TX TX - Shonna Wesley, 16, Dallas, 29 May 1981

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

Shonna Danette Wesley
Dallas County, Texas
16 year old black/african american female

Height (inches)65.0
Weight (pounds)130.0

Black hair
Brown eyes

Scar on head.

Clothing: Blue jeans, t-shirt

Shonna was last seen on May 29, 1981.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/27571/

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Shonna was last seen in Dallas, Texas on May 29, 1981. The same day she disappeared, her two-year-old daughter was found abandoned, wearing only a t-shirt and a diaper, at the South Oak Cliff apartment complex. She wasn't identified immediately and spent a week in foster care before her grandmother stepped forward and claimed her.

In the meantime, Shonna's boyfriend contacted her mother to say she'd disappeared, along with a lot of her wardrobe. Shonna's mother reported her missing on June 2.

Little information is available in Shonna's case. Her mother, who died in 2002, never believed she left of her own accord, stating she wouldn't have abandoned her child. Her case remains unsolved.

http://charleyproject.org/case/shonna-dannette-wesley

Sadly, another one murdered by her boyfriend. I wonder if the police ever looked for blood in their house or if they bought the idea that she left her baby and man all of suddent to never be heard from again. Feel like this was sloppy handled at the time.

Shonna Dannette Wesley – The Charley Project
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Shonna Dannette Wesley
  • shonna_dannette_wesley_1.jpg
Shonna, circa 1981

• Missing Since05/29/1981
  • Missing FromDallas, Texas
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth12/10/1964 (54)
  • Age16 years old
  • Height and Weight5'5, 130 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA t-shirt and blue jeans.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsAfrican-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Shonna has a scar on her head. Her middle name may be spelled "Danette."
Details of Disappearance
Shonna was last seen in Dallas, Texas on May 29, 1981. The same day she disappeared, her two-year-old daughter was found abandoned, wearing only a t-shirt and a diaper, at the South Oak Cliff apartment complex. She wasn't identified immediately and spent a week in foster care before her grandmother stepped forward and claimed her.

In the meantime, Shonna's boyfriend contacted her mother to say she'd disappeared, along with a lot of her wardrobe. Shonna's mother reported her missing on June 2.

Little information is available in Shonna's case. Her mother, who died in 2002, never believed she left of her own accord, stating she wouldn't have abandoned her child. Her case remains unsolved.

an article from 2015

Adult daughter looks for long-lost mother | wfaa.com
Adult daughter looks for long-lost mother

DALLAS — All Shandonder Wesley has is one faded picture of her mother.

For nearly 34 years, she has wondered what happened to that woman, who disappeared in 1981 without a trace.

Wesley doesn't remember her mother, nor does she really know much about her. But finally — after months of trying — she has convinced the Dallas Police Department to re-open the case into the disappearance of her mother, Shonna Wesley.

Last week, detectives took a DNA sample from Shandonder Wesley.

"It makes me feel good that that I'm not going at it alone anymore," she said. "Somebody cares besides me."

On the same day her mother disappeared, Wesley was found abandoned in a South Oak Cliff apartment complex. She was two years old at the time, wearing only a shirt and diaper when discovered.

"We were said to be on our way to the store to meet with her boyfriend at the time and never returned," Wesley said. She has heard stories that a man and woman may have dropped her off.

No one knew who she was for a week after turning up in 1981, and Wesley was placed in foster care. Her mother recognized her when her article and picture ran in the newspaper. A picture shows them being reunited.

In the meantime, her mother's boyfriend had contacted her grandmother, telling her that Shonna Wesley had gone missing. Her grandmother filed a missing persons report on June 2, 1981.

Wesley's grandmother told police her daughter's clothing was not missing, but a lot of her granddaughters' wardrobe was gone.

"As much as she loved this baby, she wouldn't just walk away and leave," her grandmother, Mary Wesley, told The Dallas Morning News. "I think something else is keeping her from coming back."

Shandonder Wesley says her grandmother, who raised her, didn't talk much about what was behind her mother's disappearance.

"She wanted to make me feel like she was my mother," Wesley said. "She would say things like, 'Your mother loved you. She would never leave you.' She wanted me to know that."

Wesley's grandmother died in 2002.

"It really hit home when she passed away," she said. "That hole was reopened."

She says she has suspicions about her mother's boyfriend, and would like to know if he knows something.

Now a mother herself, Shandonder Wesley just needs to know what happened to the mother she never knew.

"I know that I can't grow old not trying," she said. "I mean, if I find nothing, then I find nothing. But I at least want to try. Or if she is out there, I least want her to see that I'm reaching out to her and maybe she'll reach out to me. If for any reason there was a tragedy and she is deceased, I would like to know that, too. Again: Either way is closure for me."

¿Was the boyfriend cleared? I think he is a viable suspect

Found this article as I was researching this case to write about on NewsBreak. According to the article I found at Newspapers.com, Shonna was six months pregnant when she disappeared. Her mother, Mary Wesley, got a call from the boyfriend saying Shonna was gone and had taken her clothes. Mary filed a missing persons report on June 2, 1981. She didn't realize her granddaughter had been abandoned at an apartment complex until she saw a picture of Shandonder in the newspaper. I'm having no luck finding the article about Shandonder being found. I'm having no luck finding other source articles from 1981, either.

Attachments

• Shonna Wesley - 2 year old daughter found.jpg
    Shonna Wesley - 2 year old daughter found.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 5
Found this article as I was researching this case to write about on NewsBreak. According to the article I found at Newspapers.com, Shonna was six months pregnant when she disappeared. Her mother, Mary Wesley, got a call from the boyfriend saying Shonna was gone and had taken her clothes. Mary filed a missing persons report on June 2, 1981. She didn't realize her granddaughter had been abandoned at an apartment complex until she saw a picture of Shandonder in the newspaper. I'm having no luck finding the article about Shandonder being found. I'm having no luck finding other source articles from 1981, either.
This article also uses the name Shandondea rather than Shandonder. I wondered if Shandonder was somehow a combination of Shonna and the boyfriend's first names.

I posted in this UID thread, wondering if she could be Shonna TX - TX - Wise Co, UnkFem 13-35, UP4028, buried skeletal, PMI 5-15 yrs, blk hair, Jun'89 (websleuths.com)
Where the remains were found are only a 1 hour drive from Dallas where Shonna went missing and the perp had gone to lengths to hide them (they were buried). Depending on the type of DNA, Namus may not have compared the UID and Shonna's daughter automatically?
It was reported in a 2015 article that the Dallas Police Department took DNA from Shandonder when they re-opened the missing persons case. The NamUs entry was made on January 29, 2015, but there's no mention of DNA on file.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back