TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious about the headlamp SP uses. It either isn't present or is not turned on until the last parts of the released video. I can't tell if it's a Petzl style headlamp worn under, or maybe integrated in some way, with the helmet. Does anyone have any insights about this?

Also SP seems pretty clueless about jimmying locked doors open and gives up easily on one door. That doesn't seem like the mark of an experienced burglar.
Imo, it looks like a person waiting around passing time until their target (MB) arrives. Unfortunately.:( Person knows possibly on camera and is putting on a show. Of course all of this is speculation.

Just a response to one of your suppositions. Even though it was raining heavily, the class was still to be held outside under the large porte cochere at the entrance of the church. This was standard practice for these types of Camp Gladiator fitness classes and the church didn’t really have a proper area (like a gym) that would allow an indoor workout.

It was speculated she went inside to open up bathrooms and turned and followed a sound when she heard a noise (based on the video not released to the public and discussed by a forensic podiatrist). I have been in both camps, but I would say this supports a burglar or “not targeted” theory. I believe if she were targeted and the class was known to be held outdoors, rain or shine, the premeditated murderer would have been closer to where she taught her class, either just inside the doors or outside.

I will say imo because it was discussed years ago on these threads and I’m unable to look it up.

That one isn't difficult to explain. The burglar was likely looking for a large cash haul and never found it. I believe that he may have been inspired by the well-publicized theft of $600,000 from Joel Osteen's Texas church.

It also appears that the burglar is holding a white object at a certain point in the video. That might have been an item that he intended to steal.

It's a given that a burglar who committed murder after being interrupted wouldn't want to be in possession of anything that could connect him to the crime scene, so his abandoning any potential loot at that point was predictable.
IMOO, churches being burgled, that's nothing new. I don't think this "burglar" was inspired by a megachurch burglary, moo. It's very clear in my mind that this was a targeted murder.

What burglar of a church brings a loaded handgun? Not exactly a tool of the trade.

IMOO, churches being burgled, that's nothing new. I don't think this "burglar" was inspired by a megachurch burglary, moo. It's very clear in my mind that this was a targeted murder.
You're free to believe that, but if you do then you're simply clinging to a dearly-held belief that isn't supported by the evidence.
What burglar of a church brings a loaded handgun?
What kind of burglar takes a home to any burglary? Quite a few people after been shot dead over the years after interrupting burglaries in progress.

Maybe this perp just liked carrying a gun.
Not exactly a tool of the trade.
That's a false statement. Many burglars arm themselves.

You're free to believe that, but if you do then you're simply clinging to a dearly-held belief that isn't supported by the evidence.

What kind of burglar takes a home to any burglary? Quite a few people after been shot dead over the years after interrupting burglaries in progress.

Maybe this perp just liked carrying a gun.

That's a false statement. Many burglars arm themselves.
Burglars of churches? I don't think so.

I was also thinking knee replacement surgery, not quite rehabbed completely?
That's too much speculation for me. It could just be that the poorly-fitting SWAT gear affected the perp's gate.

A podiatrist is on record as saying that that kind of gate is fairly common, so it may not be necessary to look for a particular cause.

Burglars of churches? I don't think so.
Do you have any evidence that burglars of churches arm themselves less often than burglars of other types of buildings? Because burglars arm themselves all the time when committing home invasions and B&Es at businesses. Your speculation has no value unless you can support it with evidence.

Victims murdered during a burglary is not a large number - per FBI statistics about 80-90 per year. So it does occur. However, the FBI is dependent on the details they can get from local and state LE reports. Since there are approx. 600+ cases per year where reports don't specify the exact circumstances and another 5000-6000+ where the circumstances are unknown there could be more than 80-90 per year. Given that there are thousands of burglaries per year that is not a lot. But that doesn't take into account the possibilities of armed burglars who don't encounter a victim, armed burglars who threaten but didn't kill or injured but did not kill the victim. So for some burglars a firearm is considered a tool of their work.

