Uh-oh I've threatened to do this to my kids...

I always just stopped the car on the side of the road or in a safe spot and refused to drive further until they calmed down.

This is brilliant. I plan to add it to my bag of tricks.

It really, really, really worked! I remember it being hot and dry and we were picking up garbage while my parent's supervised! It was so horrible! :eek: :D

I am one who has let her kids out on the side of the road for misbehaving!

Toward the end of a 12-hour journey in which all 3 kids (12, 11, 8) were at each others throats incessantly, I told them that the next time it happened I would make them walk. They did and I told them to get out and start walking. Of course, it was a fairly deserted roadway and I inched along behind them along the side of the road for about 1/4 mile. It was enough and they were on their best behavior for the rest of the trip!

When the 11-year old was 16, he decided to get belligerent with me while we were driving on a main road in our small town. I kept telling him he needed to watch his mouth and be quiet but he just kept arguing. Finally, I just pulled over. Immediately he said, "I'm sorry, Mama. I'm sorry, Mama!" Afterward we were talking about it and he said, "I just KNEW you were going to put me out and make me walk and all my friends would drive by and see me walking with you trailing behind!" Lessons learned!!!!!

Of course, I may not have done this if my kids were legally blind! That's a little extreme and dangerous!

LOL My mom did the same thing to us! She had threatened for so long that we never even took her seriously anymore! One day we were all being jerks in the car, fighting, screaming etc. so she pulled over to the side of the road and yelled "Get out!- Get out of my car, now!!"

She left us for about 5 minutes and by the time she came back we had learned our lesson and never fooled around in the car anymore! LOL such fond memories :)

notice how alot of you say something close but not really the same. country road close to home. stayed with the kids. followed the kid. pulled over but didnt put them out. 10, blind. interstate. the child can hear the car pull off. he can not see how far away it is. he heard her leave and he is blind. i doubt he thought he could find his way home. i imagine he could feel the wind as cars raced by on the interstate. imagine we are reading a baby sitter did this. a school bus driver. maybe if the child was not blind... but he was. he was completely lost in a strange environment with no way to help himself.

When I was in elementary school, I rode the bus with the "Kester kids." They were some of the worst behaved kids I'd ever seen! They'd been "held back" repeatedly, so they were much older than all of the others on the bus. Their behavior was deplorable. Cliff, our bus driver, would warn them once; then he would stop the bus and either put them off, take them off and spank them, or take them off and holler at them for five minutes. (This was during the mid to late 70s.)
I didn't ride the bus during middle school, but by the time I went back to it in high school, he had them well-trained. It only took a "look" from him for them to settle down. While they were often suspended for their behavior in school, they had learned to behave on Cliff's bus. In the end, they all dropped out of school. I think they're in prison now--not surprisingly. Today, Cliff would doubtless be fired for behaving as he did, but I think he's the one person in the world they actually had/have respect for--may he RIP.
I loved him--he was a good man, very protective of his young charges.

On another note, these kids had a horrible home-life. CPS just wouldn't do anything! (I know Cliff reported them over and over again, trying to get the boys help.)

A friend of mine was left to walk home a mile from a grocery store as a child by her mom. She told her and her sister to behave or she was leaving them and she left them.
I just threaten mine by telling them i am selling them to gypsies b/c thats what my mom did to us. Well, she didn't sell us only threatend to, I had better clarify that.

And then you have this type of parent:
http://www.woio.com/Global/story.asp?S=6545367&nav=menu68_2
Foster Parent Killed Trying To Help Son
May 21, 2007 11:47 AM EDT

Akron, OH - A man was struck and killed Saturday night apparently trying to get help for his foster son. (more at link) (Sorry, it's only 3 paragraphs long so I can't post more here!)

I'm not saying that what the mother and aunt did was right, but people keep saying that the kid is blind.

What the story said is that the child is "legally blind". There are varying degrees of "legally blind".

Growing up, we were always told that one of my cousins is "legally blind". She wears very thick eyeglasses. She does have a drivers liscense though, and she drives.

I work in a building with a couple of people who are "legally blind". They both come to work every day and count money just fine.

I don't think being "legally blind" makes you helpless. Sure, it's a disadvantage, but it's not the same as being totally blind.

i stopped the car once when my middle son was mouthing off at me....pulled off the side of I-265 & told him to "GET OUT".....he looked at me & said "you're kidding?"......i said "GET....OUT!".......& he did.....

course he wasn't legally blind & he wasn't 10 yrs old....(he was 16)....we've had an 'understanding' ever since that day, & he apologized once he made the 3 hour walk home.....

putting a 10 yr old out on the road, is wrong though......imo

I'm not saying that what the mother and aunt did was right, but people keep saying that the kid is blind.

What the story said is that the child is "legally blind". There are varying degrees of "legally blind".

Growing up, we were always told that one of my cousins is "legally blind". She wears very thick eyeglasses. She does have a drivers liscense though, and she drives.

I work in a building with a couple of people who are "legally blind". They both come to work every day and count money just fine.

I don't think being "legally blind" makes you helpless. Sure, it's a disadvantage, but it's not the same as being totally blind.

Yes there are different degrees of it. My vision is mostly lacking in peripheral and its black, if it spreads I will not be able to see but what is directly in front of my face, nothing on the side which will mean I cannot drive that way obviously as I would be a huge hazard for an accident. After awhile it will look like grayish smears and spots blocking out vision even in my frontal vision. Legally blind can mean that you are so near sighted you need very strong prescription lenses but it could be much worse. We cannot know that without having a detailed description. Besides I personally would never do it to my child. Being close to being picked up by possible molestors a few times has made my mom alert on high and I am very protective over my daughter. They may be fine but if something did happen I cant imagine the guilt the parent would feel.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back