TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #46

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion and it is a humble one. The SP would not need to shoot MB as he was covered head to toe in a police uniform. MB would not have been able to identify the SP and he could have easily just have said he is a cop investigating a break in. No need to shoot her. In my opinion this was a targeted attack.
I’m a frequent lurker. Take care everyone.

BBM

..if he was able to talk.

-Nin

(Welcome!)

The puncture wound(s) at the head did not cause a closed casket service so her face was likely not effected or else the entry wound was small in size and was hidden by hair or cosmetics by the funeral parlor.

That's a great point, 100% consistent with what we have been told.

Yes there was a closed casket service, but if they almost decided to make it open casket (as we have otherwise been told), then apparently the gunshots did not really create significant enough damage as to cause it to be closed. Obviously her appearance wasn't extremely messed up. So that would hint that there were no other highly noticeable wounds to the face and neck area.

I don't think her skull was crushed with the hammer but other puncture wounds could have been suffered by SP swinging that dang hammer he's so fond of.

But were there any "other puncture wounds"? Until we knew she was killed by gunshot, it was assumed that she was hit with various objects. But now that we know she was killed by gunshot and gunshots are classed as puncture wounds, we have been given no indication there were other wounds beyond the various bullet wounds.

In my opinion and it is a humble one. The SP would not need to shoot MB as he was covered head to toe in a police uniform. MB would not have been able to identify the SP and he could have easily just have said he is a cop investigating a break in. No need to shoot her. In my opinion this was a targeted attack.

I'm also a frequent lurker as I feel I don't have much to contribute. I go back and forth as to targeted or interrupted burglary. I've thought out this whole scenario and I've recently come to believe she was targeted. I don't believe this was a "hit" but an attempted abduction gone wrong. I think she fought back and was non-compliant which surprised him, so he shot her. I believe someone was obsessed with her and it was probably someone she didn't know or at least didn't know well. They were probably stalking her facebook page and knew she was going to be there that morning. This my opinion and latest theory.

I'm also a frequent lurker as I feel I don't have much to contribute. I go back and forth as to targeted or interrupted burglary. I've thought out this whole scenario and I've recently come to believe she was targeted. I don't believe this was a "hit" but an attempted abduction gone wrong. I think she fought back and was non-compliant which surprised him, so he shot her. I believe someone was obsessed with her and it was probably someone she didn't know or at least didn't know well. They were probably stalking her facebook page and knew she was going to be there that morning. This my opinion and latest theory.

Maybe. But how likely is it that someone who is “obsessed” with Missy would be able to cover up their tracks so well for five years? Aren’t obsessed killers usually caught pretty quickly?

And the other thing that is problematic - an obsession would normally be by a male if we are talking about Missy’s case. The killer’s height is somewhere around 5’5” which makes it very likely to be a woman. Hard to see a woman being obsessed enough with Missy to kill her, unless it’s the wife of a lover of Missy’s. But then you have to wonder how there wouldn’t have been some kind of a trail for police to follow.

Welcome to Websleuths, Gumshoejane.

I can go along with a targeted hit. If one was to plan a targeted killing, it's hard to think of a better place than the empty church in the early morning hours. Missy is isolated from friends, family and the public. She's distanced from her phone and gun. She's away from her vehicle. It's dark. The killer has the surprise advantage.

Where else could a targeted hit on Missy have occurred that would cover all these bases?

Maybe. But how likely is it that someone who is “obsessed” with Missy would be able to cover up their tracks so well for five years? Aren’t obsessed killers usually caught pretty quickly?

And the other thing that is problematic - an obsession would normally be by a male if we are talking about Missy’s case. The killer’s height is somewhere around 5’5” which makes it very likely to be a woman. Hard to see a woman being obsessed enough with Missy to kill her, unless it’s the wife of a lover of Missy’s. But then you have to wonder how there wouldn’t have been some kind of a trail for police to follow.

Good points. I think SP was a loner and nobody was aware of his obsession with Missy, including her. Which is why LE can't connect him to her. I think he stalked from a distance or possibly saw her regularly and became obsessed. But she paid him no attention. Never looked twice at him. Which in his warped mind probably offended him.

