TX - Police Taser Councilman Jonathan Miller, Prairie View, 8 Oct 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this little burg of cops is quick on the draw. IMO

I think not. Miller seems very familiar with them, if they were "quick on the draw" he wouldn't have ignored their order SIX TIMES!

He would have cooperated to avoid provoking them. He didn't appear to be the slightest bit worried about what they would do.

"Go back there to the end, man. You always starting problems, so go back over there," said Officer Kelley.

"I live here," Miller answered.

Okay....if he had NOT had multiple run-ins with the police why would he respond that way???

If a police officer said that to me I would likely look stunned and say "What? You have me confused with someone else!" But he doesn't say that because he KNOWS he is frequently a problem, so he responds with "I live here".

The fact he is so well known by police as someone that "starts trouble" yet he is a councilman says a lot about that community. No doubt his constituency has no problem with his behavior and this will probably get him more votes!

Maybe he didn't respond because that would be viewed as trying to argue or cause problems. He responded with a fact in that he informed them that he lived there. I don't see a problem with that,but then again it seems any questions of LE and their doings might be seen from some in LE as questioning their authority.
Could it be that asking a question or giving LE information is seen as being a troublemaker?

I think not. Miller seems very familiar with them, if they were "quick on the draw" he wouldn't have ignored their order SIX TIMES!

He would have cooperated to avoid provoking them. He didn't appear to be the slightest bit worried about what they would do.

I don't know the background of any of the players,except for having seen the female cop in action in the past. From what I can see he was intent on finding out why LE were on his property and seeing what was going on with his guests. He also was trying to convey to LE that he lived on the property and the men were his guests. I think that is reasonable behavior.

Maybe he didn't respond because that would be viewed as trying to argue or cause problems. He responded with a fact in that he informed them that he lived there. I don't see a problem with that,but then again it seems any questions of LE and their doings might be seen from some in LE as questioning their authority.
Could it be that asking a question or giving LE information is seen as being a troublemaker?

So this made me think maybe they didn't like him personally as a councilman, maybe he's too harsh on LE or something, but:

Miller as a City Council member who just voted for police officers a raise in Prairie View last week.

This struck me as a little ironic too, since he's also a public servant:

Miller faces charges of interfering with a public servant and resisting arrest, but he is no longer in custody, having bonded out of jail on Friday. [bbm]

So this made me think maybe they didn't like him personally as a councilman, maybe he's too harsh on LE or something, but:

Miller as a City Council member who just voted for police officers a raise in Prairie View last week.

This struck me as a little ironic too, since he's also a public servant:

Miller faces charges of interfering with a public servant and resisting arrest, but he is no longer in custody, having bonded out of jail on Friday. [bbm]

The group of men seems like decent community minded people. One that was there during the incident said they had just come from a community event at 5:00.
I hope the dashcam is operable...this time.
IMO

Woodland, that is my opinion and how I honestly see it. Anyone is free to have any opinion and no one needs to tell anyone how to post.

And those are my words, not words I stated that anyone said. AND, I was speaking in general.

MOO

Well, actually you quoted my post and bolded different statements in it. That was not in general. What I wrote is from my personal experience and how I see it. When you stated that I wrote words that were not stated, I don't understand because I pointed out that this was my opinion only.

I have read many posts that start out "this is not a popular opinion".

Well, anyway, in no way was I trying to keep this from being a clean discussion and I find your post insulting.

MOO

So, a council member in Prairie View, Texas was tased by LE in front of his home.

What say the people? Inside and outside the county, state and country?

So, a council member in Prairie View, Texas was tased by LE in front of his home.

A man interfering with a police investigation was tased by LE when he refused to comply with a lawful LE order.

What say the people?

Chuckles. The first thing I would like to know is, how did LE manage to be at this property at the exact moment people were leaving? We can't get that 'fact' on dash/bodycam thingys.

LE just happened to be driving by? Who can be trusted to give a clear picture on that?

Then, what was the purpose of LE stopping the people leaving? Had one or more started to drive away? Had they put a vehicle in drive at that point? Or not?

Imo, the answers to these questions would be a start for me.

