GUILTY TX - Samuel Olson, 5, found deceased, Houston, 27 May 2021 *ARRESTS* #3

Question, where was poor little Samuel's body from the time she killed him and her and the roommate put him in a plastic tote on/around May 12, to when they dropped the tote off at a storage facility on May 22nd????

Please don't tell me they left this little boy in that tote in the apartment!!???? 10 days of decomposition would have been beyond noticeable IMO

I hope they seek the DP in this case.

And where is dear ole' dad??

tragically your math adds up. It’S beyond horrifying in every possible way. I also hope this is a death penalty case. It certainly meets the criteria.

I have a feeling that the pot is just starting to boil. I think even more people were involved, and based on the suspects’ behavior, so were drugs.

Question to the group...does anyone know if TB had a job? How was she supporting herself?
During one of her bond hearings -- I think it was reported that she was employed and how she'd lived at the same residence for more than three years -- something to that effect. I'll see if I can find the comment attributed to her lawyer.

ETA: add link. Lawyer tried to get the bond reduced to $20k. She may have been receiving extended UI for COVID layoff.

Theresa Balboa bond set at $500,000 in in Samuel Olson case | khou.com

Last edited:
I'm so relieved to finally see this! Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would be a death penalty case right?

Yup. And Texas has already carried out two executions this year so far!

Texas Death Penalty Facts – TCADP

I want to clarify that a capital murder charge in TX does not automatically mean that if convicted, the penalty will be death.

If the district attorney wants to seek the death penalty, within 120 days of the defendant's arraignment, the prosecutor has to notify the defendant and the court of their intent to seek the death penalty.

If it's determined a death penalty case, death is decided by the jury, and the vote for death must be unanimous.

Capital punishment in Texas - Wikipedia

Monday, July 12th:
*Preliminary Hearing (Murder) (@ 9am CT) - TX - Samuel Olson (5, would have been 6 on 5/29/21) (it was reported that he was taken by an unknown male from a southwest Houston home in the 8800 block of McAvoy Dr. at about 7:30am on May 27, 2021, but he had been missing for 2 weeks before this, found June 1, 2021 inside a tote bag in the Best Western motel in Jasper). – *Theresa Raye Balboa (29) arrested & charged (6/2/21) with tampering with evidence (human corpse). Bond $500K.
She was jailed on 6/2/21 & was extradited from Jasper County Jail to Harris County Thursday, 6/3/21.
*Charged (7/8/21) with capital murder-under 10 years.
*Charged (11/29/20) with assault (on family). Bond $5K. Bonded out on 11/30/20. Bond $100K (set on 6/7/21).
Case & court info from 6/2/21 to 6/7/21 reference post #124 here:
Found Deceased - TX - Samuel Olson, 5, Houston, 27 May 2021 *ARRESTS* #3

6/8/21: Samuel ID'd. According to the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences, the cause of death is homicidal violence with blunt head trauma. Death ruled a homicide. Prosecutors have said they plan to file additional charges against Balboa. Andrea Beall with the Harris County District Attorney’s Office said during a court hearing Monday that a murder investigation is pending. Defense attorney asked for bond to be dropped to $20K-denied. Arraignment hearing on 7/29/21 for tampering & assault charges.
7/8/21 Update: Charged with capital murder-under 10 years. The Harris County District Attorney's Office has not decided if they will seek the death penalty in this case. They might seek 'life without parole.' Preliminary hearing on 7/12/21 @ 9am.
*Benjamin D. Rivera (27/now 28) – Arraignment hearing on 9/8/21. Harris County
*Dylan Ray Walker (27) – no date yet as of 7/12/21. Jasper County.

