GUILTY UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -*arrest* #8

I remember at the time being mystified by this case and by the overwhelming nature of the physical evidence given that AC was meant to be super intelligent. I'm referring to the phenomenon of "The Paradox of Unanimity" IE the "Too good to be true" suspicion. Washington Post ArticleThere was little attempt to find "merit" in his defense and some have suggested a rush to judgement.

My doubts at the time of course are demolished by the confession! That was in itself puzzling because AC said he was innocent all through the trial. What changed to make him confess, especially as I see from a lot of the comments here people believe him to be clever and calculating? Was Dr MacPherson just supremely adept in interviewing wrong-doers? The Dr himself was subject of a scandal in the past for declaring himself to have qualifications he didn't at that time possess. Not a good character trait. The language quoted in the confession didn't seem the language of a 16 year old either. Dr MacPherson's methods at the time were also criticised by Dr Lorraine Johnstone, Head of Child and Family Clinical Psychology at the Centre for Youth and Criminal Justice, University of Strathclyde. The complete reversal of AC's defense just seems weird especially as it was more plausible than people make out. I guess folk have been compelled to carry the can before by threats to loved ones and he has a wee sister. Ah well, that's another can of worms I guess.

I remember at the time being mystified by this case and by the overwhelming nature of the physical evidence given that AC was meant to be super intelligent.
RSBM.

Lots of "intelligent" people have been convicted of crimes.

He knew the evidence before the trial and knew he was going to get convicted, what followed was his own grotesque pantomime.
What changed to make him confess, especially as I see from a lot of the comments here people believe him to be clever and calculating?
He confessed for the same reason as he tried to blame TM, to cause as much pain as possible.

He didn't spare any detail of the horrors he inflicted on poor little Alesha. He did omit how he abducted her, which I'm sure will still be preying on their minds.

He wanted to be in the courtroom to see the families' reactions. Absolutely nothing to do with the abilities of the psychologist.
I guess folk have been compelled to carry the can before by threats to loved ones and he has a wee sister.
He's not carrying the can for anyone. It's really simple if you take the facts just as they are. As you say there was an "overwhelming nature of physical evidence". And a confession.

If you want to believe AC isn't guilty then you'd have to have an Olympic gold in mental gymnastics.

All IMHO.

RSBM.

Lots of "intelligent" people have been convicted of crimes.

He knew the evidence before the trial and knew he was going to get convicted, what followed was his own grotesque pantomime.

He confessed for the same reason as he tried to blame TM, to cause as much pain as possible.

He didn't spare any detail of the horrors he inflicted on poor little Alesha. He did omit how he abducted her, which I'm sure will still be preying on their minds.

He wanted to be in the courtroom to see the families' reactions. Absolutely nothing to do with the abilities of the psychologist.

He's not carrying the can for anyone. It's really simple if you take the facts just as they are. As you say there was an "overwhelming nature of physical evidence". And a confession.

If you want to believe AC isn't guilty then you'd have to have an Olympic gold in mental gymnastics.

All IMHO.

I agree. 100%.

I realised today that he is 21 now and that means big boy jail, so I checked to see if he had been moved and found this :mad:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back