TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #47

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
attachment.php

"A fitness trainer and mother of three was murdered in a Dallas-area church Monday morning by a man wearing SWAT gear, police said."

"Boot camp-style exercise class participants who showed up at the Creekside Church of Christ in Midlothian, Tex., around 5 a.m. found their instructor Terri “Missy” Bevers, 45, dead, according to the Midlothian Police Department."

"Fitness trainer Terri (Missy) Bevers, 45, was killed early Monday just before her boot-camp style class, police said. Participants in the Camp Gladiator class found her dead when they arrived to a Midlothian, Tex., church for the workout."

"Police Chief Carl Smith said a man wearing what looked like a tactical helmet, gloves and a heavy vest with "POLICE" written on it could be seen in security camera footage from the E. U.S. Highway 287 church just before Bevers arrived. The department released the 4 a.m. footage Monday afternoon, though Smith said no cameras captured the attack."

MEDIA & TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

LE Update/Presser on April 22, 2016

Link to Midlothian Police Department facebook page
Images (still and video) from the church featuring the perp can be seen here.

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46

CERTAIN BEHAVIORS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!!!

Dear Websleuths Members,

We are going to apply common sense to the Missy Bever's discussion.

You all have really done some amazing sleuthing in the Bever's case. Thank you for putting forth the effort to bring us interesting and helpful posts.

From now on if a member disrupts the thread in any way they will be timed out or banned.

Disrupting the thread could be anything from hitting the alert button over and over on posts that do not violate our TOS, to trying to disrupt members who are discussing a scenario that you disagree with, to arguing over something so minor that it makes me want to rip my eyeballs out of my head in frustration.

Here is an example: No more arguments over "shards of glass" VS "broken glass" LE referenced.

No outright accusations against specific individuals but very general broad speculation or theorizing will be allowed.

The last word from LE was a long time ago and was that none of the persons listed in the search warrants that have been released are suspects "at this time"

We all know that is doublespeak for we are not willing to name any of them POI or suspect RIGHT NOW.

So a general speculation of "I still find the husband's statements odd, his demeanor off. Something is not right there" are fine. While statements like "BB did it, I mean come on, his wife was sleeping around and it's almost always the husband or boyfriend" are over the line.

"I think this was motivated by jealousy by someone Missy knew, someone who felt threatened by her, someone with low self-esteem" would be okay while "it was that one woman [whatever her initials are] married to one teacher [insert initials]" would be over the line.

This should be easy to understand.

We want a lively and interesting discussion, however, we will not allow the Bever's discussion to get out of hand.

Tricia

Search Warrants

dry cleaner warrant - redacted
LinkedIn warrant 5-5-16
AT&T Tower warrant 5-5-16
Search warrant

FB Warrant Probable Cause Affidavit

Another video recently released online shows what police call a “vehicle of interest,” although investigators will not confirm if they have identified its driver or explained its unusual appearance near the church. It was recorded by a series of cameras posted around a gun store near the church about two hours before the murder. The Nissan Altima spends six minutes in the SWFA Outdoors parking lot, much of the time with its lights off. The church is on the opposite side of the divided highway, less than a half mile away.

http://www.crimeonline.com/2017/01/1...terest-emerge/

Last edited by a moderator:
READ THE OPENING POST AND THIS ONE AND THANK BOTH IF YOU INTEND TO POST. Pay particular attention to Tricia's warning about bickering and how to post in regards to your suspect(s). Outright accusations will not be tolerated.

Referring to people or groups of people by nicknames or alternate names needs to cease. You may use initials. Keep in mind that some of you are discussing a family that has lost a member to murder. It is one thing to find someone's demeanor off or point out perceived inconsistencies in their statements. It is quite another to bash them when they have been accused of nothing by Law Enforcement. I urge everyone to find that line and stay on the right side of it.

Going on 5 years since fitness trainer, Missy Bevers was murdered by a person wearing swat gear. Her killer has yet to be found.

Tricia is wanting the Missy Bevers discussion reopened with a view to going back to the very beginning with fresh eyes.

Please continue discussion here. Remember that rumors are absolutely not allowed, and in all other respects keep your posts in line with TOS.

