GUILTY TX - William Lewis Reece, Serial Killer - Laura Smither, 12, Kelli Cox, 20, and Jessica Cain, 17

I think William Reece might be responsible for the first three murders in the Killing Field off Calder Road. Heide Fye, Laura Miller; and Jane Doe now known as Audrey Lee Cook. Somewhere on websleuths, it is stated Reece worked for Robert Abel (NASA engineer) who was accused. Reece's victims were always left in the nude; some were strangled. Reece was in the Houston area around 1984. I think it may have been him. One report said his first rape was a student in Oklahoma in 1986. When she asked him why he was doing this, he said because, "I am crazy." That response makes me think this was not his first attack.

William Reece, 62, pleaded guilty in a courtroom in Galveston in the 1997 killings of 12-year-old Laura Smither of Friendswood and 17-year-old Jessica Cain of Tiki Island.
William Reece pleaded guilty Wednesday in a courtroom in Galveston and nearby Angleton in the 1997 killings of 12-year-old Laura Smither of Friendswood, 17-year-old Jessica Cain of Tiki Island and 20-year-old Kelli Cox of Denton.
22180674670112.jpg

William Reece sits in 405th District Court Judge Jared Robinson's courtroom in Galveston, Texas, on Wednesday, June 29, 2022, after listening to Laura Kate Smither's mother, Gay, read a victim impact statement.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Just realised this is from July this year. It came up as current news.

Anyway I'll leave it here. May be of interest.
Thanks followed this awhile. May have come up because Netflix has a three part on the Killing Fields and this case.

Thanks followed this awhile. May have come up because Netflix has a three part on the Killing Fields and this case.
The Netflix series is really good. It added on the information about Reece's confession to murdering the 3 girls at the very end of the third episode. It didn't explain that he did so because of the case in Oklahoma.

“All four of these girls [were] at the wrong place at the wrong time,” Doug Bacon, a retired detective with the Friendswood Police Department in Texas, said in a new “20/20” interview with ABC News Correspondent John Quiñones. “They were doing ordinary things…and they just happened to cross the path of a serial killer.”

“Everybody loved Laura,” Gay Smither, Laura’s mother, told Quiñones. “She was just one of those people. I always say she was touched by light.”

Kelli Cox was a bright 20-year-old student at the University of North Texas and a new mother to her baby girl, Alexis. An aspiring therapist, Cox toured the City of Denton Jail with her criminal justice class on July 15, 1997.

When the class trip was over, Cox returned to her car but the key would not work. She proceeded to call her boyfriend from a pay phone at a nearby gas station.

On the evening of July 26, 1997, an officer spotted an abandoned white Dodge Neon sedan at the Sunshine Car Wash.

Tiffany Johnston taken at car wash

Lynn Williams, a former Division Director of the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, said the conditions of the vehicle were suspicious.

“The car was unlocked. The keys were in the ignition. There was money in the console…so it didn’t appear to be a robbery,” Williams said.

The Cains’ 17-year-old daughter, Jessica, was a talented stage actor set to begin college.

“She was a parent’s dream. She was as good a child as you could ever want,” C.H. Cain said about their daughter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back