GUILTY TX - Sida Osman, 5, Fort Worth, 25 June 2013

Just re-read my above post and hope it doesn't sound too confusing- sorry if I ramble :blushing:
The other point that really tugs at my heart right now is that there are SO MANY KIDS that suffer from PTSD in America that are not being helped. All my research and books with specifics are in my office, so sorry I am not citing references right now... but it is my professional opinion that many of the kids who are involved in illegal behaviors are suffering from the long term effects of trauma. The behaviors are symptoms. Family court judges are beginning to understand this connection, and I applaud those who strictly enforce mental health services for adjudicated youth, rather than label as "bad", send to an institution where a criminal identity is further established, tricks of the trade learned, etc...
It is very likely, IMO, that this 13 year old has experienced trauma and has been on a self and other destructive path ever since. So, thank you to the earlier posts about PTSD- we need to remember that many "criminal" children are victims themselves, again, IMO>
I have met some youth who I believe are true sociopaths. But in 13+ years, including working with incarcerated youth, I think I can count the number on one (maybe 2) hands of those who I believed are truly beyond help. Most super angry, bullying, tough kids are really scared and hurt and could be rehabilitated with the right treatments (IMHO.)
Final thought for the moment (thanks for your patience) is that it seems important to judge people with culturally sensitive glasses on. In some cultures, LE is not considered an option to consider, or are distrusted, for example. Or it could have been considered a private family matter... There are plenty of possible reasons why Sida's family waited to call the police and why he was allowed to ride his bike outside, just something to consider.
In any case, I am sad that the violent death of a poor child from a refugee family of color hasn't received the attention it deserves (I will withhold my thoughts on that) and send out love to his family.

Thinking of Sida's family and also of the family of the 13 year old, who have also lost a son. Clearly there is something beyond not right with him.

RIP Sida.

Thank you Sunshine. :seeya:
A family member of mine wrote about the difficulty in getting help... and asked that it be shared.
She has a 13 year old sister who has been diagnosed as a sociopath.

http://growinggaithers.blogspot.com/2012/12/mental-health-epidemic-please-share-its.html

Thanks MsFacetious!!! This is a wonderful and brave commentary that she wrote, thanks to her as well!
In honor of Sida, I will be sending an email to my Congressman regarding this issue today.
RIP little boy

Thinking of Sida's family and also of the family of the 13 year old, who have also lost a son. Clearly there is something beyond not right with him.

RIP Sida.

But the 13 year olds family did not lose a son. His family can still see him, talk to him, visit him. Sida's family can only visit a cemetery. Big difference, imo.

I have a grandson Sidas age and it just breaks my heart to think of that sweet little 5 year old to be beaten so savagely. I can't image how difficult this must be for the family. My thoughts and prayers are with them and their precious little boy.

I've been praying for Sida's family daily.

http://www.hiiraan.com/news4/2013/J...fort_worth_still_searching_for_sanctuary.aspx

Interesting article about Bantu refugees in that area of Fort Worth.

Ends with- "“They were raping our families,” said Ayub Ibrahim, a Somali Bantu who lives in Dallas. “They were killing us.”

And they made it out of Kenyan refugee camps.

Now, after Sida’s death, they wonder whether they can find sanctuary anywhere.

“We don’t know where we are going to be,” Bulle said. “We are just scared a lot.”"

:(

But the killer was another refugee right?
So this has nothing to do with where they were living... it was one of their own?

Yea it was one of their own, but their parents have their own trauma and discipline techniques. no disrespect intended. I listen to the scanners its sad- so many parents calling - but unless violence happens, its seems a waiting game - till that moment of violence. The offender was known as a problem, but his problem is not cause he lives in the usa. Killing a young child is not ok in any country.

I don't know how I missed this case, but it is so upsetting!

Sida, I am so sorry that we weren't there for you.

:cry:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Te...Be-Open-to-Public-228825741.html?_osource=Soc

"If convicted, the suspect could spend the next 40 years behind bars -- first in juvenile detention and then prison."

My take is (after reading this thread & his background of violence) he'll never see the light of day, no matter what sentence he is given. He'll start trouble & hurt, maim or kill another prisoner somewhere along the line which will add years to his sentence.

Thank you Lady and Paulette. This is so disturbing. I'm happy for Sida to get justice. But I cannot say that I'm happy to think about a trial where another ' child' will sit for trial. It's just so sad. I am a full believer in that he should face trial and should face the prison sentence, but it is not the same kind of vindictive victory that I feel when an adult sits trial for killing a baby. The whole thing is sad. I pray there is peace for all :(

This whole thing sucks ! :( It's justice but it's not kinda good justice that anyone can feel good about. I don't even know really what I think. Anyone who bashes in a baby's head deserves life in prison. In Tx, we have the dp and I agree with it almost always and especially for a child victim, but I understand they cannot give it to another child. This is just a really bad deal for everyone. :(

Ive waited a day to see how I feel about this sentence and I just do not agree. Im glad he is getting time but I have a hard time thinking he will be okay when he comes out. He will be young enough to cause so much more damage when he gets out along with the fact that he will be living with other low life criminals only fueling him more. Light justice is better then none. Sida can go to the store whenever he feel like and there will be so many wanting to go with him now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back