Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #8 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pediatrician apparently also testified that in addition to the broken arm and leg bones, Sherin also had broken ribs. The questions regarding 'did Sherin vomit that night and did you wash her clothes' makes me wonder if she wasn't beaten and died of internal injuries. Wesley telling police that he was holding Sherin and she became cold and stiff adds to my suspicion. He then supposedly woke up Sini and told her something terrible had happened. I wonder if the translation could be: "You beat her too hard this time and she just died"
I broke my arm twice as a kid, and when I think about the impact it took to cause those injuries, I feel ill for this little girl. (Mine were play injuries in front of witnesses - I was a Tom boy.) I mean, I landed on my back on the asphalt with a thud once that knocked me out and broke my arm during dodge ball at recess. That was the most minor break. So what did they do to her to break her ribs and femur?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The part that chilled me was how both SM and WM were asked if they felt that Sherin was "damaged goods." I don't think they hurt their other daughter. They did not view Sherin as important or worthy or even human, and they were beyond upset/furious that Sherin had special needs. They were, in my opinion, never parents for Sherin. Just monsters and abusers. Horrible.
This sickens me beyond belief. I get angry enough on a regular basis about people treating pets, sentient beings, like they are products to be returned or exchanged and like some are defective. I often use the defective product example when talking about how these animals I rescue have been treated. I like to think that at least children are not treated this way by my fellow humans. But here we are. Some people are clearly deplorable enough to feel this way about even a child.

I know some of you probably feel what I feel from time to time in this thread - that we just want to go back in time and scoop this little child up in our arms, hold her tightly and lovingly, take her home, and protect her for life.

It’s no wonder she had no appetite - she was constantly in pain! And no wonder she had developmental delays...how could she develop normally in those circumstances?
I worry that she DID have an appetite and that they sometimes withheld food from her as punishment. Imagine that hell if you started life with food uncertainty and then ended up not having enough later as punishment.

I wonder why Sini hasn’t tried to bond out of there? IMO she is 100% guilty of hurting this little angel and should NEVER be anywhere alone with a child again. And personally from initial pictures while in India, I do not believe that Sini ever wanted the child. Her expressions are always so glum in those pictures, she is never radiant like I would be to have this angel in my home and raise her as my daughter.
She probably suspects if she bonds out they will do what they did with Wesley and rearrest her on another charge anyway.

I worry that she DID have an appetite and that they sometimes withheld food from her as punishment. Imagine that hell if you started life with food uncertainty and then ended up not having enough later as punishment.

Isn't it interesting that when they first brought Sherin home, she didn't have any eating problems---they made that claim themselves. Then when she was diagnosed with Failure to Thrive, they were referred to someone who gave them some advice, outlined a program for her, and told them to bring her back in a month or so. According to Maria G., they didn't go back. They gave her one glass of whole milk on Sundays (also according to Maria G). These are the same parents who have claimed they got up, even in the middle of the night, to give Sherin nutritious drinks because she was malnourished. What a couple of Sad Sacks those two are.

Hey!

Marisa51984 said:
snipped by me...
Clearly, stating your name, is not criminal, so their must be some reasoning behind why one would just plead the fifth for it all.

From what I understand - if you plead the fifth, you have to do it to ALL questions, no matter what they are. But I did notice in georgiajean's post from the hearing is that Sini answer Yes to a few of the questions. So now I'm not too sure "how" that works! :)

Jo in Calif said:
I'll tell you I was on the fence if Sini was a bad mother to Sherin, but from the questions asked I fell off that fence so hard I might need medical attention!

:fencefall: Ouch!
cast-smiley.gif

I'm angry along with you all from what I've read of the custody hearing.... just no words.... poor Sherin!

Thank you all for the links & transcribing! :wave:

Absolutely SICKENED by the abuse this child has endured and we likely haven't heard the half of it. Do we know if the bio child was similarly abused?

Absolutely SICKENED by the abuse this child has endured and we likely haven't heard the half of it. Do we know if the bio child was similarly abused?