The height of SP does indicate female, however there are 5'5" males in the world. To be frank, Missy was an attractive woman and at 5'5" as a male SP probably struggled to attract a woman like her. Based on the photos I've seen BB seems to be on the taller side. Which could further suggest she completely ignored SP.

But now you have me leaning towards untargeted again. I just struggle to come up with an explanation for that outfit or why she was shot.

BBM

-Nin

(Welcome!)
BBM

-Nin

(Welcome!)
Hi NIn, thank you for the welcome. I am very intrigued by your theory that the SP may be hearing impaired/mute. I have always believed there to be a disability of some sort( something with his gait is off , perhaps an injury to his leg or prosthetic limb?) Now I’m really intrigued by your suggestion and the possibility that this was perhaps someone who was surprised and felt cornered etc? I still lean towards target attack but your suggestion certainly gives me pause.

Th

I can go along with a targeted hit. If one was to plan a targeted killing, it's hard to think of a better place than the empty church in the early morning hours. Missy is isolated from friends, family and the public. She's distanced from her phone and gun. She's away from her vehicle. It's dark. The killer has the surprise advantage.

Where else could a targeted hit on Missy have occurred that would cover all these bases?
Thank you for the welcome Gliving.

Politely snipped by me

But were there any "other puncture wounds"? Until we knew she was killed by gunshot, it was assumed that she was hit with various objects. But now that we know she was killed by gunshot and gunshots are classed as puncture wounds, we have been given no indication there were other wounds beyond the various bullet wounds.

A firearm is one single tool made for killing. However, the SW states the wounds were consistent with the tools (plural; more than one) SP carried.

Warrant details how Texas church murder victim died
Terri Bevers had multiple puncture wounds found on her head and chest ... consistent with the tools the suspect was carrying throughout the building," according to the warrant

Fitness trainer murdered in Texas church had multiple puncture wounds 'consistent with tools' carried by suspect
A fitness trainer slain in a Texas church last month had multiple puncture wounds to her head and chest "consistent with tools" carried by the suspect, who remains at large.

A firearm is one single tool made for killing. However, the SW states the wounds were consistent with the tools (plural; more than one) SP carried.

Warrant details how Texas church murder victim died
Terri Bevers had multiple puncture wounds found on her head and chest ... consistent with the tools the suspect was carrying throughout the building," according to the warrant

Fitness trainer murdered in Texas church had multiple puncture wounds 'consistent with tools' carried by suspect
A fitness trainer slain in a Texas church last month had multiple puncture wounds to her head and chest "consistent with tools" carried by the suspect, who remains at large.

You're right in noting that this wording was certainly broad enough and vague enough to allow more possibilities - no question.

But it's so imprecise (deliberately so, imo) that we are actually told almost nothing definitive. From that hazy wording (and knowing from elsewhere that she was killed by gunshot), it could have been just two bullets - one to head, one to chest - and that's all. Or it could have been multiple weapons, lots of various wounds, and more.

It says the suspect carried tools (plural). But it doesn't actually say whether it took all of those tools, some of them, or just one to create the puncture wounds. (In fact, it actually doesn't say perp killed her using any tool he had been carrying.)

I don't like to have to look at semantics, but we just can't be definitive when LE wasn't precise in their wording. And they weren't. It's certainly possible there were more wounds than just bullet holes, but we don't have anything from LE that actually FORCES us to that conclusion.

Search warrants are not the infallible Word of MPD. They can, and do, have mistakes in them. One prime example is that the very first warrant stated Missy was found in the SW corner. She wasn’t. It was either a typo or else someone at MPD mistakenly thought that the front entrance was considered “south” in which case Missy being at the SW corner would have been correct.

Another example is the BWH warrant which stated that BWH attended the same church as the Bevers family. He didn’t.

So I would not waste time dwelling on semantics such as whether “tool” is singular or plural.

Hi NIn, thank you for the welcome. I am very intrigued by your theory that the SP may be hearing impaired/mute. I have always believed there to be a disability of some sort( something with his gait is off , perhaps an injury to his leg or prosthetic limb?) Now I’m really intrigued by your suggestion and the possibility that this was perhaps someone who was surprised and felt cornered etc? I still lean towards target attack but your suggestion certainly gives me pause.

