U.S. judge quits commission to protest Justice Department forensic science policy

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by ~Lyric~, Jan 29, 2015.

1. ~Lyric~

~Lyric~ Where is the Justice for Holly Bobo?

I just came across this article and found it so very interesting.
    I have always questioned the relationship between LE and the Forensics community.
    In my humble opinion, the Forensics community should not have any kind of restraints put upon them from any agency.
    Let the facts show what they show.
    We have seen too many cases go up in smoke, or too many innocent ones go to prison only to be found later innocent due to misconduct.

What do you say?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ed0a84-a7bb-11e4-a2b2-776095f393b2_story.html

2. Loading...

3. ~Lyric~

Federal Judge resigns from National Commission on Forensic Science
    http://www.thetruthaboutforensicsci...resigns-national-commission-forensic-science/

Portion of Letter:

Just a little more from the article:

4. ~Lyric~

Federal Judge Quits Panel Over Proposed Evidence Rules
    Calls Decision to Limit Trials’ Discovery Phase ‘Unsupportable’

http://www.wsj.com/articles/federal-judge-quits-panel-on-evidence-rules-1422543214

5. wendybtn

wendybtn Well-Known Member

Very brave for him to take this stand. I hope it does some good. I am sure he worshiped for the same.

6. time

time New Member

Very interesting. Thank you for posting Lyric... off to read, but I agree with all you've said.

It does not seem like a fair an unbiased process the way it is.

7. time

time New Member

Reading more, it seems he has rejoined the panel after DOJ backed down!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...031d9e-a89c-11e4-a2b2-776095f393b2_story.html

A federal judge Friday returned to a presidential commission on forensic science after the U.S. Justice Department reversed a decision to bar the panel from discussing changes that would give criminal defendants more information about forensic evidence before their trials, a federal official said.

U.S. District Judge Jed S. Rakoff of the Southern District of New York had resigned in protest Wednesday from the Obama administration panel, accusing the department of placing “strategic advantage [for prosecutors] over a search for the truth.”

....Prosecutors routinely share evidence with defense lawyers, but Rakoff and other commissioners propose that criminal defendants be allowed the same access before trial to government forensic evidence as defendants in federal civil court cases.
    In an e-mail to colleagues, Rakoff wrote that it is only through disclosure of scientific results and methods “that forensic science can be meaningfully scrutinized in any specific case” and that “trial by ambush” can be avoided.

The panel began work last year in response to growing criticism by scientists and many legal experts about the quality of forensic evidence used in criminal cases. Citing lab scandals and exonerations, critics have said that police and prosecutors exercise too much control over crime labs, which suffer from weak standards over research, testimony and examinations.