I don't think we have heard about that yet. BUT, although I would never want to think that the bio child went through this as well, I have a sick feeling that this was limited to Sherin only. Bio is the bio. Their (Sini) concern for the bio over Sherin has always been paramount.

The pediatrician apparently also testified that in addition to the broken arm and leg bones, Sherin also had broken ribs. The questions regarding 'did Sherin vomit that night and did you wash her clothes' makes me wonder if she wasn't beaten and died of internal injuries. Wesley telling police that he was holding Sherin and she became cold and stiff adds to my suspicion. He then supposedly woke up Sini and told her something terrible had happened. I wonder if the translation could be: "You beat her too hard this time and she just died"

What this indicates, IMHO, is that Sini is JUST AS GUILTY as the monster she married. It was Sini the Abuse Pediatrician was addressing. It was Sini who was making excuses for the abuse, blaming it on her daughter, falls, reaching out to catch her, etc. It always seemed to be Sini who was around when she suffered "until" the night in question. No wonder she didn't look for Sherin or talk to the media.

What this indicates, IMHO, is that Sini is JUST AS GUILTY as the monster she married. It was Sini the Abuse Pediatrician was addressing. It was Sini who was making excuses for the abuse, blaming it on her daughter, falls, reaching out to catch her, etc. It always seemed to be Sini who was around when she suffered "until" the night in question. No wonder she didn't look for Sherin or talk to the media.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised at this point if it was actually Sini and not WM that perpetrated the abuse on this child. In all the pics I saw in India when they were in the adoption process, I never saw Sini look happy at all.

They also referred to Sherin as "damaged goods." That sounds like something you would confide to a close friend vs a medical professional or CPS worker.....wonder if close friends have been turning on them since early on? That would explain the strong presence of friends/church members at first but then radio silence.

I wonder how the Mathews view themselves if they view an adoptive daughter with delays and issues she was born with/had no control over as "damaged goods?" They educated themselves (higher education), moved to the United States, the "land of opportunity" secured professional jobs/careers, had a very lovely home in a nice neighborhood and had a cute little family, were active in their Church community, then destroyed absolutely everything/all of that in a day. But Sherin was damaged goods? That girl had nothing to work with. They had everything and still couldn't manage a good life for themselves. They're the ones who are damaged and did an enormous amount of damaging.

Okay folks I first want to say that I am sorry for ducking out on you yesterday. Once I got the partial video up and a few tweets that answered some of our long term questions, I had to check out. Yesterday’s revelations just drained the life out of me and I needed to shut down and sleep. To escape the horror Sherin couldn’t. I have seen worse cases upfront and personal but I just had to decompress and step away this time. Now, that being said let me try to spread some grouchyness.

I don’t know where to start so this may not be totally cohesive. I want to address so much my brain is whirring. Ok, the femur fracture, the femur is the largest strongest bone in the human body. It takes a huge amount of force to fracture one and the pain can be immense partly due to the fact that a it takes stress everytime the human body is upright. Because it is located below the heart it had a throbbing pain. From what I could discern from the testimony Sherin did not initially recieve treatment for it as it seemed to be found in the full body x-ray series and it had begun to heal on it’s own. If it had been treated he type of casting would depend on which end of the femur was affected. So in essence Sherin kept waking around after the largest bone in her body was broken. Take a second to digest that..................

Maria made reference in her follow up video to the Dr. testifying that the arm fracture(s) story did not match the physical findings and the fracture had been from a “twisting”. I am willing to go out on a limb here and say that meant she had 1 or more spiral fractures. Spiral Factures are the holy grail of child abuse injuries. Children’s bones are still somewhat soft to allow for growth and will actually bend to a degree before actually breaking. Most childhood accidents that result in fractures create “greenstick fractures”, so named because the bones in essence had a degree of flexibility like the “green” or fresh stick from a tree. Spiral fractures are a result of being both pulled and twisted with great force. Any time a child has a spiral fracture abuse MUST be considered. An example of an accidental injury that could cause a spiral is getting a foot stuck in a way that would prevent it from moving with the rest of the body and then falling. The rapid move and the weight transfer that would occur during the fall would create the force while the unability to move the foot would cause the “twist”. I hope that helps to give you a better visualization of the mechanics involved.

