TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers,45, murdered in church/person in SWAT gear,18 Apr 2016 #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a local, I feel compelled to share that I have huge reservations about sharing things publically that LE feels does not need to be shared with the public right now. Our "curiosity" and our "need to know now" mentality could jeopardize this case. I am by no means a crime scene expert, but I can only imagine that there are things that perhaps only a killer or accomplice could know and LE has a very good reason for keeping some things out of the general public's hand at this time.

I have been very proud of our local community's restraint as I know many read here. I feel certain there are some interesting insights and knowledge we could share but do not out of respect not only for her family, but of the investigation. Kudos to the reporter and agency that did not feel a need to report publically the response to the records request. This isn't about who can share a scoop first ... If it was, locals would be on here all day long.

Sorry to sound snarky...it isn't my usual temperament. The people in our town want justice for Missy and her girls. We have faith that our local LE with assistance from the best of the best have this. We know an arrest may not be imminent, but one will come. We are not fearful of this going unsolved, nor are we fearful of a killer on the loose.

<snipped for reference>
When it comes to dumping the perp clothing, I would think perp would be as careful as they were when covering themselves for the crime. The perp clothing has both Missy's and perp DNA and would obviously link the perp to the crime. Where would a super careful and stealthy perp dispose of the evidence that would put him/her on death row if found?

In a pond. Pond water does a number on forensic evidence pretty quickly. Ponds are also not searched immediately nor searched as often as dumpsters, in general, because of the time and equipment involved.

So they have a gun with a serial # and they have not arrested the owner of thew gun with a serial #. They don't want the serial # released for fear the serial # will be used on another gun, since it's known that gun is in custody. Hmmm.

Maybe the gun was stolen or the owner is dead. It would be interesting to know where the gun came from, seems the owner of the gun is not the killer. jmo idk

The wording of the paragraph about the firearm is pretty strange to me. I think it can be interpreted different ways, and I'm interested in what everyone thinks it means. But I'll say this overall - I think the MPD could have easily released more information with response to the open records request without jeopardizing anything. For example, in their arguments to withhold the 911 calls, they mention contact information and potential witnesses being harrassed, etc. The easy solution as we know is to bleep out the audio portions of the call that are objectionable to LE. Instead, they just don't release it at all. That isn't open and transparent government, IMHO. I want the case solved and don't want the public to hinder the investigation in any way. I just think they need to be held accountable by the public to make sure they're doing all that they can do.

So they have a gun with a serial # and they have not arrested the owner of thew gun with a serial #. They don't want the serial # released for fear the serial # will be used on another gun, since it's known that gun is in custody. Hmmm.

Maybe the gun was stolen or the owner is dead. It would be interesting to know where the gun came from, seems the owner of the gun is not the killer. jmo idk

What do you mean by the part I bolded? I don't think the average person could just put any old serial number on a firearm.

As a local, I feel compelled to share that I have huge reservations about sharing things publically that LE feels does not need to be shared with the public right now. Our "curiosity" and our "need to know now" mentality could jeopardize this case. I am by no means a crime scene expert, but I can only imagine that there are things that perhaps only a killer or accomplice could know and LE has a very good reason for keeping some things out of the general public's hand at this time.

I have been very proud of our local community's restraint as I know many read here. I feel certain there are some interesting insights and knowledge we could share but do not out of respect not only for her family, but of the investigation. Kudos to the reporter and agency that did not feel a need to report publically the response to the records request. This isn't about who can share a scoop first ... If it was, locals would be on here all day long.

Sorry to sound snarky...it isn't my usual temperament. The people in our town want justice for Missy and her girls. We have faith that our local LE with assistance from the best of the best have this. We know an arrest may not be imminent, but one will come. We are not fearful of this going unsolved, nor are we fearful of a killer on the loose.

So you think the killer is already imprisoned on another charge?

Just guessing here, but 911 call(s) may have mentioned "gunshot" or gun. Could put caller in jeopardy. Also, if LE has the serial number of the gun "associated" with the crime, then they have a gun. Yes, it could be Missys or it could be swatperps and it could be stolen. Thanks so much Cannonball.....now this is making more sense. JMO

BBM

Not necessarily. If it was registered to Missy and the murderer took it from her, then LE would only have the serial number. Probably the reason they don't want the serial number released.

Could also be Missy's gun, if she had one ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMO And may be a gun that was not fired.......at least, in this case. JMO

To clarify, I believe Missy was the target and others are not in danger.

Slightly O/T: Feel free to mark your spot however it best works for you, but for those interested in an easy (non-posting) option, you can find always find the newest thread by going the top of the new thread and clicking on "thread options" - then clicking on "subscribe to thread":

image.jpg

Then, wherever you are in WS, you can scroll to the top, and click on "Quick Links" and then "Subscribed Threads" to see all the latest threads of the cases you're following:

image.jpg

(Oldies, ignore the tutorial...just for newbies who might find this trick handy.)

How could you not be fearful though? Even though everyone feels this was a target you really don't know that it isn't.

Oh boy 0_o I have always thought there was a firearm used however that last sentence is unnerving considering the shenanigans going on down there with LE "falsely used in a missing weapons report" what the H E double hockeystix ???? :confused: oh wait, I guess maybe that means someone calling in a missing weapons report with that serial # to make it look stolen, or just to mess with the investigation...........sigh...... my brain hurts

Weren't there two arrests about police officers * using* things from the evidence room in a nearby community, or have I mixed up my cases?