I'm assuming that absent her presence outside the building, the natural assumption would be that she was inside, especially if her vehicle was in the parking lot. I'm not discounting the possibility the murder wouldn't have happened in the parking lot. Its just how it worked out. Either way, the costume assured anonymity.

None of this negates the possibility of online stalking being brought to a more deadly level.

SP looks fairly dumpy to me. JMHO
SP looks dumpy because the camera is pointing down from up above. That is the effect that the angle produces.

IMG_3265.jpg IMG_3265 2.jpg

If you go back in these threads to the summer of 2016, a user named BatBrat did some great work to digitally remove the layers of clothing to leave only the body outline. No extra weight there.

IMG_3264.JPG

You said you believe the killer stalked her online, read her FB posts. If that’s the case, they could not expect her to come inside. And they would have seen the pics of the early bird campers who worked out with her at 4:30. It doesn’t make much sense that the killer would be spending time in every other place in the building OTHER THAN where Missy comes in. Including an auditorium that has no windows.

Last edited:
@cady Near the end of the previous thread that was just closed, you said:

I am not aware that early reports about "wounds consistent with the tools left at the scene" were debunked.

The iPhone/iPad warrant says puncture wounds to the head and chest “consistent with the tools the suspect was carrying throughout the building.” Not tools left at the scene - tools the suspect was carrying. And a gun can be considered a tool. And a gunshot wound is a puncture wound.

@cady Near the end of the previous thread that was just closed, you said:

I am not aware that early reports about "wounds consistent with the tools left at the scene" were debunked.

The iPhone/iPad warrant says puncture wounds to the head and chest “consistent with the tools the suspect was carrying throughout the building.” Not tools left at the scene - tools the suspect was carrying. And a gun can be considered a tool. And a gunshot wound is a puncture wound.

Yes, tools SP was carrying. You are correct. Do you have the inside skinny on whether additional video shows SP with a gun? Do you know how soon after the murder it was determined that a gun was used? IMO there wouldn't be blood spatter if her heart was not pumping blood. If tools (plural) were used to puncture,(post mortem) wouldn't they look significantly different from gunshot wounds? We can tend to believe or not whether local posters on THIS forum were taking us all on a fantasy trip in re: their understanding of what the campers were horrified by. Maybe they were hyping descriptions. Maybe they were just flat out lying, I don't know. <modsnip> I tend to believe that they were sincerely trying to learn facts about a murder that happened in their own back yard. Some of them actually knew a camper or two. So, I generally, believe what they had to say. Until we see an autopsy report, descriptions of her condition can't be confirmed. JMO

You said you believe the killer stalked her online, read her FB posts. If that’s the case, they could not expect her to come inside. And they would have seen the pics of the early bird campers who worked out with her at 4:30. It doesn’t make much sense that the killer would be spending time in every other place in the building OTHER THAN where Missy comes in. Including an auditorium that has no windows.

I don't discount this awful murder wouldn't have happened outside. I DO recognize that despite whatever Missy's previous behavior, the killer murdered her inside. She obviously found a reason to enter the building. Whether the killer's plan was flexible or inflexible, I don't know. Whether Missy chose at the last minute to bring activities indoors for a specific reason, I don't know. Full access to all of the video might provide answers.
I appreciate your insight and comments. Thank you.

SP looks dumpy because the camera is pointing down from up above. That is the effect that the angle produces.

View attachment 299840 View attachment 299841

If you go back in these threads to the summer of 2016, a user named BatBrat did some great work to digitally remove the layers of clothing to leave only the body outline. No extra weight there.

View attachment 299842

I agree that SP is not dumpy. If you look at the video around :57 you look almost straight down on him and he looks really slim. I guess it’s the outfit, the cameras, and the angles that make him look bulky. IMO.

1 Do you have the inside skinny on whether additional video shows SP with a gun?
2 If tools (plural) were used to puncture,(post mortem) wouldn't they look significantly different from gunshot wounds? We can tend to believe or not whether local posters on THIS forum were taking us all on a fantasy trip in re: their understanding of what the campers were horrified by.

1 LE says perp was "carrying" the death cause, but doesn't say it was ever seen on video. Whether or not perp was seen on video with a gun, they were certainly carrying one. LE knew they had to be, otherwise MB could not have gotten shot.

2 I don't think we have ever been told of such wounds by anyone who was on the scene. I don't recall any of those ever posting here.

I do recall much early assumption and speculation, basically, that followed from LE's words as they were eking out. My belief is that any "locals" were simply speculating and trying to derive logical conclusions like the rest of us, and that they like all of us misconstrued what LE had actually indicated. We thought we "knew" but when we found out more, I think we were adding 2+2 and not getting 4.

Do you have a specific WS poster and thread/posts in mind, to point us to go back and see who said what back then, and why?

I agree that SP is not dumpy. If you look at the video around :57 you look almost straight down on him and he looks really slim. I guess it’s the outfit, the cameras, and the angles that make him look bulky. IMO.

I observed the same thing in the video, as to the physical description. It was not the blobby slob appearance that it looks like, at first glance.

But I didn't want to mention it, because "blobby slob" sure fits this perp, doesn't it? It's still an extreme loser of some sort. Who would be so worthless as to murder a nice person like MB? How scummy is that? What a complete lowlife. This is the feature point on their resume, in this life and in the world to come? Goodness.

Last edited:
Yes, tools SP was carrying. You are correct. Do you have the inside skinny on whether additional video shows SP with a gun? Do you know how soon after the murder it was determined that a gun was used? IMO there wouldn't be blood spatter if her heart was not pumping blood. If tools (plural) were used to puncture,(post mortem) wouldn't they look significantly different from gunshot wounds? We can tend to believe or not whether local posters on THIS forum were taking us all on a fantasy trip in re: their understanding of what the campers were horrified by. Maybe they were hyping descriptions. Maybe they were just flat out lying, I don't know. <modsnip> I tend to believe that they were sincerely trying to learn facts about a murder that happened in their own back yard. Some of them actually knew a camper or two. So, I generally, believe what they had to say. Until we see an autopsy report, descriptions of her condition can't be confirmed. JMO
Since there were only 4 cameras total at the two corners SW and NE, and since Missy was killed at the NW, then the only camera that could have possibly caught the killer with a gun is at the NE. But the killer would have been moving pretty fast and if they made a left into room 7, that might have been too far away for the camera to activate. And who knows if the killer was carrying the gun at that point or had put it back wherever they were storing it on their body.

As far as when it was determined that a gun was used, I’m just guessing here but I think the autopsy on Tuesday the 19th would have been definitive. They probably ran the body through an MRI which would have revealed the telltale “lead cloud” left by a bullet.

it’s also interesting that the truck warrant on the 18th said “deceased from a head wound” and the iPhone/iPad warrant on the 20th post-autopsy said that she died of “puncture wounds to the head and chest.” It certainly seems like they wanted to obfuscate as to the manner of death so they could keep that info to themselves.

1 LE says perp was "carrying" the death cause, but doesn't say it was ever seen on video. Whether or not perp was seen on video with a gun, they were certainly carrying one. LE knew they had to be, otherwise MB could not have gotten shot.

2 I don't think we have ever been told of such wounds by anyone who was on the scene. I don't recall any of those ever posting here.

I do recall much early assumption and speculation, basically, that followed from LE's words as they were eking out. My belief is that any "locals" were simply speculating and trying to derive logical conclusions like the rest of us, and that they like all of us misconstrued what LE had actually indicated. We thought we "knew" but when we found out more, I think we were adding 2+2 and not getting 4.

Do you have a specific WS poster and thread/posts in mind, to point us to go back and see who said what back then, and why?

No witness ever posted here that I know of. I wasn't implying that. A handful of locals were posting of what they knew (?) of camper reactions and comments outside of this forum. Some claimed to know some campers. No one directly quoted a camper. I wouldn't know where to begin to list them. I remember some names in particular, but TOS means I can't publish them. They are
mostly in early threads when the whole town was horrified. I have read a lot of threads in the last month or so, so I know that the posts are still there. As I said, they could have been hyping or lying, but I think they were posting out of a genuine interest. No one seemed to object to their posts at the time, or question their veracity. There were not vivid descriptions of wounds, but descriptions of how devastated the campers were by not just her death, but the condition of her body. JMO

No witness ever posted here that I know of. I wasn't implying that. A handful of locals were posting of what they knew (?) of camper reactions and comments outside of this forum. Some claimed to know some campers. No one directly quoted a camper. I wouldn't know where to begin to list them. I remember some names in particular, but TOS means I can't publish them. They are
mostly in early threads when the whole town was horrified. I have read a lot of threads in the last month or so, so I know that the posts are still there. As I said, they could have been hyping or lying, but I think they were posting out of a genuine interest. No one seemed to object to their posts at the time, or question their veracity. There were not vivid descriptions of wounds, but descriptions of how devastated the campers were by not just her death, but the condition of her body. JMO
The campers have been extremely tight-lipped even years after the murder. I have a hard time seeing them give up much at all about what they saw.

we should remember that Missy walked in at 4:18 and was dead by 4:20 according to Kevin Johnson. And the killer was gone by the time the early camper arrived at 4:30 (according to the dispatch report). That just isn’t a huge amount of time for the killer to have done any kind of overkill. And it just doesn’t make sense that the killer would waste time with overkill when there could be another camper walking through the door any second. So the likely scenario is the simplest one - that the killer did enough to incapacitate Missy but immediately left as soon as she was down.

Appreciate the info, cady. I don't recall it quite that way, but it could have been -- and if you don't have any specific posts that grabbed you, we can just leave it at that. I know LE does know the answers, but until they tell us more, all I know for sure is that she was shot at least twice.

“It’s just rumor. There are people who want this to be overkill because that helps to support their theory of it being a “personal” murder….”

Thank you. This is a valid issue I saw on other cases as well. I’ll give it a benefit of the doubt that at least some people genuinely fell this way and also the perp has not been identified.

“For five years people said, “It’s targeted. I know this because there was soooo much overkill, bludgeoning, gouging out an eye….”

These are very specific exaggerations – I never heard of a case where someone gorged out bullets with hammer – and in such a short period. This is why I was wondering where these ideas came from

“The CSI report notes that there were pools of blood around Missy….”

Yeah, it depends where she was shot and also paramedics make a mess while trying to save a victim. Important to note when the observations are made.

I’m reading back through thread one. Interestingly there is someone who was local posting who said she didn’t want to give COD until it was announced in the media. Then she posted this two days after Missy was killed. I can’t quote the post and the link doesn’t seem to be working. So it seems clear from day 1 they knew she’d been shot, at least the locals.

according to the news reporter in the video at link she says she was shot and killed.

.http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/woman-found-dead-inside-midlothian-church/140954492

I don’t think people are resting on hope that this was personal, murder stats tell us often that these crimes are usually committed by someone close. Even family a lot of times. I don’t buy into the random thing but I would be very happy to be wrong if this was solved and random is the case.

Out-toeing (walking with the feet splayed out) is the common name used for a condition known as femoral retroversion. This condition is diagnosed in childhood, and is characterized by the unusual “duck feet” posture and walk that the child develops. In adults, it can become more pronounced if the person lives a sedentary lifestyle.

Oddly enough, a training program of specific exercises is the most effective way to correct the condition.

As it turns out, Missy might well have had the expertise to help correct her murderer's disability.

Last edited:
Out-toeing (walking with the feet splayed out) is the common name used for a condition known as femoral retroversion. This condition is diagnosed in childhood, and is characterized by the unusual “duck feet” posture and walk that the child develops. In adults, it can become more pronounced if the person lives a sedentary lifestyle.

Oddly enough, a training program of specific exercises is the most effective way to correct the condition.

As it turns out, Missy might well have had the expertise to help correct her murderer's disability.

The idea that the perp's gait indicated they must have been somehow impaired, disabled, or in lousy shape isn't necessarily so. It may have simply been how they always walked naturally.

I am reminded of a player for the Dallas Cowboys in the 1980's, Everson Walls (#24), who was extremely splay footed. He certainly wasn't impaired -- he was a star.

Here's a video of some of his highlights, and while you see glimpses of it here and there in this video as he's often shifting directions, it's probably most noticeable at the 1:50-1:55 mark, where both his feet seem almost straight sideways as he starts to run. When you watched the games, you'd see it all the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member