Some of us, myself included have attempted to expain the added challenges and stressors that adoption can cause on the best of parents. I have often referred to the tools necessary to cope with these stressors. Now these added challenges in no way excuse a parents abuse of the child but serves to paint a picture of what can occur. Having the coping tools to deal with it is a absolute must. I can,now that the evidence is there conclude that not only did Sini and WM not have the tools necessary to deal with those challeges, they most likely didn’t even have the toolbox to keep them in.

I know that some took offense to my post about Sini and WM being more like us than was comfortable but I stand by that. It was the fact that they seemed on the surface like the “normal” family that I believe gave them the ability to continue to hurt this child after their doctor made a CPS referral for abuse. The fact that she was a nurse made physicians give her the benefit of the doubt longer than they would have in the case of the meth heads or the single parent. Doctors, nurses, teachers, lawyers and the such usually get treated differently in these incidents. They are better at coming up with good cover stories and excuses. People also tend to trust them more.

CPS should have removed both children if they could not determine who the abuser was, if for no other reason than simply because they couldn’t tell who was doing it. Sini tried to place the blame on the orphanage, the physical therapy, the other daughter and probably the day care and any one else she could come up with. On one hand they acted like the concerned parents worried about her weight and size and that would have been hard to reconcile with the x-rays and signs of abuse. Time and time again social services has failed children of abuse. It is a system that needs redesigned in a major way. The problem with CPS being held responsible for their inactivity in the case comes in because there is no one with legal standing to file a wrongful death civil case on Sherin’s behalf. Historically, it is the impending wrongful death suits that motivate social services to terminate employees that fail a child. In some states it is easier to hold them accountable for their inactivity than others. In the Gabriel Fernandez case in California 2 social workers and 2 supervisors are facing criminal trials for their part in leaving Gabriel with his killers. In the Adrian Jones case the maternal family had filed a lawsuit against Social Services in 2 states for leaving him with his killers.

At the beginning of yesterdays hearing the prosecutor entered into evidence various documents including birth certificates. She also entered into evidence the medial records of both children from Baylor. Sherin’s medical records in her short 15 months in Texas were about and inch and a half to 2 inch thick and the sisters was about a third larger in her nearly 4 years.

Maria referred to “services” from CPS in her video. Those are simply put reunification services. Those would include a reunification plan that lays out the expectations and requirements to regain custody, parent classes, anger management, random drug and alcohol testing, specific medical care or intervention. CPS has a wide latitude in the hoops it can require parents to jump through to regain custody.

As much as I hate to admit it I guess I owe and apology to Omair and the Omairettes who have been screaming loudly that Sini was the devil incarnate. They have lambasted her since the beginning. After yesterday, I too believe that she was the Alpha. That does not absolve WM. If indeed she was the primary abuser he was complicit. He knew and remained silent or if the opposite is true she knew. I now believe we are going to see a skull fracture in the autopsy. I believe Sherin suffered a head injury probably Wednesday evening or night. She missed day care Thursday we now know. She had been vomiting, a good indicator of possible head injury. They didn’t dare take her to dinner Friday evening as she was probably showing signs of the head injury with her cognitive functions altered. They knew if they sought medical care they would lose the other daughter and there was no way they would risk that for a defective child. They hoped she would pull through it just like her previous untreated injuries. When they came back from dinner she had vomited in the kitchen so they put her in the garage. At some point Sini went to bed and WM either stayed up or got up during the night and went to check on her. She vomited again and probably asperated some back into her lungs. That is the “choking” in confession 2.0. He held her with her tiny head on his shoulder until he believed she passed. She may have already passed when he went to the garage. I noticed a vent for the airconditioning in the video of the garage so she may have even been hypothermic from laying on the garage floor slowing her breathing and heart rate. She may have even been unconscious and not actually dead when he took her to the culvert. If so, death was imminent.