Does anyone have information to know what I'm talking about I can explain it better if I am correct?

How could you not be fearful though? Even though everyone feels this was a target you really don't know that it isn't.

Right. Unless this killer is behind bars, there is indeed still a killer on the loose.

The wording of the paragraph about the firearm is pretty strange to me. I think it can be interpreted different ways, and I'm interested in what everyone thinks it means. But I'll say this overall - I think the MPD could have easily released more information with response to the open records request without jeopardizing anything. For example, in their arguments to withhold the 911 calls, they mention contact information and potential witnesses being harrassed, etc. The easy solution as we know is to bleep out the audio portions of the call that are objectionable to LE. Instead, they just don't release it at all. That isn't open and transparent government, IMHO. I want the case solved and don't want the public to hinder the investigation in any way. I just think they need to be held accountable by the public to make sure they're doing all that they can do.

I think they are doing all they can. I also think that not releasing the 911 tapes could be due to the fact we know there were at least 2 calls made. LE knows who made those calls and the info surrounding them. In my mind, those people are a non issue - they are in a sense victims too and are under no suspicion. Releasing the tapes could give us (the sleuthers) a lot to discuss but that would be questions LE already knows the answers to and we aren't privy to. IOW, info Le has thats not in question gets held close to keep from putting those callers thru unnecessary scrutiny. And, the caller(s) could have described what they saw in detail and LE doesn't want that info released and I can see why. I'd rather sit on the tapes then release a tape bleeped out to the point its useless. JMO

Just guessing here, but 911 call(s) may have mentioned "gunshot" or gun. Could put caller in jeopardy. Also, if LE has the serial number of the gun "associated" with the crime, then they have a gun. Yes, it could be Missys or it could be swatperps and it could be stolen. Thanks so much Cannonball.....now this is making more sense. JMO

They may have a gun if they have the serial number. Or, they may NOT have a gun, but may have the gun 'identified' - so with serial number already known. For example, this scenario: if they retrieved a bullet during her autopsy that was positively connected to a gun which already had its serial number and other identifying features on record because of the previous crime it was associated with. (Eg. one of the many guns stolen and in re-circulation from the Ellis County Sheriff's evidence room.)

It says they have provided information they feel is not exempt and then references exhibits. I don't see any exhibits, so could there have been information about 911 calls that was revealed.

Great find.

Over this past weekend, I made an open records request for 911 information from the MPD. While the request was denied based upon a ruling from the Texas AG's office, I read with interest the original letter MPD sent to the AG in which they asked for a ruling on the request (the original request came from NBC employee Donald Peritz).

In making their argument to the AG that the request should be denied, they state that there IS a firearm associated with this case.

I'll work on getting the full documentation uploaded for all to see, but here is a ss of the relevant portion of MPD's letter to the AG referencing the firearm (the yellow highlighting is mine):

attachment.php

Thank you so much! I knew there was a gun involved. Great detective work! I really hope this means they have more leads in this case and they are very close to an arrest. I think this is a very complicated case all the way around. Could it be tied to the other cases involving the stolen guns? Makes me wonder now about the other police officer that has been arrested since the murder. Poor Missy! I want whoever is responsible to pay for what they did. If that means they seal all warrants and info until an arrest I am ok with that. Undoubtedly a gun must have been mentioned in the 911 calls. They don't want the public to know a gun was involved. The question is why? Just my thoughts and opinions only.

The ATF will follow the SN from the first owner to the last and if there is a duplicated SN they will do the same, It takes time but i have no doubts they will figure out
who the last person was that had possession of that gun.

Also, A SN can't be changed by the average person - well, it can but it will be obvious. If it was done by someone one who knows how, say at a gun shop the ATF would still
be able to tell the new SN was freshly cut...and reputable gun shops won't just "change" a SN.
Anything other than normal wear w/ no altering will be detected by them.
MOO

Thank you so much! I knew there was a gun involved. Great detective work! I really hope this means they have more leads in this case and they are very close to an arrest. I think this is a very complicated case all the way around. Could it be tied to the other cases involving the stolen guns? Makes me wonder now about the other police officer that has been arrested since the murder. Poor Missy! I want whoever is responsible to pay for what they did. If that means they seal all warrants and info until an arrest I am ok with that. Undoubtedly a gun must have been mentioned in the 911 calls. They don't want the public to know a gun was involved. The question is why? Just my thoughts and opinions only.

BBM, I don't understand why they would be keeping a shooting secret either? We've heard that rumour via locals and the early Fox news report, and the people that found her (as well as countless others) would already know about it.

I can't help thinking this murder is linked to LE in some way, hence the lack of information. When was the last time the police overtly appealed for help in catching this killer?

My first thought on the gun is Missy kept a gun in her vehicle that was found during their search, not at all uncommon in Tx. I think the wording about the serial number at the end (about not releasing because it could be used later on a stolen firearm) sounds like standard wording they likely throw in on these requests. Anyone know if you can do a public search on those with a concealed handgun license in Tx?

My guess on the release is they don't want any of that information available - even to the point if the caller was male or female. I would think every small detail will be used to question possible persons of interest at this point, rule out false confessions, etc.I can't think of much the caller could say that I wouldn't consider relevant details they don't want public yet. The few portions of the call they consider safe to release have probably already been given to us in their statements - she was found by campers, she was unresponsive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam