Deceased/Not Found TX - Sgt. Richard Halliday, 21, Fort Bliss (El Paso), 24 Jul 2020

Noting:

[...]

... Fort Bliss commander Maj. Gen. Sean Bernabe said special agents with the Army's Criminal Investigation Division (CID) "have devoted over 540 investigative hours on this case, issued 50 subpoenas and five warrants, conducted over 160 interviews, and executed eight local searches," without any success in finding him.

[...]

Bernabe acknowledged Wednesday that Halliday's disappearance had prompted a policy change after the soldier's parents complained it took the Army more than a month to notify them that their son was missing.

"Despite attempts, we failed to make timely initial contact with the Halliday Family when we discovered Pvt. Halliday missing. This failure caused us to lose the trust of the Halliday Family. We are working hard to regain their trust. Our failure drove us to change the procedures we take here at Fort Bliss when we discover that a soldier’s whereabouts are unknown,” he explained.

[...]

Last edited:
:( You're on my mind and heart today, Sgt. Halliday. Where'd you go? Who helped you get there?

I'm amazed there have been no clues to Richard's whereabouts. If he went AWOL and is alive and well, it seems by now there would be some little nugget of a lead or tip of some sort that would pan out. Instead, even with a $35,000 reward, there's nothing but chaos. :confused:

142325255_181572553706453_6093980538249681563_o.jpg

Find Richard Halliday

What do soldiers normally "ingest" during "field training exercises"?

Fort Bliss: 2 soldiers critical, others hurt after ingesting substance
Fort Bliss officials said that 11 soldiers were injured, including two in critical condition, after ingesting an unknown substance Thursday during a field training exercise.

11 Fort Bliss soldiers ingest unknown substance; 2 in critical condition: reports
No further details were immediately available. Army officials said more information would be released when it becomes available, the El Paso Times reported.

What do soldiers normally "ingest" during "field training exercises"?

Fort Bliss: 2 soldiers critical, others hurt after ingesting substance
Fort Bliss officials said that 11 soldiers were injured, including two in critical condition, after ingesting an unknown substance Thursday during a field training exercise.

11 Fort Bliss soldiers ingest unknown substance; 2 in critical condition: reports
No further details were immediately available. Army officials said more information would be released when it becomes available, the El Paso Times reported.
Yikes. :eek:

11 soldiers unknowingly drank compound found in antifreeze, Army says | KBAK (bakersfieldnow.com)

The 11 soldiers were hospitalized Thursday after they became sick from the chemical ethylene glycol, which is commonly found in automotive products including engine coolant and brake fluid.

Payne said that the soldiers thought they were drinking alcohol.

Probe in wake of missing soldier finds Fort Bliss troops faced 'remarkable stress' over past year - KVIA

A military investigation launched in the wake of a U.S. Army private at Fort Bliss who went missing found "no evidence of toxic leadership, maltreatment of soldiers, criminal activity or negligence in leadership performance," officials said Friday.

But the investigative report did acknowledge that soldiers were under "remarkable stress" over the past year due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the pace of the training and deployment cycle of troops.

The probe, ordered by Fort Bliss commander Maj. Gen. Sean Bernabe, stemmed from last year's disappearance of 21-year-old Pvt. Richard Halliday, who vanished on July 23 after leaving his barracks room at the post - and has not been seen since despite a massive search effort.

Probe in wake of missing soldier finds Fort Bliss troops faced 'remarkable stress' over past year - KVIA

A military investigation launched in the wake of a U.S. Army private at Fort Bliss who went missing found "no evidence of toxic leadership, maltreatment of soldiers, criminal activity or negligence in leadership performance," officials said Friday.

But the investigative report did acknowledge that soldiers were under "remarkable stress" over the past year due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the pace of the training and deployment cycle of troops.

The probe, ordered by Fort Bliss commander Maj. Gen. Sean Bernabe, stemmed from last year's disappearance of 21-year-old Pvt. Richard Halliday, who vanished on July 23 after leaving his barracks room at the post - and has not been seen since despite a massive search effort.
Snipped

The Army on Friday reiterated a $25,000 reward it has offered for credible information about Halliday's disappearance. Tips in the case can be given by calling Fort Bliss CID at 915-568-1700 or go online at cid.army.mil.

After a long hiatus this case has brought me back. I’m very familiar with this case as I have been friends with the wife of one Richard’s leaders for over 15 years. Sadly, I believe he most likely took his own life. There is always the possibility he ran off or met with foul play, but given the circumstances surrounding his disappearance I won’t be surprised if once found this ends up being the case. I truly feel for his family but also for those in his command. I hope he is found soon.

Search for missing soldier continues more than six months after disappearance from Fort Bliss
Feb. 22, 2021 BBM

Seven months have passed since 21-year-old soldier Private Richard Halliday disappeared from Fort Bliss Army Base in El Paso, Texas, and his family is pleading for answers.

Snip

Despite more than 500 man hours devoted to search efforts over the past several months, officials said they still lack answers...

Snip

After Richard’s disappearance, officials followed multiple tips and leads, but none led them to Richard. There was no indication of foul play or any specific suspicious circumstances surrounding his disappearance after CID officials conducted an in-depth forensic search of his barracks room.

Snip

Richard’s family has created their own tip hotline (941) 677-0060 and the Facebook page Find Richard Hallidayin the hope of collecting information that could lead to their son.

Snip

Anyone with information on Richard’s whereabouts is asked to call the Fort Bliss CID Office at 915-568-1700, the Fort Bliss Military Police at 915-744-1237 or anonymously submit information at https://www.cid.army.mil/report-a-crime.html.

My thoughts and prayers are going out to the families of the deceased individuals (I'm assuming these are two separate sets of remains). BBM
EBM - To clarify, the post at FRH discusses a comparison with the remains found at Hondo Pass. I have not seen mention of a comparison with the remains found at the El Paso construction site.

Find Richard Halliday

Day238 #findrichardhalliday #OperationPeopleFirst #MissingSoldier #SaveOurChildren #FaithHopeLove #EspritDeCorps These bones are being assessed for a match. https://kvia.com/.../human-remains-found-off-of-hondo.../
#

Here's the article
Human remains found off of Hondo Pass on Fort Bliss land - KVIA
Published March 18, 2021 5:18 pm

Human remains were discovered Thursday off of Hondo Pass on Fort Bliss land... It marked the second finding of human remains in the El Paso area in as many days.

Linking to the article discussing the first set of remains found.

Human remains found at El Paso construction site for Amazon distribution center - KVIA
March 17, 2021 6:58 pm
Human remains were discovered Wednesday at the construction site of an El Paso distribution center for retail giant Amazon. The 115-acre site is located between Rojas and Interstate 10 near Eastlake.

Last edited:
MAR 28, 2021
Prayer day held for missing Fort Bliss soldier Richard Halliday (elpasotimes.com)
A team of El Pasoans held a prayer day and released balloons in honor of Fort Bliss soldier Pvt. Richard Halliday who has now been missing for more than eight months.

[...]

El Pasoans at the park were given keychains, stickers and bracelets with information on Richard Halliday and a phone number to call with any information.

[...]

Halliday's whereabouts are still unknown despite numerous searches by the military, family and friends.

[...]

"We just decided that every weekend we will be out and about getting the word out," she added.

[...]

More than eight months on and his family and their supporters in the community of El Paso haven’t given up hope.

A group of volunteers are holding a demonstration every week releasing red balloons into the sky with messages saying ‘please come back’, ‘we miss you’ and his mother's phone number written on them. It's called 'Operation Red Balloon.'

There is a $35,000 reward being offered for anyone who finds the missing soldier.

Album Park rally seeks to raise awareness of Fort Bliss soldier who vanished 8 months ago

On March 28, he was disciplined for unintentionally crossing the border into Mexico.
It is uncommon, but not unheard of, for newcomers or visitors to El Paso to get lost in traffic and mistakenly cross the border into Juárez.

How is this possible? Can you really just accidentally cross the border?!

Isn't there a place where you have to show passports?!

Agreed. It can happen. I was stationed at Fort Bliss in the early 2000’s and this happened quite frequently. It also didn’t help that we were always discouraged from going to Juarez. It made it almost a challenge to be able to pull it off without being caught.

“Since assuming control of this investigation, Fort Bliss CID continues to aggressively pursue all credible information,” Fort Bliss officials shared. “Fifteen different state, local, and federal agencies continue to commit resources and active support to aid Fort Bliss, 32d Army Air and Missile Defense Command and Fort Bliss CID in the search for Pvt. Halliday.”

Ft. Bliss provides update on Pvt. Richard Halliday search

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissingPersonsMatter
Back