TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
MIDLOTHIAN (CBSNewsTexas.com) – It was a murder that's haunted the city of Midlothian since 2016.

The killing of Missy Bevers seven years ago today remains unsolved.

Tuesday night, a memorial service was held in a Midlothian park. CBS News Texas spoke to the women who have spent the last three years trying to do what police haven't been able to – catch a killer.

A small group of Midlothian residents gathered in a park to observe the passing of another year since the murder of Missy Bevers.

One of the officers at the murder scene that morning, who now works for another police department, says he still has faith in the Midlothian detectives who have been working on the case for seven years.
That's why Rodden and Crystal Lawson started a podcast three years ago, called True Crime Broads, devoted to the investigation that includes their own detective work.

"We just noticed that it was starting to die out," Rodden said. "You never heard about it. You never saw it on the news hardly it was just like it was a cold case."

Midlothian police insist it's not a cold case and that it's investigative team "spends at least one to two days a month sequestered in a conference room where they can work without interruption on this case. On other occasions, the team meets at the scene of the crime and re-assesses the incident."

Bevers was preparing to teach a fitness class inside a Midlothian church on the morning of April 18, 2016 when security cameras recorded her killer walking around in police tactical gear as a disguise.

Rodden and her colleague have studied videos, interviewed 30 people, produced more than 100 podcasts and have contributed to keeping billboards up around the city.

When asked if she has any idea who could have killed her friend, Rodden replied, "I do. It's somebody that we've had on our mind for a really long time."

Interesting, I wonder who they have in mind.....and if they have someone in mind....that brings me back to it being targeted vs random. Of course, this is only a friend's view, but sounds like they've put a lot into this case.

April 19 2023 rbbm.
''Family and friends hope keeping Bevers’ memory alive could lead to new tips.

"Cases sometimes just can't be solved without the knowledge that someone has. And I just feel like it's super important to do that and to always continue sharing the information on Missy’s case and other cases so they can get solved," said Renae Rodden, one of Bever’s friends and a local podcast host.

Rodden said it’s important because Bever represents all women.

"We're all wives, mothers, sisters, daughters. And she's no longer here, so we're going to be her voice and keep her case alive until it's solved," she said.''

''They said it’s not considered a cold case yet. A team of investigators still spends one or two days a month sequestered to work on it and investigate the tips that continue to come in from around the world.
The department promised to follow up on all credible leads that comes in.''

Apr 20, 2016

Sad to see Missy’s threads moved to cold case, but hopeful that in due time there will be a break in the case. Moo

I can't completely rule out the perp. being known to Missy or at least to someone in her circle, but I think the fact that seven years later the Police have not advanced the case any further makes me lean more towards the perp being a complete 'randomer'.

LE can't get any traction because the perp. could be anyone. JMO.

I just watched a video by Pat Brown (a profiler) and I have to say that her assessment resonated with me.

The casual way the perp walked around the building, checking doors here and there, implied no planned impending assasination or crime of passion. The person acted like a security guard cop-wanna-be. (Perhaps too unstable and unfit for police work.) Perhaps he hoped he would come across something to steal, but, if no such luck, he was carrying out his police fantasy scenario. He was likely surprised by Missy...and the unstable individual lashed out at the "bad intruder" and smashed her with his hammer and pry-bar. The person probably didn't expect anybody to show up at 4:20 on a Monday morning.

I believe Missy was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Yes, I lean in a similar direction on this case. But I try to keep an open mind on other theories such as a targeted murder. The disguise, especially the LE theme, really seems to throw this case into the bizarre. If one wanted a disguise it would just seem easier to wear dark trousers, a bulky hoodie and balaclava instead. The SWAT outfit would just seem easier to track down. But since LE, or public, hasn't been able to ID the killer it has obviously been effective so far. I will say this, the SWAT attire may have caused some hesitation on Missy's part allowing the killer to get closer, whereas a mask or balaclava might have caused immediate panic. Whether that hesitation was intentional or happenstance is unknown at this point.

I can't completely rule out the perp. being known to Missy or at least to someone in her circle, but I think the fact that seven years later the Police have not advanced the case any further makes me lean more towards the perp being a complete 'randomer'.

This is a possibility. It’s difficult to ascertain whether her killer was male, female, fat, thin, even their height is uncertain. They can’t have left any identifiable DNA or prints or anything else to link them. Someone remind me - was there a getaway car or were they on foot?

So… either it was a total random who struck lucky on the forensics front, OR it was someone who knew fine well how to perfectly cover their tracks.

This is a possibility. It’s difficult to ascertain whether her killer was male, female, fat, thin, even their height is uncertain. They can’t have left any identifiable DNA or prints or anything else to link them. Someone remind me - was there a getaway car or were they on foot?