Monday, July 12th:
*Preliminary Hearing (Murder) (@ 9am CT) - TX - Samuel Olson (5, would have been 6 on 5/29/21) (it was reported that he was taken by an unknown male from a southwest Houston home in the 8800 block of McAvoy Dr. at about 7:30am on May 27, 2021, but he had been missing for 2 weeks before this, found June 1, 2021 inside a tote bag in the Best Western motel in Jasper). – *Theresa Raye Balboa (29) arrested & charged (6/2/21) with tampering with evidence (human corpse). Bond $500K.
She was jailed on 6/2/21 & was extradited from Jasper County Jail to Harris County Thursday, 6/3/21.
*Charged (7/8/21) with capital murder-under 10 years.
*Charged (11/29/20) with assault (on family). Bond $5K. Bonded out on 11/30/20. Bond $100K (set on 6/7/21).
Case & court info from 6/2/21 to 6/7/21 reference post #124 here:
Found Deceased - TX - Samuel Olson, 5, Houston, 27 May 2021 *ARRESTS* #3

6/8/21: Samuel ID'd. According to the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences, the cause of death is homicidal violence with blunt head trauma. Death ruled a homicide. Prosecutors have said they plan to file additional charges against Balboa. Andrea Beall with the Harris County District Attorney’s Office said during a court hearing Monday that a murder investigation is pending. Defense attorney asked for bond to be dropped to $20K-denied. Arraignment hearing on 7/29/21 for tampering & assault charges.
7/8/21 Update: Charged with capital murder-under 10 years. The Harris County District Attorney's Office has not decided if they will seek the death penalty in this case. They might seek 'life without parole.' Preliminary hearing on 7/12/21 @ 9am.
*Benjamin D. Rivera (27/now 28) – Arraignment hearing on 9/8/21. Harris County
*Dylan Ray Walker (27) – no date yet as of 7/12/21. Jasper County.

In Texas, IIRC prelims can be live feed. Looking for one for today's preliminary where information is put out in court ... I cannot see a live feed or hint at one at this time.

*waiting*

Perhaps others are following tweets and can update for today's prelim for TB as I would suspect murder weapon id will be new news etc.

Last edited:
I couldn't find any twitter accounts actually following this case. I'll check out Cathy Russon - maybe they have someone - BRB

nope....

@Niner I did have a look earlier but couldn't find anyone or anything.
Same - seeing nothing about the prelim hearing streaming.

With regard to TB's employment, my recollection is that she stated she was not employed in November 2020 case, but not sure if anything was said about her employment status more recently. @Ann-Tx may know. The articles detailing her defense attorney's bond arguments on the more recent charges did not mention employment, so I suspect she was unemployed because that typically would be mentioned. JMO

Samuel Olson death: Theresa Balboa appears in court for first time since capital murder charge in 5-year-old's death - ABC13 Houston
HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Theresa Balboa entered a courtroom Monday without representation and left it without a bond amount for her capital murder charge in the death of 5-year-old Samuel Olson.

Balboa is the ex-girlfriend of Samuel's father, Dalton Olson.

Good to now know that someone has claimed that she is the "ex-girlfriend" o_O Have we heard that from dad?

Key takeaways from the ABC13 interview with prosecutor outside courtroom today:
  • Prosecutor says that after reviewing laboratory and cell phone evidence she brought charges because she believes she can corroborate statements from BR regarding who is responsible for Samuel's death.
  • Reporter says that prosecutor said in the courtroom that BR said TB called him to say 'she thinks that she killed Sam'. Prosecutor says yes and she has the cell phone evidence to corroborate that.
  • Reporter asks if anyone else will be charged. Prosecutor says, "I don't believe so, no."
  • Judge found probable cause for case and awaiting TB appointed attorney. No bond set at this point.
  • Next up: Present to DA re: death penalty, present to grand jury for probable cause by 90 days from June 1st.
https://abc13.com/video/embed/?pid=10881528

ETA - I didn't hear any more info about probable cause evidence presented and I didn't hear any questions about the weapon. I hope we get a little more on that from media today.

I think it's most likely that SO received an injury around May 12 and the actual date of death not yet confirmed. This poor child may have been suffering in bed for a week before receiving another blunt injury.

We also know that the BR was charged with fabricating evidence after providing an inconsistent timeline to investigators.

I'm afraid we'll have to wait for the preliminary hearing to learn more details -- especially the accurate timeline of when things really happened.

MOO
i think the same. i think the abuse started quick, she beat him 5/5 and warned BR cuz it was evident. then further abuse killed him around 5/10-12.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think his father is responsible for his death. He is responsible for trusting TB with his care and for not asking questions. But I highly doubt he knew or even suspected that Samuel was dead.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back