Gumshoejane, it is just another theory to make sense of the police outfit. Please keep posting on WS. We like to see everyone's input.

-Nin

Here is a lengthy post about the timeline of the suspect's movements inside the church. The summary is, that we end up with a rather tight timeline as opposed to think the perp had all the time in the world..(or so it apprears..)

Timeline (MPD updated video, MPD timestamped short video, GS corrected sequence video)

· NE camera picks up suspect emerging from room 8 (Connection Café) entering N hallway @ 3:50am

· Walks down N hallway going W

· Proceeds into W hallway going S

· SW camera picks up suspect @ some point while moving S

· Opens door of room 2 (cub room) and enters/returns

· Tries to unsuccessfully open Room 1 (janitorial) for app 30 secs.

· SE camera picks up suspect traversing into S hallway @ 3:58 29s going E.

· Opens up double dutch doors of room 21 (nursery), looks into room

· Stops at room 20 (Xerox room)

· Camera picks him up approaching from E end of the S hallway moving W

· Suspect enters Auditorium.

· NE Camera picks up suspect exiting room 10 (youth group)

· Suspect possibly hammers vertical window of room 9 (storage room) and seems to enter room, 18 sec

Hallway lengths (according to /WS and GS/WS

102’ from middle of NW hallway to middle of NE hallway

102’ from middle of SW Hallway to middle SE Hallway

128’ from middle of NE Hallway to middle of SE Hallway

128’ from middle of SW Hallway to middle of SE Hallway

1. Total linear feet: 460 feet

2. App. Feet per s walking averages 4.6 feet per second

3. Total of app. 100 s for one time around the church (460 linear feet), nonstop walking, no stopping

4. Walking the 4 Hallways without stopping:

N Hallway - app. 22.2 seconds

W Hallway – app.27.7 seconds

S Hallway - app. 22.2 seconds

E Hallway - app. 27,7 seconds

We know it took the suspect 8 min and 29 secs to get from exiting room 8 in the N Hallway moving counter clockwise to traversing from W to S Hallway, while checking out/ visibly entering room2 and trying to open room 1.

He then opens up at least one more room in the S Hallway (room 20) and disappears from the view.

He is visible again approaching from an Easterly direction moving towards West and entering the Auditorium via double doors located at the SW corner of the inside of the building.

Last time we see the suspect is in the East Hallway exiting from room10 and breaking into room 9, which is right across from room 10.

Calculated time from emerging time (3:50am according to MPD) to approximate time of when MB enters the church through S Main Entrance(4:18am according to MPD):

· 8min 29secs from exiting room 8 to middle of W and S Hallway (includes stop at room 1, app. 30 seconds). Total of 8 min
29 secs.

· Moving from room to room (outer perimeter) in S Hallway app. 22.2 sec walking only (102’ 4.6’/sec). Total of 22.2 secs

· Suspect seems to open up doors (3 secs) and glances (2sec) or enters ( app 10 secs) randomly.

S Hallway consists of 7 rooms. That would be 35 secs for opening the doors peeking in or more for entering. Total of 35secs.

· We know room 17 was more disturbed, so we add more time here. Total 60 secs (or only 30 secs ?)

E Hallway consists of 4 rooms on the outside perimeter and 2 rooms on the inside. There is an additional auditorium entry
on the inside. It is unclear, whether the suspect checked and entered or not. Subtotal time 27.7

· secs for walking, 18 secs for opening 6 rooms plus app. 16 secs for breaking into room 9 and an extra 5 secs for possibly
entering room 9. Total of 66.7 secs.

· Check out room 14 app 5 s. Total 5secs.

· Walk down hallway from SE to SW corner 22 secs, entering auditorium + 2secs on SW corner. Total 24 secs

SUMMARY TIME SPENT (all times approximal):

8min (1601 secs) + 29secs

22.2 secs

35secs

60secs

66.7 secs

5secs

24secs

TOTAL TIME SPENT since entering N Hallway to entering auditorium (S Hallway):

1842.9 secs = 30.6 min

Surplus of 2.6 min = 156 secs. We need a total of 28 min until MB enters the church. Deducting 30 secs from room 17. We have a surplus of 126 secs or 2 min 6 secs.

