Found Deceased TX- Tanner Hoang Missed Lunch w/ Family Before Graduation Ceremony - College Station

The positive thing here is that Austin is a populous city with a fun reputation and lots of young people. If he were going to self-harm, I think he would have driven someplace remote. I'm optimistic that Tanner will be found alive.

The positive thing here is that Austin is a populous city with a fun reputation and lots of young people. If he were going to self-harm, I think he would have driven someplace remote. I'm optimistic that Tanner will be found alive.
True. Also, he got that car from school to Austin, implying he didn‘t act irreversibly out the gate. I pray he is found safe and his loved ones coat him in reassurance and care and calm. I like the odds.

Is the damage to his car new or was it that way when he went missing?

DEC 22, 2022
Missing Texas A&M student Tanner Hoang’s car has been found in a parking area in Austin, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.

DPS and police were investigating and processing the car on Thursday but there’s still no sign of the 22-year-old.

Law enforcement declined to say where specifically the unattended car was located.

[...]

Not disclosing where the car was found is worrisome. It makes me think it was found near a river, bridge, wooded area etc! Hopefully he is camping out somewhere and getting his mind straight
Not good considering it is 11 degrees tonight. :( Call your parents or friends, Tanner. There's always another option.

Glad the police are taking this seriously. Locating the car passing by on an incredibly busy highway (Hwy 290 is one of two main routes between Houston and Austin) took some effort. They likely bracketed it by taking the time stamp from the Caldwell stop and estimated what time he would have passed through Elgin.

I speculated early on that Tanner might be connecting with high school friends now living in Austin. Tanner's friends will know if he often visits Austin.

I'm hoping Tanner has an accomplice friend who picked him up and he's hanging out at that person's apartment, safe and warm, drinking really good coffee, because apparently no twenty-something in Austin would even think about drinking bad coffee.

Last edited:
from the Finding Tanner facebook page.

"We have been given approval to let you know that Tanner’s vehicle was found near the hiking trail leading to the Pennybacker Bridge Overlook at Hwy 360 and the Colorado River. DPS and APD searched the general area with negative results yesterday. Austin PD towed the vehicle and held it for processing. It has now been released to the family."

Near a bridge overlook doesn't have a very positive sound to it.

7061660_medium_1565211232.jpg

As a Texas A&M Alumni, my heart goes out to Tanner and his family. The pressure of trying to meet graduation requirements and then finding out you didn’t meet them must have been too much. I remember being his age. I felt every set back and challenge so deeply. Of course, I know now my frontal lobe wasn’t fully developed. Thus, I didn’t yet have the reasoning skills and emotional intelligence to process certain “bumps” in the road. According the the “Find Tanner Hoang” FB page, they are focusing on getting on the water and searching. It doesn’t sound good. I am hoping and praying for a positive outcome.

DEC 23, 2022
Missing Texas A&M student Tanner Hoang, who hasn’t been heard from since Dec. 16, had his vehicle located in an Austin parking area Thursday afternoon. An update Friday afternoon revealed his vehicle was found near the hiking trail leading to the Pennybacker Bridge Overlook at Texas 360 and the Colorado River.

[...]

The search for Hoang will continue in two different, but simultaneous, directions going forward, according to those searching for him. Hoang’s family also has been coordinating with law enforcement to engage Texas EquuSearch in a search-and-rescue effort in the surrounding area and along the river. They expect this search to begin Monday.

... Hoang turned off his cell phone at around 8:30 a.m. Dec. 16 and left his apartment in the 900 block of Colgate Drive in College Station at around 11 a.m.

[...]

from the Finding Tanner facebook page.

"We have been given approval to let you know that Tanner’s vehicle was found near the hiking trail leading to the Pennybacker Bridge Overlook at Hwy 360 and the Colorado River. DPS and APD searched the general area with negative results yesterday. Austin PD towed the vehicle and held it for processing. It has now been released to the family."

Near a bridge overlook doesn't have a very positive sound to it.
Former Austin resident & have visited this trail.

I would not have towed the vehicle, especially without a clear idea of how long it had been there. He might need it for shelter.

It's a long walk (1 mile plus) to anywhere with open public space (restaurant, gas station, etc.) from the roadside parking below the trailheads there.

Pennybacker Bridge is heavily traveled by vehicles & even the trails could have been quite active until the Arctic blast arrived Thursday.

I feel confident someone will have seen him or his vehicle and can give LE idea of when he arrived there. Hopefully some cams picked up his vehicle, as well.

I really don't see him jumping from the bridge - it's not set up for pedestrians - but anything is possible, I guess. Equusearch is a great idea but despite the holiday, I would say the sooner, the better.

I was hoping he would be hanging out on 6th Street where bars & restaurants are plentiful. Easy to blend into the young crowd there.

I wonder how familiar Tanner is with Austin? To me, the trails on the bluffs above the river north of Pennybacker are more of a local attraction than a place an out-of-towner would know about/choose.

JMO

Words from Tanner's roommate from the public Find page:
Hey y’all my name is -blank- and I am Tanner’s roommate. For those of you in here that do not know Tanner, I want to provide some info to help you know him a little better. There are some people that just add value to any situation they are in. No matter what you are doing, you would rather that person be there than not. Tanner is one of those people. Whether it was playing golf, getting a beer, or just hanging out at the house, it was always more fun if Tanner was there. There are countless jokes that he came up with on the spot that I can still hear in my head. He has become one of my best friends over these last few years and is one of the people I can always count on to be in a good mood, and lift my spirits as well. I couldn’t say a bad thing about him if I tried.
The unfortunate reality is a person who can seem so happy and content on the outside can still be dealing with so much that no one knows about. We had absolutely no idea of what he was going through and no reason to think anything was up. There is always help all around you and the hardest part is asking for it. I would give anything to have the chance to sit down with Tanner and find a way to help him through whatever is going on, no matter what it is. Even though we don’t know what is going on right now, we must continue to pray for that he is alright.
If you are facing anything on your own, please talk to someone. I promise your friends and family care about you and would do anything for you when it comes down to it. Also check on your friends, you never know what someone is hiding behind a smile. We are stronger together and your problems aren’t as bad as they seem when you are facing them in secret. Love all y’all for your efforts to try and find Tanner and I am hoping for his swift and safe return.
I agree. Many comedians and others who add much to our lives are often struggling with issues most of us would never guess.

I live in the area his car was found. Last night, word got out to those of us who live on the lake to check our docks and use our boats to help search for him. Many of us obliged, although the unusually low temps make boating a challenge. Right now, there are multiple emergency vehicles at the overlook — several fire trucks, ambulances, and police cars. I have to imagine it’s related to the search for Tanner. Praying for peace for his family.

if he has been found in this search, what a tragedy. As many have already stated, the 'crisis' he reacted to could have been eventually resolved. Family would have been upset but would have helped him work things out. Credits can be made up, transferred, dropped, done over, etc. It didnt have to come this this. :(

update from the find Tanner fb page. The news we were hoping wasn't true. RIP Tanner

"We know everyone is invested in the search for Tanner and we want to thank all of you for your tremendous help throughout the week. You all are amazing.
This afternoon Tanner was found deceased in the vicinity of the Pennybacker Bridge on Loop 360. This is not the outcome that we have all been praying for, but on this Christmas Eve, Tanner is now in the arms of his Savior, King, Prince of Peace, Joy, and Healer. No foul play is suspected."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back