UK UK - Ada Constance Kent, 67, Whalebone Corner England, ~1939

Discussion in 'Pre-1960's Missing' started by Thor2000, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Thor2000

Thor2000 New Member

I'm looking for info on the case of a woman named Ada Constance Kent, a reclusive woman who vanished from her home in Whalebone Corner, England. According to the case, the police searched her home but found no trace of her, but years later when a deposit was made to her bank account, the police returned to her home and found her skeletal remains sitting in a chair in her dining room. I was wondering if this was a true story or just a ghost story passed off as real?

2. Loading...

3. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

I found this article for purchase:

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F70A10FE3859157A93C1AB1788D85F4D8485F9

However, I got hits on up to 3 articles (could be repeats hits) from articles on ancestry.com. I no longer have a subscription, but there are members here that do.

I would go down the the genealogy forum in the private threads area for members only and request a lookup for those articles if anyone has the time to do so.

Let me know...I'm interested to, I love an old mystery.

4. Kat

Ohhhhhh this one might be good! I went to ancestry and there are quite a few articles that have info on her case.

You can see a few words here and there and so far it has piqued my interest :)

5. missy8394

missy8394 New Member

I found several copies of newspaper articles. Rather than trying to get them uploaded to a photobucket account, it was easier to create an album on my profile page and save them there.

6. anne11

anne11 New Member

7. Joanie

Joanie New Member

Respectfully snipped... the British use "deposit" in this instance to mean an account, in other words, there was not any recent activity to trigger anything. The bank had an account that she had started and they probably didn't know what to do with the money, so they may have asked the police to go in and figure out whether there was anything in the house that would give the name of a next of kin, etc.
    Those articles are so typical of the times, aren't they? No mention of relatives, and it's amazing to think that her house sat unoccupied for years. It doesn't even sound like they looked into her disappearance very deeply. No body, no crime. The house sat for years...

It is probable that the skeleton was that of a squatter, who was living in the home long after Ada disappeared. Strange, very strange....

Thank you for posting such an interesting case!

8. anne11

anne11 New Member

Deposit in banking jargon means to add funds/pay money into an account. I'm trying to find the inquest details, and pictures of her.

9. Kat

I do find it very interesting myself. I love mysteries of course like most here do :)

10. Kat

11. anne11

anne11 New Member

12. Archangel85

Archangel85 Active Member