They may have opened up the auditorium doors on the E Hallway and peeked in or the doors were locked and he entered through the S doors located at the SW corner of the inside of the building (sounds familiar..). If he peeked, we can deduct some more seconds. I would then not understand why they did not enter the auditorium right away.

Again, we have a surplus of about app. 2 min.+-

What does that mean? It means I have miscalculated somewhere, although the calculations seems reasonable. Or the suspect did not check all rooms listed. The times assigned to each room though seem very conservative to me. Or we made a mistake in the suspect’s movements throughout the church. It seems reasonable though, that they went counterclockwise checking out the rooms located on the outer perimeter first ( GS’/WS theory) and then clockwise checking out the inside rooms including the auditorium.

It may be a combination of the above mentioned factors.

What does that all mean? It means, that the suspect did not have any time left IMO to explore the auditorium itself. We already have 2 in surplus left. We needed 28min , but have slightly more than 30min. Even if we find the faulty 2 min, we

would still need time for the suspect to walk through the auditorium. Or didn’t he plan on that?

In conclusion the suspect IMO may have been interrupted during that process. The attack therefore may have very well started inside the auditorium. Or, the attack was targeted and it was late in time, so he notices MB pulling into the driveway and hides inside the auditorium, when she enters. That would be indeed 2 min from pulling in to entering the church for MB plus the time she needed to walk down the hallway.

He would then perhaps have to make a noise, so MB would check out the auditorium and they could attack her.

Whatever happened and wherever the suspect moved prior and past MB’s murder, looking at the timeline and the suspect’s movements, he did seem to run out of time in the end..

Thank you for going through my lengthy timeline.

ALL IMO

-Nin

A lot of time and effort expended there, Nin. Good work. Comments inline below, in bold.

Here is a lengthy post about the timeline of the suspect's movements inside the church. The summary is, that we end up with a rather tight timeline as opposed to think the perp had all the time in the world..(or so it apprears..)

Timeline (MPD updated video, MPD timestamped short video, GS corrected sequence video)

· NE camera picks up suspect emerging from room 8 (Connection Café) entering N hallway @ 3:50am

And we should assume SP checks out room 6 which is the last room on that hallway going W, after the kitchen.
And we should assume SP checks out rooms 5 and 4 which would be the first rooms they come to as they proceed S after turning left onto the W hallway. Then after room 4 they would have gotten to the main entrance. I would expect them to turn right in that foyer and down in that corner on their right is the entrance to room 3 which is the kids playground room known as Kelsey’s Place. Then if they stick to the perimeter they’re going to have to zig zag around that enclosure containing the inner and outer doors, which would then put them in the other corner of the foyer where the Cub Corner alcove is. We should assume they go into that alcove and open that door into Cub Corner (room 2).

Presumably SP did not traverse the inside of Cub corner room 2; otherwise we would have seen them coming out of the other door. So SP had to have exited the Cub Corner door back into the foyer, then proceeded back into the W hallway traveling S. Then opens up and looks into the other room 2 door, perhaps not realizing that it is the same big room.
There are several points in the room 1 sequence in which the video freezes/skips. I don’t know if that reflects much lost time or if it’s insignificant?

We don’t know for sure that SP entered the auditorium. We only know they stepped out of sight into the alcove. They might have opened the door and not entered. They might have entered at a different door. Or not at all.

· Suspect possibly hammers vertical window of room 9 (storage room) and seems to enter room, 18 sec
And as you noted, my theory is room 10 and room 9 occurred after your bullet point “Stops at room 20.” The rooms he would have passed inbetween those timeline events would be room 19 (suite of offices), room 18 (also an office, accessible from within the suite), rooms 17 and 16 which I THINK are also accessible from within the suite). And room 15 is last on that hall. SP then would have turned N up the E hall; on their right they would pass rooms 13, 12 and 11. Then they would have entered room 10 before exiting it from the other door that we see on the video. And after room 9, as they traversed S they would have still had room 14 down at the end before turning back W on the S hall and arriving back at the point around the offices where they “pop back up” on the video prior to the auditorium. This is all ASSUMING I’m correct about the video being out of sequence; I have to allow that I can’t be 100% sure.)

