TX - Shanna, 36, & Diederik Vandewege, 3 mos, slain, Fort Worth, 15 Dec 2016 *GUILTY*

I also think it is strange that CV would post a pic the day they died of her and him in a hospital bed and no baby. Not really the best pic to remember your wife and child.....

Or maybe Shanna had a stalker who followed them to FW.

I'm sad to see CV has lawyered up. While this does not necessarily mean anything sinister, I have often seen here on WS that it in fact does.

:scared:

I think, reading between the lines of his action, that LE are taking a hard look at him and have not been able to clear him as a suspect, and he felt he needed representation. No, it does not necessarily mean he did anything wrong, but it is interesting nonetheless.

From the link WitchitaFalls posted:

It is critical, said Barron (Forth Worth homicide detective), to question those closest to the victims and eliminate them as suspects as quickly as possible in cases such as this.

"It's standard and it's normal for us to try to exclude people close before we can move on and look elsewhere," Barron said. "It stalls our investigation if there's somebody that close that says flat out, 'No, I'm not going to do it.'"

"Anyone we can't eliminate is obviously a suspect until we can eliminate them, "said the detective when asked if Vandewege is a suspect in the case. "This extremely hinders our ability to move ahead and definitely hinders our ability to eliminate him."

BBM.

Is it cool to sleuth CV then?

Lawyering up huh. If I were innocent I wouldn't leave the police station doing all I could do to help. Just saying...

JMO, but if I were him I would be talking to LE with a lawyer present even if I were innocent. Lawyering up isn't a sign if guilt in my book...just wisdom. Even if LE thinks it makes their investigation more challenging.

I think, reading between the lines of his action, that LE are taking a hard look at him and have not been able to clear him as a suspect, and he felt he needed representation. No, it does not necessarily mean he did anything wrong, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Yes it is interesting. I wonder what the reasons are that he can't yet be eliminated. He was at work during the day. The ME should have been able to determine an approximate ToD. How accurate are these times? I would think they can give a range of a couple of hours based on rigor or not, and blood pooling, stomach content, etc?

If the ToD falls inside CV's work hours, was he absent from work for a while and refuses to say where he was?

If ToD was after his work hours, does he refuse to say whether he went straight home from work or went somewhere else first? Is it the norm or unusual to come home from work at Costco after 9pm?

If ToD was before he left for work, had his account of his and Shanna's actions that morning inconsistencies?

Did he for example claim to have been with Shanna and all was normal at a time the ME finds suspicious?

jmo

He was apparently here alone, without his wife and baby for awhile, after he transferred to his job here. Is that correct?

If so, it is possible that he made a friend or two here, before his family arrived in town. That might be a source of jealousy or anger?

Yes it is interesting. I wonder what the reasons are that he can't yet be eliminated. He was at work during the day. The ME should have been able to determine an approximate ToD. How accurate are these times? I would think they can give a range of a couple of hours based on rigor or not, and blood pooling, stomach content, etc?

If the ToD falls inside CV's work hours, was he absent from work for a while and refuses to say where he was?

If ToD was after his work hours, does he refuse to say whether he went straight home from work or went somewhere else first? Is it the norm or unusual to come home from work at Costco after 9pm?

If ToD was before he left for work, had his account of his and Shanna's actions that morning inconsistencies?

Did he for example claim to have been with Shanna and all was normal at a time the ME finds suspicious?

jmo

FYI I live less than 10 minutes away from the crime scene. Drove there today and was able to be at the Costco by their house literally in 3 minutes. Really short easy drive. Plenty of time to be missing from work for less than 15 minutes , go home, do the unthinkable and be back at work.

strange Shanna posted a link on Nov 28th titled: Make Assault on ALL Healthcare Employees a Federal Crime
Really not so strange. As a nurse I've witnessed (and been on the receiving end at times) assault by doctors, co-workers, patients, and patients' family members. Healthcare is not for the faint-hearted.

Police: Investigation stalls in case of slain mom, baby, as husband lawyers up

FORT WORTH
The investigation into the slayings of a woman and her 3-month-old son has stalled after the woman’s husband told detectives he needed to consult his attorney before having further contact with investigators, police said Tuesday.

Craig Vandewege met briefly Monday with homicide investigators, the second such meeting since reporting Thursday night that he had discovered the bodies of his wife, Shanna Riddle Vandewege, and their infant son, Diederik, inside the family’s home in the 8500 block of Cactus Flower Drive.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article121971809.html#storylink=cpy

Two BRIEF meetings with LE and has now lawyered up.