I think at this point it is safe to say that the two of them acted in concert to cover up the abuse and her death. I don’t know who actually dealt the blow that was the cause of death and frankly it doesn’t really matter. They both are equally responsible. They both allowed the abuse, neither reported it, the both failed to get her necessary medical attention, and they both covered up the death so as far as I am concerned they both killed her her just a surely as if they both fired a fatal shot. May god have mercy on them because I certainly hope that a jury won’t.

I am sure that I have left something important out but I need to stop now.

Here is a link to Marias video on my google drive in case anyone has trouble viewing it on her FB.

[video]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fYrbyLwcKkppU3LNIFsR-kYKf8kMZ9jz[/video]

Grouchymom, great post so far, I just had a thought while reading half way through...

Edited out*

Headed back up to finish reading your post, GC.

ETA: Grouchy has answered my question further down her post :)

Hey!

From what I understand - if you plead the fifth, you have to do it to ALL questions, no matter what they are. But I did notice in georgiajean's post from the hearing is that Sini answer Yes to a few of the questions. So now I'm not too sure "how" that works! :)

:fencefall: Ouch!
cast-smiley.gif

I'm angry along with you all from what I've read of the custody hearing.... just no words.... poor Sherin!

Thank you all for the links & transcribing! :wave:

I think possible it had to do with the difference between criminal and civil proceedings. The custody hearing, even though it determines guilt or innocence of abuse or neglect is considered civil proceedings because they cannot be incarcerated by their findings alone. So the 5th was only to protect then from what could be used against them in their criminal trials and not th proceeding at hand. This is what I was referring to in some of my earlier posts that if they take the 5th in the custody part it makes it nearly impossible to get the daughter back but if they testify openly and honestly it will be used agianst them in the Criminall trial and most certainly guarantee a prison sentence.

Grouchymom, great post so far, I just had a thought while reading half way through...

I didn't follow well yesterday, I think I was permanently refreshing Mariah's thread.

When did the break, particularly the femur happen? Why was Sherin still in their care?

Headed back up to finish reading your post, GC.
The femur was found on the full x-ray series, I am not sure if it was the first series or the second so that would be Jan - April of 2017. Yes the fracture occurred after she was in the US

I think I read in the tweets posted a couple pages back that SM stated that WM would do anything for her? Something along those lines...

My theory all along is she is the abuser in this relationship, and though it usually is men, there are many times it is women. So he went to prison for her, and is admitting guilt for her, because if he doesn’t maybe there is a darker threat underneath we know nothing about. I know about domestic abuse and lived through it for years... that statement to me said 1000 things and she is almost bragging... as abusers often do. Again WM in no way shape or form is free and clear, he had a hand in this too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catching up this morning. I'm horrified. That poor child.

Given how quickly after adoption CPS alleged she was in the hospital for a broken/fractured elbow, I am definitely leaning away from the MSM interview with a church member (i believe) that had said they continued with the adoption to give thanks to God for their Bio-child. I am leaning more towards the idea that they were already in the process of adopting when they conceived, when they gave birth one of the parents was likely abusive and they decided to proceed with the adoption in order to protect their bio daughter? I only consider that because of the CPS lawyer asking both parents if they considered Sherin to be "damaged goods". Both plead the 5th to that question. But, if they always considered her "damaged goods" or a throw away, disposable 'thing' it could have been emotionally easier to hurt her as she didn't have the same "value" as their own child. Of course it also could have been a typical bad marriage type of scenario where when things get bad, you have another child to try and fix the relationship and it is good for awhile while you are focused on the upcoming arrival, and then the exhaustion of a new child hits and the depression and intimacy etc all rear their ugly heads again and the entire home becomes toxic. Perhaps they figured things would be easier if bio child had a sibling of the same age to entertain her? So many what ifs and maybes. Unless one of them is offered a really really good deal, I can't imagine we will ever know the truth, and even then, it will only be truth enough to meet their end of the deal...