Victims murdered during a burglary is not a large number - per FBI statistics about 80-90 per year. So it does occur. However, the FBI is dependent on the details they can get from local and state LE reports. Since there are approx. 600+ cases per year where reports don't specify the exact circumstances and another 5000-6000+ where the circumstances are unknown there could be more than 80-90 per year. Given that there are thousands of burglaries per year that is not a lot. But that doesn't take into account the possibilities of armed burglars who don't encounter a victim, armed burglars who threaten but didn't kill or injured but did not kill the victim. So for some burglars a firearm is considered a tool of their work.
Buildings are burgled and people are robbed.
We've discussed this subject before so I'm sorry to repeat myself but I want to again point out that it is impossible to have statistics showing how many burglars kill vs. how many don't. A burglar by definition is entering an unoccupied home/building. Most burglars are not seen and not apprehended so it is unknown if they were armed. It is well known by LE that the most dangerous burglar is the one surprised by the presence of a homeowner or other occupant of a building. If a burglar hears someone upstairs in a house, they most likely will leave immediately, they aren't there to do an armed robbery/home invasion. Even if not armed, fleeing burglars panic and frequently shove and knock down the witness to get away. There is just something about the unexpected appearance of someone and I think an armed homeowner has the same reaction. MOO

Buildings are burgled and people are robbed.
We've discussed this subject before so I'm sorry to repeat myself but I want to again point out that it is impossible to have statistics showing how many burglars kill vs. how many don't. A burglar by definition is entering an unoccupied home/building. Most burglars are not seen and not apprehended so it is unknown if they were armed. It is well known by LE that the most dangerous burglar is the one surprised by the presence of a homeowner or other occupant of a building. If a burglar hears someone upstairs in a house, they most likely will leave immediately, they aren't there to do an armed robbery/home invasion. Even if not armed, fleeing burglars panic and frequently shove and knock down the witness to get away. There is just something about the unexpected appearance of someone and I think an armed homeowner has the same reaction. MOO
Mostly true. But the FBI defines 'burglary' as "as the unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or theft." Unoccupied or occupied is not part of the definition. (They further describe 'structure' as "includes an apartment, barn, house trailer, or houseboat when used as a permanent dwelling, office, railroad car (but not automobile), stable, or vessel (i.e., ship).") 'Robbery ', per their definition is: "...as the taking or attempting to take anything of value from the care, custody, or control of a person or persons by force or threat of force or violence and/or by putting the victim in fear." What is interesting is that those crime statistics do not track burglaries by occupied or unoccupied. And if we have instances where there are murders committed during burglaries then there are some occurring in occupied structures. I think it is safe to say that a burglar USUALLY INTENDS to enter what they believe is an unoccupied structure.

Electronics (A/V), food/supplies, auto parts (from church van or bus), gasoline, musical instruments, hymnals (incredibly expensive)...
If a burglar is stealing these things, where is the van to load all of this equipment? I just do not believe that a burglar would go to the trouble of dressing from head to toe in SWAT gear to rob a church.

I'd think that gear would be a hindrance to unhooking electronics and moving items in and out of the building to one's vehicle.

The gait of the person was either from ill-fitting shoes, gear, an injury or being faked. I don't know, but I bet the experts have viewed the tapes over and over again and have opinions about it.

I think SP was there to target Missy; and I personally think SP was a female.

JMO.

Last edited:
A burglary gone bad? A targeted murder? An intruder intent on vandalism and it went bad? An intruder acting some strange fantasy and it went sideways? These are all on the list for me and I don't believe I know enough to go 100% in any one direction at this point. Well, I've pretty much ruled out an alien from another planet who botched an abduction of an earthling. :rolleyes: But just about everything else is there on my list. The male/female topic? I'm completely at a loss on that one.

A burglary gone bad? A targeted murder? An intruder intent on vandalism and it went bad? An intruder acting some strange fantasy and it went sideways? These are all on the list for me and I don't believe I know enough to go 100% in any one direction at this point. Well, I've pretty much ruled out an alien from another planet who botched an abduction of an earthling. :rolleyes: But just about everything else is there on my list. The male/female topic? I'm completely at a loss on that one.
I often wonder if detectives are any farther along the list of your possibilities...

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member