TX TX - Yogurt Shop Murders, Austin, 6 Dec 1991

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by colette, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Via Marple

Via Marple Here to learn how devious minds work

Another report (USA Today) that seems to have more details on the FBI story

Austin yogurt shop murder cold case hinges on DNA that FBI won't share

Scientists say Y-strands can create large pools of family members that may be in the hundreds or thousands. In a statement, the FBI said that such male-specific profiles “are not a means of personal identification.” “This isn’t like we open the envelope and we know who the killer is,” Murphy said. “We open the envelope, and we find out the killer’s last name is Jones.”

2. Tuffgong

Tuffgong On Time Out

But if there was a "Jones" the APD got a tip on thirty years ago, it is a lead. And APD has very few of those.

3. Tuffgong

Tuffgong On Time Out

Numerous people reported the weird guys at the booth and have strong beliefs that they did it. What did they all say those guys were doing, drinking sodas out of a can. Drinking out of a can. A can that got thrown in the trash, at the top of the trash bag. A can that would have DNA on it.

brado, SAMS and MajorHoople like this.
  4. fruit loop

fruit loop Member

I’ve been a genealogist for 30 years. I deal with genetic genealogy to trace relatives AND help adoptees trace their real parents. IT IS **NOT** DIFFICULT TO TRACE ONE PERSON OUT OF DOZENS OR EVEN A FEW HUNDRED DNA MATCHES. I don’t charge a dime for it, either, and I’m sure law enforcement has paid experts on hand with better resources than I have to cut the time !

All investigators will have to do is eliminate, eliminate, eliminate those descendents. First, cross off the females. Cross off anyone born shortly before and after 1991. Then compile lists of addresses and whereabouts. Nobody who wasn’t in or near Austin on that date. And so forth.

Any halfway competent genealogist can do that in an afternoon - or a few days if it IS hundreds or thousands. Hell, feed it onto a computer database and it will spit out candidates. Give it to me - I’ll do it for free. Disabled now with nothing but time.

Most innocent people ARE willing to help in a murder investigation, ESPECIALLY if the victims are children. Those samples will help point them closer to, or away, from a suspect. If not, follow them till they toss that cigarette butt or coffee cup.

It can be done. That APD and FBI won’t even try tells a lot of ugly truths! They are incompetent, lazy, unprofessional, dishonest and completely unethical.

windrower, teedie2, kai and 11 others like this.
  5. Via Marple

Via Marple Here to learn how devious minds work

So- the new break in the LISK case was greatly assisted by some new DNA genealogy work by FBI, even though the local LE were restricted by state laws not to use it.

I can see a bit of irony here. Let's hope that they will finally decide to cooperate in another famous cold case in Austin TX.

6. Teletex82

Teletex82 New Member

Longtime lurker here, signed up to comment on this case.

I grew up in San Antonio but moved to Austin to attend college in 2000 and lived there for the better part of 12 years. Obviously, this case has weighed on the city ever since it happened. One thing to remember is that, in those days, Austin was still very much a college and bar kind of town and hadn't seen anything of this level since perhaps the UT Tower Shootings. The APD were clearly out of their depth. There is audio, might be some video too not sure, of a CBS crew that just happened to be following the APD homicide unit that night as part of a larger story on homicide in Texas cities. You can hear the apprehension in the homicide detective's voice when the call comes in of a possible multiple homicide.

One thing that I've always felt is that the murders appear to show a certain level of understanding of not only the shops operation but the strip mall as a whole. To sit there and hold four young women against their will, assault them sexually, murder them, and set the shop on fire is not something a person would confidently attempt without knowing exactly what times all the other businesses closed and people left. This makes me think that the killer(s) were possibly known to at least one of the girls, if not all of them, and was familiar with the other businesses in the strip mall.

There was a time when I thought maybe the owner of the shop was involved in some sort illegal activity, perhaps money laundering for organised crime, and the murders were to send a message.

I think now, with the dna evidence recovered in subsequent years, it feels more personal than it did initially. Someone earlier on in the thread raised the possibility of Amy being sexually active. Could it be possible that she became involved in a sexual relationship with an older man that turned sour? Maybe as a result of grooming by someone known to girls. She ended it or maybe was found out by one of the other girls and they threatened to expose the predator and he decided to kill them to cover his tracks?

Just something that occurred to me, probably way off base but you never know. Either way, I hope this is resolved sooner than later. The families deserve closure.

windrower, kai, dixiegirl1035 and 8 others like this.
  7. SAMS

SAMS TC Writer

8. Luvbugzmama

Luvbugzmama New Member

I would love to see this case solved and closed. It was horrible. I lived in Austin at the time and had just graduated HS the year prior. My friends and i went to that yogurt shop a lot. Yes, Austin was very different then and it rocked the city.

JnRyan, MajorHoople, RaechelK and 4 others like this.
  9. SAMS

SAMS TC Writer

Following

10. Sonny Crockett

Sonny Crockett Well-Known Member

Just started reading up on this heinous crime recently. I had heard about it over the years, but didn't know the details until now.

It's horrible that these four innocent young women were victimized & killed like this. This would have been an unusually horrific crime no matter where it had occurred, but this is especially true due to it happening in Austin, TX - which was not (and still isn't) known for extremely violent crimes like this.

And, what's also awful is that several innocent men were arrested & convicted of these crimes with 0 evidence. I discount the alleged "confessions" since we all know those can (and are) coerced all the time. It sounds like the authorities were under extreme pressure to close/solve the case, which is what led to these convictions. Terrible.

I wonder what the motive was here - was this a random & sick crime of opportunity, or did the perpetrators have some kind of specific anger/hatred towards one or more of these young women?! Had any/all of them been stalked prior to this?! I.e., were one or more of these women specifically targeted ahead of time - and were the others just in the wrong place @ the wrong time?!

I'll definitely need to do more research on this case.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    windrower, RaechelK, SAMS and 3 others like this.
  11. TedMac

TedMac Well-Known Member

12. jbirner

jbirner Well-Known Member

I'm hoping a new set of eyes and maybe a renewed focus on this case can get it at least to another level in the investigation. It seems like this case has been stuck in neutral for some time now and I hope they can at least someday find a match for this DNA. I agree with the family that someone needs to be paying for this crime.