JMO

It's still a bridge too far for me to believe that they deliberately chose to adopt with a plan to abuse her. It's my understanding that in some families abuse is targeted on a single child, or possibly one at a time (if the first victim grows up, moves away or is removed). And the reasons can be many--the child "looks like" someone (the ex, for instance), or triggers something in the adult. I think also that family dynamics tend toward the assumption of roles (typically defined in terms of hero, scape-goat, lost-child, etc). No need for multiple scape-goats.

I am also still teetering between the options of Mom vs Dad as the abuser (or both). I can play scenarios either way in my head. In any case, clearly Sini was aware that the injuries were indicative of abuse, as the pediatrician told her so.

I am baffled, however, that with these many injuries, and the diagnosis of the pediatrician (who apparently has some credentials in identification of abuse) AND report(s) to CPS that there is no evidence of any protective actions. Even those that fall short of removal, such as parenting classes, anger management (I don't have a lot of faith in those approaches BTW--takes more than sitting in a class to change behavior), counseling, don't appear to have been required/implemented. Certainly there are times when evidence is so shaky (such as being limited to neighbor reports or teacher speculation with nothing solid to back it up) that it is difficult for CPS to take action. And sometimes the call is very difficult, weighing the potential harm of leaving a child with family suspected of abuse against the disruption of removal (which cannot be ignored). I just don't see that this case should not have resulted in some action by CPS.

How was anyone to know that Sini and Wesley would turn out to be the parents from Hell? I get that CPS shoulda, woulda, coulda but in the end it's Sini and Wesley who tortured and murdered Sherin.

Shame on everyone who failed Sherin, including the pediatrician who didn't insist on a more rigorous investigation, and CPS who dropped the ball but in the end it was Sherin's own adoptive parents who treated her as a subhuman and felt they could do as they pleased to her with no concern of the impact on her.

No amount of explaining by either parent will ever mitigate the hateful treatment of Sherin.

I agree, I don't see that there were indicators of what was to come as they were home-studied.

I also am not wholly willing to point a finger at the adoption follow-up visits, which are likely carried out by a contracted worker, within a framework intended to look at things like how the child and family are adapting to their new family status. Certainly if they spot some abuse indicators, they would be required to report them, but I wouldn't necessarily expect them to do a complete review of all medical records.

I have no problem believing, however, that CPS completely dropped the ball and I am very curious about how that came about.

End of the day, no escaping responsibility on the part of either parent at this point--whether as abuser or enabler. Still, given the amount of information that was apparently made available to CPS, it would appear as though there ought to have been some intervention.

I wonder what they told the doctor about how Sherin fractured an arm a leg and ribs? Did those fractures occur in the home or outside the home where there might have been witnesses? Like for example if she fell off of a swing or play gym at a park or something similar? Wonder what about it the Doctor thought was suspicious enough to report to CPS? Children do have accidents after all especially when they are toddlers and very young.

Apparently one set of injuries was reported to the doc as resulting from the sister pushing Sherin off the couch and the other reported as Sherin falling off a slide and both parents grabbing her arms. However the pediatrician testified that these explanations did not fit with the injuries and did make a report to CPS.

I thought I saw (based on the questions being asked of Sini yesterday) that Sherin was not always taken to the same doc/ER for treatment for her "accidents," which is a fairly common way for abusers to try to avoid detection. But the doc's suspicions were sufficient to order a whole raft of x-rays at two different points in time (the 2nd set was helpful in establishing a rate by which bones were healing and ruled out the possibility of injuries before coming to the US). It also appears that it was Sini that took her to the docs and offered the explanations (WM was not available to the docs to confirm the story).

I know zip about human services/CPS in Texas, but I certainly hope this spurs some examination of factors that allowed for this child to slip through the cracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diannewl