A man interfering with a police investigation was tased by LE when he refused to comply with a lawful LE order.

What say the people?

I say Officer Goodie and her LE buddies were fishing. From the khou link in post #17

It started when Officer Goodie pulled up to question three of Miller's fraternity brothers, who had come out of his house to practice a step routine for Homecoming. They were standing by one of their cars changing their shoes when she arrived.

"There's been drug activity, little girls and little guys in the car doing whatever, so when we see this, we come investigate," Officer Goodie says on the tape.

Do we have any indication that drug activity was going on with these men?
Does LE have the right to roll up on a group and ask questions and or ask for ID?
Shouldn't they at least have a reason to ask questions of citizens?

Why were the police bothering them to begin with? Sorry, but it doesn't sound like there was any probable cause to detain or question any of these people.

If police pulled up outside my house and began harassing my guests, I would come outside, too, to find out what was going on.

I'm taking a trip in the next few weeks where I'll be passing through Texas and staying for a few days (not my choice, but my traveling companion's). I'm not looking forward to being there. I'd like to avoid driving through the state if possible. I'm considering driving on my own and by passing the state entirely, its so dangerous and crazy.

I say it was a smart decision to tase him and not use stronger methods of control.

Who cares if he was a council member or in his own home? The police were investigating some possible drug deals and the suspects were guests of the councilman.

Chuckles. The first thing I would like to know is, how did LE manage to be at this property at the exact moment people were leaving? We can't get that 'fact' on dash/bodycam thingys.

LE just happened to be driving by? Who can be trusted to give a clear picture on that?

Then, what was the purpose of LE stopping the people leaving? Had one or more started to drive away? Had they put a vehicle in drive at that point? Or not?

Imo, the answers to these questions would be a start for me.

I would like to know the answer to these questions too. Right now it sounds like they were just questioning his friends, and if that's the case I don't know how he could be interfering. Wouldn't they just question him too? Did they explain to him what was going on before they demanded he get on the ground and put his hands behind his back? Why did the situation appear to immediately escalate?

I say Officer Goodie and her LE buddies were fishing. From the khou link in post #17

It started when Officer Goodie pulled up to question three of Miller's fraternity brothers, who had come out of his house to practice a step routine for Homecoming. They were standing by one of their cars changing their shoes when she arrived.

"There's been drug activity, little girls and little guys in the car doing whatever, so when we see this, we come investigate," Officer Goodie says on the tape.

Does LE have the right to roll up on a group and ask questions and or ask for ID?
Shouldn't they at least have a reason to ask questions of citizens?

They do have a reason. There had been drug activity in the area. So they stopped to investigate.

They do have a reason. There had been drug activity in the area. So they stopped to investigate.

So that area is prone to drug activity but why pick those three men out to question? What cause did they actually have?

Well, if it can be shown that LE stopped many people in that particular area on an on-going basis for say a couple weeks, then I would see the stop to begin with.

If no LE stops in that particular area within a short period of time, then I still have questions.

Why were the police bothering them to begin with? Sorry, but it doesn't sound like there was any probable cause to detain or question any of these people.

If police pulled up outside my house and began harassing my guests, I would come outside, too, to find out what was going on.

I'm taking a trip in the next few weeks where I'll be passing through Texas and staying for a few days (not my choice, but my traveling companion's). I'm not looking forward to being there. I'd like to avoid driving through the state if possible. I'm considering driving on my own and by passing the state entirely, its so dangerous and crazy.

Have you been to Texas before? Where are you going? I agree, sometimes it seems like the wild west, but if you're going to Austin I was just there and loved it. I didn't go to the area where Shia was arrested - from what I understand that's all bars full of college kids. Maybe not dangerous but definitely not my thing. I felt safe everywhere we went (it helped to know a local). So if that's where you're going I wouldn't worry too much. However... the first time I went to Austin I stayed in a hotel where a lot of risky business was taking place and I didn't leave my room after dark.

eta: Sorry if I seem too nosy, just wanted to make the point it might simply depend on where you go.

Shouldn't they at least have a reason to ask questions of citizens
?

BBM:

Answer to question 2 & 3 is YES, they can, and no, they do not have to give a reason.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member