I'd guess this now puts the husband in the category of no longer cooperating with the police.

I am so very sad. For both the woman who was finally able to become a mom, and for the little baby who knew such a short life.

Really not so strange. As a nurse I've witnessed (and been on the receiving end at times) assault by doctors, co-workers, patients, and patients' family members. Healthcare is not for the faint-hearted.
But, was someone hoping investigators would concentrate on that angle and deflect attention from himself? Was it part of the premeditation?

He was apparently here alone, without his wife and baby for awhile, after he transferred to his job here. Is that correct?

If so, it is possible that he made a friend or two here, before his family arrived in town. That might be a source of jealousy or anger?

Yeah, that's a definite possibility, IMO. It's also possible that CV made an enemy or two in town during that time. We don't have too many confirmed basic background details to work with yet.

SV's dad said that CV moved from Colorado to Texas first to find a good home for Shanna and their unborn child. We don't know when CV arrived in Forth Worth or how long thereafter SV joined him. But, we know she was in Forth Worth by August, when she gave birth.

SV's dad said the couple picked the safest neighborhood they could find, but now he thinks it wasn't a safe neighborhood after all.

cactus_image_1200x675_835768899992.jpg
^ This is their corner house (source: Star-Telegram).

It sold in May 2016, according to a Zillow search. And, it's a pretty safe neighborhood, according to locals posting here.

It's not clear if CV transferred from a Costco in Colorado to one in Forth Worth, Texas. I've only read that he worked at Costco in Forth Worth (but not which FW Costco) from SV's dad and unnamed "family and friends".

Assaults as in, being hit? Or verbal assaults? (or both?)

This is so sad. Of course they're looking at the person who lives with the victims. The manner of death is appalling. Rest in peace, Shannon and Diederik. Put a bow & a death sentence on this one, FWPD.

So horrific also for the first officials (police or medical) on scene who had to check for signs of life ... :(

Tapatalk app allows thanking and is easier than using your phone's browser, if that's what you're using?

For some reason, I was resistant to using tapatalk for a long time... Related to my general resistance to cell phones probably (with the exception of 2 brief stints in 1996 and 2002, I managed to not own a cell until 2013) but when I gave in, I was pleased I had.

LOL! I was resistant to give up my pager!! I finally purchased (In the mid 1990s) a cell phone because I was commuting quite a way through the high desert and I just might need one. I remember thinking that as soon as I got a job closer to home I would not need a cell phone any longer!

Yeah, that's a definite possibility, IMO. It's also possible that CV made an enemy or two in town during that time. We don't have too many confirmed basic background details to work with yet.

SV's dad said that CV moved from Colorado to Texas first to find a good home for Shanna and their unborn child. We don't know when CV arrived in Forth Worth or how long thereafter SV joined him. But, we know she was in Forth Worth by August, when she gave birth.

SV's dad said the couple picked the safest neighborhood they could find, but now he thinks it wasn't a safe neighborhood after all.

View attachment 106383
^ This is their corner house (source: Star-Telegram).

It sold in May 2016, according to a Zillow search. And, it's a pretty safe neighborhood, according to locals posting here.

It's not clear if CV transferred from a Costco in Colorado to one in Forth Worth, Texas. I've only read that he worked at Costco in Forth Worth (but not which FW Costco) from SV's dad and unnamed "family and friends".

Most Costcos are in decent areas and he supposedly lived not too far from one. But wouldn't she make way more than him since she was a RN. Now I know she just had the baby and was on leave; But she would have been making decent income once she got back into the workforce. So finances shouldnt be the motive this soon into relocating. Idk

I don't know if finances could have factored into the murders if CV is the killer.

Maybe SV was supposed to go back to work sooner and wasn't on paid maternity leave, or CV was nursing an expensive habit and piled up a lot of debt, or CV only said he was working but was instead off playing around and not contributing financially and got busted out by SV -- just examples from other intimate homicide cases.

IF CV is the killer, it's just as likely or more likely to me that he had or wanted a separate life and that was a primary motive.

This is beyond comprehension. A mother and her baby were found with their throats slit?
I'm speechless. I can't imagine that a dad would do that to his own baby son, but, I know, it
really could happen. What is wrong with this entire world?

Assaults as in, being hit? Or verbal assaults? (or both?)
Both. Remember, assault is different from battery, but I have witnessed both and experienced both. It is sadly not uncommon. 😔

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back