TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #49

Off the top of my head, this kind of murder is solved by a combination of surveillance footage, cellphone evidence, forensics such as blood or unique tire tracks, eyewitnesses, and DNA.

I'm thinking of recent cases such as the Idaho 4, the Gilgo beach killer, Alex Murdaugh.

The known surveillance video has not led anywhere. IMO it's too late for them to get more.

I'm sure they've done a geo-fence search, there wouldn't likely be too many cell towers/phones roaming that isolated area at that hour.
So, likely the perp didn't have their cellphone on. (Does that mean the driver at the gun store didn't have their phone on - or are LE limited in their ability to get a warrant for that, potentially innocent behaviour?)

If LE have probable cause on someone, they may still be able search that person's phones, though as time passes, phones are changed out.

Evidently, there was limited forensics - Missy was not moved, the weapon wasn't left at the scene, the killer escaped into rainy pavement, etc. If the entry in the FBI database is correct, and there was a gun, that could be matched.

There were no eyewitnesses. So the only chance is if someone saw the killer in that costume at some point, or killer confessed to someone.

Given the time frame the killer was gone from home, the FBI profilers I've listened to, commenting on similar cases, note the person likely lived alone (or no one was home that night), so they didn't have to explain where they'd been at that hour. They were unlikely to have to go to work the next day. Perhaps they worked a late shift. That would imply an isolated person (fits with the behaviour of role playing).

Because of the costume, for sure no DNA.

So I don't agree it's laziness or incompetence. IMO, someone in the local/state/FBI police forces would be as keen to solve this as the many, many people who have posted on this thread and the internet generally (every crime youtuber has analyzed this case). Many detectives would want to solve this, not just for their own satisfaction, but it would be huge boost to their career.

JMO

Last edited:
Off the top of my head, this kind of murder is solved by a combination of surveillance footage, cellphone evidence, forensics such as blood or unique tire tracks, eyewitnesses, and DNA.

I'm thinking of recent cases such as the Idaho 4, the Gilgo beach killer, Alex Murdaugh.

The known surveillance video has not led anywhere. IMO it's too late for them to get more.

I'm sure they've done a geo-fence search, there wouldn't likely be too many cell towers/phones roaming that isolated area at that hour.
So, likely the perp didn't have their cellphone on. (Does that mean the driver at the gun store didn't have their phone on - or are LE limited in their ability to get a warrant for that, potentially innocent behaviour?)

If LE have probable cause on someone, they may still be able search that person's phones, though as time passes, phones are changed out.

Evidently, there was limited forensics - Missy was not moved, the weapon wasn't left at the scene, the killer escaped into rainy pavement, etc. If the entry in the FBI database is correct, and there was a gun, that could be matched.

There were no eyewitnesses. So the only chance is if someone saw the killer in that costume at some point, or killer confessed to someone.

Given the time frame the killer was gone from home, the FBI profilers I've listened to, commenting on similar cases, note the person likely lived alone (or no one was home that night), so they didn't have to explain where they'd been at that hour. They were unlikely to have to go to work the next day. Perhaps they worked a late shift. That would imply an isolated person (fits with the behaviour of role playing).

So I don't agree it's laziness or incompetence. IMO, someone in the local/state/FBI police forces would be as keen to solve this as the many, many people who have posted on this thread and the internet generally (every crime youtuber has analyzed this case). Many detectives would want to solve this, not just for their own satisfaction, but it would be huge boost to their career.

JMO

A break in this case would be a god send.

JMO
As far as a gun - if one was used - if it had not been used in another crime, previously or since, the FBI won't be able to get a match without the gun itself. TX does not require gun registration either. Look at the Jill Dando murder in the UK. The Brits made an arrest at one time and found photos of that person posing with a handgun. The UK has much, much tighter rein on handguns than anywhere in the USA and they never could connect a gun to the arrested person.

Everything else though...spot on. There was some very brief mention of someone seeing an SUV leaving the parking lot shortly before the boot campers discovered Missy. But I toss that out since LE was so focused on the Nissan on camera in the gun store parking lot. So, yes, no witnesses.

IMHO - they don't care to solve it.

Or they know and don't have the evidence or resources to make the case.
That wouldn't surprise me either. It's hard to believe there isn't other footage of the suspect in the church. Is there only a camera on one hall? Makes no sense. I forgot did the break in or use a key?

