TX - Sandra Bland, 28, found dead in jail cell, Waller County, 13 July 2015 #3

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by PrimeSuspect, Jul 22, 2015.

1. human

human Well-Known Member

Yes, wouldn't it be loverly. But that is not reality.

If I am worthy of respect, I will get it. Not from everyone,though, because people have their own issues. I may look like their abusive ex mother in law. Who knows.

I cannot control anyone. I can only control how I react.

2. Night-owl

Night-owl New Member

I don't think it's at all bad to understand how to best behave in a situation with law enforcement. Keep your hands visible. Don't go diving for the glove box to get the registration, because the police don't know what it is you are going to come out with.

I'm a nice old lady who can communicate clearly, but last time I was pulled over, I was careful to state what I was doing the whole time, I.e. "My license is in my hand bag on the floor, I'll get it out for you..."

I don't envy the job officers have. They get a lot more abuse than most people in public facing jobs.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

3. Night-owl

Night-owl New Member

Well, there is "worthy of respect" and then there is "I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and treat you as if you are worthy of respect". And there is "I'll respect your position, even though you personally are an idiot". There are few situations I can think of where it's to your advantage to treat someone disrespectfully.

4. human

human Well-Known Member

I don't think most people even think about LE and how to act unless they have had previous experience. I have had three speeding tickets in 40 some years. I think I have the record for friends and family.

LE is simply not a player in most people's lives.

5. human

human Well-Known Member

Like I said, I can only control myself. And no, I will not give certain people respect, It only encourages them to think they can get away with that behavior and tbat it is acceptable.

6. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

Oh, I agree with you. BBM, thank you, thank you, thank you! Much better stated than I could have and that exact point is what I have been thinking for some time. While there are situations which are actually race related, race seems to have become the general sweeping statement which excuses people from their own behavior and consequences of their own actions. To blame everything on BE wipes SB clean of her responsibility for her behavior and choices. What happened to individual accountability and responsibility? SB was no marionette and BE no puppeteer so let's quit pretending they were..... SB is responsible for her own behavior and choices. Drugs and untreated depression had a lot to do with that....... Let's quit pretending the influence of addiction and depression had no baring whatsoever on SB's behavior and choices.

7. Night-owl

Night-owl New Member

Sometimes, it's best to act as if you respect someone. Civilization depends on people's ability to behave in a manner contradictory to feelings.

8. arkansasmimi

arkansasmimi Well-Known Member

Officer Penny Goody saw it, you can hear it on the video.

9. arkansasmimi

arkansasmimi Well-Known Member

I am not sure if she still got the Warning ticket but I would say yes, because he went and got his clipboard from the hood, after SB finally was handcuffed. She was very argumentative and resisting can see a little to the right of screen and hear her. He brings it over and puts it on back of car and tells her to come over and and read... so to me that proves he had already filled out the Warning. But I have not seen it so JMHO from watching the video.

10. JusticeforCarnel

JusticeforCarnel Verified Insider

11. JusticeforCarnel

JusticeforCarnel Verified Insider

12. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

I too have not seen the citation that was given to her, yet seems that the information on that would say more then what has been insinuated by some. Even though she was arrested for assault? no one has seen the citation and what the charges were. jmo idk

So the last thing that came out was the video showing her alive cause some on her side were saying she was dead in the photo. Thank goodness for surveillance cameras in the booking and jail that shows her alive. Dang people love to lie, unreal.

13. TorisMom003

TorisMom003 New Member

Serious question: If the lit cigarette was such an issue that BE asked her to put it out while she was in the car, why demand that she get out of the car (with the lit cigarette still in her hand?) when she asked why? Reaching into the car to make her get out, while she has a lit cigarette also makes me question why BE was asking for her to put it out. Doesn't seem as if it were a safety issue/concern. If it were, then he would not put his arm into the car where the "weapon" is. Refusing to answer her, was that to put her in her place? To show that he, as a police officer, did not have to answer any of her questions?

This entire dashcam video should be used when training new officers as what NOT to do on a traffic stop.

MOO

14. DEPUTYDAWG

DEPUTYDAWG Active Member

With much respect,

It's becoming more and more important...people are getting misinformation about what their "rights" are...more people are getting more confrontational and angry, etc.

Like I mentioned on the previous thread, the local NAACP hosted an "educational" meeting with lawyers, local LE, churches, because they wanted the younger generation to get good information on what their rights were and how to handle traffic stops...very few came. :(

Sometimes, people aren't learning from home or school environments, what is acceptable. It doesn't hurt (at all!) to do some basic reminders. Much of society is, indeed, losing good manners and common sense. JMO JMO JMO, LOL

JMO.

15. DEPUTYDAWG

DEPUTYDAWG Active Member

Just snickering...I love this!

16. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

17. IBsleuthin

IBsleuthin New Member

I think I was married to the driver's TWIN BROTHER! wow. What a freak.

18. IBsleuthin

IBsleuthin New Member

Well put. I was shocked to find out that what I've taught in our home about respect and manners is not being taught in many of the homes where we live.

I just thought it was a no brainer. I guess I'm the one with no brain.

19. DEPUTYDAWG

DEPUTYDAWG Active Member

I ***KNOW*** this is technically OT with regards to Sandra specifically, but here's a good article written up in our local paper about that NAACP/LE outreach meeting I mentioned just a few posts above.

There are some really good quotes from the panelists, and from those who came to learn, including a black college male that stated just what I have stated...the younger generations are NOT being taught how to handle these situations well all the time. (And as I mentioned before, but they didn't make the distinction in the article...they mentioned about 30 people attended...how about 12 of them were the panelists, not all 30 were there to learn or listen).

@@@@ Of interest, at least to me, is that when I went to search for the write up of the event, I saw numerous articles where NAACP and LE in various Texas towns were holding similar educational meetings across the state. That does show there is a need, and a desire to try to get citizens and LE to listen to the other side and learn by sharing knowledge and experiences. Not a bad thing :)

P.S. Sorry mods, since I know it's not about Sandra, but more of the bigger picture. Delete if necessary.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/police...cle_4b569dc0-271e-59ae-8fad-5c04cf3bceca.html

20. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

My position has always been you respect law enforcement. If you cannot respect the man, then you respect the badge. The badge represents the laws we live under. If you find that you cannot or will not respect the man or the badge, then respect the gun the officer wears.