I think that averages out to around 3 mph/correct? That’s going at a pretty good clip. If this person is around 5’5” with short legs (the average woman’s stride is 26 inches according to an Arizona State study), and they’re weighted down with gear, and if you’re right that this person has size 7 feet but size 17 shoes, then can they really manage to average 3 mph? I don’t know that they can’t; I’m just raising the question.
3. Total of app. 100 s for one time around the church (460 linear feet), nonstop walking, no stopping

If you watch the 5th anniversary video on my YT channel in which we do a virtual tour inside the church, the guy takes about 50 secs to get from the SW entrance to where he turns the corner at the NW end. He is admittedly strolling and not striding, but it might be worth taking a look at.

We know it took the suspect 8 min and 29 secs to get from exiting room 8 in the N Hallway moving counter clockwise to traversing from W to S Hallway, while checking out/ visibly entering room2 and trying to open room 1. And also, as I said, presumably also checking out 6, 5, 4, Kelsey’s Place and the foyer.

He then opens up at least one more room in the S Hallway (room 20) and disappears from the view.

He is visible again approaching from an Easterly direction moving towards West and entering the Auditorium via double doors located at the SW corner of the inside of the building. Again, we don’t know that he actually entered. He might have entered at the entrance he passed after room 14 and turning back up the S hallway. He might have peeked in or he might have entered at that entrance and walked around and then come out the same exit.

Last time we see the suspect is in the East Hallway exiting from room10 and breaking into room 9, which is right across from room 10.

Calculated time from emerging time (3:50am according to MPD) to approximate time of when MB enters the church through S Main Entrance(4:18am according to MPD):

· 8min 29secs from exiting room 8 to middle of W and S Hallway (includes stop at room 1, app. 30 seconds). Total of 8 min
29 secs.

· Moving from room to room (outer perimeter) in S Hallway app. 22.2 sec walking only (102’ 4.6’/sec). Total of 22.2 secs

· Suspect seems to open up doors (3 secs) and glances (2sec) or enters ( app 10 secs) randomly.

S Hallway consists of 7 rooms. That would be 35 secs for opening the doors peeking in or more for entering. Total of 35secs.

· We know room 17 was more disturbed, so we add more time here. Total 60 secs (or only 30 secs ?)
A minute and a half for exploring the entire office suite seems way too short. But this ties into what your theory is. If you think targeted, then SP is not going to spend any more time here than they did in the other rooms. But if it’s Untargeted, then this might have been the part of the church that held the most interest for them. In which case one would expect them to look through every drawer and every filing cabinet in every office.
E Hallway consists of 4 rooms on the outside perimeter and 2 rooms on the inside. There is an additional auditorium entry
on the inside. It is unclear, whether the suspect checked and entered or not. Subtotal time 27.7

· secs for walking, 18 secs for opening 6 rooms plus app. 16 secs for breaking into room 9 and an extra 5 secs for possibly

You are assuming SP could just walk into room 14. It might have been locked just as room 9 was locked. down at the other end.
· Walk down hallway from SE to SW corner 22 secs, entering auditorium + 2secs on SW corner. Total 24 secs

22.2 secs

35secs

60secs

66.7 secs

5secs

24secs

1842.9 secs = 30.6 min

Surplus of 2.6 min = 156 secs. We need a total of 28 min until MB enters the church. Deducting 30 secs from room 17. We have a surplus of 126 secs or 2 min 6 secs.

They may have opened up the auditorium doors on the E Hallway and peeked in or the doors were locked and he entered through the S doors located at the SW corner of the inside of the building (sounds familiar..). If he peeked, we can deduct some more seconds. I would then not understand why they did not enter the auditorium right away.

I was confused by the word surplus at first. It usually means “left over” in which case it would mean the suspect still had 2 mins to spare. But then I realized that what you meant is that it’s an “overage” of 2 mins.

I don’t know, this whole thing is tricky because we only see a couple of mins of video and are trying to make assumptions about how the other 26 mins were spent. And we can’t assume SP always walks at the same velocity so it’s a total crapshoot trying to figure what it averages out to. And the same for the rooms. You could be right or you could be way, way off. The margin for error, therefore, is substantial.

What does that mean? It means I have miscalculated somewhere, although the calculations seems reasonable. Or the suspect did not check all rooms listed. The times assigned to each room though seem very conservative to me. Or we made a mistake in the suspect’s movements throughout the church. It seems reasonable though, that they went counterclockwise checking out the rooms located on the outer perimeter first ( GS’/WS theory) and then clockwise checking out the inside rooms including the auditorium.

What does that all mean? It means, that the suspect did not have any time left IMO to explore the auditorium itself. We already have 2 in surplus left. We needed 28min , but have slightly more than 30min. Even if we find the faulty 2 min, we

would still need time for the suspect to walk through the auditorium. Or didn’t he plan on that?

In conclusion the suspect IMO may have been interrupted during that process. The attack therefore may have very well started inside the auditorium. Or, the attack was targeted and it was late in time, so he notices MB pulling into the driveway and hides inside the auditorium, when she enters. That would be indeed 2 min from pulling in to entering the church for MB plus the time she needed to walk down the hallway.

He would then perhaps have to make a noise, so MB would check out the auditorium and they could attack her.

Whatever happened and wherever the suspect moved prior and past MB’s murder, looking at the timeline and the suspect’s movements, he did seem to run out of time in the end..

ALL IMO

-Nin

We know it took the suspect 8 min and 29 secs to get from exiting room 8 in the N Hallway moving counter clockwise to traversing from W to S Hallway, while checking out/ visibly entering room2 and trying to open room 1.

He is visible again approaching from an Easterly direction moving towards West and entering the Auditorium via double doors located at the SW corner of the inside of the building.

29 secs.

22.2 secs

35secs

60secs

66.7 secs

5secs

24secs

1842.9 secs = 30.6 min

ALL IMO

-Nin
Thank you for posting it, Nin. Your posts are always fascinating and thought provoking, including this one. We're lucky to have you.

You're right in noting that this wording was certainly broad enough and vague enough to allow more possibilities - no question.

But it's so imprecise (deliberately so, imo) that we are actually told almost nothing definitive. From that hazy wording (and knowing from elsewhere that she was killed by gunshot), it could have been just two bullets - one to head, one to chest - and that's all. Or it could have been multiple weapons, lots of various wounds, and more.

It says the suspect carried tools (plural). But it doesn't actually say whether it took all of those tools, some of them, or just one to create the puncture wounds. (In fact, it actually doesn't say perp killed her using any tool he had been carrying.)

I don't like to have to look at semantics, but we just can't be definitive when LE wasn't precise in their wording. And they weren't. It's certainly possible there were more wounds than just bullet holes, but we don't have anything from LE that actually FORCES us to that conclusion.

Can you share the link where it's stated that Missy died of anything other than the tools in which the SP was seen carrying in the church CCTV?

1 gun = 1 tool
1 hammer = 1 tool
Add them together and we have tools, don't we?

Can you share the link where it's stated that Missy died of anything other than the tools in which the SP was seen carrying in the church CCTV?

1 gun = 1 tool
1 hammer = 1 tool
Add them together and we have tools, don't we?
The pry bar is also a tool that we see. Also potentially a tac light just as the suspect approaches the auditorium. So yes, there are multiple tools seen on video.

But all LE said was that Missy had wounds “consistent with the tools”. Meaning they did not observe wounds on her body that would be inconsistent with anything the suspect was known to be carrying.

“Consistent with the tools” does not mean “must have been caused by more than one tool.”

Precisely, My Dear. Isn't it terrifying to know SP was in that dark Church waiting, with a gun and a hammer, for a beautiful mother of three to enter so he could viciously end her life?

I've mentioned this before but don't mind repeating it. I feel the SP entered the auditorium at the South Hallway then made his way to the front entry double doors and opened one as MB passes by or as she approaches then SP shoots her. Feeling glued to that possible theory, att. That would explain why we see CS investigators thru the Western doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saky