Hi again from cold London, UK. Both this and the Barrazza case have interested me for years. I've been 50-50 so far as to whether this was targeted or not. I now agree with Pat Brown that it wasn't and that Missy was killed by a burgler dressed as a cop. Look if he/she, and I think like Pat that it's a HE, was waiting for her he wouldn't be opening doors etc. He'd have hidden and waited for her car lights. He wouldn't have waited for her to surprise him. How did he know she hadn't given a lift to someone in her class on the way? She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time which any of us could be and it's very very sad. I don't think this will ever be solved unfortunately if there's no link to her whatsoever.

Last edited:
I bet there's more footage that hasn't been shown to the public. They show us what they want to.
There is more surveillance video, but LE meant, allegedly on that part of the video was nothing to be seen, which could be important for the public. I am not convinced, that this is the whole truth or that we, the public, couldn't have recognized tiny important details.

Hi again from cold London, UK. Both this and the Barrazza case have interested me for years. I've been 50-50 so far as to whether this was targeted or not. I now agree with Pat Brown that it wasn't and that Missy was killed by a burgler dressed as a cop. Look if he/she, and I think like Pat that it's a HE, was waiting for her he wouldn't be opening doors etc. He'd have hidden and waited for her car lights. He wouldn't have waited for her to surprise him. How did he know she hadn't given a lift to someone in her class on the way? She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time which any of us could be and it's very very sad. I don't think this will ever be solved unfortunately if there's no link to her whatsoever.
I think, the SP very well knew, that there was surveillance in the church (maybe he even knew, that the outside surveillance wasn't working), and all he did while waiting for MB was just for show and to leave behind as much work for the team in white overalls as possible. IMO

There is more surveillance video, but LE meant, allegedly on that part of the video was nothing to be seen, which could be important for the public. I am not convinced, that this is the whole truth or that we, the public, couldn't have recognized tiny important details.
I could be persuaded to think it was targeted if I could see all the footage in chronological order and SP getting more excited or nervous toward the end. He was so slow.

JMO

Logically I agree with you they have nothing to go on unless someone calls in a tip, or can get a warrant on a suspect. I just wish a break would happen soon.

That wouldn't surprise me either. It's hard to believe there isn't other footage of the suspect in the church. Is there only a camera on one hall? Makes no sense. I forgot did the break in or use a key?
broke in through a kitchen - on the side of the church

If it was 4am in a church and someone was decked out fully in SWAT gear, ALONE (SWAT is always a team, it is not a one man show), with a hammer in hand, and no standard weapon out like a SWAT member would have, it wouldn't raise a few alarm bells for you?

I can't imagine anyone with any sense at all thinking it was remotely normal to be approached by someone dressed that way at 4am.

I do think that the murderer may have thought it could lead to more compliance, but it was much more so to conceal identity, keep forensics off, add a small layer of protection, and throw general confusion into the case (and it all worked).
4 a.m. anyone in any kind of outfit, with any kind of object- I would be running out...later I might ask myself: "what was that object?" Or "was there a SWAT team?" How far inside the building was MB when she was accosted? Did he direct toward a blind alley?

4 a.m. anyone in any kind of outfit, with any kind of object- I would be running out...later I might ask myself: "what was that object?" Or "was there a SWAT team?" How far inside the building was MB when she was accosted? Did he direct toward a blind alley?
We don’t have a lot of footage to work with.

I do not wish to see Missy attacked, but it would add much more context clues. Was the killer lying in wait behind a corner or door? Did it appear like the killer was totally caught off guard and attacked out of fear?

I agree that most people would take off if they saw someone in SWAT gear at 4am. Some people think the gear was used to try and subdue Missy with compliance, but I just don’t see anyone actually falling for that, it just being something the attacker thinks would work.

One outrageous theory I have heard before was speculation the helmet had Bluetooth and the killer was getting instructions on when Missy was arriving, where she was currently in the church, etc. This sounded absurd at first, but now that I think about it, what if that was the plan? Once the killer located Missy via instruction, pretended to be super startled and made it appear as if they didn’t expect her?

Just an FYI. Feb 8th, tomorrow at 4:30 (CST) Scott Brooks (Editor of local newspaper) is featuring a 1.5 hour podcast with Missy's husband, Brandon Bevers. You'll need to go to you-tube and search for "Waxahachie Sun". He has been pretty quiet these past years trying to move on. It's nearly been 8 years since the murder and we're not any closer to finding her killer.

IMHO I feel like the police know who is involved, but lack 100% proof to get guilty verdict(s). You know, there's always that one juror that has doubt. The MPD has to have solid evidence to get a guilty verdict, or they walk free.

I can add the link, but it may not be allowed. If not, please delete it Mods. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=waxahachie+sun

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms
Back