So… either it was a total random who struck lucky on the forensics front, OR it was someone who knew fine well how to perfectly cover their tracks.
The latter. ;) IMO

Any randomer, but with a motive, it seems. Which motive exactly, we don't know. Maybe, the SP's motive was only money/some fee. The motive behind that might be another one. MOO

That's why Rodden and Crystal Lawson started a podcast three years ago, called True Crime Broads, devoted to the investigation that includes their own detective work.

"We just noticed that it was starting to die out," Rodden said. "You never heard about it. You never saw it on the news hardly it was just like it was a cold case."

Midlothian police insist it's not a cold case and that it's investigative team "spends at least one to two days a month sequestered in a conference room where they can work without interruption on this case. On other occasions, the team meets at the scene of the crime and re-assesses the incident."

Interesting, I wonder who they have in mind.....and if they have someone in mind....that brings me back to it being targeted vs random. Of course, this is only a friend's view, but sounds like they've put a lot into this case.

IIRC the person they have targeted is one that LE has investigated, ruled out, and they are aware of that and want to vilify the person anyhow. I have discounted anything these pod-people say, based on that.

I also notice they think they know more than LE, and want to call it a "cold case" when for LE it's not. There's no way they know what LE is doing, or know more than LE (as they have NONE of the evidence and investigation results that LE has produced over many years), so I have to figure they are just know-it-all's jabbering online for a hobby. IMO.

Last edited:
Missy, we still think of you. Justice is still coming. Hopefully soon.

I wish LE would/could release additional video footage of the perp. Could there be a person out there who has suspicions, but is not 100% sure? Could there be someone who wasn't even aware of this crime and didn't know the perp then but now they do?

I'd love a press release where something new is shared to really push this forward with tips again.

MOO

Bevers was preparing to teach a fitness class inside a Midlothian church on the morning of April 18, 2016 when security cameras recorded her killer walking around in police tactical gear as a disguise.

Rodden and her colleague have studied videos, interviewed 30 people, produced more than 100 podcasts and have contributed to keeping billboards up around the city.

When asked if she has any idea who could have killed her friend, Rodden replied, "I do. It's somebody that we've had on our mind for a really long time."

I like TCB. They have done a lot for Missy's case, imo. Unfortunately, the last time I listened to the podcast was in Dec. 2022. moo

Is Suspect Left Handed?

Let’s watch the video again (or mentally do so) — but fast forward to the part where the suspect is trying to pry the door to Room 1 open.

• Before s/he gets to room 1, they enter and exit room 2. Upon exiting room 2 s/he has a tool (hammer) in right hand.
  • Next, the Suspect takes a few steps and reaches for the door knob of room 1 and uses the empty left hand to do so.
  • Over the next few seconds the suspect is working to insert tool(s) in the door jam to try to pry it open.
  • Eventually the suspect backs up a bit and you can clearly see that the right hand is holding a pry tool that is inserted into the door jam. The left hand is holding a hammer, and the suspect uses his/her left hand to swing (lightly) the hammer against the pry tool.
  • Even though the “swing” was a bit gentle, I don’t know anyone who is fully or predominantly right-handed that would use their non-dominant hand to swing the hammer.

If our suspect is left handed that would be a very good clue because 10% of US Adult population is left handed and most left handed people are males.

Last edited:
I understand all of the points you are trying to make.

I can’t see past a person dressed in such exaggerate attire that would prevent defensive attacks, keep forensics off, and conceal identity, <modsnip - no link from an approved source> The person who murdered her also strategically entered the one door that was most logically the least likely door Missy was going to use to enter.

Until someone can make a reasonable explanation to me as why that person was dressed so over the top, knowing what we know happened, I am not going to be persuaded otherwise.
I think the police outfit did all the things stated, but I think the primary reason is because it would disarm people. People would be less likely to think it suspicious if they saw a police officer walking, entering, and exiting the church. Missy would be less scared if she saw an officer — the suspect could have even told her something like “ma’am we’ve had a reported break in. I need you to kneel down now” then the suspect could put her in handcuffs if s/he wanted.

I think this also explain why super fit and strong Missy didn’t run off or fight. Clearly she could beat the suspect in a foot race. If the suspect just had a cloth mask on, Missy could have struck him/her in the throat, gouged eyes, etc. Classic self-defense strike points.

I think the police outfit did all the things stated, but I think the primary reason is because it would disarm people. People would be less likely to think it suspicious if they saw a police officer walking, entering, and exiting the church. Missy would be less scared if she saw an officer — the suspect could have even told her something like “ma’am we’ve had a reported break in. I need you to kneel down now” then the suspect could put her in handcuffs if s/he wanted.

I think this also explain why super fit and strong Missy didn’t run off or fight. Clearly she could beat the suspect in a foot race. If the suspect just had a cloth mask on, Missy could have struck him/her in the throat, gouged eyes, etc. Classic self-defense strike points.
A regularly dressed police officer impersonator would be one thing.

Someone alone, dressed up in tactical gear and helmet? I’m not so sure about that.

I think you could be on to something though, It could be a tactic in someone’s mind though, but I am not sure if it would work the way they wanted it to.

I could see them wanting it to be for relaxing Missy but I think the person that attacked her was likely a little screwy in the head and didn’t account for Missy not being a ditz.

I see her likely being scared <modsnip> first, taking one brief second to believe it at face value, then coming to her senses pretty quickly.

It might explain why the perp was smashing the windows out at one point, and leaving the double Dutch doors wide open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not talking about it will not make it go away. We’ve all seen the surveillance tapes. We’ve all read the reports. <modsnip: No links to info stated as fact> Let’s keep thinking, hypothesizing, talking about it in the mean time, it’s the least we can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, this case is unlikely to be solved because the perp has no connection to Missy. The murder may have scared him out of attempting any more burglaries. If he does commit any, it's safe to say that he won't be wearing the same outfit again. That tactical gear was probably burned as soon as he got home.

In Midlothian, True Crime Broads podcast listeners and internet sleuths commemorate Missy Bevers.

Several townsfolk murmured softly as they stood before the young red oak tree on Tuesday, April 18. Nearly as many members of the media planted themselves on the sidelines, cameras aimed and ready. A reddish-brown stone bore the inscription “In Loving Memory of Missy Bevers.” It was signed “Friends of TCB.”

The podcasters from True Crime Broads had invited their listeners to the tree-planting ceremony at a park in Midlothian, a city of around 40,000 located roughly a half-hour’s drive southwest from Dallas. Some wore custom black T-shirts to the event, the words “Justice for Missy, 4/18/2016” scrawled onto a large red heart.

“Missy was a mother, a sister, a wife, a daughter — and, you know, it could have been any of us,” Rodden said, her speech punctuated by the sound of kids horsing around on the park’s playground.

“Together, I think that we are able to just come together, make sure that tips keep coming in, people keep talking about this case,” she continued. “Because when people quit talking, when tips quit coming in, the case goes cold.”

The motive of the killer is something I've not settled on as to a single point. In the above video the reporter states that LE was looking at other church break-ins in the general area. If LE were seriously settled on a targeted killing of Missy why would any other break-in be relevant? OK, I suppose the argument would be that LE is covering all the possibilities and that would be a good thing that LE is keeping an open mind about this case.

I believe one big issue when the public looks at this case is that observers want to place themselves in it and apply their logic from their personal views. IOW, the assumption is the killer was thinking and planning logically. I even find myself falling into that trap when considering a targeted killing. I have often thought that instead of breaking in and using an elaborate disguise, a killer with a purpose could have more easily worn dark clothing, a dark hoodie with a ski mask and waited out back till Missy drove up and shot her outside her vehicle. That's me applying my own logic.

There are those that rule out a robbery saying it is not LOGICAL. But look at other cases like the Lane Bryant Tinley Park Murders where the killer kills 5 women and wounds a 6th and gets away with what, a few hundred dollars? To murder 5 persons for a measly few hundred dollars defies logic and yet that may have been the killer's actual motive. In the Missy Bevers case this killer may have actually intended to rob the church. After all, this did occur early on a Monday morning after a Sunday service. To be sure, I don't put robbery high on my list but it is still on my list of possibilities.

I also consider an immature teenager to early 20's individual in the church on some lark or fantasy just doing stupid stuff as one possibility. I recall from my youth hearing some persons I knew that broke into an elementary school and vandalized it and when asked why they said, "It was fun." The intention may have been the same here and the individual was surprised by Missy's sudden appearance.

In any event I agree with @Ozoner above in that the clothing used is LONG gone and in a burn pile or buried deep in the local trash dump never to be seen again. The only give away is that someone wanting to go to a masquerade party or Halloween affair may know of such clothing and when asked if they could borrow it are simply told they don't have it anymore. This, of course, assumes that anyone outside of the killer knew of the existence of such clothing to begin with. This may have been the only time such clothing was ever seen whether this was targeted or unintentional.

In short, I'm baffled as to the purpose of the events that occurred leading to Missy's murder and just try to look at it from all angles. But to think there is some well thought out logic and criminals don't do illogical things for illogical reasons just doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
I'm not going to resort to name calling but I'm glad to hear that police are reviewing other church break-in (and I would expand that to other institutions particularly schools) because, in the unlikely event that extensive security footage exists from ten years ago, I think it would be very easy to identify the perp in this case by their... let's call them "characteristics"... in other night break-in/vandalism cases that might not have been very deeply investigated at the time on account of only a few hundred dollars of damage. Maybe check with the people who insure institutions against that sort of thing as security footage might remain be attached to the claim files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert