MW was going to be dealing with her in some way.

We have gone over all this before in this thread so blow me off if you like but MW had knowledge of KA's annoyance & maybe even aggression/anger. Whatever CS was saying does not mitigate the direct warn offs.

KA is obviously the one to blame for the death of MW if facts we know hold up in court.

But CS chose to keep contacting someone (and hiding/trying to hide contact with someone) when he knew it had powderkeg potential....KA I think had made it clear. And MW paid the price for his creating & sustaining the drama.

When people who own guns (KA) start acting like petulant children who think others are their possession (CS), you usually get bad outcomes. But murder? That's just evil to the core.

MOO
The thing is, MW could have had a clue about all of this, but who imagines they'll get murdered in this kind of situation? And MW is very young....maybe not enough life experience to expect disaster.

If this situation had been me, I would never have anticipated that this "powderkeg" would get me killed.

The thing is, MW could have had a clue about all of this, but who imagines they'll get murdered in this kind of situation? And MW is very young....maybe not enough life experience to expect disaster.

If this situation had been me, I would never have anticipated that this "powderkeg" would get me killed.
Exactly. But you can see it wasn't benign. It was a powderkeg. If KA wasn't so very unstable, MW would still be alive. KA needs to pay a high price for her actions.

^^BBM

^^rsbm

Very true @Kittybunny!

I'm still wondering if CS denied knowing MW before he learned of her murder or after?

I suppose it doesn't matter -- to quote the former Orange County, DA Matt Murphy,... "the suspect had just lied to them, and for an innocent man, there's no reason to lie about anything."

Hope he gets better advice than he must have been hearing at home! MOO

Logically, likely after. I assume that the cycling community found out about the murder pretty early. And "innocent" depends on the context. He was not innocent in the context of cheating on his GF with Mo, hence, he lied. In the context of killing Mo, he was innocent. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LightInv